Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibletrampis
mad hatter
 User Gallery

Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana
    #21574783 - 04/21/15 07:04 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

source.

Quote:

It’s April 20, or 4/20, a day when marijuana enthusiasts gather, legally or otherwise, to celebrate the joys of smoking pot — a sort of stoner Fourth of July.

Last year, President Barack Obama gave weed activists a boost when he said he considers marijuana no more dangerous than alcohol.

“As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life,” Obama told the New Yorker after Colorado’s historic legalization of recreational marijuana. “I don’t think it is more dangerous than alcohol.”

So where does the crop of current and possible 2016 presidential candidates stand on the issue of marijuana?

Jeb Bush, former Florida governor

• Ever smoke marijuana? Yes.
• Position on pot: Opposes legalization of both recreational and medical marijuana.

“I smoked marijuana when I was at Andover,” Bush told the Boston Globe in an interview earlier this year. “It was pretty common.”

But the former Florida governor has taken a hard-line approach when it comes to legalization. Last fall, Bush released a statement urging Florida voters to reject a ballot initiative that would have legalized medical marijuana in the Sunshine State.

“Allowing large-scale, marijuana operations to take root across Florida, under the guise of using it for medicinal purposes, runs counter” to efforts to make Florida “a world-class location to start or run a business, a family-friendly destination for tourism and a desirable place to raise a family or retire,” Bush said.

A majority of Florida voters (57 percent) disagreed, but the measure fell short of the 60 percent approval it needed to pass.

In an appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February, however, Bush said that while he opposes marijuana legalization, it should be up to the states to decide.

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul

• Ever smoke marijuana? Sounds like it.
• Position on pot: Supports decriminalization.

Paul is, perhaps, the most vocal among the 2016 candidates when it comes to weed.

Last month, Paul joined Democratic Sens. Cory Booker and Kirsten Gillibrand in introducing a historic bipartisan bill that would end the federal ban on medical marijuana, allowing “patients, doctors and businesses in states that have already passed medical marijuana laws to participate in those programs without fear of federal prosecution.”

In an interview with Yahoo News’ Katie Couric, Paul called out Bush for his opposition to Florida’s medical marijuana.

“If you’ve got MS in Florida, Jeb Bush voted to put you in jail if you go to a local drugstore and get medical marijuana,” Paul said. “Yet he was doing it for recreational purposes, and it’s a different standard for him because he was from a very wealthy family going to a wealthy school, and he got off scot-free.”

As for his own use?

“Let’s just say I wasn’t a choirboy when I was in college,” Paul said in an interview with WHAS-TV. “I can recognize that kids make mistakes, and I can say that I made mistakes when I was a kid.”

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker

• Ever smoke marijuana? No.
• Position on pot: Let states decide.

Last year, Walker signed a bill legalizing cannabidiol, or CBD, an anti-seizure drug that had been outlawed in his state because it contains a small amount of THC, the active chemical ingredient in marijuana.

But Walker still believes marijuana is a “gateway drug” that should remain illegal in Wisconsin, at least for now. “I don’t think you’re going to see anything serious anytime soon here, but if other states did, maybe in the next legislative session there’d be more talk about it,” Walker told Fox 6 News last year. “It may be something that resonates in the future, but I just don’t see any movement for it right now.“

Has Walker ever smoked weed?

“No,” Walker told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “The wildest thing I did in college was have a beer.”

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio

• Ever smoke marijuana? “If I tell you that I haven’t, you won’t believe me.”
• Position on pot: Supports limited legalization of medical marijuana.

In a 2014 interview with the Tampa Bay Times, Rubio said he supports legalizing medical marijuana — as long as it doesn’t get you high.

“If there are medicinal uses of marijuana that don’t have the elements that are mind-altering or create the high but do alleviate whatever condition it may be they are trying to alleviate, that is something I would be open to,” he said.

Like Bush, Rubio opposed last year’s ballot initiative that would have made medical marijuana legal in Florida.

Rubio has said that answering questions about his past use of pot is a lose-lose proposition.

“If I tell you that I haven’t, you won’t believe me,” Rubio told Fusion in 2014. "And if I tell you that I did, then kids will look up to me and say, ‘Well, I can smoke marijuana because look how he made it. He did all right, so I guess I can do it too.’”

He added: “The bottom line is that it is a substance that alters your mind. Now when I was 17 and 18 and 16, I made dumb decisions as is. I didn’t need the help of marijuana or alcohol to further that.”

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz

• Ever smoke marijuana? Yes.
• Position on pot: Let the states decide.

Cruz has shifted positions on the issue of legalization. In 2014, the Texas senator blasted the Obama administration for not interfering with states like Colorado and Washington on weed.

“The Obama administration’s approach to drug policy is to simply announce that across the country, it is going to stop enforcing certain drug laws,” Cruz told Reason magazine. “Now, that may or may not be a good policy, but I would suggest that should concern anyone — it should even concern libertarians who support that policy outcome — because the idea that the president simply says criminal laws that are on the books, we’re going to ignore [them]. That is a very dangerous precedent.

“Anyone who is concerned about liberty should be concerned about the notion that this president, over and over again, has asserted the right to pick and choose what laws to follow,” Cruz continued. “That is fundamentally dangerous to the liberty of the people.”

But at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February, Cruz said he supports Colorado’s experiment with legalization.

“If the citizens of Colorado decide they want to go down that road, that’s their prerogative,” he said. “I personally don’t agree with it, but that’s their right.”

Cruz smoked pot when he was a teenager.

“Teenagers are often known for their lack of judgment, and Sen. Cruz was no exception,” a Cruz spokesperson told the Daily Mail. “When he was a teenager, he foolishly experimented with marijuana. It was a mistake, and he’s never tried it since.”

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie

• Ever smoke marijuana? “The answer is no.”
• Position on pot: Opposes legalization.

Among all possible GOP presidential candidates, Christie is perhaps the most unwavering in his opposition to marijuana legalization.

“I believe that this is a gateway drug into other more serious drugs,” Christie said on his radio show last year. “I think it sends a wrong message to our kids, and I don’t think it makes anybody a better or more productive person.”

The New Jersey governor says his opposition to marijuana is reaffirmed every time he visits Colorado.

“For the people who are enamored with the idea, with the income — the tax revenue — from this, go to Colorado and see if you want to live there,” Christie said in April 2014, according to Policy Mic. “See if you want to live in a major city in Colorado where there’s head shops popping up on every corner and people flying into your airport just to come and get high. To me, it’s just not the quality of life we want to have here in the state of New Jersey, and there’s no tax revenue that’s worth that.”

In 2012, Christie was asked on Twitter if he had ever gotten high.

“The answer is no,” the governor tweeted.

Rick Perry, former Texas governor

• Ever smoke marijuana? “No, thank God!”

In a 2014 appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” Perry said he supports decriminalization.

“You don’t want to ruin a kid’s life for having a joint,” the then-governor said.

But when he was asked if he’d ever smoked marijuana himself, Perry responded, “No, thank God!”

Martin O'Malley, former Maryland governor

• Ever smoke marijuana? Unclear.

Last year, O'Malley signed into law a bill decriminalizing possession of 10 grams or less of marijuana in Maryland.

“As a young prosecutor, I once thought that decriminalizing the possession of marijuana might undermine the public will necessary to combat drug violence and improve public safety,” O’Malley said in a statement. “I now think that [it] is an acknowledgment of the low priority that our courts, our prosecutors, our police and the vast majority of citizens already attach to this transgression of public order and public health.”

O'Malley, though, said he was “not much in favor” of legalizing marijuana for recreational use.

Hillary Clinton, former secretary of state

• Ever smoke marijuana? No.
• Position on pot: Supports medical marijuana “under appropriate circumstances.”

While her husband uttered the most infamous response to the pot question (“I didn’t inhale”) in American political history, Hillary Clinton says she has never tried marijuana.

“I didn’t do it when I was young; I’m not going to start now,” Clinton told CNN last year.

On medical marijuana, the former secretary said it “should be available under appropriate circumstances,” but more research is needed.

“I think we need to be very clear about the benefits of marijuana use for medicinal purposes,” she said. “I don’t think we’ve done enough research yet.”

On legalization of recreational weed, Clinton says she wants to see how it works in Colorado and Washington first.

“States are the laboratories of democracy,” she said. “I want to wait and see what the evidence is.”

While the legalization of marijuana may be a campaign issue in 2016, past use of the drug won’t be one.

According to a CBS News poll released Monday, 75 percent of American voters say that a candidate’s history of marijuana use would not affect their vote. And 53 percent of Americans say the use of marijuana should be legal — an all-time high.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAtreyu
Never Ending
 User Gallery

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: trampis] * 7
    #21575893 - 04/21/15 10:45 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

How depressing.

--------------------

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L 

OfflineAllGreyThumbs
Storage Container Aficionado
Male

Loc: Some savage little planet...
Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: Atreyu]
    #21575930 - 04/21/15 11:03 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Every one of the with the exception of maybe Rand Paul is just a lying fuck head that says whatever they think will gain them some support.

This country is a fucking joke.  Talk, talk, talk about freedom and Liberty and then allow government to dictate what people are and aren't allowed to do with their own bodies.

May I live to see the day that Washington is in flames and the United States passes into history.  The we can try again, starting with freedom that means no government involvement in people's peaceful activities.

--------------------
I only use drugs medicinally.  If I don't my knees hurt from kneeling down.

InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male User Gallery

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: AllGreyThumbs]
    #21576436 - 04/21/15 02:18 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Haha Hillary. I thought Democrats were pro pot? I see multiple Republicans with much more progressive pot ideas than Billary has.

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: Magicman69]
    #21578241 - 04/21/15 09:01 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Magicman69 said:
Haha Hillary. I thought Democrats were pro pot? I see multiple Republicans with much more progressive pot ideas than Billary has.

Maybe since she's a woman, she doesn't want to seem too lenient; she's trying to seem tough and facts/results-based to an extent.

I do have a theory that she knows that it should be legalized/decriminalized but is trying not to reveal her cards. None of them want to do that until they think they know what the majority opinion will be.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Loc: United States Flag
    #21579641 - 04/22/15 09:26 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I find this article really promising. Ten or even five years ago we never would have seen mainstream politicians talking about their support for decriminalization or medical marijuana, especially republicans. Tides are changing.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: Capers]
    #21580118 - 04/22/15 12:21 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Lies

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: Konyap]
    #21581847 - 04/22/15 08:17 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

They are indeed changing and whether the politicians are lying or not about their semi-support for legal marijuana, I argue that the tide has already washed too far ashore, the snowball has already gathered too much momentum. Marijuana legalization/decriminalization is simply inevitable. It's not happening as fast as most of us would like, but it's happening nonetheless.

The official majority opinion has for a year of so been in support and that will only increase. The evil government's propaganda only worked because they were able to spread the misinformation before too many people knew otherwise, while at the same time disallowing and criminalizing proper scientific research, which certainly blocked real facts from getting out there.

I read somewhere that statisticians are baffled at the recent and sudden "breakneck" pace at which this is all happening. They point towards public opinion being the main cause...and that's even WITHOUT all that scientific info we've all been waiting for, just plain ol' experience, having hippy parents, and the "wtf" surreal juxtaposition of the Reefer Madness days of yore on today. People are just becoming more sensible in that way.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: dwnlw2slw] * 5
    #21582144 - 04/22/15 09:36 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: screamphilling]
    #21582511 - 04/22/15 11:23 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

People who have never tried weed scare me. I know almost no one who never tried it. Try it and not like it ok, fine. The people who are so scared of government propaganda they never took a toke are not suitable to be a leader of a nation.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: my3rdeye]
    #21583084 - 04/23/15 06:10 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

my3rdeye said:
People who have never tried weed scare me. I know almost no one who never tried it. Try it and not like it ok, fine. The people who are so scared of government propaganda they never took a toke are not suitable to be a leader of a nation.

Agreed. And actually Rand Paul is the worst one, he was the only person that tried to single-handedly block the ban of 2cx and the first RC laws in the US, and he was actually preventing it from passing. Then some guy ate a face in Florida (who had never even had any RCs) and he changed his mind to suit what the public *seems* to think is right. He's actually probably the most deceitful candidate here. I used to write politic ideas to Rand Paul when I still thought he was cool. And he'd respond. I can even find some of those.

Edited by Fractal420 (04/23/15 06:11 AM)

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: my3rdeye]
    #21587388 - 04/23/15 06:51 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I'd rather someone never tried weed then someone who tells other grown adults how to act naggingly

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: screamphilling] * 1
    #21588596 - 04/23/15 11:59 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

screamphilling said:

.... "You never asked if I ever had shrooms"

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: danlennon3]
    #21620781 - 05/01/15 06:28 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

They really do all suck. A country this big, with all this possible potential for growth, and these are the best representatives they could find? Running a country has turned into another reality TV show. Because its all bullshit anyway. If we cant even identify with a single candidate, something is wrong with "this democracy" (oligarchy really)

OfflinePowerTurtle
SirCoughsAlot
 User Gallery

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: Fractal420]
    #21643374 - 05/06/15 08:56 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

rand paul seems too good to be true

--------------------
Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards. Huxley

InvisibleAtreyu
Never Ending
 User Gallery

Re: Where the 2016 presidential candidates stand on marijuana [Re: PowerTurtle]
    #21644246 - 05/06/15 02:05 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I wish Mr. Rogers was our president.

--------------------

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L 

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#21644495 - 05/06/15 03:15 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Snoop Dogg...*clears throat* excuse me, Snoop Lion for president!!!  :jah:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag