Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemisiu007
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

Myco or Mono Tub
    #21465220 - 03/27/15 12:07 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Hi all,

Ive been reading here for awhile, but feel like a noob when it comes to mycology, so wanted to know if you all could give me some advice on my near future first time bulk grow.  FWIW, I had pretty good success using cakes in hydro FC a couple of years ago, which got me a pretty typical cake yield and some very potent ban hua thanons.

This time around, I decided to step it up and ordered a myco bag kit from one of the sponsors, to be precise THIS B+ set.  So I have 6 lbs of organic rye berries in 6 1lb mycobags, waiting on my spores to inoculate.  In about a month ill receive 15lbs of compost ( dehydrated horse manure, exotic zoo manure, organic coconut coir, vermiculite, and gypsum) and 5 lbs of casing. 

The kit has everything needed to grow in the bags themselves, but after poking around a little, it seems to me that growing these in a mono tub or two could give me better yields, not to mention less maintenance (no daily watering or fanning).  Would you advise if that would be a good step to take, or should I just stick to the kit instructions and grow these in the bags?  Im once again growing ban hua thanons since I loved the ones that came off of cakes a couple of years ago.  Is it likely I could have better yields growing these in mono tubs, or is it not worth the hassle?

Also, would there be any differences in how to deal with the casing, substrate or any other part of the process?

Thanks in advance, once I get this project going, ill post a journal with pics and document the whole thing.

Cheers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePantsR4squares
Adventurer
Male User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Myco or Mono Tub [Re: misiu007]
    #21465259 - 03/27/15 12:18 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

It depends on how comfortable you feel. You said you have grown low scale before, but it was a couple years ago. If your weary, I would personally play it safe and do most of the bags as intended by instruction. You could take just one of the fully colonized bags and create a 66qt mono tub. That way you will come out mostly successfully even if the tub fails, you lose just one bag. If you feel pretty knowledgable in the basics, as it sounds you might be, jump straight to all or majority mono's!

Edited by PantsR4squares (03/27/15 12:20 PM)

OfflineStraya
Wot?!

Loc: Flag
Re: Myco or Mono Tub [Re: PantsR4squares]
    #21465308 - 03/27/15 12:26 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

You seen Let's grow mushrooms mate?

There's a few good teks on here if you check out the search function

Spitballs Monotub tek

Spitball has a fair few great teks that may help you bro

Offlinemisiu007
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

Re: Myco or Mono Tub [Re: Straya]
    #21465362 - 03/27/15 12:33 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks guys, ill checkout spitballs mono tek.  I think I feel comfortable in most of the basics, but have no experience in bulk grows, and don't want to miss an opportunity to study those this summer.  For example, is 1lb. bag of colonized grain enough to use on a 66 qrt tub?  I think using both methods would be the safest route to go, so im gonna lean that way.  Will probably learn the most this way too.  any input as to potential yield for both methods?

thanks again

OfflineStraya
Wot?!

#21465595 - 03/27/15 01:22 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Yeah you can transfer like 1/10 of your bag into an uncolonised bag and that will then colonise and so on. Just unsure of how much is required for a monotub. I've read it before on here i think t's maybe 2 quarts of spawn to a mono that size so yours should easily make it IMO but yeah check in the search function and keep an eye out for peoples signatures they usually have informative links in them

OfflineStraya
Wot?!

#21465598 - 03/27/15 01:23 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Offlinemisiu007
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

#21465823 - 03/27/15 02:32 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks for that link.  It does show the materials needed for substrate needed for a 66 qt tub, but im more interested in the amount of colonized spawn needed for that size of the tub.  My assumption that it would take more than one 1 lb bag, probably 3 or 4 for that size of the tub.  I realize the answers are out there, and im gonna keep digging but wanted to get a direct answer from someone experienced growing using both methods.  Also as to yields expected using each method.

And yes, I did watch RRs Lets Grow Shrooms, I think it was the very first thing I ever learned about studying mushrooms.

Thanks for your help

OfflinePantsR4squares
Adventurer
Male User Gallery

#21465904 - 03/27/15 02:59 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

misiu007 said:
Thanks for that link.  It does show the materials needed for substrate needed for a 66 qt tub, but im more interested in the amount of colonized spawn needed for that size of the tub.  My assumption that it would take more than one 1 lb bag, probably 3 or 4 for that size of the tub.  I realize the answers are out there, and im gonna keep digging but wanted to get a direct answer from someone experienced growing using both methods.  Also as to yields expected using each method.

And yes, I did watch RRs Lets Grow Shrooms, I think it was the very first thing I ever learned about studying mushrooms.

Thanks for your help

The amount of spawn I recommend for the best harmony between nutrients for fruits and colonization time. Is 4-5 quarts of spawn. 1-2 quarts less if using RGS. Put in a small layer of substrate on the bottom of your tub, put in all your spawn then fill the rest up with substrate. You should have it about 4 inches in height all mixed together. This should be near exact with the bottom holes of your tub.

InvisibleT-Funkadelic
Hepatitis G
Other User Gallery

Loc: 2535 W Fairmont Ave MD 21223 Flag
    #21465937 - 03/27/15 03:08 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

--------------------

Offlinemisiu007
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

#21466021 - 03/27/15 03:31 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

PantsR4squares said:
Quote:

misiu007 said:

Thanks for your help

The amount of spawn I recommend for the best harmony between nutrients for fruits and colonization time. Is 4-5 quarts of spawn. 1-2 quarts less if using RGS. Put in a small layer of substrate on the bottom of your tub, put in all your spawn then fill the rest up with substrate. You should have it about 4 inches in height all mixed together. This should be near exact with the bottom holes of your tub.

Excellent, exactly the information I was looking for.  Just to be clear, RGS spawn and substrate will need to be mixed together thoroughly, or should they be layered (and left layered) the way you explained in your post?  Im trying to follow the mycobag instructions, which has you mixing fully colonized RGS spawn with substrate, giving it 7-10 days and than a thin layer of casing.  I just want to induce fruiting in a mono tub, instead of the mycobag.

OfflinePantsR4squares
Adventurer
Male User Gallery

#21466071 - 03/27/15 03:46 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

misiu007 said:
Quote:

PantsR4squares said:
Quote:

misiu007 said:

Thanks for your help

Excellent, exactly the information I was looking for.  Just to be clear, RGS spawn and substrate will need to be mixed together thoroughly, or should they be layered (and left layered) the way you explained in your post?  Im trying to follow the mycobag instructions, which has you mixing fully colonized RGS spawn with substrate, giving it 7-10 days and than a thin layer of casing.  I just want to induce fruiting in a mono tub, instead of the mycobag.

Either works, I like to mix together thoroughly so I know every area in my tub has an equal amount of spawn to colonize evenly. Layering is preferred if one is trying to keep the myc undamaged ( less moving the less networks broken ) Just stick to mixing it. I never have used a casing layer and have had many successFUL canopies! Make sure to follow a reputable monotub tek and to use a black garbage bag liner, trimmmed onced filled and leveled.

Offlinemisiu007
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

#21466105 - 03/27/15 03:54 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

PantsR4squares said:
Quote:

misiu007 said:
Quote:

PantsR4squares said:
Quote:

misiu007 said:

Thanks for your help

Either works, I like to mix together thoroughly so I know every area in my tub has an equal amount of spawn to colonize evenly. Layering is preferred if one is trying to keep the myc undamaged ( less moving the less networks broken ) Just stick to mixing it. I never have used a casing layer and have had many successFUL canopies! Make sure to follow a reputable monotub tek and to use a black garbage bag liner, trimmmed onced filled and leveled.

Got it, that's to avoid side pinning, right?  Do you disinfect your tub after all the work is done?  Does regular Lysol work?  Trying to rep you, but need 50 posts to do that.  thanks again

Offlinemisiu007
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

#21496452 - 04/03/15 01:19 PM (9 years, 15 days ago)

Knocked the mycobags 4 days ago and so far, no sign of any mycelium nor contamination.  Getting little worried.  If I see no growth, in lets say next week, would lack of mycelium and contamination point to the syringe being blank?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate