Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

Battle of Stalingrad and flight sims with track IR and stick
    #21713942 - 05/23/15 12:01 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone into flight sims?

Myself I have just gotten into them. I bought BOS at christmas and realized that I needed a joystick and throttle to play it so I went the whole hog and purchased a thrust-master Warthog HOTAS. I also got track IR and rudder pedals and instead of taking the easy option as I would do in the past decided to turn on complex engine management and actually learn how to fly the plane!

I've got to say it was and is a very rewarding experience. I've found as I get older that playing games leaves me feeling almost guilty or something like I am actually wasting my life (much more so than with movies strangely) but with a flight sim it feels more like actual learning.

The sense of satisfaction you have when first managing to land a plane feels like a genuine achievement!

Of course its largely all in my head and doubtful that anyone is going to be hiring me to pilot their world war 2 fighter plane any day soon but still learning is learning!

Track IR is amazing too and now I wouldn't fly without it. You can not only move your head to look through the window but if you so wish actually stick your head out of it, and its an amazingly immersive experience. More importantly than that though when flying a plane you actually need to be using your head and not your hands to look around.

I think alot of people are holding back on getting track IR because VR seems to be right around the corner but I get the feeling lately that its going to be a while yet. To be honest though I'm not quite sure how its even going to work as a screen over ones eyes will surely blind the flyer to all the buttons he needs to be pressing to fly the plane.

Same problem with a mouse and keyboard for first person shooters.

Probably by that point I'll have gone full retard and have built myself into an actual plane! I am mulling getting the throttle quadrant but saiteks product suck and there does not seem to be much anything else! Buying the warthog taught me that it pays to get quality products that will last. The thing is a fricking beast and an actual replica!

Anyway just wanting to recommend a new type of gaming experience that many people maybe have never even considered going through the expense and effort needed to enjoy and experience.

The warthog and throttle with track IR and rudder pedals will all in set you back about 500 pounds more or less, but its a great experience and compatible with many different games these days. Its such a great stick that it will probably survive many computers if not you yourself the quality is that good!

Who the hell really wants to play a game like arma 3 flying a helicopter or a jet on a fricking keyboard?

I may have turned into a geeked out elitist but once you try a wheel for racing or a stick and throttle for flying you honestly wont want to go back.

Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=warthog+thrustmaster

--------------------
"I'm every nightmare you ever had. I am your worst dreams come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of."

Pennywise the dancing clown

Edited by wolf8312 (05/23/15 01:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Battle of Stalingrad and flight sims with track IR and stick [Re: wolf8312]
    #21714034 - 05/23/15 12:27 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I have the aame with submarine/ships.

I've tried flight (helicopter/plane) on PS1 but didn't really want to go more advances more so I guess it's not for me.

The amount of immersion and difficulty in these games is insane though (well go figure, they're copied from the real thing :P)

You shouldn't feel guilty. If ever someone bejudges me for gaming I tell them: I want to play this game because I can do what I want unlike watching the same commercials over and over.

Edited by Beanhead (05/23/15 12:30 PM)

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

Re: Battle of Stalingrad and flight sims with track IR and stick [Re: Beanhead]
    #21714204 - 05/23/15 01:23 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah its not just guilt exactly, as in I worry about what society thinks of me or anything, just a nagging sense sometimes that I am not even really enjoying alot of games today and could be doing something better- even watching a movie though I never watch TV.

Many games out there today are also seriously dumbed down and too easy to present any real challenge. They are like the gaming equivilent of dumbass hollywood, good guy Vs the bad guy, movies with the outcome being so obvious and predictable before hand that theres really very little point in seeing a game through to completion especially not for some cheesy ass plot or your avergage computer game storyline.

GTA5 for example is for me just a very pretty game but essentially pretty crap in terms of challenging realistic gameplay, and I'd much prefer to play something that looks like GTA 5 but aims to simulate real life as much as possible.

Some people would call that 'funned down' I suppose but personally I have more fun playing games that are realistic and more difficult to master. Arma over BF4 for example dying every ten seconds is not realistic even in war!

Submaries huh? I remeber playing a sub game that I think was very similar to the IL engine. I rather enjoyed it!

Yeah the sticking point with flight sims is you have to go all or nothing really, when I got the stick and throttle I soon realized I needed to get track IR, and then the peddals. After a while you've gone so far it's like it wouldnt pay to quit and before long you end up taking it way to far like the guy in the link bellow! You get the feeling that a guy like that is never going to be happy until he's actually flying a real plane!

--------------------
"I'm every nightmare you ever had. I am your worst dreams come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of."

Edited by wolf8312 (05/23/15 01:50 PM)

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #21715771 - 05/23/15 09:39 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

There are quite a few people that flight sims were their first step to becoming real pilots.  First its a joystick, then the pedals, then this and that and after a while your workstation looks like a star fighters cockpit.  Not long after a lot of people start learning how to fly actual planes and go take lsessons n shizzle.

I mean hell, terrorists used microsofts flight sim to learn enough to actually hijack planes!

On your VR comment, about seeing the keys.  Most gamers dont ever look at their hands or what they are pushing anyway.  Its all muscle memory or your hands are always in the same place, like an FPS.  Flight sim I imagine is idifferent since you have all these sticks and eternal buttons thaat you might only pres once per flight or something.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

Re: Battle of Stalingrad and flight sims with track IR and stick [Re: mndfreeze]
    #21716276 - 05/24/15 01:40 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
There are quite a few people that flight sims were their first step to becoming real pilots.  First its a joystick, then the pedals, then this and that and after a while your workstation looks like a star fighters cockpit.  Not long after a lot of people start learning how to fly actual planes and go take lessons n shizzle.

I mean hell, terrorists used Microsoft's flight sim to learn enough to actually hijack planes!

On your VR comment, about seeing the keys.  Most gamers dont ever look at their hands or what they are pushing anyway.  Its all muscle memory or your hands are always in the same place, like an FPS.  Flight sim I imagine is idifferent since you have all these sticks and eternal buttons thaat you might only pres once per flight or something.

Yeah I think I would have to fly simplified controls which would be worth it but still a shame. VR will bring with it all sorts of innovations I imagine, as thats the main problem they are facing I think the control system.

I've played games in darkness before and although I can basically remember where everything is on the keyboard I do often tend to lose my bearings, I couldn't myself type accurately from muscle memory but I had a friend once who said that he could.

--------------------

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #21716557 - 05/24/15 05:08 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Well think of it like a car.. you dont look at your hands and feet when driving a car do you?

I imagine most light air craft are the same.  The conceps are similar.  So I would imagine it would be similiar with a proper simulator setup in VR.  Obviously if you use your keyboard a lot to mimic other keys tho that might be harder.  But if you had a stick and pedals and thrusters and stuff as phuysical controllers you can map then it sjhouldnt be an issue.

I think as VR tech takes off, we will start to see more sensors and addons to go with it, like for example, gloves with sensors so a game can take input of where your hands are, and draw them into the game.  So say you are doing a flight sim, and you have some controller designed for new VR flight sim 9 million.  Outside in the real world it could be a console in front of you with buttons that click and function, like would be in a big jet or something as well as your sticks and throttle and pedals.  But when you put your helmet/glasses on, along with some gloves with sensors in them, the game now draws your hands into the game world as well so the fake plastic console in front of you now looks like a 767 console and when you reach out, you touch a button in game that matches to a physical button outside.

That sort of stuff I'm sure iis still quite a ways off, we need the main VR to take off first, but still, if I thought of that just in this thread I can promise many others also thought of it and somewhere someone is planning on implementing it as soon as the technology is there or the market exists to make money.

:laugh:

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom