Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Game reproductions
    #21557155 - 04/16/15 08:49 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Anyone else bought any of these? I grabbed up a bunch of SNES games that were never released in English, and some of these places produce quality that's pretty much indistinguishable from official releases, unless you put a magnifying glass to it or something.

Pretty good for RPG fans since a lot of the best ones for NES and SNES were never released in the US or Europe, but there's all kinds of other stuff available and it's a bit of a legal gray area so it could be worth snapping them up in case Nintendo or whoever else decides to do something about it.

There's a good few sites around, but I only have experience with www.gamereproductions.com and http://www.ocdreproductions.com. Not much difference as quality goes, but OCD are way faster and better with communication and what not, whereas the guy running Gamereproductions is lax as shit and never replies to anything (ordered a bunch of games, he sent a package with a few missing and hasn't got back to me since).

Either way, just wondering if this is some obscure thing I happened upon or if a bunch of gamers are into this now days. Gotta get yourselves some Star Ocean, Final Fantasy 5, Secret of Mana 2 and Tales of Phantasia on cartridge if you like SNES RPGs.

This isn't an advert, by the way. I don't make these myself or anything.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Game reproductions [Re: EllisDSox]
    #21565744 - 04/18/15 10:25 PM (9 years, 7 hours ago)

Guess it's just me then. Enjoy playing Star Ocean on emulator, cowards.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

OfflineAdolin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
    #21566189 - 04/19/15 01:25 AM (9 years, 5 hours ago)

emulators are the best. i have an SNES and PS1 in my closet and it would would take 5 minutes to set them up. i even have a few games still. do i use em? fuck no

emulators are awesome for so may reasons. you can save anywhere anytime, you dont have to pay for games, you can turn on frame skipping and play through boring parts you already know at 4x speed, you can pause during normally unpausable gameplay(for speed runs). shit, you can play a game and watch a movie on the same monitor.

there are so many reasons emulators are awesome

Edited by Adolin (04/19/15 01:26 AM)

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Game reproductions [Re: Adolin]
    #21567396 - 04/19/15 10:27 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

The music and colour just isn't up to par, unless you use BSNES which requires a pretty great computer to function. Obviously there are all sorts of advantages to an emulator, especially being able to own 10,000 games without spending millions, but I find original hardware plays the games better and it's not just some nostalgic bullshit.

Some people are anti emulator to a level that is frankly ridiculous, but I do think the original hardware plays better, particularly the music and colours. You're right about the speeding up, though. Trying to do certain things in RPGs without being able to fast forward is fully soul destroying.

--------------------

InvisibleByrain

#21567809 - 04/19/15 12:14 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I like the idea of game reproductions, but those prices are just stupid when you consider he's profiting from other people's free translations.  I use snes9x mostly because of the portability factor, but I still have my snes hooked up (Even though my tv broke).  You should try Tactics Ogre and Rudra no Hihou.

Edited by Byrain (04/19/15 04:30 PM)

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Game reproductions [Re: Byrain]
    #21568428 - 04/19/15 02:59 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I have an actual playable system but its dumb compared to my shitty laptop that can do the same thing

http://kotaku.com/here-s-your-complete-theatrhythm-dragon-quest-song-lis-1697651631

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Game reproductions [Re: Konyap]
    #21568739 - 04/19/15 04:15 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Emulators are great as long as the community keeps improving the drivers.

Otherwise it's a complete hassle setting up all drivers to run your game properly as the original hardware.

^Very fun projects if you're into programming though

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#21569513 - 04/19/15 08:01 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Byrain said:
I like the idea of game reproductions, but those prices are just stupid when you consider he's profiting from other people's free translations.  I use snes9x mostly because of the portability factor, but I still have my snes hooked up (Even though my tv broke).  You should try Tactics Ogre and Rudra no Hihou.

I actually have Treasure of Rudras on cartridge. The graphics and gameplay are on a par with FF6, but they took the non-linear thing a bit too far in my opinion, and probably made the right decision to not release it in the west. Still well worth exploring. Live a Live is fucking cool, too, and Emerald Dragon.

I just can't get into the turn based tactical games. I loved RA2 and Supreme Commander and all that, but all the tactical games on the SNES just annoy me. Fire Emblem and Bahamut Lagoon look amazing, but I know damn well I'd just get pissed off ten minutes in.

I'm actually probably going to buy a soldering iron so I can install battery clips in all my SNES games (rather than doing a ghetto job with duct tape), AND NEVER LOSE A SAVE AGAIN. Pretty excessive, since doing it the other way gives me about 15 years without trouble and I'm unlikely to be caring about Secret of Mana when I'm 40, but you might as well do it properly I guess.

Some of these games really are expensive, but mostly not more so than new games and since I don't play any new games at all, I'd say it's worth it for the real greats that I'll get literally hundreds of hours of fun out of.

I'll put up pictures of my collection one of these days if anyone gives a flying fuck. Got a beautiful custom Kirby SNES.

--------------------

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Game reproductions [Re: Beanhead]
    #21569551 - 04/19/15 08:10 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia and Secret of Mana 2 are the really great ones we missed out on over here. They could really push the limits of what the SNES was capable of in those latter years, so it's kind of a shame it was such a brief period. 1994-1996 the SNES was bringing out absolutely incredible games, but no one in the US gave a shit. Stayed popular in Japan way, way later than it did here.

There's a pretty intense online community of guys doing repros and trading obscure games and stuff, so if anyone cares anywhere close to as much as I do about the SNES and SNES, check out Nintendoage.com. Lots of stupid nerds arguing about dumb shit, but there's a good deal of interesting stuff on there, especially if anyone is into messing about with circuit boards.

--------------------

OfflineCoraltrout
Lost in space

#21569777 - 04/19/15 09:19 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

not sure how relevant to the topic but came across the ocarina of time reboot in 2D, massive props to the community putting together a not for profit platform. Pretty massive undertaking for a handful of guys/gals. 
http://oot-2d.com/
Begs the question do we think classic games many classic games will be rebooted or updated(mainly just Nintendo trying to claw back some market share!)
I am a massive fan of emulators but still struggle playing on a pc even with a controller, somehow lacks the connection to game.

--------------------
'For it's the end of history, it's caged and frozen still, there is no other pill to take, so swallow the one that makes you ill'

InvisibleByrain

#21570940 - 04/20/15 09:16 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I'm also a fan of western styled rpgs like Baldur's Gate so I like the non-linear aspect of Rudra no Hihou, not many jrpgs attempt that.  I was playing Emerald Dragon not too long ago and it was fun, but never managed to see it through to the end.  I've never given Live a Live a chance, maybe I should, what would you compare it to?

If you have a hard time getting into Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre will probably just piss you off even more.  Its a challenging game and one mistake can ruin an entire map, it is a little more lenient with permanent deaths though as you have 3 lives for each character.  The psp version is much more forgiving since you can rewind moves.  Vandal Hearts for the PS1 is a pretty accessible tactical rpg by comparison without any permanent deaths and a solid story.  I also recall liking how every time a character was killed they would spew an unrealistic fountain of blood, lol. 

I haven't had any issues with the batteries dying yet, but as far as I know I could have some that are already need fixing.  I'd rather just buy the Japanese carts and then patch the cart manually or even just force myself to learn Japanese, I'm probably just going to keep using emulators for the convenience factor though.

Since you mentioned Tales of Phantasia, you should also give Tales of Destiny a go.  It was intended for the snes, but then they started developing it too late into the console's life cycle and switched to the ps1.  Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 in the west, not to be confused with the real destiny 2 which is still Japanese only) is also pretty decent.  Some of the later games in the series have great combat such as Graces and Xillia (Even though the plot and characters suffer), but the best overall is probably Tales of Symphonia which actually takes place in the same world as Phantasia.  The later star ocean games by comparison suck, only the first 2 are really worth while.

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Game reproductions [Re: Coraltrout]
    #21572853 - 04/20/15 06:21 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Coraltrout said:
not sure how relevant to the topic but came across the ocarina of time reboot in 2D, massive props to the community putting together a not for profit platform. Pretty massive undertaking for a handful of guys/gals. 
Begs the question do we think classic games many classic games will be rebooted or updated(mainly just Nintendo trying to claw back some market share!)
I am a massive fan of emulators but still struggle playing on a pc even with a controller, somehow lacks the connection to game.

I actually have that on my PC somewhere, but you need a USB N64 controller or a reproduction to play it and I didn't want to buy a controller purely for that one game. Is it genuinely on a par with Link to the Past or the original OoT?

Looking at the site it seems to be only about 20% finished but I can imagine it being fun as hell if they ever do finish it. I thought it was basically a Link to the Past romhack but it seems all original.

Edit: Oh wow, it has online multiplayer. I really hope they finish this game. It'll take another 5 years though and I won't give a shit by then.

--------------------

Edited by EllisDSox (04/20/15 06:27 PM)

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#21572869 - 04/20/15 06:26 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Byrain said:
I'm also a fan of western styled rpgs like Baldur's Gate so I like the non-linear aspect of Rudra no Hihou, not many jrpgs attempt that.  I was playing Emerald Dragon not too long ago and it was fun, but never managed to see it through to the end.  I've never given Live a Live a chance, maybe I should, what would you compare it to?

If you have a hard time getting into Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre will probably just piss you off even more.  Its a challenging game and one mistake can ruin an entire map, it is a little more lenient with permanent deaths though as you have 3 lives for each character.  The psp version is much more forgiving since you can rewind moves.  Vandal Hearts for the PS1 is a pretty accessible tactical rpg by comparison without any permanent deaths and a solid story.  I also recall liking how every time a character was killed they would spew an unrealistic fountain of blood, lol. 

I haven't had any issues with the batteries dying yet, but as far as I know I could have some that are already need fixing.  I'd rather just buy the Japanese carts and then patch the cart manually or even just force myself to learn Japanese, I'm probably just going to keep using emulators for the convenience factor though.

Since you mentioned Tales of Phantasia, you should also give Tales of Destiny a go.  It was intended for the snes, but then they started developing it too late into the console's life cycle and switched to the ps1.  Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 in the west, not to be confused with the real destiny 2 which is still Japanese only) is also pretty decent.  Some of the later games in the series have great combat such as Graces and Xillia (Even though the plot and characters suffer), but the best overall is probably Tales of Symphonia which actually takes place in the same world as Phantasia.  The later star ocean games by comparison suck, only the first 2 are really worth while.

The thing is, I only have a PAL PS1 and it's broken as fuck. Real unlikely to get it fixed or replaced for the two or three games I'd actually end up playing. Although, I believe I still have a memory card with my FF7 saves so maybe one of these days. I bet a PS1 is like £20 or something now. My loyalty to the SNES is frankly ridiculous, but I know how obsessive I get with anything I get into, so if I start fucking with multiple consoles I'll never have any money for useful things again.

The really, really late SNES games that were generally download only (all that Nintendo Power and Satellaview shit) have frankly ridiculous graphics, but mostly they're either shit games or just way, way too Japanese.

Anyway, anyone wants to build a collection, use Nintendoage or Lukiegames, but I'd recommend Nintendoage. Ebay is very hit and miss in my experience. If it's not RPGs you're into, just mod your SNES and buy Japanese games. Can still get fucking boxes of them for like $30.

Speaking of old school crap, anyone seen FF7 on the NES?

--------------------

OfflineCoraltrout
Lost in space

#21572946 - 04/20/15 06:49 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BERSERK DESTROYER said:
Quote:

Coraltrout said:

I actually have that on my PC somewhere, but you need a USB N64 controller or a reproduction to play it and I didn't want to buy a controller purely for that one game. Is it genuinely on a par with Link to the Past or the original OoT?

Looking at the site it seems to be only about 20% finished but I can imagine it being fun as hell if they ever do finish it. I thought it was basically a Link to the Past romhack but it seems all original.

Edit: Oh wow, it has online multiplayer. I really hope they finish this game. It'll take another 5 years though and I won't give a shit by then.

Yep all original, they have a massive task ahead, I wonder if they 'remaster' the water temple, was bad enough in 3D, 2D could be a torturous mess!

--------------------
'For it's the end of history, it's caged and frozen still, there is no other pill to take, so swallow the one that makes you ill'

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Game reproductions [Re: Coraltrout]
    #21572959 - 04/20/15 06:54 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

It was that fucking block that raises with the water level that you have to swim over that fucked up everyone in the water temple. Since they probably can't make it so you can swim underwater, I imagine it'll just be like that temple in Link to the Past where you raise and lower the water levels to make different floors accessible.

The mad things people are pulling with retro games are way, way more interesting than even the best new games as far as I'm concerned. DIG THIS:

It says it's a TAS, but this is actually me playing.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom