Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Portabella cultivation
    #2177928 - 12/14/03 09:53 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

*I'd use the search if it were available*

Anyone have any details on cultivating portabellas? If it is even possible on the hobbyist scale? As most of you know it is a fine tasting mushroom and I would love to be able to grow some of my own!

I was at the grocery store today and saw some fresh portabellas and one had a cap diameter of about 9".

TIA

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Portabella cultivation [Re: daywalker]
    #2178106 - 12/14/03 11:05 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Check out the faq at the top.

They are easy to clone on agar and transfer and fruit on grain, with a peat and limestone casing.

It's hard to make your own compost.
edible mushrooms
Common Button Mushroom (Agaricus bisporus)

The white button mushroom and its various forms (Crimini, Portobello, and Portobellini) are grown on compost. Straw, either alone or with horse manure (a little horse manure in straw, usually from racetrack bedding) is the starting material of compost and provides structural and chemical properties. The straw is supplemented with nitrogen in the form of various agricultural wastes such as cottonseed meal and chicken manure. During composting, certain physical qualities (permeability to air and water holding ability) and chemical properties (nutrient availability to the mushroom and the exhaustion of nutrients for competitors) are developed as organic matter is consumed and heat is released by generations of microorganisms. The heat needed for these reactions requires a pile of straw of considerable size. The labor and/or machinery required for handling the compost pile generally prevents the small grower from producing good quality compost. Special rooms with controlled temperature, humidity, and fresh air are also necessary to produce the appropriate conditions to pasteurize and condition the finished compost. Unless compost is available, the production of the button mushroom is fairly technical and generally beyond the ability of the hobbyist or small grower.

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Re: Portabella cultivation [Re: falcon]
    #2178136 - 12/14/03 11:14 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for that informative reply, falcon. I will scour the FAQ and link provided. I have read that there are pre-mixed mushroom composts available. Where this info came from escapes me at the moment.

Thanks again.

--------------------

Invisiblethescientist
Loc: Dade County
Re: Portabella cultivation [Re: daywalker]
    #2180897 - 12/15/03 08:52 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

its NOT hard to make your own compost and if your not, you should. It greatly reduces what you put on the curb.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Portabella cultivation [Re: thescientist]
    #2181356 - 12/15/03 11:27 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

my mistake, its not hard to make compost, its hard to make compost that portabellas will grow and fruit on.

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
Re: Portabella cultivation [Re: falcon]
    #2181536 - 12/16/03 01:41 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

thats not hard, the fruiting is only difficult if you sterilize the casing material, it kills the bacteria the triggers fruiting in ports

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Re: Portabella cultivation [Re: Granola]
    #2186222 - 12/17/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Would that HMC be suitable?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate