Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelutherarkwright93
Neophyte
Male User Gallery
2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner
    #21702835 - 05/20/15 03:51 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Just threw my tub into fruiting conditions after pins started to appear.
I've opted to go uncased this round after extensive reading on the debate.

Things are looking really good and I'm  really thankful to everyone here. I'm truly standing on the shoulders of giants with this undertaking.

Now, here are my current questions and I truly hope these will help someone else down the road.

1. Regarding the polyfill:
So with the bottom 4 holes, I find that after cramming the poly to desired tightness, I need to use scissors to trim it back inside the tub. Otherwise it's a big mess, taking up room in the tub and probably interfering with fruiting around those areas.

In the process of reaching in and adjusting the poly, cutting, etc. I couldn't avoid disturbing the colonized substrate a few times.
Also and probably more annoying is that the polyfill sheds onto the substrate around the holes and there's no way to remove the tiny threads without causing further damage....
These problems are only with the bottom holes. The top two are simple and mess-free due to how loose they're stuffed.

I'm interested in hearing opinions on this but I think that next time I'll either:

A. Stuff the bottom holes before spawning and use a transparent cover for the tub. Or...

B. Use the ironed poyfill squares from this tek:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20115107
No mess, no room taken up in the tub, and to boot you don't even have to take the lid off when applying them.

2. My next concern is regarding the continued water condensation that continues to drip down the sides, going underneath the liner inside my monotub.
I'm concerned this water could turn into a gnarly home for mildew or bacteria if left to sit. Am I wrong in being worried about this?

I'm considering gently poking a couple of holes on the bottom of the tub to let it drain. The only problem I see with doing this is that I'd be taking away a source of humidity.

Thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMatt87
Male User Gallery
Loc: Tennessee
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: lutherarkwright93]
    #21702868 - 05/20/15 03:58 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

1 yes, try different polyfill.
2 running under your liner? Tape your liner to the tub.

--------------------

Once you understand the way broadly, you see it in all things. -Musashi

InvisibleBuck513

Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: Matt87]
    #21702878 - 05/20/15 04:01 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Don't tape your liner.

--------------------
Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

Enter the Ban Lottery

OfflineMatt87
Male User Gallery
Loc: Tennessee
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: Buck513]
    #21702894 - 05/20/15 04:04 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Ohhh snap! What's your reasoning behind this?

--------------------

Once you understand the way broadly, you see it in all things. -Musashi

InvisibleBuck513

Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: Matt87]
    #21702905 - 05/20/15 04:07 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Because when subs colonize and eventually fruit, the substrate shrinks. Taping liners is counterproductive. Only time I have tape on my liners is when I'm spawning to bulk, just cause it makes it easier.
A nice smooth surface is also key

Often times I have small pools of water beneath my liner when I'm done with a tub. Having the water pool on top of the substrate is what would cause contam not pooling beneath the liner

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

Edited by Buck513 (05/20/15 04:10 PM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: Buck513]
    #21702972 - 05/20/15 04:29 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

:whathesaid:

If its going to pool, you want it to be under the liner, between liner and tub

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineGreen Bastard
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Canada Flag
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: mushpunx]
    #21703482 - 05/20/15 06:34 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I've found 3 distinct "varieties" of poly fill. Coarser or finer texture, and varying elasticity. They all stuff holes differently...

Offlinelutherarkwright93
Neophyte
Male User Gallery
    #21705094 - 05/21/15 02:19 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Green Bastard said:
I've found 3 distinct "varieties" of poly fill. Coarser or finer texture, and varying elasticity. They all stuff holes differently...

What's your favorite then?
I'm sure a lot of us new growers are surprised by the huge variety of polyfill available once you go looking for it at a place like walmart. Most of the teks I read don't specify which variety is ideal.
Stuffing the lid holes was a fucking task and a half with the stuff we got.

Quote:

Buck513 said:
Often times I have small pools of water beneath my liner when I'm done with a tub. Having the water pool on top of the substrate is what would cause contam not pooling beneath the liner

So you don't find the water creates any mildew or other funk? That's my main concern here.

Any warnings against drilling a drainage hole? I don't wanna lose moisture but I'd rather mist new clean water than have brackish water sitting in the tub....

And thanks for the interest and help everyone.

Offlinelovegivingchi
Stoner
Male

Loc: nor cal...far from the ci...
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: lutherarkwright93]
    #21705107 - 05/21/15 02:34 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

i have my first 5 monos colonizing now.
i have 3 with liners, and 2 without... just wanted to see if i prefer to mess with side pinning, or the liners.  i did not like the liners so much.  and i like to eat little mushrooms. :laugh:

but, if i were you, and i could very well be in a couple weeks regarding this situation, i would not drill holes, or anything.

seems to me, many many people use liners, and the monos form condensation, and it drips down. that's the nature of the monotub.
not to mention, it should be pretty clean under your liner.  you washed it right? i used 99% iso alcohol on mine.  gonna be hard for spores to get under your substrate liner, imo.

--------------------
rob from the rich, give to the poor.

OfflineApps
Code Junkie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southwest USA Flag
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: lovegivingchi]
    #21705144 - 05/21/15 03:13 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Green Bastard said:

I've come across natural (not made from recycled materials),synthetic blends (usually in pillows), and one made from all recycled materials. I personally like to use recycled on my mono tubs and the natural or blends where I Just need ge. In the end they all work the same,  but can be a little more difficult to work with in different situations I guess.

As far as holes in tubs,I put two little holes in a corner because I have had issues when I had to be away.  I live in a house just over 3000sq ft and it regularly gets over 110 here a good amount of the year. I just tape up the holes and if I have any excessive build ups tip the tub and drain.  I've hardly had to do it,  but did have a few losses where I had to leave out of state, and couldn't justify paying to keep the two AC's running enough to keep every room cool. I used the little guy in the picture to make the holes.  I just want to add that I only have issues with pooling if it gets really warm (almost 90+) causing excessive evaporation and can't say 100% that the losses we're caused by pooled water.I just sleep better 7 months of the year having them there.

--------------------
To be lazy is to die.

Offlinelutherarkwright93
Neophyte
Male User Gallery
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: Apps]
    #21705157 - 05/21/15 03:25 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lovegivingchi said:
not to mention, it should be pretty clean under your liner.  you washed it right? i used 99% iso alcohol on mine.  gonna be hard for spores to get under your substrate liner, imo.

I was quite careful, though one cannot be careful enough I suppose.

Water that makes its way under the liner has first evaporated from the sub, condensed onto the top/sides and then trickled down the walls to pool beneath the liner. By this time it will inevitably have picked up some things along the way, and it's impossible to prevent spores or other germs from having made their way into your tub. It's part of the deal with a monotub or any environment that isn't contained in a completely sterile environment.

It's definitely cleaner in there than any other place in the house, but still spores and germs are EVERYWHERE on EVERYTHING.
Not that I'm a hypochondriac.

Quote:

Apps said:
As far as holes in tubs,I put two little holes in a corner because I have had issues when I had to be away.  I live in a house just over 3000sq ft and it regularly gets over 110 here a good amount of the year. I just tape up the holes and if I have any excessive build ups tip the tub and drain.  I've hardly had to do it,  but did have a few losses where I had to leave out of state, and couldn't justify paying to keep the two AC's running enough to keep every room cool. I used the little guy in the picture to make the holes.  I just want to add that I only have issues with pooling if it gets really warm (almost 90+) causing excessive evaporation and can't say 100% that the losses we're caused by pooled water.I just sleep better 7 months of the year having them there.

I'm in a hot dry climate myself, tho the temps are currently lower than normal for this time of year. I've been using a turkey thermometer stabbed through the duct tape covering one of my bottom holes, plunging into the sub, and it's been reading between 70-77f for the past two weeks.

If I can put a hole in a corner without poking through the liner, I might do what you suggest.

InvisibleBuck513

#21705952 - 05/21/15 11:08 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Water doesn't randomly start growing mold:facepalm:
Its fine to have water beneath the liner

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

OfflineApps
Code Junkie
Male User Gallery

#21706211 - 05/21/15 12:32 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Buck513 said:

It's a much better breeding ground that just a pasturized sub though.

--------------------
To be lazy is to die.

OfflineCliftonGK1
Sasquatch
Male

Loc: A place
Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: Apps]
    #21706527 - 05/21/15 02:03 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I've had water outside the liner on all my tubs (which, admittedly, isn't too many, but I'm still batting a thousand.)  I haven't had any of them contaminate on me due to the pooling.  When I'm done, I pull the liner out and throw things away, dump the water, and clean out the tub.  Easy as that.  No issues.

--------------------

InvisibleBuck513

#21706843 - 05/21/15 03:26 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Apps said:
Quote:

Buck513 said:

:lolwut:

Are you saying its better to let water pool on top of your sub?

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

Offlinelutherarkwright93
Neophyte
Male User Gallery
    #21706891 - 05/21/15 03:39 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Buck513 said:
Quote:

Apps said:
Quote:

Buck513 said:

:lolwut:

Are you saying its better to let water pool on top of your sub?

I think what he's saying is that: While most substrates (coir and verm, mainly) being used for monotub grows are pretty resistant to contaminants....

....old water possibly with traces of grain and other funk (dust (skin) which will inevitably settle in your tub) and is resting in an ANAEROBIC environment at sandwiched between layers of plastic, COULD potentially play a decent host for some sort of growth. More so than the average pasteurized sub at least.

That beiing said, I'm glad to hear from growers that have never encountered problems relating to the water pools beneath their liners.

I'll report back once I pull my sub out as to whether there was any funkiness or mildew.

Anyone wanna give up what their favorite brand of polyfill is? Like name and type?

OfflineApps
Code Junkie
Male User Gallery

Re: 2 monotub questions/concerns: problems stuffing polyfill AFTER colonization & water underneath liner [Re: CliftonGK1]
    #21706901 - 05/21/15 03:44 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

It's going to grow regardless if all the conditions are right. I always get some standing water, and I only have holes to drain water on my mini monos. My personal situation wasnt a small amount of water that occurred under normal conditions.  Most of the water seemed to be evaporating out of the sub and ending up under the liner. I've only drained tubs a handful of times and the sub needed a good misting at that point anyways.  As for any other situation :shrug:. Some people just like peace of mind.

--------------------
To be lazy is to die.

OfflineCliftonGK1
Sasquatch
Male

Loc: A place
    #21709331 - 05/22/15 06:47 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lutherarkwright93 said:
Anyone wanna give up what their favorite brand of polyfill is? Like name and type?

I use Fairfield Poly-Fil(tm) purchased from Michaels craft store.  A 20oz bag was something like $8.00.
Not the Poly-Fil Quilt Batting, though.  This is the one with pictures of pillows and stuffed animals on the package. 

It's a short fiber batting that pulls apart really easily, but I find makes for great FAE.  I pull a palm sized wad from the bag, gently tug it into a sheet about the size of my open hand, then fold it in half, then fold that in half again before lightly rolling it between my palms.  It holds shape really well and doesn't pouf very far into the tub once placed in the air exchange holes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract