Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
** THE OFFICIAL COLORADO ACTIVES THREAD **
    #21952493 - 07/16/15 03:33 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Place: Denver, Colorado

Habitat: School field in long grass

Time: July 16, 2015 1pm

I have been wanting to find these for a while now, but all I have ever come across were foes... In fact I started to believe that maybe I was unable to distinguish the two apart and was maybe finding both... until today! After finding foes for many years, I can tell you that when you get a sub in your hand, you can tell instantly!!!

--------------------

Edited by isic (07/18/15 08:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStonedBanana
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: isic]
    #21952535 - 07/16/15 03:43 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Get me a print :thumbup: Have a nice trip man

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #21952549 - 07/16/15 03:45 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

That is some serious bluing! I'd save a few to get 100% identification, it could be something interesting.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: StonedBanana]
    #21952578 - 07/16/15 03:49 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

The prints are in the works right now and I'm not sure I plan on eating them... (I have cubes) I just love the hunt. With mushrooms I feel the saying "the journey is greater than the destination" really is true. I always love looking for and finding mushrooms more than actually experimenting with them. With that said... I STILL LOVE TO TRIP!

One of the most satisfying and rewarding hobbies around! Days like this, I feel like a million bucks!

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Anglerfish]
    #21952597 - 07/16/15 03:54 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anglerfish said:
That is some serious bluing! I'd save a few to get 100% identification, it could be something interesting.

I hear ya and I'll have prints soon, but I am 99.9% sure that these are Panaeolus cinctulus. I have found a bunch of mushrooms I thought were subbs, but could never be too sure... but when I found these, it was like lightning striking me... I fucking knew it! LOL!

--------------------

Edited by isic (07/16/15 05:39 PM)

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21953558 - 07/16/15 08:04 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Wow that bluing looks nice! In Denver you say? This is a big deal man, tons of people have picked subbs around here, and I've never seen pics of any that turned such a vivid blue. We truly are having an unusually good season in Colorado. I'm just south of you, if you know what I mean. Guess I need to start looking a little harder! How moist and maintained was the field? Were there any creeks or rivers nearby (within a mile or two?)

If you get a positive from a TI, you have to try them man. Do it for me. :P I think you could also lay claim to the Official Colorado Actives thread if you so choose.

Quote:

In fact I started to believe that maybe I was unable to distinguish the two apart and was maybe finding both... until today! After finding foes for many years, I can tell you that when you get a sub in your hand, you can tell instantly!!!

I feel the same way, your find has brought me a lot of hope and encouragement! Hopefully this will be the year.

--------------------
"You decadent pig. Where the fuck do you get the nerve to go around telling those wops that I'm crazy? You worthless cocksucker. My Italian tour is already arranged for next spring & I'm going to do the whole goddamn trip wearing a bright red field marshal's uniform & accompanied by six speed-freak bodyguards bristling with Mace bombs & when I start talking about American writers & the name Tom Wolfe comes up, by god, you're going to wish you were born a fucking iguana!" - Hunter S. Thompson, 03/03/71 Letter to Tom Wolfe.

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/16/15 08:29 PM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: EnergyTurtle]
    #21953651 - 07/16/15 08:29 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

EnergyTurtle said:
Wow that bluing looks nice! In Denver you say? This is a big deal man, tons of people have picked subbs around here, and I've never seen pics of any that turned such a vivid blue. We truly are having an unusually good season in Colorado. I'm just south of you, if you know what I mean. Guess I need to start looking a little harder! How moist and maintained was the field?

If you get a positive from a TI, you have to try them man. Do it for me. :P I think you could also lay claim to the Official Colorado Actives thread if you so choose.

Yeah, I have never found subbs in Denver before today, but this field is clearly watered frequently with sprinklers. The grass does not appear to be mowed often... maybe every 2 weeks if I had to guess. It was pretty long. 6 to 8 inches long in some places. I also noticed that the grass is not collected as there was old grass clippings from the last time it was mowed. I also found a bunch of possible conocybe mushrooms in the same area.

I was pretty excited when I pulled the first mushroom up and saw how blue it was. I knew then I was gonna spend at least another hour searching for more.

How would I go about laying claim to the official Colorado Actives thread? That is something I would be interested in doing.

If you live in Colorado, send me a PM sometime

I might try these to see what kind of effect they bring. :shroomin:

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21953674 - 07/16/15 08:35 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Nice, keep an eye on the conocybes as C. cyanopus is another one of the few active species that can produce psilocin in our climate. They're really rare, I read a thread from a few years ago where everyone practically flipped their lids over a guys cyanopus score. It's probably too late in the season for those though.

I'll definitely send you a pm sometime, from the sound of things I'm looking in the wrong types of field. I have a few in mind now that I'm going to check out tomorrow. I'd be giddy as a schoolgirl about a find like this. :wink:

If it's still possible to change the title of the first post in this thread, you could change it to something like "Official Colorado Actives Thread", and if a mod or admin disagrees they'll usually let you know and you can change the title back. 

If you decide to try them, you can always go with a concentrated tincture (use Everclear) if you want to avoid eating a lot of mushroom mass. No telling how potent these are though, they look like pretty high quality subbs.

--------------------
"You decadent pig. Where the fuck do you get the nerve to go around telling those wops that I'm crazy? You worthless cocksucker. My Italian tour is already arranged for next spring & I'm going to do the whole goddamn trip wearing a bright red field marshal's uniform & accompanied by six speed-freak bodyguards bristling with Mace bombs & when I start talking about American writers & the name Tom Wolfe comes up, by god, you're going to wish you were born a fucking iguana!" - Hunter S. Thompson, 03/03/71 Letter to Tom Wolfe.

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/16/15 08:44 PM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21953882 - 07/16/15 09:22 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, definitely not cyanopus. I will be going back first thing in the morning (because that's when I was most successful with cubes down in Texas) to see if I can find some more subbs.

I hope the morning dew brings up a few more, but I might have more success the next time it rains.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21954489 - 07/17/15 12:27 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Here is the spore print of the biggest specimen I found.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21954958 - 07/17/15 07:02 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

It's hard to tell the exact color on the foil in that pic, but it looks like a good subb print. Subbs usually lay a thicker deposit of spores, but these likely dropped a good majority of their spores by the time you got them home.

How was the weather when you found these? I went looking yesterday as well, but I found exactly zero panaeolus mushrooms, not even the foes that usually grow all over the place in my local cemetery. Just two stinkhorns, some horny puffballs, and some tiny translucent Conocybe-type mushrooms. I was there a few days ago and there were foes out the yin yang, but yesterday we had very low moisture and no clouds until late in the afternoon. I did see some heavy looking storms up north of us, did you guys get any of that?

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/17/15 08:12 AM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21955154 - 07/17/15 08:30 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I know it's hard to tell in the pic, but that spore print is super jet black. With the bluing and spore print, I am positive that these are subbs.

The weather yesterday was really hot and dry. About 90 degrees. We did get some clouds, but no rain. And the clouds came after I had already picked my haul. But the night before I found them, we had a good rain storm that lasted an hour or so. I really think the rain is what brought those subbs up.

I went back first thing this morning and I didn't find a single specimen even though the grass was really wet. I looked for about an hour, but no luck. I did find some of those small white conocybes and some really small puffballs, but no subbs and no foes. I also have not seen any foes that usually scatter my lawn.

We are supposed to get rain this weekend, so I hope my chances will be better come the beginning of next week.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: isic] * 1
    #21955187 - 07/17/15 08:42 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Wow.  PM me.  I agree the tall, wet, infrequently mowed (lawn) grass is the best place to look for active pans.  All it takes is a bad scalping by the mowers, and a hot day or two, and it can ruin a spot.  CO weather lately has been actually wet and somewhat cloudy.

I have found C. cyanopus once, a small flush of perhaps 15-20, they never came back.

I notice that the active pans in my part of CO do come back in the same spots.  As the sun starts to lean towards the equator in teh late summer and fall, spots start getting more shade.

And I agree, the hunt is part of it.  I walk at least 25 miles a week. 

--------------------
The more I see mushrooms, the more I see mushrooms. I swear it gets into you.

Edited by Gilzman (07/17/15 08:45 AM)

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Gilzman]
    #21955277 - 07/17/15 09:15 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I went back first thing this morning and I didn't find a single specimen even though the grass was really wet. I looked for about an hour, but no luck. I did find some of those small white conocybes and some really small puffballs, but no subbs and no foes. I also have not seen any foes that usually scatter my lawn

I noticed that you picked those around 1pm, and honestly they still look pretty fresh. I have a theory that maybe the morning isn't the best time to look for pans around here. I almost always have better luck in the early afternoon. The "morning chill" lasts a bit longer here than it does in other parts of the country, so perhaps we should be picking a little later in the day than most do. If it's not too far away, you should check the spot again a little later when the heat starts to set in. Hopefully you can score some more, if you have a nice lawn you could always try to get a culture growing in your yard. I think there's some teks for that on this site.

Quote:

I have found C. cyanopus once, a small flush of perhaps 15-20, they never came back.

I notice that the active pans in my part of CO do come back in the same spots.  As the sun starts to lean towards the equator in teh late summer and fall, spots start getting more shade.

Nice, do you have much experience consuming the active subbs from around here? I'm wondering about the dosage, with the bluing in the samples above I'm guessing that potency of CO subbs is probably quite variable.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21956088 - 07/17/15 01:09 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Bingo, I went back around 11:30 am today and found 4 more subbs! I decided to walk around the school to see what I could find and I thought I found the mother load, but they were just foes.

I really think that between 10am and noon, might be the right time to harvest subbs. the grass was much warmer and I could feel that it was much more humid closer to the ground, than it was this morning. Seems to be perfect after the sun had been on it for a few hours, but I think a good rain storm will do the trick for a massive haul.

Man, I can't wait for the late summer/early fall rains!

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21956918 - 07/17/15 04:40 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

No success with my subb hunt today, but I found a pretty decent spot to check in the future. I may have found two tiny subbs but I didn't even bother with them, they were so pathetic.

The foes were popping all over this field though, much larger and stouter than I have ever seen before. I also found a few of the usual-sized foes, some mica caps, lots of agaricus, and a few puffballs here and there.

The field matches your description pretty closely; watered every day, looks like it's mowed about once every two weeks. You can definitely feel a humidity difference just standing in the field (compared to everywhere else), the heat and humidity rise from the moist grass and make a little micro environment that's perfect for mushrooms. I checked a nearby cemetery, and the difference was astonishing. I found virtually no LBMs there, only mica caps and agaricus.

I went out about the same time as you, hunted a handful of parks from around 11:00am to 4:00pm. Found fuck all as far as subb patches go though. Tomorrow's another day. :P

Glad to hear you were able to score a few more, you oughta make a jug of slurry to encourage more to grow, not sure how effective that would be but it's worth a shot. Put a few spore-ripe caps in a jug of water with a sprinkle of good soil and nutrients, and pour it out over the spot where you found them.

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/17/15 04:43 PM)

OfflineLepkaun
Super Stooper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Close and Far Flag
    #21957329 - 07/17/15 06:14 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Sweet little treat dude.:congrats:

--------------------

Leppy say's::strokebeard:Seek and you will find!Ask and they will guide you!Listen and be taught!!:leaving:

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Lepkaun]
    #21958044 - 07/17/15 08:58 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I should have posted this first thing, but this definitely belongs in this thread:

:baaaam:

Score 1 for the Colorado pickers, finally. :P

--------------------

InvisibleBlazer420
ŦøжїϿ ÐȐȜȧƜƐȓ

#21958195 - 07/17/15 09:24 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

wicked haul :highfive:

--------------------
~ I used to get high on life, until I realized life was cut with morons ~
* You need 2 wake up and smell the music! *
- We are all computer data in a materialistic world -
| Sometimes you have to lose yourself, to find anything |

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Blazer420]
    #21958319 - 07/17/15 09:52 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I found huge Foes, all dark brown spores.  They were in a known good spot that will hopefully change when the conditions are right.  Other than that, too hot and dry.

Down to the last of my guys it seems.  Might as well go for broke?

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21959656 - 07/18/15 08:37 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Hey fellow Colorado mushroom freaks! Thanks to EnergyTurtle's idea and permission from Mr. Rockefeller himself, I will turn this thread into the Official Colorado Actives thread!

I know Colorado isn't known as a hotspot for actives, but we do have some and now we have an Official thread to post our finds!

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21959902 - 07/18/15 10:15 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Happy dance!

:africaface: :prettyflyforawhiteguy: :fuckyeahdance: :hellyeah: :stayfunky: :thatsjustswell:

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/18/15 10:19 AM)

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21960028 - 07/18/15 11:03 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

WOW! Now all we need is some rain...

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21960236 - 07/18/15 11:56 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

3rd day in a row finding subbs. 27 specimens on day1, 4 on day2 and 6 on day3! I even dug up a portion of the base to scope some pins. It was hard to focus in on these little shits, but I got a few pics of today's find.

In the third pic, if you look hard enough, you can see little tiny blue pins.

BRING THE RAIN!

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21960258 - 07/18/15 12:01 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Nice, sounds like that patch is treating you well! I meant to ask if you could get a pic of the foenisecii which grow in that field, for comparison? Are the gills on the fresh foenisecii noticeably lighter in color than the fresh subbs? How about the caps? Your fresh subbs seem a little more grey (less brown anyway) than the fresh foes that I've been finding.

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/18/15 12:02 PM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21960426 - 07/18/15 12:39 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Unfortunately I did not get a pic of them in the grass, but I did get a pic of them when I returned home. I also wanna be clear that these foes were found at the same school, but a completely different area and patch of grass. In fact, the grass was a different kind from the grass where the subbs are found.

The grass the foes were found in was a much more fine, less thick grass that sees a lot of shade. It's the grass right along the building that doesn't get played on and it's under a bunch of trees. The foes were found in a group that was in only about a 5x5 foot area. No other foes in the rest of the yards of grass in that "patch" of grass. Or the whole school for that matter.

The subbs on the other hand grow all throughout the "playing field" next to the playground. I would say the range was maybe 50 yards by 75 yards. The grass is much thicker, looks like it gets watered more, but mowed less. There really is no shade in this field and I think the long grass is what shades the subbs at this particular location.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21960981 - 07/18/15 03:15 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I may have scored a small handful of subbs, I'm running a print now to check them out. Hopefully they'll drop enough spores for me to get a good ID, cause they are some tiny specimens.

I'm feeling hopeful though because despite their size, I think I may have observed some visible bluing on about five of them. When I first pulled them out of the grass, I could see a tiny dot of bright blue on the mycelium threads. These are so small that my eyes may have been playing tricks on me, but it looked pretty blue, almost like the mycelium was infected with a blue mold at the base. No blue on the stems whatsoever. I tried to handle them as carefully as I could so I could bring them back and get a pic of this, but I think that the moisture in my hands ruined it or something, the stems darkened to a deep purple (almost black) and went limp, now you can't see the blue on any of the specimens. The mycelium was the only part of the mushroom that was truly white before the stems went limp, which may be why the blue was able to come through so clearly. But now the mycelium is as dark as the stem.

It could have just been my eyes; hopefully I'll get a good print and my suspicions will be vindicated.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21961293 - 07/18/15 04:36 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Here is the prints from the foes I found today. To my surprise, the prints are much darker than the specimens I take from my backyard. I am still pretty sure these are foes (because there was no bluing present) but the prints are a whole hell of a lot closer in color to the subb prints.

Definitely makes me wonder...

EDIT: Here is a comparison... foe vs foe prints. The 2 on the right are from my backyard, and the rest on the left are from the school.

Edited by isic (07/18/15 09:11 PM)

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21962056 - 07/18/15 07:44 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I dunno, they look close to your subb print from earlier, but I think I detect just a hint of purple in those foe spore prints. I think I'm getting the hang of this now, I've been looking at a lot of comparison photos and collecting lots of Panaeolus for the last two days. If my suspicions are right, then I actually collected quite a few subbs yesterday but ditched them. Today I found a field pretty close to home where I think that the subbs actually outnumber the foes. Here are some observtions I've made, see if they hold true according to the specimens that you've collected:

Panaeolus foenisecii:

- Light tan stem that does not change color after being picked, damaged, squeezed, or dried.
- Flesh and stem are generally tougher than subbs.
- Feel "drier" than subbs, squeezing the stems releases some moisture, not a lot.
- Gills may start out a light color, from almost completely white, to tan (very close to the color of the stem and cap), to a shade of orange-brown; they then dry to a more traditional darker shade of brown. The gills, both fresh and dried, are significantly lighter in color than cinctulus gills.
- Fibers of the stem run from the base to the gills in a straight line.
- Often grows in large clusters.
- The stems have a smooth texture.

Panaeolus cinctulus (aka subbalteatus):

- Generally shorter than foenisecii.
- Sometimes bruises blue at the base and on mycel threads.
- Moister than foenisecii. Squeezing them will leave a lot of moisture in your hands, and the mushrooms practically disappear when squeezed hard enough. 
- Gills dark brown to black when fresh.
- Unlike foenisecii, it usually does not grow in large clusters, preferring clusters of two to three mushrooms each, which are widely spread across their environment.
- The stems darken as they dry, especially on small specimens, and especially where bruised or damaged, from tan to red to purple to black. Most stems have a noticeable redness to them.
- The stems sometimes have a slightly "rough" or "hairy" texture to them, especially around the neck (stem just below cap)
- The fibers of the stem spiral up from the base to the cap. When small specimens are dried, the stems may look like thick, curly black hairs (they get a curl to them as they dry).
- Sometimes has a "silvery sheen" to it, while foes look a bit more matte.
- If you "squish" the top gently with your finger, it will leave a dark print on the cap (where the cell walls are broken and the moisture is released I think? Very similar to bruising, but not blue.)
- The gills are fairly dark when they are picked, fading to a jet black as they dry. If smeared across paper, the gills will stain the paper black like a very thin black watercolor.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21962386 - 07/18/15 08:55 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I have noticed that the foes I find are on average much smaller and more fragile compared to the subbs I found.

The subbs seemed to be much more rigid in the stem (which makes picking them easier) and the stems are also wider and much longer than the foes I find.

It seems the opposite in my findings as the foes seem more moist than the subbs, but I honestly think that has more to do with immediate habitat and moisture than it does with species.

It seems easier to squeeze and "squish" the foe stems than the subb stems.

Obviously the biggest difference is the bluing, but overall I think the size is the other factor with my findings.

The stems on the subbs are more "red" than the foes, but the caps of the foes dry a darker brown. Where as the subbs' caps maintain more of a lighter brown even cream color when dried.

Dried subbs:

Dried foes:

*These are foes from my backyard

The gills are darker on the subbs and they both smell completely different when dried... oddly enough, the foes smell almost identical to dried cubes.

--------------------

OfflineFerburu
Male

Loc: Flag
    #21964216 - 07/19/15 10:32 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I was surprised and happy when I found subbs in CO. It was July. I first found them on horse poo in the mountains. I first found one in Denver on the grass at this elderly home. A woman saw me and informed me the mountains have mushrooms lol. I later found a few here and there in the park next to Denver skate park

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Ferburu]
    #21966491 - 07/19/15 06:17 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

These are some pics from my CO hunts

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21966605 - 07/19/15 06:44 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

isic said:
Bingo, I went back around 11:30 am today and found 4 more subbs! I decided to walk around the school to see what I could find and I thought I found the mother load, but they were just foes.

I really think that between 10am and noon, might be the right time to harvest subbs. the grass was much warmer and I could feel that it was much more humid closer to the ground, than it was this morning. Seems to be perfect after the sun had been on it for a few hours, but I think a good rain storm will do the trick for a massive haul.

Man, I can't wait for the late summer/early fall rains!

Where did you find them in relation to the sun?  Is it a Northern exposure?

Have you ever been to Lakewood?  I go there once a week, but if you go through the nabe, there are crazy creeks just gushing through people's properties.  Maybe I will do one of my slow jogs through there one week.

I don't like scanning for mushrooms in bright sunlight.  I find the best stuff when its overcast or early.

My peripheral vision is tuned to the shapes and colors of these things.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21969499 - 07/20/15 07:02 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gilzman said:
Quote:

Where did you find them in relation to the sun?  Is it a Northern exposure?

Have you ever been to Lakewood?  I go there once a week, but if you go through the nabe, there are crazy creeks just gushing through people's properties.  Maybe I will do one of my slow jogs through there one week.

I don't like scanning for mushrooms in bright sunlight.  I find the best stuff when its overcast or early.

My peripheral vision is tuned to the shapes and colors of these things.

The field is actually in the wide open so it gets sun all day long. Lol, yeah, I've been to Lakewood. I actually live on the border of Lakewood and Denver... Just a few blocks in, on the Denver side.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21969611 - 07/20/15 07:50 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Picked a bunch of foes again yesterday, lol. We got some all-night rain last night, so I'm feeling very hopeful for today. Gonna give the dog his medicine and then head out for another hunt. I do think I scored a very small handful of subbs the other day, I'm gonna check at that spot again today and hopefully find some larger specimens with some visible bluing.

I collected a very strange specimen yesterday with long, greenish-purplish stems up in the woods near Helen Hunt Falls. Still working on a proper ID, they were too old to drop any spores. They had a strongly farinaceous odor, like a paper bag full of dung-loving mushrooms. My first instincts told me that they were active, but I'm very doubtful that they are Gymnopilus specimens since they are lacking some crucial details that most Gymnos should have (persistent ring, heavy orange-brown spore dust on the stem).

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21970270 - 07/20/15 11:21 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I went back to my spot this morning at about 9:30am and looked around for an hour and a half. All I found were two foes and two subbs.

Here is a pic of one of the subbs I found today.

Here is a pic of the other subb I found today. I decided to post a pic of this because the blue bruising was much more noticeable after it had dried for about an hour.

--------------------

Edited by isic (07/20/15 12:14 PM)

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21975295 - 07/21/15 11:37 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

So here are some pics of the population that I'm attempting to identify. These grow at a park very close to home, and seem distinctly more subb-like than the P. foenisecii which I've collected from other parks around the city. This park in particular has a rodeo ground and horse corral maintained by the local equestrians club, and these grow on the parts of the lawn that are closest to the corrals.

The first pics attempt to show the very faint bluing that I've observed on the mycelial threads. I've tried to get their prints three times and failed each time, I'm hoping to get good prints today using a different technique. A few of these pics are magnified images of the stems on these possible subbs, showing the spore deposits left on the stems in comparison to some P. foenisecii prints in the background (all prints in these pics are from P. foenisecii). The final image shows the gills of these possible subbs in comparison to the gills of some known P. foenisecii specimens.

Hunting Cinctulus in Colorado Springs

Sorry, if I embed the pics, the thumbnails are always way larger than the message window, it's very annoying.

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/21/15 11:40 AM)

Offlineamilibertine
It’s good to be back!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern South Midwest
Trusted Identifier
    #21975319 - 07/21/15 11:43 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

The spore deposits on the stems do indeed look black.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: amilibertine]
    #21975702 - 07/21/15 01:42 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I picked these two yesterday after a short rain. 

Note the larger one was 'dark-capped' from being old and over watered.  They get mushy when they are like this and have to be handled delicately.  Note the spore print, lots of brown stain from the actual cap, and black spores inside.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21975732 - 07/21/15 01:51 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Today was better...

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21976482 - 07/21/15 04:57 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Nice finds Gilzman!

I went back to my spot this morning, but the grass had been mowed so I didn't find anything.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21979859 - 07/22/15 10:52 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

We had rain, so I tried to get up and beat the lawn guys at my fave spot.  Found a new flush but I know I mixed in some big Foes...Let's play guess the foe...

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21980249 - 07/22/15 01:03 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

WOW! Sweet haul Gilzman! :thumbup:

I went to my usual spot and still nothing, but I decided to drive to another park to see what I could find and bam!

Pretty sure I might have a foe or two, but I'm making prints now to weed them out.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21980290 - 07/22/15 01:23 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Mostly good.  But, you can see the size of some of these foes.

I take all the paper, with the spores, and put my morning coffee grounds into the paper, ball it up and bury it under one of the rabbit hang outs I see. Rabbits are nasty and like to stay in the same spot and crap.  I hear they eat that shit a couple of times.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21980777 - 07/22/15 03:58 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Nice guys, sounds like everyone's scoring today. I got my biggest haul all week, spent about three hours at the park hunting them down. Some were collected from the same patch as before, others came from two new patches which I found at the same park. One of these patches showed some vivid bluing, I tried to capture this in a few of the pics but it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. The blue fades pretty quickly as the stems darken after picking, within minutes basically. I found one specimen that had dropped a black dusting of spores onto the cap of its brother just below. I think it shows up in the pics (the one that looks like it has a black bruise on the cap).

There may be a few foes in the mix, I'll pick those out after they dry, when it's a lot easier to see the gill difference. I'm hopeful that I'll get some good spore prints on paper this time around, I have way more specimens to print than any other time before.

I like your idea with the moist coffee grounds and spore papers, Gilzman. I wonder if I could successfully transport this population into my yard or compost pile that way. Surely if I get enough spore mass in a slurry some will take hold before the contaminants can kill them.

Here's the additions to the album, scroll forward to see the new pics (all the pics behind it were linked earlier in the thread):

Hunting Cinctulus in Colorado Springs (Cont'd)

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/22/15 04:08 PM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21981577 - 07/22/15 07:04 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

HELL YEAH!!!!

'Tis the season for us Colorado pickers! :headbang3:

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21981993 - 07/22/15 08:52 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

So good spores here...

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21982007 - 07/22/15 08:56 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I think I got some good spores too!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21982035 - 07/22/15 09:04 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I have mentioned this before, but I believe the Subbs and Foes smell different.  The Foes have a cloying perfumey/fruity smell I can't stand.  The subbs smell more earthy or shroomy.  try doing a test.  Get a mixed batch and separate them.  Take a handful of each and then smell them.  mLet me know, maybe it's just me...

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21982136 - 07/22/15 09:33 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gilzman said:
I have mentioned this before, but I believe the Subbs and Foes smell different.  The Foes have a cloying perfumey/fruity smell I can't stand.  The subbs smell more earthy or shroomy.  try doing a test.  Get a mixed batch and separate them.  Take a handful of each and then smell them.  mLet me know, maybe it's just me...

Definitely! They both smell distinctively different, especially dried. To me though, the dried foes smell very, VERY similar to dried cubes where as the subbs have the "shroomy" smell you describe. The dried subbs to me smell a little like store bought shrooms, but a little more wild smelling.

I constantly smell these two jars to get a good idea of smell, because that's just another tool to use for identification.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21983350 - 07/23/15 06:57 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, I was talking about fresh, and a quick means to "toss or keep", but you're right, when dried there is another smell and I have never thought to keep the foes very long.  I hate to say it, but the subbs sort of have a dog-breath smell when dried.  I dry by using absorbent paper and just a reading lamp with halogen bulb.  No high temps since CO is dry enough.

Is it me or have the current and past summer been wetter, more humid, and even cooler?

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21983559 - 07/23/15 08:14 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

When they are fresh I think they are harder to tell apart by smell (and visually for that matter). They both seem to have a very similar smell to me when fresh. But after they are dry, they seem to separate themselves more clearly... visually and by odor.

I just leave my shrooms on a little Styrofoam plate and let them dry by air over night. Drying cubes in Texas was different story though, lol.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21983692 - 07/23/15 09:05 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Well, smell is subjective.  I just use it as another means to not overload when hunting.  I usually wear swim trunks with webbed pockets.  I keep the fragile ones in my left hand.

I am going to try the following:

1.  Take a spore print and do a starter mycelium on coffee grounds
2.  Get a nice big horse turd, Dig a narrow fairly deep hole, fill the bottom with grass clippings, and put turd in there so it's slightly below ground level
3.  When the coffee grounds are over run with mycelium, I will transfer to the center of the top of the turd
4.  Cover with soil

I might do a soak in the hole before putting in the turd.  I collect rain water, which is illegal in CO (but pot is OK), and as a gardener, I will mix Hydrogen peroxide into that rain water.  This adds extra O2 I believe.  I have 5 foot tall tomato plants and can show pics of 1 pound tomatoes.  I do organic, of course.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21984007 - 07/23/15 10:32 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah smell can be different for everyone.

When I go hunting, I usually carry a little cloth bag (kinda like a crown royal bag, but bigger) and I put 4 or so little plastic cups in it. This way I can keep the different species I find separate and the little plastic cups protect the mushrooms from damage.

I usually collect many different species at once as well as photograph a lot of fungi so I'm not too worried about being discrete, but I understand not wanting to look suspicious.

Also, I am not positive so don't quote me on it, but I heard from someone recently who said that the rain collecting laws here in Colorado have changed and we are now allowed to collect two 55 gal. drums of rain water. Not sure if it's true or not, but I use rain water for my garden as well. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21984901 - 07/23/15 01:41 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Another day, another score!

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21984938 - 07/23/15 01:49 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Here are some pics I took before harvesting

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21987532 - 07/23/15 10:01 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Found about half a dozen when I checked the park earlier today. They had mowed the park, sometime around noon I would guess (I found a subb that was injured by the mower). A few brave souls had their heads poking over the grass line though, so they probably popped after the mowing. I saw tons of little pins yesterday though, so they'll probably start popping again pretty soon. Checked another park down the highway but found zilch.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21997336 - 07/25/15 09:22 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Jackpot!

The prep...

The prints...

The patch!

Closer...

Even closer...

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#22002490 - 07/27/15 12:13 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Nice finds.  Do you notice rabbit droppings around there?

I 'spawned' some black spores onto fresh-brewed coffee grounds.  I then dropped a half dozen dried rabbit turds onto the mycelium.  I took these and 'baked' them in sunlight under glass.

The mycelium has just attacked the turds.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#22004323 - 07/27/15 12:41 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

That mycelium looks nice Gilzman, I buried a ball of warm coffee grounds and spores out in my compost pile but I'll be surprised if they actually take and push out a few fruiting bodies. I may go check my spot today, I looked there on Saturday but didn't see jack.

Have either of you sampled your cinctulus collection yet? I've been thinking about trying them but I keep chickening out. I've only got maybe five to six grams, some people say you need that much just for one trip, though I've read of people who have had cinctulus that were potent at one to two grams. I've heard that potency varies greatly from mushroom to mushroom, even when collected from the same patch, so I might powder mine into a flour to even out the potency.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#22005211 - 07/27/15 03:49 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, active.

I wonder if Foes would also spawn on this same coffee/rabbit poop quickie deal.  Has anyone ever reported them on cow/horse dung?

I give the jar a spritz of water/H2O2 every day to keep things damp.  I don't expect any 'yield', just having fun and it will probably end up in the yard.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#22026651 - 07/31/15 11:58 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

New pic.  I find it amazing that the mycelia have really gone from the coffee grounds to the rabbit droppings so fast.  It's like they are concentrating on it. They also have strands that connect each poop.  I am thinking of topping off the jar with more poop and letting it fully colonize.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22035492 - 08/02/15 09:46 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

wow, that myc looks awesome. haven't tried my subbs yet, but ill be be sure to report back when i do

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#22036379 - 08/03/15 05:03 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Too hot lately to hit the spots.  Lawn guys are scalping the grass and just killing it.  Cops on bicycles too.

Mycelium is fascinating in it's speed of growth.  Also, it seems to be dynamic in its spread, like there is some amount of 'thought' to it.  I once read that we look at trees wrong.  That is, the real 'brain' part of the tree is the root system.  The trunk and branches and leaves are just the 'legs'...I suppose the underworld life of mushrooms is as unknown as many other aspects of fungi.

We got some decent rain and a cool night last night.  I may take an early morning stroll...

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#22041224 - 08/04/15 09:27 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, the subbs have dried up for me as well. Too hot, no rain. We got a little bit of rain last night, it might have been enough to get a couple more to fruit. I'm going to check later today so I'll report back.

--------------------

OfflineCoincidentiaoppositorum
deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22041240 - 08/04/15 09:33 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I live in Denver as well and have gathered a large amount of identical fungi...

What was the Latin name of the look-alike species?

-E. Borodin

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Coincidentiaoppositorum]
    #22046411 - 08/05/15 09:39 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Panaeolina foenisecii. Panaeolina because of the brown spore print. Panaeolus is distinguished from Panaeolina by having a jet black spore print instead. You want to learn to distinguish the Pan. specimens from all of the other lawn mushrooms first. Then you want to be able to distinguish P. foenisecii from P. cinctulus. Cinctulus is active, foenisecii is not. P. cinctulus is nicknamed the "red cap" because it has reddish tones that the P. foenisecii does not have. P. cinctulus will also occasionally bruise blue at the base of the stem. Check the color against a white piece of paper, and if it looks even slightly blue than you may have a P. cinctulus. They are also nicknamed "banded mottlegills" because the gills are mottled (not a solid color, they have splotches of light and dark color on the gills, which makes the gills look spotted).  When dry, the gills of P. cinctulus will be jet black, there should be no visible shades of brown or purple. Check out the imgur gallery that I linked earlier in the thread, one of those pics highlights the difference between the gills of dried P. cinctulus and P. foenisecii specimens.

You can also take pics of your shrooms and bring them here, we can help you go through the process of identifying cinctulus vs foenisecii.

Also, this is unrelated, but do you also post over at the Entheogen Network forums? There is a member that that signs his posts "E. Borodin", are you one in the same? :P If so, cool to see you. I've been posting over at EDOT for years.

--------------------

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22047523 - 08/05/15 01:53 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

EnergyTurtle said:
Panaeolina foenisecii. Panaeolina because of the brown spore print. Panaeolus is distinguished from Panaeolina by having a jet black spore print instead. You want to learn to distinguish the Pan. specimens from all of the other lawn mushrooms first. Then you want to be able to distinguish P. foenisecii from P. cinctulus. Cinctulus is active, foenisecii is not. P. cinctulus is nicknamed the "red cap" because it has reddish tones that the P. foenisecii does not have. P. cinctulus will also occasionally bruise blue at the base of the stem. Check the color against a white piece of paper, and if it looks even slightly blue than you may have a P. cinctulus. They are also nicknamed "banded mottlegills" because the gills are mottled (not a solid color, they have splotches of light and dark color on the gills, which makes the gills look spotted).  When dry, the gills of P. cinctulus will be jet black, there should be no visible shades of brown or purple. Check out the imgur gallery that I linked earlier in the thread, one of those pics highlights the difference between the gills of dried P. cinctulus and P. foenisecii specimens.

You can also take pics of your shrooms and bring them here, we can help you go through the process of identifying cinctulus vs foenisecii.

Also, this is unrelated, but do you also post over at the Entheogen Network forums? There is a member that that signs his posts "E. Borodin", are you one in the same? :P If so, cool to see you. I've been posting over at EDOT for years.

I know most my lawn mushrooms in my area fairly well, though it could really do me some good to learn more, I think I may have misidentified the pan subs for a look alike species, I never intended on consuming them, simply wanted them for my collection (I have a sample of nearly every shamanic  or entheogenic plant known) the only spore print I have was on light blue paper, so it's hard to distinguish color, I have a good deal of dry samples left.

This is the underside of a dried sample, I know it's hard to see detail as far as the gills go, but this is the best picture I could get.

Spore print

Some of the dried samples

I was never 100% on the I'D here, I just thought they looked like pan subs, and when they were wet they really did, I've never seen dried pan subs aside from my possibly misidentified sample, so I can't say from that regard, it would have been nice to have in my collection, but if I have to throw them out it's no big deal.

I used to post on entheogen network quite a bit under the name entheogenic-gnosis, but it's been a long time, it's a great site, it was just going really slow when I was posting, so I took a brake,I may return, perhaps it's picked up a bit.

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22047555 - 08/05/15 01:59 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

It was not letting me enlarge the images when I clicked on them, it said "this image has been deleted by its original poster" when it has not been deleted at all, it's downloaded into my pics...I don't know what the deal is here so I tried again by re-downloading two of the pictures and re-posting them

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22047560 - 08/05/15 02:00 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Damn, still not working for me...

If your not able to enlarge the images let me know and I'll try to fix the issue...

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22047575 - 08/05/15 02:05 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Trying one more time...

Even in my pictures folder when I click it says "this image has been deleted by its original poster" when the inmates are still on my device and downloaded into my pics folder on this site...

Maybe it's just not working for me...

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22047585 - 08/05/15 02:08 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

It his one just says "loading" forever... ...

I'm Sorry my technical issue has caused me to repost these images

-E. Borodin

Edited by Coincidentiaoppositorum (08/05/15 02:10 PM)

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#22047652 - 08/05/15 02:24 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's a site-wide issue right now, a lot of people are having the same problem. Try using a third party image host, I prefer imgur, and post the link here.

--------------------

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22051864 - 08/06/15 05:34 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

EnergyTurtle said:
I think it's a site-wide issue right now, a lot of people are having the same problem. Try using a third party image host, I prefer imgur, and post the link here.

I'm not tech savvy in any way, and I'm on a kindle, but I'll try to fugue this out....

-E. Borodin

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

Re: ** THE OFFICIAL COLORADO ACTIVES THREAD ** [Re: isic]
    #22092710 - 08/14/15 08:48 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Not sure how the rains have been up there in Denver, but Colorado Springs has been getting a lot of rain over the last two or three days. We even had some flooding on the west side from the burn scars in the Waldo Canyon area.

I've been hitting my patches over the last few days. Yesterday and the day before weren't very productive, but the cincts were definitely coming back up. Today I hit a small jackpot, probably my best daily haul so far.

A very tiny blue bruise on this next one. View it in full res:

Coincidentiaoppositorum, yours do look very close to P. cinctulus but I can't be sure from the pics. Keep watching the patch until you can get some particularly large specimens and try to get them onto the spore paper quickly, good cincts will leave a thick dusting of jet black, like a donut drawn with a black sharpie. Or try to get some specimens from your patch that have visible bruising.

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (08/14/15 09:43 PM)

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

Re: ** THE OFFICIAL COLORADO ACTIVES THREAD ** [Re: EnergyTurtle]
    #22094577 - 08/15/15 11:46 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

It's been mildly drizzling from time to time, or scattered light rains, but no heavy rain in in denver over the last few days..

Found these fresh samples the other day, though I'm certain these are not pan subs, they looked pretty close though...

What do you think?

[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/15-32/880456955-

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22095099 - 08/15/15 02:49 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

These came from the same area, I'm getting a spore print now.

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22095336 - 08/15/15 03:44 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

It said I deleted it again with the last one, I hope this one works...

-E. Borodin

OfflineTBJ12
Stranger
 User Gallery

#22095729 - 08/15/15 05:23 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Coincidentiaoppositorum said:

It said I deleted it again with the last one, I hope this one works...

-E. Borodin

They look like foes to me.

When you find one you will know it. Cinctlus are not as fragile as the foes and the the gills will look more black than brown.

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: TBJ12]
    #22095771 - 08/15/15 05:36 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I have had a feeling they were not pan subs, the stems do seem rather weak, but the spore prints are black... I'm still going to attempt a positive ID just out of curiosity though.

I have some dried samples that I thought were Panaeolus olivaceus but they had some of the unidentified pan species mixed in as well...pictured below

The ones that turned black when dry were the possible Panaeolus olivaceus, but then again these could be all "foes" all 3 of these species look.very similar and share the same habitat, there are ways to distinguish by the gills when they are dry or something...I really can't remember what I was told...

If somebody is willing to break down the basics of differentiating these looks-a-likes or can reference me to
A source of information on the matter it would be most helpful.

Thanks,

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22095775 - 08/15/15 05:38 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

More from the same area...

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22095791 - 08/15/15 05:43 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking maybe Panaeolus fimicola as a possibility as well (wishful thinking when they are likely foes), but all these LBMs are very very similar, I'm going to need to examine the gills and spores very carefully for a positive ID.

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22095803 - 08/15/15 05:46 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Panaeolina castaneifolia is another possibility...

-E. Borodin

OfflineTBJ12
Stranger
 User Gallery

#22095858 - 08/15/15 05:58 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a link to a few of my finds. Maybe some of the pics i've posted will help you out. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21883806

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22095947 - 08/15/15 06:27 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TBJ12 said:
Here is a link to a few of my finds. Maybe some of the pics i've posted will help you out. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21883806

Very helpful, thank you.

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22105452 - 08/18/15 05:40 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

The spore print is black, but the stems seem weak...

I may have to take the spores under a microscope to get a positive ID....

-E. Borodin

OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

#22105485 - 08/18/15 06:08 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Panaeolina castaneifolia is another possibility...

-E. Borodin

Panaeolus castaneifolia is a deprecated synonym of Panaeolus olivaceus.

Panaeolus olivaceus would be the correct genus/species name.

http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/18360

--------------------
©️

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Lucis]
    #22105563 - 08/18/15 06:57 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panaeolina_castaneifolia

As far as I can tell Panaeolina castaneifolia is not synonymous with the species you named, if you can direct me to an information source confirming this it would be most helpful.

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22105566 - 08/18/15 06:58 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

The spores I have are black and according to Wikipedia Panaeolina castaneifolia has roughened Brown spores...

So Panaeolina castaneifolia is out of the question.

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22105722 - 08/18/15 08:14 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Just picked these 10 minutes ago...

It's driving me crazy that I can't ID them...

With the spore print, you guys consider this black right?

I don't think it's dark brown...

But the total features dont quite fit for pan subs or for foes...

-E. Borodin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22105948 - 08/18/15 09:40 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Should I just assume these are foes and move on?

-E. Borodin

OfflineTBJ12
Stranger
 User Gallery

#22106232 - 08/18/15 11:11 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

-E. Borodin

I would suggest you start your own thread asking for an ID.

You might want to try and get a better closeup of that spore print, looks black but it's tough to tell from that pic.

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22106585 - 08/18/15 12:25 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TBJ12 said:
Quote:

-E. Borodin

I would suggest you start your own thread asking for an ID.

You might want to try and get a better closeup of that spore print, looks black but it's tough to tell from that pic.

Yeah, I started my own shortly after my last post on this one, I only kept posting here because this was a thread specifically for Colorado.

My camera is on my kindle fire HD and it's incredibly hard to get good pictures with it, I honestly can't tell, even In person close up it looks black, but I'm still uncertain.

-E. Borodin

OfflineDeTwizzle
Anyone
 User Gallery

#22106662 - 08/18/15 12:53 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Im not really seeing any actives being posted, except for the OPs. There isn't much but cints in CO (or Gyms in the woods), especially on the front range. I would be scoping any places that could yield a find around horse poo(stables) or cow fields. I think where this thread has gone is that you should consider yourself quite lucky to find an active mushroom thru-out CO. To just find an active cint patch growing in a lawn takes some luck, patience, and persistence, espically with all the "look-a-likes" that are non-active.

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: DeTwizzle]
    #22106736 - 08/18/15 01:19 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DeTwizzle said:
Im not really seeing any actives being posted, except for the OPs. There isn't much but cints in CO (or Gyms in the woods), especially on the front range. I would be scoping any places that could yield a find around horse poo(stables) or cow fields. I think where this thread has gone is that you should consider yourself quite lucky to find an active mushroom thru-out CO. To just find an active cint patch growing in a lawn takes some luck, patience, and persistence, espically with all the "look-a-likes" that are non-active.

The mushrooms I posted were potentially active.

I was fairly certain they were foes, but the spore print looked black.

I've always got my eye open for pan subs, which are actually more common out here than you would think, the samples I was attempting to ID are near my home, which is why I wanted the ID, I could drive for 15 minutes and have a confirmed pan sub (they grow through-out my friends garden and yard) and I have stropharia cubensis on hand, this is more about learning the local fungi, and if it is a look alike to an active species it's good to be familiar with it, so in future incidents you can discard it.

I was only curious because I was getting a black spore print, they looked like pan. Femicola, which is active...Though by now I'm fairly certain that they are foes....but the spore print was the issue..

-E. Borodin

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22106843 - 08/18/15 01:54 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I went back to my trusty spot today and found 8 good specimens. Ironically, it seems that there is less mushrooms due to this spot being too wet. With recent rains and nightly watering, there was standing water everywhere. The 8 I did find were in areas where it was more dry. With as much as this spot is watered, it seems the only ingredient needed is temps in the mid to upper 80's to get huge hauls. Too much rain and higher temps seem to diminish the number of mushrooms greatly in this spot.

--------------------

OfflineDeTwizzle
Anyone
 User Gallery

#22107588 - 08/18/15 05:00 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

DeTwizzle said:

I've always got my eye open for pan subs, which are actually more common out here than you would think, the samples I was attempting to ID are near my home, which is why I wanted the ID, I could drive for 15 minutes and have a confirmed pan sub (they grow through-out my friends garden and yard) and I have stropharia cubensis on hand, this is more about learning the local fungi, and if it is a look alike to an active species it's good to be familiar with it, so in future incidents you can discard it.

I was only curious because I was getting a black spore print, they looked like pan. Femicola, which is active...Though by now I'm fairly certain that they are foes....but the spore print was the issue..

-E. Borodin

I hear yah! I've done all the same research for my area in MO which probably has more than CO. There are a number of pan species that produce jet black prints that are still non-active. And any patches that I've found here growing in a grass field (non poo) are super weak.

Does Allen Rockefeller still scope pans for people?

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: DeTwizzle]
    #22107977 - 08/18/15 06:23 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DeTwizzle said:
Quote:

Quote:

DeTwizzle said:

-E. Borodin

I hear yah! I've done all the same research for my area in MO which probably has more than CO. There are a number of pan species that produce jet black prints that are still non-active. And any patches that I've found here growing in a grass field (non poo) are super weak.

Does Allen Rockefeller still scope pans for people?

Yeah, I'm really doubting they are an active species at this point, but for informational purposes it would have been nice to know.

I'm going to call these "probably foes" and move on.

-E. Borodin

Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

#22108618 - 08/18/15 09:01 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Pan subb--please, for the sake of a noob, what does that stand for?

--------------------
My father used to say: I don't care what else you do in life, just don't be an asshole. People, forgive me when I forget what my daddy said.

Cut back the proliferating list of people whose opinions can hurt you. Unless they have done or want to do you some good, their views are just not worth tracking.
Saul Bellow

“People are just cannibals unless they leave each other alone.” Doris Lessing

Those whom the gods would save, they dower with compassion. Mr. P.  Silocybin

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

Re: ** THE OFFICIAL COLORADO ACTIVES THREAD ** [Re: champinhom]
    #22108679 - 08/18/15 09:15 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Panaeolus subbalteatus which was re-named Panaeolus cinctulus.

-E. Borodin

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

Re: ** THE OFFICIAL COLORADO ACTIVES THREAD ** [Re: Coincidentiaoppositorum]
    #22110621 - 08/19/15 10:35 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I asked Alan about his DNA sequencing services a few weeks ago, he said that it costs around $20-$30, and you have to send in some dried specimens to have sequenced. At that point you can have the sequence analyzed, which will tell you whether or not your dealing with a true P. cinctulus. If you're super curious about a specific population that doesn't show any visible bluing, get in contact with him and he can probably give you more details on that service.

So I successfully bio'ed my P. cinctulus population last night, and they are surprisingly potent for such a small mushroom. Nowhere close to the potency of libs or cubes, of course, but more potent than I expected after reading other peoples' reports.

I tested 1g flat of cracker dry cincts. I powdered them in a mortar and pestle, and packed the powder into three vcapsules. This was around 8:00pm, after eating a deliciously satisfying dinner. I've never been a fan of taking anything on an empty stomach. With cubes this may have been a problem; cubes often make me feel bloated and gassy, especially if I've eaten a large meal beforehand. With my P. cinctulus I didn't experience a lick of gastric discomfort, which was pretty nice! If this holds true in the future, cincts will easily become my new favorite species.

As far as psychedelic effects, I began to feel them about an hour after taking the capsules, and the effects continued to build until about 11:00pm. I had excellent body effects comparable to a good dose of cubensis, but the visual distortions were very mild. I noticed very faint "breathing" effects, I felt inebriated to a point that it was difficult to walk straight at times, and there were noticeable halos around computer screens, street lights, etc. Very light level hallucinations including smoke/vapor, and a noticeable "fish-bowl" effect (hard to describe, lol). CEVs were also very mild; radiating abstract mandalas of contrasting colors (not very vivid, hardly noticeable unless you focused), at one point I saw a pattern of five-point stars which radiated the same way, I found that really interesting because mushrooms rarely give me familiar geometric shapes.

All in all, it was a pretty mild, introspective trip. There weren't all these crazy beautiful visuals distracting me, so the mental and body effects were much more pronounced. What I really liked about it, though, was the serious lack of negative effects which I've come to associate with cubensis. There were no feelings of dread or extreme anxiety during the come-up, no bloating or gas, no weakness of limbs caused by vasoconstriction. I felt wide awake from 8:00pm to 1:30am. By 1:30am the effects had worn off to a point that my drowsiness finally caught up with me, and I hit the sack like a lead brick, lol. I did get some unusual muscle cramping in my feet, and mild gas as I was laying in bed. It was really nice honestly, I can't wait to try these babies again. Next time I'll do 2-3g, and if I have enough left I'll try to do a 4-5g test as well.

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (08/19/15 10:35 AM)

OfflineDeTwizzle
Anyone
 User Gallery

#22112225 - 08/19/15 02:27 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Nice write up! Sounds similar to my experience on them. It took about 40 of them dried to make a dry gram or two.

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

Re: ** THE OFFICIAL COLORADO ACTIVES THREAD ** [Re: DeTwizzle]
    #22112931 - 08/19/15 04:36 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks man, that's roughly what I took. I should have counted them so I could try a comparable fresh dose, but no biggie I can probably eyeball it, that is if the cincts come back this year. We just hit our first chill, starting to feel like autumn.

Hopefully I can score a few more grams, I wish I had an endless supply of these that I could experiment with. I'm so intrigued by this mushroom, it seems to have a gentle touch, rather youthful. I've always considered cubes to be more masculine in spirit, they can definitely get rough with you if they want to. Cincts would be a great option for people who are into microdosing, it's a very "functional" mushroom at doses of 0.25 to 1 grams. Cubes can be a bit trickier to microdose, I've had cubes that were potent enough to give me hallucinations at doses of 0.5 grams.

I should also mention that in my report above, I had also taken kratom capsules and smoked cannabis throughout the day. This is typical for me, so it's pretty easy for me to mentally isolate the effects of the mushrooms versus my typical kratom/cannabis combo. Honestly, after the cincts kicked in I smoked several bowls and didn't feel the smoke or the THC, which IMO is typical for shrooms. I have a really high tolerance to cannabis though, so this might not hold true for everyone. I also have a mild case of pharyngitis, which has been bugging the crap out of me. As soon as the shrooms kicked in it felt like my throat was a little more open, I could swallow more easily. Hopefully I don't have strep, so far I haven't seen any spots or pus bubbles. It's bugging me again today, doesn't get swollen until about one or two. The fact that I'm still smoking cigs and pot probably isn't helping, lol.

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (08/19/15 04:42 PM)

OfflineDeTwizzle
Anyone
 User Gallery

#22113268 - 08/19/15 05:49 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

The one thing I noticed was that the cints really messed with my muscles. I bacically felt like a crazy Swedish masseuse laid me out the next morning. Also I had some pains in my lower back...perhaps kidneys. Nothing that lasted more than an hour or two after awakening. All in all, I'd rather eat a gram of Pan cyan and go to space or nothing at all. Now if you stumbled upon them in poo that could be a different story.

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22115651 - 08/20/15 07:40 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

If these were an active species, would I have enough? (Roughly 2 hand fulls of dry samples...in psychedelics encyclopedia it says pan subs contain 2mg-6mg psilocybin per dry gram....so 4 grams to get to 20mg if they are ultra-potent, damn...10g if they are ultra-weak...

I moved some caps early to be sure it was not layers of brown, the early prints are gray, and the old prints are obviously black....

I still think these may be pan subs...
(Somebody posted a picture in my other thread of a pan sub that looked identical to what I have...I'm putting the spores under a microscope today or tomorrow to get a positive ID...

If these are not pan subbs, what are they? What are the other black spore pan species you mentioned so I can compare?

-E. Borodin

OfflineDeTwizzle
Anyone
 User Gallery

#22115947 - 08/20/15 09:40 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Probably the most suspect is  Panaeolus papilionaceus....
Here my thread that I started, in the end I never really got a true ID on them. I ate forty to sixty wet, and had very mild effects.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20104783

Also suspects...
Panaeolina foenisecii (very common)
Panaeolina rhombisperma
Panaeolina sagarae
Panaeolina microsperma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panaeolina

Edited by DeTwizzle (08/20/15 09:52 AM)

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22120901 - 08/21/15 07:08 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DeTwizzle said:
Probably the most suspect is  Panaeolus papilionaceus....
Here my thread that I started, in the end I never really got a true ID on them. I ate forty to sixty wet, and had very mild effects.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20104783

Also suspects...
Panaeolina foenisecii (very common)
Panaeolina rhombisperma
Panaeolina sagarae
Panaeolina microsperma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panaeolina

Thank you, this is much appreciated, specially since I'm having someone bring me a microscope, I need as many pictures of species spores as I can get for comparison...pan foes were ruled out because the spore print is Brown, but these other listed species are most helpful, thanks.

-E. Borodin

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#22154311 - 08/27/15 11:01 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Been out of it lately with a knee injury.  Hopefully, I won't need an operation.  Very dry lately, hopefully the small rain and humidity might bring them back.  I will chance a stroll.

As far as dosing, last summer I had so many that I decided to take about 36 alone.  It was a very introspective experience since someone I knew had threatened to hurt themself.  Since this was about the time Robin Williams had killed himself, I was getting bummed a bit.  I was basically in my kitchen with my hands on the counter and staring at the design.  I then started getting almost a series of mental images/memories of parts of my life stages.  It was like I was being shown my actions, and how I would repeat these types of actions throughout my life.  It was like some spirit was showing me the comical irrational nature of my character.  I actually started laughing and said out loud "God, I really am an asshole".  It seems I have some bad reaction to stress in 10 year cycles, and will do some way out shit to get away from it.  To say its all personal is putting it lightly.  I was being shown the truth about myself, and how ingrained it had become.  It was literally coming to me in back-to-back waves.  It had an almost 'video' effect to it since my eyes were closed.

Some other stuff is too personal, but I can certainly see the value of these actives in people getting help with who they are.  Change is very hard for many people.  I made a promise to myself (and maybe the spirit that was showing me these things) that no matter how difficult things might become, I would be a life-long parent and a more patient person. 

In any case, yes, I like microdosing also, and put some planning into making sure nothing erases the effect.  I will avoid any situation that angers me or people that just are bummers.  Work is a non-no and I won't drive etc.  If I ever do a large dose again, I think I would be better prepared.

The only "real" dose I did this summer was maybe 18.  It was a very strange thing where I started to just put my man cave together.  Doing electronics, listening to the stereo I fixed on the spot, and just moving stuff around and making the space 'mine'.  I tossed a lot of stuff and sipped some beers.  I realized that my life and space had been taken over and I was pushing back, in a non-angry use of mental energy.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: ** THE OFFICIAL COLORADO ACTIVES THREAD ** [Re: Gilzman]
    #22189497 - 09/04/15 06:43 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Slim pickens but weather is starting to pick up...

Lookey at the size of this specimen...from known good spot from previous year.

edit:  there is one foe in that pic

--------------------

Edited by Gilzman (09/04/15 06:52 PM)

deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery

#22189841 - 09/04/15 07:43 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I just found these 20 minutes ago...

I don't know what they are yet, but because it's been so dry they are pretty much the only fungi I've seen in the area that i found them...more and more species are starting to come up though, can't say I've seen actives really, but learning fungi is an entertaining hobby, I'm always trying to attempt identify as many as I can, I'm good with active species, but inactives I have to look up and guess at every time...

-E. Borodin

Edited by Coincidentiaoppositorum (09/05/15 12:26 AM)

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Lepkaun]
    #22209519 - 09/08/15 09:22 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Lepkaun said:

This is the last post by Lepkaun.  I just read about his passing.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#22562621 - 11/23/15 09:39 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gilzman said:
Quote:

Lepkaun said:

This is the last post by Lepkaun.  I just read about his passing.

RIP Lepkaun, let's revive this thread next season in honor of Lep's last post. For my final "Colorado" post this year, I'm going to attach all of my Panaeolus cinctulus pictures from the 2015 season, I was finally able to upload them to my Shroomery gallery. Here's to an even better season next year, hopefully the Cincts will be popping like crazy next summer.

In all, I got around 10-12 grams of dried Panaeolus cinctulus this year, which was awesome. These all came from two separate patches at the same park. This was my first year finding actives in Colorado, and these babies had some nice bluing reactions.

Awesome Colorado season guys! See you next year!

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (11/23/15 09:42 AM)

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23251690 - 05/20/16 08:42 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Hear, Hear.  He was probably a great guy to hike with. 

I found my first today.  No sure what they are since they were in my pocket for  while and are not sporing that much.  They survived a scalping from the mowers.  I wish it would just rain a few more days.  I know the 'Springers' want to come up.  Late snows and even some rain lately.  Grasses are green and my usual spots look OK.

Seen the usual wood eating suspects in clumps already.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23297822 - 06/01/16 09:46 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Things are looking up.  I see pans coming up in known spots and some subs too.  Just a hand full so far.  More rain today so maybe it will be a late spring here.

i seems to me that certain mushrooms have areas colonized and appear year after year.  They must have extensive mycelium networks that dominate that area.

i will be posting more habitat pics with subs in situ.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23302676 - 06/03/16 08:18 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Back in Black

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23315108 - 06/06/16 05:54 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

A bunch of spore loaded subbs

possbly Smithii's?

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23378405 - 06/24/16 06:39 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Some spots

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23378417 - 06/24/16 06:43 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Unbelievably great rains to save th hot days...best picking so far... little ragged..many fell apart in my pocket...I tested those...veddy nice

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23383401 - 06/26/16 09:19 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I am seeing great numbers of foes in all areas.  Some are huge.  The Pan Subbs are also showing up in their typical small patches and numbers.

I also saw these pans and thought at first they were foes.  Mostly from the brownish appearance of the gills.  I then saw that the total coloration seemed different and the smell was certainly not the foe odor.

I think I saw some bluing and they printed black.  Not much in the way of spores which might indicate they are a bit drier or older.  Could these be Panaeolus olivaceus?

--------------------

Edited by Gilzman (06/26/16 09:20 AM)

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23404140 - 07/02/16 01:27 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Pholiotina smithii????

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23404159 - 07/02/16 01:38 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Nice hauls Gilzman!

Today I found the biggest Pan Subbs in the most massive patches I have yet to come across... Just an absolute bonanza! I only snagged maybe 200 specimens and I say only, because there are literally thousands of them out there. Prepping some prints now and I'll post pics soon.

Edit: Read some older posts since I've been away and just learned of Lepkaun's passing. :frown:

RIP Lepkaun

--------------------

Edited by isic (07/02/16 01:49 PM)

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23404196 - 07/02/16 01:59 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

AND MORE RAIN IS COMING!!!!

Actually, i find the new subbs come out a couple days after the rain.  Too much rain and watering on some spots makes them mushy and am now seeing eaten (snails) caps.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23405393 - 07/02/16 09:40 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Today's haul!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23405693 - 07/02/16 11:39 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Amazing.  It looks like that area is not frequently mowed?  My best areas do not allow more than a weeks growth.  So, most of the shrooms are smaller.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23410001 - 07/04/16 11:07 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I think it's mowed once a week, but the field lies right next to a creek, so it is always wet. I think the water table there is close to the surface on half the field as it usually has standing water in areas. Add rain to the mix, which leads to a flooding creek, and I think it makes the perfect spot for them to grow. Also, most of the big ones are found in grass that has that clover/flower mix that bees love. Not sure if that has something to do with it, but that stuck out to me.

--------------------

Offlinebluelou
NUTCASEdrugbucket!
Male User Gallery

Loc: $hroom Central
    #23410730 - 07/04/16 03:17 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

AMAZING PICS!!!!

AMAZING FINDS TOO HERE.....

i love the clear pics,very good folks!!!
PEACE n enjoy...
:smile:

--------------------
Have you tried my(black kow) pile style tek outdoors!!!!!!!!

Offlinevalek879
Stranger
What are these? [Re: isic]
    #23410774 - 07/04/16 03:34 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Hey there guys, I am really new to this, but I went out in my backyard today, Keystone Mountain and I found some shrooms. I was wondering if you guys might be able to identify them? I am hoping they are active.

And then I am working on getting a spore print. I also found a couple other shrooms I just thought were cool and took a picture of. I found all these mushrooms up on Keystone mountain.

The last one was growing out of horse poop.

In case i screwed up embedding them, here is a link to the album. http://imgur.com/a/sVVNP

EDIT: I did in fact 100% screw up the formatting. I also added 3 pictures to that album including a really quick spore print.

EDIT 2: so after lots of looking, and after seeing a brown spore print, I have come to the conclusion that at least half of these shrooms are Galerina Marginata, a poisonous shroom that when I finally saw the picture I went, "Yep, that one, that's it."

Edited by valek879 (07/05/16 01:01 AM)

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

Loc: the right coast
    #23416412 - 07/06/16 09:50 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

isic said:
Also, most of the big ones are found in grass that has that clover/flower mix that bees love. Not sure if that has something to do with it, but that stuck out to me.

good observation.  IDK if that makes any difference either, but clover is a legume and as such fixes N for the soil so it should be naturally more rich in patches of clover...much like adding manure to soil enriches it with nitrogen. nitrogen fixation by legumes

hmmmm

those are some sweet, meaty cincts!

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: relic] * 1
    #23416648 - 07/06/16 11:20 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

That is true about the Nitrogen.  In fact, Scotts and other fertilizer/pesticicide companies had a campaign against clover in lawns! 

If the mushrooms are around clover, and the clover gets spores on it, it is possible for the bees to be a 'vector' that spreads spores to other clover filled areas!

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23420679 - 07/07/16 04:24 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

That could be the case. There are soooo many bees out there on those clover/flowers. In fact, I had to watch EVERY step I took, just to not step on any. I had to be careful picking the specimens, as bees were just inches away from my hand. I had to move real slow because of the bees, but the slower I moved, the more mushrooms I would find. It almost felt like I had a symbiotic relationship with the bees, but it looks like the reality is... the mushrooms might actually have the symbiotic relationship with the bees.

The thought of that is too fucking cool!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23421008 - 07/07/16 06:09 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I suppose its a one-way symbiotic thing.  I guess the bees are just the groupies???

In any case, this heat has just made me wondering when I will see anything next.  Sort of like single-person sex.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23429254 - 07/10/16 12:52 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I guess it is a one way relationship, but I bet it wouldn't be too far fetched to think of ways that the bees might benefit from the mushrooms. Maybe they keep other bugs away or help with the growth of the flowers that the bees seem to love, who knows. It's cool either way.

Speaking of cool, I decided to sample some of my dried specimens. So I took 5-6 grams and I was very surprised of the effects. All I can say is wow, what an enjoyable night!

Now... just bring me some rain!!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23429685 - 07/10/16 03:43 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

It could actually be two way.  The mushrooms might actually be fighting off Rhizoctonia Fungus which is a threat to clover.  And the horses that eat the infected clover also (drooling disease).  Just the fact that mushrooms will control the water levels in the area might help.  The mushrooms are probably taxing into the N2 nodules from the clover.

I suppose if a horse grazes on a clover, and the clover has spores from the adjacent mushroom on it, the spores might get a free ride through the horse and land back on the ground in a big horse turd.

The bees must get spores back into the nest also.  Other bees would maybe pick them up.  So the bees are really spreading the spores within th range of the hive.

The heat is unreal.  All my plants were wilted and I scrambled to water them.

And, yes, I always enjoy the effects.

--------------------

Edited by Gilzman (07/10/16 03:46 PM)

OfflineTeivana
Looking for Active Shrooms !!!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Ocean, French Pol...
    #23430414 - 07/10/16 08:23 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Hello guys, :grin:
I just move to CO, and let me say that I LOVE this state, way better then CA and other countries worldwide.

I was living in Amsterdam since the last year but as many prohibitions as popped up and the langage is hard and gross as F... I move  (for ex: no pot concentrates in fact  they're ILLEGAL and considered as a HARD drug,, no more mushroom only Sclerotia (truffles); a lot of big Coffeshop were forced to close as they do not allow no more Coffeshops in the Main Streets. Anyway grown your owns were very easy! (Growkits and spores everywhere)
Then I went to French Polynesia few months ago, where I was able to hunt some P.Cyanenscens even if they'were small and pretty hard to find out (take a look to my firsts threads) they're here.
Then couple months ago i move to CA. very materialist, dense population and too much hot.. And as you can imaginate i was unable to find any active mushroom.

I'm now here in this amazing State and as I can see some active nature growth's can be founded.
I'm near LakeWood, I know that's it's agains the rules to ask for specific spots and that's not what I'm looking for.

I was just wondering if it was possible to have some tips of how the spots should look like, I saw around the threads that is NOT worth to look in MANURE and that GRASS (subbs) or WOOD (gymnopilus species) should  be my points of interest for hunt actives
in fact anything that can help me out but that's not against the rules of the forum will be really appreciated. :wink:
I saw that guys from CO and in this thread who have had and actually have affective hunts in places where grass looks fresh and not treated or cuted recently; where a micro and general environnent looks healthy; after some rains (OF COURSE) and early in the morning and sometimes late in the night.

As I can see is the season now :mushroom2::heart:
But I figured out that today and yesterday were really hot:

My questions are:
• Did I'm in a good place to hunt?
• did is always hot like this pending the summer?
• Should I wait for some more rain and cold before try my luck or I can try to hunt tonight/tomorrow morning?.
• Did people are open mind with psychedelics in this State? (I mean if I'm hunting somewhere and someone see me, can I have easy troubles?). For ex: in French Polynesia I was able to hunt in horses pastures but the owners of the lands ask me to give and hunt for them some edible ones.
• If I get hard time hunting.  it's that easy to find a connec here in CO.?

And of course if it's possible and not against the rules, maybe zones where I can look, I mean, the East/West/North/South of Lakewood, near lakes and/or parks... Etc..

Thank you so much, and sorry for this long story :eek:

Edited by Teivana (07/10/16 08:52 PM)

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Teivana]
    #23432091 - 07/11/16 01:20 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Right now, I don't even try since its 90s and dry.  I would explore the public parks in your area.  I know Lakewood has lots of parks and water running through it.  It might be interesting to explore all along those little waterways.

I would not advise trespassing.  In fact, trespassing with the intent to commit a crime, is a bigger charge than just trespassing.  I would not ask a stranger to go on their property and tell them you want to collect shrooms. 

I don't think that people here can advise on 'connects' or spots.  Colorado might be a lenient state, pot is legal, but I know many people come here and get into trouble.  Since you are a new guy to this site and state, just some advice...

--------------------

OfflineTeivana
 User Gallery

#23432189 - 07/11/16 01:55 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you so much for the advice i really appreciate it.

•Yes in fact you have a lot of Parks but the majority of them are pretty dry and no water around but we still have some parks with nice waterspots and great grass.
•Ok thank you very much !
**In ,FPolynesia I talk to the owner of the land as it was just in front of a vehiculed street and I didn't want to get busted, so I tell him that I was studying shrooms as I was a passionate of mycology, so I ask if I was allowed to come in as his lands seems to be good for mush developement he let me on but did not allow me to approach the animals (corned cows; so no thanks) so the owner let me in but ask me to give to him the adibles ones I was able to found like chantrelle and agaricus sp. well for some Copelandia Cyanenscens and a completely peace of mind that was a deal.

•No in fact I'm not looking for a connec or spots (its obvious no body will give them to random people ), but in fact ive read and hear around that in Boulder you can find lucy & mushy easily down the street but I was wondering if in fact that was still true for nowadays.

Yes this weather :sun: is just killing me and all our friends :mushroom2: :mad2:

Edited by Teivana (07/11/16 02:09 PM)

OfflineTeivana
 User Gallery

#23432232 - 07/11/16 02:15 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I've a question too, I know that Subbs did not grow in dung but is that possible that a land with ducks or/and goose and of course some waterspots near can be a nice place to look?

I've saw in some posts that the insect  environemment can and probably help the development of shrooms, did those animals and their dung can be useful or harmful to the development of mushy's and the good health of the land?

OfflineTeivana
 User Gallery

#23452564 - 07/18/16 11:12 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

hey guys, some of the founds of today, the weather is getting good for us! :smile:

What do you think?

Seconds

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23467392 - 07/22/16 08:12 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

My main location has been dry of mushrooms, but plenty on water. Must be too much water... But at my other location (for the first time this year) I found some! They are smaller, more hygrophanous, and have more cracking on the caps, but the bluing is intense in these specimens. I'll have pics up soon.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23470455 - 07/23/16 08:04 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

A little later than I thought, but here they are:

I also found some more this morning and I'll post those pics as well

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: isic] * 2
    #23474856 - 07/25/16 09:15 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Here is some close ups of the bluing

--------------------

Offlineweirdguy32
OTD shitstain
Male

Loc: Spicemaster SC
    #23474977 - 07/25/16 09:56 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

:aweyeah:

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23480866 - 07/27/16 12:09 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

isic said:
That could be the case. There are soooo many bees out there on those clover/flowers. In fact, I had to watch EVERY step I took, just to not step on any. I had to be careful picking the specimens, as bees were just inches away from my hand. I had to move real slow because of the bees, but the slower I moved, the more mushrooms I would find. It almost felt like I had a symbiotic relationship with the bees, but it looks like the reality is... the mushrooms might actually have the symbiotic relationship with the bees.

The thought of that is too fucking cool!

There might actually be something to this!

I was watching Staments doing one of his presentations and he mentioned oxalic acid.  That is, mushrooms make this and use it in the process of moving through a growing medium and it digests minerals etc and fights threats etc.

But, just the same week, I was reading about bees and those ugly bee mites (varroa).  And guess what?  they say oxalic acid is used to kill those things off the backs of bees in European hives!

--------------------

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#23481696 - 07/27/16 09:05 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

good stuff, Gilzman. 

every time i hear clover i also think of sorrel as it looks a lot like clover and it just so happens that it produces oxalic acid as well. 

^^^just a coincidence thing.

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: relic]
    #23482564 - 07/27/16 02:50 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I hear Rhubarb leaves have almost toxic levels of oxalic acid.  Hmmmm, I have a barrel that I put grass clippings in (organic), and they are rotting down nicely.  I might put rhubarb leaves in there also.

I take the paper from doing spore prints and will dump a coffee grind ball in the center and fold it all up and jam it down into the grass clippings. 

Here is a all coffee grounds/mycelia pic.  I microwaved the fresh grounds for 3 minutes and let that sit till it cooled down and sucked back the lid.  I then sprayed it with a hydrogen peroxide /water spray and , then carefully scraped up a big line of black spores ad dropped it into the middle.  So far, no contamination and a very aggressive spread.  I am hoping for a complete matt across the top this time.

I also have a very interesting coffee grounds and rabbit poo deal going.  I shredded the poo and microwaved the hell out of it and then sprayed it with the H202 and put that baby food jar with lid in a boiling bath for 20 minutes.  I made a compression cap so it built a little pressure.  I transferred some of the grounds-only mycelia in there and it is looking OK so far.  The H202 probably provides 02 as it breaks down...mushrooms, like us, breathe O2

--------------------

Edited by Gilzman (07/27/16 02:53 PM)

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#23485126 - 07/28/16 09:52 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Re: rhubarb, yes they do.  my grandma taught me a lot about wild foraging and we'd find wild rhubarb (burdock) in the spring.  her old skool wild foraging rule of thumb was to eat no more (raw) than ten leaves (for your ten fingers) at a time and eat only leaves that were no longer than your palm + fingers in length.  she'd sometimes collect more and boil them in two changes of water and serve as a sloppy boiled mess of greens with a dollop of bacon grease on them.  being a kid i never liked them too much but added about four leaves to a foraged salad this past spring and enjoyed it.

i think the size thing was the only thing that saved those old timers--who often learned foraging during the depression era--from poisoning themselves.  the leaves of wild rhubarb were only that small for a very short period in the spring and as such one could only eat so much when strictly following those 'rules'.

Re: your experiments, more good stuff!  interested to see what happens with your projects.  thx for posting.

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23485708 - 07/28/16 12:55 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I got to post some better pics.

But, I think at this point, I will save up all my coffee grounds and actually do a 'Johnny Shroomy-Seed'.  That is, I will sprinkle them around known good spots.  They really take to it.

Weather has been too hot.  I fixed my in-ground sprinkler and have finally got the west side of my lawn looking green.  I was surprised to see a bunch of pink-gilled agaricus come up the next day.

--------------------

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#23485743 - 07/28/16 01:06 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

the heat, i get it.  we've had raw highs over 92 for 8 days running and at or near 100 several days.  heat index in the 100-116F range and you can see the humidity hanging in the air.

my manure pile has been reliably fruiting a conocybe sp, up to 35 a day for a small 4'x5' pile, but only one more cinct.  found some small cincts that were pretty dry in a newly sodded part of a yard and just added them to the manure pile at my house.  i'm watching your project and thinking of doing similar to seed my manure pile, maybe get ahead of the conocybes i've been pulling every day (trying to get them before they sporulate).

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23487603 - 07/28/16 10:05 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a pic of the 'starter' Java...It is actually Folgers with my wife's Viet coffee mix...

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#23487748 - 07/28/16 10:50 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, that's awesome Gilzman! I am trying stem butts on cardboard, and there is a little growth, but nothing like what you are brewing up. That is impressive!!!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23487848 - 07/28/16 11:35 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Man, you have the best lawn actives.  It's easy.  Just micro-zap the grounds (like 3 minutes), get a container and wipe it out good with a Clorox disinfecting wipe, and just DUMP a big scrape of black spores in it after putting in the grounds.  Open it every day, give it a good spray of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide with filtered water (on the edge), and keep it in a warm spot.  Maybe 10 days to 2 weeks you get a nice mat I bet.

Put that in your manure pile and report back...Oh!  It's raining, yeah!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#23487885 - 07/28/16 11:56 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Last couple of Colorado summers have had mild to almost silly-chilly nightly Augustness.  I like to track my energy bills, and I hate spending money, so I have seen that given enough rain, and a bit of humidity, I believe that these mushrooms that we hunt will grow not just in the spring/fall, but under the conditions that make them grow.

Tonight, after this nice chiller-rain, has given me hope. 

I also see the sun changing its angle and I know that other spots will now be viable.  Northern exposures will be investigated.

I suppose that growing mushrooms is convenient, and it is its own thing, but the hunt is another aspect, and the connection with your environment, can not compare to just a transaction.  Nothing against growing, me being a rabid vegetable grower...I just need the hunt.  I love theorizing about the interactions.  Why one place and not another might be viable.  It is actually a three dimensional puzzle in some ways.

All this because I saw a small patch of conocybe cyanapus in my backyard after the 3 days of rains that flooded Northern Colorado.

--------------------

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#23498707 - 08/01/16 03:24 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gilzman said:
Man, you have the best lawn actives.  It's easy.  Just micro-zap the grounds (like 3 minutes), get a container and wipe it out good with a Clorox disinfecting wipe, and just DUMP a big scrape of black spores in it after putting in the grounds.  Open it every day, give it a good spray of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide with filtered water (on the edge), and keep it in a warm spot.  Maybe 10 days to 2 weeks you get a nice mat I bet.

Put that in your manure pile and report back...Oh!  It's raining, yeah!

couple questions...

the grounds you used were leftover after brewing coffee i assume (not fresh)?
you spray with 50/50 H2O2/water around the edge of the substrate daily?

good stuff.

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#23498736 - 08/01/16 03:31 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

rained daily on six consecutive days and on the seventh day five cincts pushed up.  fighting slugs now.

i realized this past weekend that i forgot to mention that i put down a 6" thick mat of 'spoiled' hay as the farmers call it before layering the manure over it.  spoiled hay is basically any hay that has become somewhat moldy or was put away while too wet or that stock animals have bedded in for a few days.  in my case, it was hay that animals had bedded in so it wasn't fit for eating any longer in the farmer's eyes and he gave me as much as i wanted to collect.

i made the hay mat larger than the poo pile with the idea that the hay would keep the weed growth down and eventually become nutrient rich due to the manure runoff during rain storms.  the cincts that are now growing in my pile are all around the edges where the manure meets the hay.

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: relic] * 1
    #23500079 - 08/01/16 09:35 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Yes fresh brewed grounds out of the coffee machine.  Put in container and microwave for a few minutes.  Let cool down and spray them with 50/50 H202/H20 and the inoculate.  I like to put a big scrape in the center.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Gilzman] * 1
    #23524342 - 08/09/16 09:12 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

This is what it will look like in a few weeks.  I will use this as a transfer to a sterilized medium.  I am thinking of taking my composted grass clippings, putting them in a black container with a transparent lid and baking in the sun.  I will then soak it in a H2O2 mix and then rinse and use it as a medium.

close up...trippy

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! *DELETED* [Re: Gilzman]
    #23524365 - 08/09/16 09:22 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Gilzman

Reason for deletion: dead pic

--------------------

OfflineKushMurderMystery
Stranger

Loc: colorado
    #23555396 - 08/18/16 10:39 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

What areas do you look in for the subs? Just lawns or are wildlife areas good

OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: KushMurderMystery]
    #23555405 - 08/18/16 10:41 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Well fertilized lawns are good for cincts/subbs, also horse pastures.

When you hunt for them in lawns, make sure to keep an eye out for lawns that are treated with nasty chems, you don't want to pick shrooms that come from those areas.

--------------------
©️

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#24356790 - 05/28/17 04:25 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

damn, i lost my pics.  I will try and reload them or delete the posts....Anyway....New stuff, the snow and hail and rains werre great...

A little guy at the bottom...

--------------------

Edited by Gilzman (05/28/17 04:35 PM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26069326 - 06/23/19 01:32 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry I didn't get any pics from last year... Wasn't the best year, but this is my first haul of 2019. I was ran off the field by the rain so I could have grabbed many more. This years rain will make this season a bonanza!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#26069901 - 06/23/19 07:02 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, last year was pretty poor.  I hope to get out Monday to look at known spots, and also use my bike to cycle around to quickly do recon.  My lawn has dozens of the mushie oversaturated foes.  Much rain and almost chilly nights.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26070169 - 06/23/19 09:22 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Same here... TONS of Foes in my front yard. Much more than I have ever seen in my yard so far, but it was a sign to check my known Subb locations and BAM! Jackpot! I have a feeling this year is gonna be one of the best for Subbs!

Also, it's good to see you are still around Gilzman!

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#26070200 - 06/23/19 09:43 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

PM me if you want to meet some time.  I plan on doing some DNA tests.  I am not after anyone's 'spots'.  I am very interested in the whole panaeolus mystery. 

You can't swing a skinny dead cat and not hit 50 'foes' around here...

BTW, given the whole DNA sequence info ... I think we have to refer to them as 'lawn-actives'...till the jury comes in...

Edited by Gilzman (06/23/19 09:50 PM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26070893 - 06/24/19 10:50 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah for sure, and I'm not worried about any of my spots being discovered... There is plenty to go 'round!

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26072766 - 06/25/19 10:46 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Went to one of my spots yesterday and found the biggest "subbs" I have ever seen! Brought some of the bigger ones home to get some good spore prints and to my surprise, they were foes!

This is the first time I have found foes in this particular spot and I have never seen foes this big. The world of mushrooms never cease to amaze me.

I'll post pics a little later.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf