Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHugh_Jass
pantydealer
Loc: Northern Ireland
Parasites
    #2171014 - 12/10/03 01:52 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I was having a great mushroom season which started early in September with big libs but as the days grew shorter I had less time to pick and I was putt off by an incident where I neglected a batch of mushrooms I had drying for quite a few days and came back to find hunderds of little white worms had crawled everywhere in the cupboard.

A few weeks ago I watched a program about parasites(human and animal) and last week I got stuck between two farmers having a conversation about the massive fluke worm outbreak last year, this has left me very paranoid about what else could be in the mushrooms Ive been eating, the worms crawl out but eggs cant.

The thing that really set me off was seeing a close up of some white blob, which was a worm, just lying on top of the grass then a cow comes along and eats it unaware. I remember finding some wierd leech/tape worm thing once when I was a kid and putting it in a jar, it stretched out many times its size when it was in water and actualy managed to pop the lid and escape!

Does anyone know the risks or heard of any such cases?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Parasites [Re: Hugh_Jass]
    #2171045 - 12/10/03 04:19 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I have a feeling the worms you're seeing are some type of fly or gnat larve. Chances are that our digestive systems are strong enough to kill these worms, we've got hydrochloric acid in our stomachs... cow's don't :smile:

We've also got some crazy enzymes that break appart proteins(worms are mostly proteins).

I think most of the parasites we should worry about are in either meat, water, or feces. Granted, if you eat some rotting mushrooms you can get some nasty bacterial infections(food poisoning).

Offlinewookie
life enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: the north state (Californ...
Re: Parasites [Re: Gumby]
    #2171541 - 12/11/03 07:35 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

mmmmm... proteins

--------------------
-=* dUMb \/\/00kIe *=-

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
heart worms [Re: wookie]
    #2171705 - 12/11/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

everyone in town has been saying you can get heart worms from eating fresh cyanescens. jesus christ, thats some scary shit. especially since i've eaten them fresh about 5 times in the last couple years.

anybody know anything about this? if it helps i live on the oregon coast. thanks.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: heart worms [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #2171930 - 12/11/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Heartworms have caused infections in humans, but it's fairly rare.

Here's an article that should help. There's a section about 2/3 of the way down that mentions human infections.

A search through Google of human parasites seems to show that the majority of links are websites trying to sell you herbal remedies. I'd suggest that if you suspect you may be harboring some sort of parasite that you discuss it with a doctor. They will be able to find out if you are are and treat it.

Probably the worst parasite of humans is Malaria. It's incurable but treatable, and it's one of the major killers of people in tropical Africa. There are about 300 million cases a year and about a million people a year die of it.

Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: heart worms [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2172274 - 12/12/03 03:38 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Those are fruit fly larvae and are in cubensis shrooms also. I just posted recently here a post of buffalo shit, The flies laying their eggs, the maggot worms hatching and eating the cap of the shroom, and then the ants who come and eat the worms. Evolution. And the like somewhere with many pictures of the shroom disoloving from being eaten.

If you cannot find it here int he Shroomery somewhere then look for the post at http://nansnook.com in the journals forum under my forum called Tales of the Shroom.

The shit, the flies, the shrooms, the worms etc.

mj

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: heart worms [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2172599 - 12/12/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i suspect that gastrointestinal worms, while largely uncommon, would be more likely in coprophilous mushrooms than in lignicolous ones, as the dung would seem to be the most likely vector.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale