Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

Re: Alternative solutions to campaign finance reform. [Re: Bigbadwooof]
    #21658734 - 05/09/15 07:43 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

The best way I've seen to reform our political process and enable democracy to function better is to make it much more VISIBLE exactly what all these campaign contributions are expecting for all their cash/support???  I believe every year, every elected politician should be required to answer questions, from voters, UNDER OATH about where they got their money to get elected and what the big donors expected in return.  Teethy jail sentences for lying.  Whistleblower rewards to root out the liars.  WE THE PEOPLE need to know what politicians are being told to do by their big campaign donors. 

Sunshine is often the best disinfectant when it comes to politics.

--------------------
"The universe is endless, limitless and infinite.  Any effort to define it's boundaries is an attempt to overcome ignorance.  We are physical, mental and spiritual beings ... there is no beginning and there is no end.  There is only memory.  Our repeated loss of memory experiences create the illusion of beginnings and ends.  Immortality is the ability to retain full memory through all consciousness transformations.  Loss of memory is man's greatest curse and, in very real terms, death."

-- Ancient Taoist Master

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineBigbadwooof
Trumps Bone Spurs
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alternative solutions to campaign finance reform. [Re: KauaiOrca]
    #21658760 - 05/09/15 07:50 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KauaiOrca said:
The best way I've seen to reform our political process and enable democracy to function better is to make it much more VISIBLE exactly what all these campaign contributions are expecting for all their cash/support???  I believe every year, every elected politician should be required to answer questions, from voters, UNDER OATH about where they got their money to get elected and what the big donors expected in return.  Teethy jail sentences for lying.  Whistleblower rewards to root out the liars.  WE THE PEOPLE need to know what politicians are being told to do by their big campaign donors. 

Sunshine is often the best disinfectant when it comes to politics.

I like your solution. I believe this falls in-line with educating the public.

--------------------
"It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society," - Jiddu Krishnamurti
FARTS
"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell
Every one of you should see this video.
"Facts are chiels that winna ding, and downa be disputed" - Robert Burns

InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

#21658825 - 05/09/15 08:14 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Bigbadwooof said:

Secrecy, IMHO, is the number one enemy of democracy.  Our country has way, way too much secrecy when it comes to the relationships between politicians and those that fund their campaigns.  Paying a politician to vote in a particular way should be illegal.  No ifs ands or buts.

--------------------
"The universe is endless, limitless and infinite.  Any effort to define it's boundaries is an attempt to overcome ignorance.  We are physical, mental and spiritual beings ... there is no beginning and there is no end.  There is only memory.  Our repeated loss of memory experiences create the illusion of beginnings and ends.  Immortality is the ability to retain full memory through all consciousness transformations.  Loss of memory is man's greatest curse and, in very real terms, death."

-- Ancient Taoist Master

OnlineBigbadwooof
Trumps Bone Spurs
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21658946 - 05/09/15 08:45 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KauaiOrca said:
Quote:

Bigbadwooof said:

Secrecy, IMHO, is the number one enemy of democracy.  Our country has way, way too much secrecy when it comes to the relationships between politicians and those that fund their campaigns.  Paying a politician to vote in a particular way should be illegal.  No ifs ands or buts.

I'm not sure if you've looked at the 'campaign finance reform' thread, but we've been over that particular issue extensively. I started this thread to see examples of viable alternatives to campaign finance reform.

--------------------
"It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society," - Jiddu Krishnamurti
FARTS
"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell

InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

#21658951 - 05/09/15 08:48 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Bigbadwooof said:

I'm not sure if you've looked at the 'campaign finance reform' thread, but we've been over that particular issue extensively. I started this thread to see examples of viable alternatives to campaign finance reform.

I wish I had more faith that reform of our political process is possible, but I have very little.  I think the politicians have been taken over by the parties (a near mafia like network) and the corporations literally own the parties.  Politics feels more like PR for the masses while the real work of constructing the legal framework for managing the planet happens without the public even knowing about it. 

The visible government is simply not where the real power is, anymore.

--------------------

-- Ancient Taoist Master

OnlineBigbadwooof
Trumps Bone Spurs
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alternative solutions to campaign finance reform. [Re: KauaiOrca] * 1
    #21658994 - 05/09/15 08:58 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

That is clear. At least America is still equipped with many tools to resolve the issues we face. When we look at other countries in the world that have gone sour politically, they didn't have the same sort of rights that we do to combat the problems they faced.

I am optimistic. The worse things get, the more noticeable the problems are. Look at 'trickle down economics'. It wasn't that long ago that people could advocate this nonsense without sounding absolutely ridiculous. I just hope that we don't have to wait til we're burned to see the fire on every one of the problems we are facing as a society.

--------------------
FARTS

InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

#21659016 - 05/09/15 09:03 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Bigbadwooof said:
That is clear. At least America is still equipped with many tools to resolve the issues we face. When we look at other countries in the world that have gone sour politically, they didn't have the same sort of rights that we do to combat the problems they faced.

I am optimistic. The worse things get, the more noticeable the problems are. Look at 'trickle down economics'. It wasn't that long ago that people could advocate this nonsense without sounding absolutely ridiculous. I just hope that we don't have to wait til we're burned to see the fire on every one of the problems we are facing as a society.

Trickle down economics is a great example.  Yet, look at what has happened in the last 6 years.  Essentially, the top 5% have received almost all the financial gains of the "recovery" since mid 2009. 

We now have a global financial system that contains more than 800 trillion dollars in derivatives which are, essentially financial WMD's that allow the conversion of debt to a personal asset to happen with a degree of scale that is mind boggling.  Probably less than 5% of the political class that votes on this stuff understands it, but the people funding their campaigns sure do.

--------------------

-- Ancient Taoist Master

OnlineBigbadwooof
Trumps Bone Spurs
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21659050 - 05/09/15 09:12 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KauaiOrca said:
Probably less than 5% of the political class that votes on this stuff understands it, but the people funding their campaigns sure do.

This reminds me of Rick Perry's '3 things' he would change lol. It's quite sad when not only do they not understand the rhetoric, but they also forget the script! lmao

--------------------
FARTS

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #21675667 - 05/13/15 05:45 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Which is complete bullshit.  Please tell me what government control of commerce has to do with conservatism.  You do not get to redefine terms.

--------------------

InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

Re: Alternative solutions to campaign finance reform. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21677469 - 05/14/15 02:13 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Which is complete bullshit.  Please tell me what government control of commerce has to do with conservatism.  You do not get to redefine terms.

Whose "brand" of conservatism?  Carl Rove's?  Ronald Reagan's? Rick Perry's?  William F. Buckley's?  Barry Goldwater's?  Sean Hannity's?  Rush Limbaugh's? 

Conservatism is a very fast moving target.  To some, conservatism is small government, minimal government intrusion into our lives, limited government spending, reluctant involvement in foreign entanglements and the most minimum level of safety nets possible.  To others, conservatism is aggressive foreign intervention policy, extreme spending (Reagan tripled the national debt, BTW), a near theocratic government reach into our personal lives, extreme influence of government policy by large corporations and the growth of the police state to "protect" us from all the losers.

--------------------

-- Ancient Taoist Master

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom