Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineCLIT
Stranger
Re: why the genre "alternative" was called alternative? [Re: Brian Jones]
    #21414700 - 03/16/15 06:27 AM (9 years, 15 days ago)

Not sure if I recall if Limp Bizkit did it which is why they got huge.

For one thing; video shows and radios need videos and music so I don't quite get why they would charge anyone to get played. It makes no sense. Without the music those 2 outlets couldn't exist, so I'm trying to figure out how bands get played on radio and TV. Seems as if a certain few get lucky. I think there is one central outlet that determines which songs get played, I think Clear Channel owns the majority of radio stations in the U.S. so they have the say.

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
Pay to play is in most situations illegal on the radio. But it happens. I don't think the laws apply to TV videos.

There was a huge scandal over "payola" in the 50's. There's a couple movies about it and a lot of songs. Recently the satellite radio stations got caught doing it and received big fines.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: why the genre "alternative" was called alternative? [Re: CLIT]
    #21414762 - 03/16/15 07:13 AM (9 years, 15 days ago)

Yes, Clear Channel and 3 others combined  paid over 12 million in fines in 2007 to settle a case.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
Re: why the genre "alternative" was called alternative? [Re: Brian Jones]
    #21418985 - 03/17/15 02:15 AM (9 years, 15 days ago)

who are the 3 others if you know? I think clear channel owns only about 60 percent of the market, could be more than that so I'm guessing the rest are owned by other entities.

InvisibleSoupSandwich
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lost
    #21419094 - 03/17/15 03:33 AM (9 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

"How Come One Company Owns All The Radio Stations?"

A Simple Explanation To What Happened To Local Radio Ownership

I'm sure that thought has probably popped into your head at some point over the past few years. Well, actually, it's more like one company owns a LOT of the Radio Stations. Contrary to what you might think, Clear Channel doesn't own them all (only about 1200 or so). There are other companies (not as big) which own stations, too, like: Cumulus, Infinity, Jefferson Pilot, Susquehanna, etc. But, sometimes it FEELS like "one guy" owns them all.

Well, here's how we got to where we are. Last century, in 1996, Congress passed the "Telecommunications Act of 1996", which covered a lot of changes to cable, TV, telephone service, satellite and terrestrial Radio. Actually, only a small part of the law dealt with Radio but here's what changed everything:

Title II, Sec. 202 (a) modified the previous law, now allowing any company to own as many total Radio stations as it wanted. In effect, the Congress shouted, "FOOD FIGHT", created a buying frenzy and trashed "any provisions limiting the number of AM or FM broadcast stations which may be owned or controlled by one entity nationally." "WHOO HOO!", shouted Corporate America, sounding just like Homer Simpson discovering pie in the fridge.

Next, in Sec. 202 (b)(1), the law laid out what percentage of Radio stations in each "market" one company could own.

For instance, if your city had 45 or more commercial Radio stations, one company could "own, operate, or control" up to 8 of them, but not more than 5 of which were in the same "service" as in AM or FM.

In places where there were between 30 and 44 stations, one guy could grab up to 7 stations, but no more than 4 AM or FMs.

If you lived where there were between 15 and 29, the same guy could buy up to 6, but again, not more than 4 in the same service, AM or FM.

And finally, if you lived in Waddlesbeek, Idaho, and there were 14 or fewer stations, Mr. Big Shot could control up to 5, but not more than 3 in the same service. Oh, but just to make sure things didn't get out of hand, the law stated that in a place the size of Waddlesbeek, no company could own more than say, 50% of the stations.

So, if Waddlesbeek had 6 stations serving its wonderfully backward rural needs, some guy from L.A. could come in and buy 3 of them, dump the Saturday morning "Swap Shop", pretty much trash the Public Service Announcements for the PTA and Lion's Club and either automate the joint or feed music programming via satellite from a studio in Burbank.

And this, kids, is how the F.C.C, Congress and probably a handful of lobbyists decided Radio stations should "serve the public interest, convenience, and necessity."

There is some good news: if you're tired of corporate Radio, even YOU can still own your own Internet Radio Station and neither Congress, the F.C.C., or any one company can control how you run it or what you play on it.
- Corey Deitz

I read somewhere there was this thing titled The Summer of Love where the major companies got together and basically consolidated all the littler channels and decided who owned what.I guess that's what this article is talking about. :shrug:

Support Freeform Radio.

Wow, what the hell man? There used to be this site with all the online radio stations listed for every city, and you could listen live, for free. Now all I see are crappy 'online radio stations' not radio stations, online. If that makes any sense. :mad2: Will post back or edit when/if I find it again...

EDIT: Here it is: RADIO_LOCATOR
You can also look up international radio stations, which can be a fun change...listening to 'alternative' German pop or 'alternative' music from Indonesia or India. Alternative Dublin, Switzerland or Australian music. Triple J! The RADIO_LOCATOR is pretty weak in this department and you're better off finding the freeform radio statios through another site, or the website of the radio station in question.

Edited by SoupSandwich (03/17/15 05:06 AM)

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

#21419209 - 03/17/15 04:58 AM (9 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

CLIT said:
who are the 3 others if you know? I think clear channel owns only about 60 percent of the market, could be more than that so I'm guessing the rest are owned by other entities.

CBS Radio, Citadel and Entercom.

--------------------

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
    #21463914 - 03/27/15 01:11 AM (9 years, 5 days ago)

Isn't the KROQ radio station in California the determining factor what song gets steady rotation all over the U.S.? I think I heard this from the interview with No Doubt. I think this is where Goo Goo Dolls first hit "Name" got played first by some DJ there and that's when that song picked up and the band went to superstar dome.

Not sure how this station is doing now.

Edited by CLIT (03/27/15 01:12 AM)

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

#21464165 - 03/27/15 05:08 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

They have been part of CBS Radio since the 90's. Apparently they were hugely influential, breaking out No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Offspring, Sublime, and priding themselves on being the first to play anybody who is new and good.

They seem to have more of a California image, but they were big on playing The Ramones when they were still a NYC bar band.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom