Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Is installing cracked apps illegal?
    #21476375 - 03/29/15 08:55 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

I know it seems like a simple question, but is installing cracked apps in and of itself illegal? Is having a cracked app illegal? Or is it only illegal to CRACK an app and upload it somehow like via torrent or something? Google search didn't bring much up, just wanted clarification...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFreeTheSoul
The wonderer.
Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: occollegeboi] * 1
    #21476388 - 03/29/15 08:57 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Having fun and being a good person is illegal, its a fucking miracle I'm not locked up for it yet.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: FreeTheSoul]
    #21476438 - 03/29/15 09:06 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Have you ever heard of copyright?

Srsly? Is this a real question? If you have to pay for it and you don't, it's theft. :facepalm:

OfflineAdolin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: Uzziel]
    #21476466 - 03/29/15 09:12 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
If you have to pay for it and you don't, it's theft.

thats pretty much how the law sees it

but in reality what OP is talking about isn't theft, in any way, shape or form. you aren't taking something from someone, someone is just giving you a copy of something that they own and still exists after its been copied.

you arent stealing anything by downloading for free with torrents or whatever, someone is giving you a copy of their data

not theft

Edited by Adolin (03/29/15 09:14 PM)

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: Adolin] * 1
    #21476502 - 03/29/15 09:18 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Wrong. It's theft. You're taking someones hard work for free.

So yes, he is stealing from the producer of the app.

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: Adolin]
    #21476514 - 03/29/15 09:21 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Gotta love the fact that a forum that has many non convicted felons make complaints about someone stealing an app. :lol:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

OfflineAdolin

Folding@home Statistics
    #21476528 - 03/29/15 09:25 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:

how is he taking it? when someone torrents something, do the creators of that data lose it? no, they do not.

im not saying you aren't taking potential revenue from the creators, but it certainly isn't theft or thievery. it deserves a different distinction, and definitely deserves less punishment than actual theft

Edited by Adolin (03/29/15 09:25 PM)

Offlineedos
Male

Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: occollegeboi]
    #21476567 - 03/29/15 09:33 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

possibly, but it might just be illegal to be the one doing the cracking, I really have no clue though

regardless of its legal status, its not very safe to fuck around with cracked applications...try to find an open source alternative if there is one if you aren't willing to purchase it, or at least install it in a virtual machine for a layer of security

OfflineAdolin

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: edos]
    #21476579 - 03/29/15 09:37 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

edos said:

regardless of its legal status, its not very safe to fuck around with cracked applications...try to find an open source alternative if there is one if you aren't willing to purchase it, or at least install it in a virtual machine for a layer of security

yeah, most types of software that people use on a regular basis have open source versions available for free

the only things i ever really need a crack for are PC games

everything else i torrent are movies and tv shows that i otherwise wouldn't have bothered watching or paying for

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#21476599 - 03/29/15 09:41 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Gresh said:
Quote:

Uzziel said:

how is he taking it? when someone torrents something, do the creators of that data lose it? no, they do not.

im not saying you aren't taking potential revenue from the creators, but it certainly isn't theft or thievery. it deserves a different distinction, and definitely deserves less punishment than actual theft

If you think downloading applications and software that can easily total in thousands of dollars for free isn't theft then there is no helping you. It is theft, if you take something that you do not own with copyright on it, its theft by the very definition. You know those $60 games you download and don't pay for? Yeah, you stole it. It's no different from walking into the store and stealing the disc.

:ooo:

OfflineAdolin

Folding@home Statistics
    #21476639 - 03/29/15 09:52 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
Quote:

Uzziel said:

It's no different from walking into the store and stealing the disc.

its actually pretty different.

walking into a store and sticking it up takes alot more effort, and actually involves stealing a physical item

that store will have to pay actual money, or their insurence company will, to replace that item.

they're totally different crimes.

Edited by Adolin (03/29/15 09:53 PM)

Offlinegrinsmiley
Friend of a Friend
Male

Loc: Fourth Star in the Sky
    #21476640 - 03/29/15 09:52 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
Quote:

Gresh said:
Quote:

Uzziel said:

If you think downloading applications and software that can easily total in thousands of dollars for free isn't theft then there is no helping you. It is theft, if you take something that you do not own with copyright on it, its theft by the very definition. You know those $60 games you download and don't pay for? Yeah, you stole it. It's no different from walking into the store and stealing the disc.

:ooo:

Yep, in most countries it is very illegal.  :alert:

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
    #21476734 - 03/29/15 10:14 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
I know it seems like a simple question, but is installing cracked apps in and of itself illegal? Is having a cracked app illegal? Or is it only illegal to CRACK an app and upload it somehow like via torrent or something? Google search didn't bring much up, just wanted clarification...

In this day and age asking that question could get you charged with intent to commit piracy.

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

OfflineAdolin

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: Shiithead]
    #21476742 - 03/29/15 10:16 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Shiithead said:
Quote:

occollegeboi said:

In this day and age asking that question could get you charged with intent to commit piracy.

maybe in north korea

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
    #21476760 - 03/29/15 10:21 PM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Gresh said:
Quote:

Shiithead said:
Quote:

occollegeboi said:

maybe in north korea

No dude. America. North Korea doesn't even have an open internet/google.

They use koogle or some dumb shit haha

At anyrate, if you even joke around about something serious you will be taken in the middle of the night. Or at the very least have your door kicked in and arrested. And you better hope the latter happens because some people never even go to court. They are locked up in a military prison or black-site and tortured.

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Offlinepropensity
۞̷ ̶۞̷ ̶

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bedrock America
Re: Is installing cracked apps illegal? [Re: Shiithead]
    #21477270 - 03/30/15 02:08 AM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Shiithead said:
Quote:

Gresh said:
Quote:

Shiithead said:
Quote:

occollegeboi said:

maybe in north korea

No dude. America. North Korea doesn't even have an open internet/google.

They use koogle or some dumb shit haha

At anyrate, if you even joke around about something serious you will be taken in the middle of the night. Or at the very least have your door kicked in and arrested. And you better hope the latter happens because some people never even go to court. They are locked up in a military prison or black-site and tortured.

:somagnificent:

--------------------

۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢ www.cactophage.com ۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢
̸ۨ͜۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟Dolphins of Dank۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
    #21477435 - 03/30/15 04:45 AM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:

FUCK THAT NOISE

JAILBREAK
CUSTOMFIRMWARE
MODDING COMMUNITY FTW

Edited by Beanhead (03/30/15 04:45 AM)

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
    #21477455 - 03/30/15 04:58 AM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:

So yes, he is stealing from the producer of the app.

What if I installed an OS on the system and made my own apps

toplel

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates