Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Gilzman]
    #21959656 - 07/18/15 08:37 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Hey fellow Colorado mushroom freaks! Thanks to EnergyTurtle's idea and permission from Mr. Rockefeller himself, I will turn this thread into the Official Colorado Actives thread!

I know Colorado isn't known as a hotspot for actives, but we do have some and now we have an Official thread to post our finds!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: isic]
    #21959902 - 07/18/15 10:15 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Happy dance!

:africaface: :prettyflyforawhiteguy: :fuckyeahdance: :hellyeah: :stayfunky: :thatsjustswell:

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/18/15 10:19 AM)

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: EnergyTurtle]
    #21960028 - 07/18/15 11:03 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

WOW! Now all we need is some rain...

--------------------
The more I see mushrooms, the more I see mushrooms. I swear it gets into you.

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21960236 - 07/18/15 11:56 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

3rd day in a row finding subbs. 27 specimens on day1, 4 on day2 and 6 on day3! I even dug up a portion of the base to scope some pins. It was hard to focus in on these little shits, but I got a few pics of today's find.

In the third pic, if you look hard enough, you can see little tiny blue pins.

BRING THE RAIN!

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21960258 - 07/18/15 12:01 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Nice, sounds like that patch is treating you well! I meant to ask if you could get a pic of the foenisecii which grow in that field, for comparison? Are the gills on the fresh foenisecii noticeably lighter in color than the fresh subbs? How about the caps? Your fresh subbs seem a little more grey (less brown anyway) than the fresh foes that I've been finding.

--------------------
"You decadent pig. Where the fuck do you get the nerve to go around telling those wops that I'm crazy? You worthless cocksucker. My Italian tour is already arranged for next spring & I'm going to do the whole goddamn trip wearing a bright red field marshal's uniform & accompanied by six speed-freak bodyguards bristling with Mace bombs & when I start talking about American writers & the name Tom Wolfe comes up, by god, you're going to wish you were born a fucking iguana!" - Hunter S. Thompson, 03/03/71 Letter to Tom Wolfe.

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/18/15 12:02 PM)

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21960426 - 07/18/15 12:39 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Unfortunately I did not get a pic of them in the grass, but I did get a pic of them when I returned home. I also wanna be clear that these foes were found at the same school, but a completely different area and patch of grass. In fact, the grass was a different kind from the grass where the subbs are found.

The grass the foes were found in was a much more fine, less thick grass that sees a lot of shade. It's the grass right along the building that doesn't get played on and it's under a bunch of trees. The foes were found in a group that was in only about a 5x5 foot area. No other foes in the rest of the yards of grass in that "patch" of grass. Or the whole school for that matter.

The subbs on the other hand grow all throughout the "playing field" next to the playground. I would say the range was maybe 50 yards by 75 yards. The grass is much thicker, looks like it gets watered more, but mowed less. There really is no shade in this field and I think the long grass is what shades the subbs at this particular location.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21960981 - 07/18/15 03:15 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I may have scored a small handful of subbs, I'm running a print now to check them out. Hopefully they'll drop enough spores for me to get a good ID, cause they are some tiny specimens.

I'm feeling hopeful though because despite their size, I think I may have observed some visible bluing on about five of them. When I first pulled them out of the grass, I could see a tiny dot of bright blue on the mycelium threads. These are so small that my eyes may have been playing tricks on me, but it looked pretty blue, almost like the mycelium was infected with a blue mold at the base. No blue on the stems whatsoever. I tried to handle them as carefully as I could so I could bring them back and get a pic of this, but I think that the moisture in my hands ruined it or something, the stems darkened to a deep purple (almost black) and went limp, now you can't see the blue on any of the specimens. The mycelium was the only part of the mushroom that was truly white before the stems went limp, which may be why the blue was able to come through so clearly. But now the mycelium is as dark as the stem.

It could have just been my eyes; hopefully I'll get a good print and my suspicions will be vindicated.

--------------------
"You decadent pig. Where the fuck do you get the nerve to go around telling those wops that I'm crazy? You worthless cocksucker. My Italian tour is already arranged for next spring & I'm going to do the whole goddamn trip wearing a bright red field marshal's uniform & accompanied by six speed-freak bodyguards bristling with Mace bombs & when I start talking about American writers & the name Tom Wolfe comes up, by god, you're going to wish you were born a fucking iguana!" - Hunter S. Thompson, 03/03/71 Letter to Tom Wolfe.

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21961293 - 07/18/15 04:36 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Here is the prints from the foes I found today. To my surprise, the prints are much darker than the specimens I take from my backyard. I am still pretty sure these are foes (because there was no bluing present) but the prints are a whole hell of a lot closer in color to the subb prints.

Definitely makes me wonder...

EDIT: Here is a comparison... foe vs foe prints. The 2 on the right are from my backyard, and the rest on the left are from the school.

Edited by isic (07/18/15 09:11 PM)

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21962056 - 07/18/15 07:44 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I dunno, they look close to your subb print from earlier, but I think I detect just a hint of purple in those foe spore prints. I think I'm getting the hang of this now, I've been looking at a lot of comparison photos and collecting lots of Panaeolus for the last two days. If my suspicions are right, then I actually collected quite a few subbs yesterday but ditched them. Today I found a field pretty close to home where I think that the subbs actually outnumber the foes. Here are some observtions I've made, see if they hold true according to the specimens that you've collected:

Panaeolus foenisecii:

- Light tan stem that does not change color after being picked, damaged, squeezed, or dried.
- Flesh and stem are generally tougher than subbs.
- Feel "drier" than subbs, squeezing the stems releases some moisture, not a lot.
- Gills may start out a light color, from almost completely white, to tan (very close to the color of the stem and cap), to a shade of orange-brown; they then dry to a more traditional darker shade of brown. The gills, both fresh and dried, are significantly lighter in color than cinctulus gills.
- Fibers of the stem run from the base to the gills in a straight line.
- Often grows in large clusters.
- The stems have a smooth texture.

Panaeolus cinctulus (aka subbalteatus):

- Generally shorter than foenisecii.
- Sometimes bruises blue at the base and on mycel threads.
- Moister than foenisecii. Squeezing them will leave a lot of moisture in your hands, and the mushrooms practically disappear when squeezed hard enough. 
- Gills dark brown to black when fresh.
- Unlike foenisecii, it usually does not grow in large clusters, preferring clusters of two to three mushrooms each, which are widely spread across their environment.
- The stems darken as they dry, especially on small specimens, and especially where bruised or damaged, from tan to red to purple to black. Most stems have a noticeable redness to them.
- The stems sometimes have a slightly "rough" or "hairy" texture to them, especially around the neck (stem just below cap)
- The fibers of the stem spiral up from the base to the cap. When small specimens are dried, the stems may look like thick, curly black hairs (they get a curl to them as they dry).
- Sometimes has a "silvery sheen" to it, while foes look a bit more matte.
- If you "squish" the top gently with your finger, it will leave a dark print on the cap (where the cell walls are broken and the moisture is released I think? Very similar to bruising, but not blue.)
- The gills are fairly dark when they are picked, fading to a jet black as they dry. If smeared across paper, the gills will stain the paper black like a very thin black watercolor.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21962386 - 07/18/15 08:55 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I have noticed that the foes I find are on average much smaller and more fragile compared to the subbs I found.

The subbs seemed to be much more rigid in the stem (which makes picking them easier) and the stems are also wider and much longer than the foes I find.

It seems the opposite in my findings as the foes seem more moist than the subbs, but I honestly think that has more to do with immediate habitat and moisture than it does with species.

It seems easier to squeeze and "squish" the foe stems than the subb stems.

Obviously the biggest difference is the bluing, but overall I think the size is the other factor with my findings.

The stems on the subbs are more "red" than the foes, but the caps of the foes dry a darker brown. Where as the subbs' caps maintain more of a lighter brown even cream color when dried.

Dried subbs:

Dried foes:

*These are foes from my backyard

The gills are darker on the subbs and they both smell completely different when dried... oddly enough, the foes smell almost identical to dried cubes.

--------------------

OfflineFerburu
Male

Loc: Flag
    #21964216 - 07/19/15 10:32 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I was surprised and happy when I found subbs in CO. It was July. I first found them on horse poo in the mountains. I first found one in Denver on the grass at this elderly home. A woman saw me and informed me the mountains have mushrooms lol. I later found a few here and there in the park next to Denver skate park

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: Ferburu]
    #21966491 - 07/19/15 06:17 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

These are some pics from my CO hunts

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21966605 - 07/19/15 06:44 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

isic said:
Bingo, I went back around 11:30 am today and found 4 more subbs! I decided to walk around the school to see what I could find and I thought I found the mother load, but they were just foes.

I really think that between 10am and noon, might be the right time to harvest subbs. the grass was much warmer and I could feel that it was much more humid closer to the ground, than it was this morning. Seems to be perfect after the sun had been on it for a few hours, but I think a good rain storm will do the trick for a massive haul.

Man, I can't wait for the late summer/early fall rains!

Where did you find them in relation to the sun?  Is it a Northern exposure?

Have you ever been to Lakewood?  I go there once a week, but if you go through the nabe, there are crazy creeks just gushing through people's properties.  Maybe I will do one of my slow jogs through there one week.

I don't like scanning for mushrooms in bright sunlight.  I find the best stuff when its overcast or early.

My peripheral vision is tuned to the shapes and colors of these things.

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21969499 - 07/20/15 07:02 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gilzman said:
Quote:

Where did you find them in relation to the sun?  Is it a Northern exposure?

Have you ever been to Lakewood?  I go there once a week, but if you go through the nabe, there are crazy creeks just gushing through people's properties.  Maybe I will do one of my slow jogs through there one week.

I don't like scanning for mushrooms in bright sunlight.  I find the best stuff when its overcast or early.

My peripheral vision is tuned to the shapes and colors of these things.

The field is actually in the wide open so it gets sun all day long. Lol, yeah, I've been to Lakewood. I actually live on the border of Lakewood and Denver... Just a few blocks in, on the Denver side.

--------------------

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21969611 - 07/20/15 07:50 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Picked a bunch of foes again yesterday, lol. We got some all-night rain last night, so I'm feeling very hopeful for today. Gonna give the dog his medicine and then head out for another hunt. I do think I scored a very small handful of subbs the other day, I'm gonna check at that spot again today and hopefully find some larger specimens with some visible bluing.

I collected a very strange specimen yesterday with long, greenish-purplish stems up in the woods near Helen Hunt Falls. Still working on a proper ID, they were too old to drop any spores. They had a strongly farinaceous odor, like a paper bag full of dung-loving mushrooms. My first instincts told me that they were active, but I'm very doubtful that they are Gymnopilus specimens since they are lacking some crucial details that most Gymnos should have (persistent ring, heavy orange-brown spore dust on the stem).

--------------------

Offlineisic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21970270 - 07/20/15 11:21 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I went back to my spot this morning at about 9:30am and looked around for an hour and a half. All I found were two foes and two subbs.

Here is a pic of one of the subbs I found today.

Here is a pic of the other subb I found today. I decided to post a pic of this because the blue bruising was much more noticeable after it had dried for about an hour.

--------------------

Edited by isic (07/20/15 12:14 PM)

OfflineEnergyTurtle
Moped Freak
 User Gallery

#21975295 - 07/21/15 11:37 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

So here are some pics of the population that I'm attempting to identify. These grow at a park very close to home, and seem distinctly more subb-like than the P. foenisecii which I've collected from other parks around the city. This park in particular has a rodeo ground and horse corral maintained by the local equestrians club, and these grow on the parts of the lawn that are closest to the corrals.

The first pics attempt to show the very faint bluing that I've observed on the mycelial threads. I've tried to get their prints three times and failed each time, I'm hoping to get good prints today using a different technique. A few of these pics are magnified images of the stems on these possible subbs, showing the spore deposits left on the stems in comparison to some P. foenisecii prints in the background (all prints in these pics are from P. foenisecii). The final image shows the gills of these possible subbs in comparison to the gills of some known P. foenisecii specimens.

Hunting Cinctulus in Colorado Springs

Sorry, if I embed the pics, the thumbnails are always way larger than the message window, it's very annoying.

--------------------

Edited by EnergyTurtle (07/21/15 11:40 AM)

Offlineamilibertine
It’s good to be back!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern South Midwest
Trusted Identifier
    #21975319 - 07/21/15 11:43 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

The spore deposits on the stems do indeed look black.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

Re: 1st legit Pan subb haul! [Re: amilibertine]
    #21975702 - 07/21/15 01:42 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I picked these two yesterday after a short rain. 

Note the larger one was 'dark-capped' from being old and over watered.  They get mushy when they are like this and have to be handled delicately.  Note the spore print, lots of brown stain from the actual cap, and black spores inside.

--------------------

OfflineGilzman
Strangerthanfriction

#21975732 - 07/21/15 01:51 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Today was better...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags