Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release
    #21433023 - 03/19/15 07:27 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

http://www.medicaldaily.com/cough-medicine-diabetes-treatment-dextromethorphan-found-increase-insulin-release-326352

Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release

An ingredient found in cough medicine may assist in treating diabetes, according to a new study out of the Heinrich Heine University in Düsseldorf, Germany.

According to the study, published in the journal Nature Medicine, dextromethorphan, often listed simply as “DM” on the labels of cold medications, boosted the release of insulin in mice, human pancreatic tissue samples, and then in a small group of diabetes patients. DM has far fewer side effects than most current type 2 diabetes drugs, which is what prompted the doctors to believe it may be a new potential treatment option.

Type 2 diabetes is characterized by very high levels of blood sugar, or glucose, which the cells require to live. But people with type 2 diabetes don’t produce enough insulin (which comes from the pancreas and moves glucose out of the blood and into the cells where it’s needed). As a result, blood sugar remains high, unable to move to the cells.

The authors of the study interestingly did not plan on studying dextromethorphan as a potential treatment for diabetes initially; instead, they fell into it by chance. Inspired by previous research, the authors were originally focusing on a disorder called hyperinsulism, which is essentially the opposite of diabetes in that it involves a person having too much insulin. They hypothesized that dextromethorphan would actually lower and suppress insulin release in patients with hyperinsulinism.

But while studying it, they discovered that a certain compound that’s released as a byproduct of DM, dextrorphan, actually increased insulin release from a patient’s pancreas — thus making it potentially useful in treating type 2 diabetes.

The researchers aren’t entirely sure how it works; however, they assume it has something to do with suppressing the NMDA receptors, or N-Methyl-D-Aspartate receptors. When a sick person takes coughing medicine, it suppresses these receptors, which are located in the medulla oblongata — a part of the brainstem above the spinal cord. Somehow, suppressing NMDA receptors also increases insulin release in the pancreas.

If you have diabetes, the last thing you should do is use cough medication to treat your disease. The authors note that not enough is yet known about DM’s effects on diabetes patients, because the study was very small.

“To date, we only have results from a single-dose clinical trial, which make us optimistic; but [this is] not sufficient to evaluate the clinical benefits of this drug for the long-term treatment of people with diabetes,” Eckhard Lammert, a professor of animal physiology at the Heinrich Heine University and an author of the study, told LiveScience. “My hope is that our study triggers further clinical trials at established diabetes centers.”

Source: Marquard J, Otter S, Welters A, Stirban A, Fischer A, Eglinger J. “Characterization of pancreatic NMDA receptors as possible drug targets for diabetes treatment.” Nature Medicine, 2015.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: motaman]
    #21433316 - 03/19/15 08:30 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

To those who don't know. DM, DXM, Dextromethorphan, or whatever you want to call it is something special with "magical" properties. I did not not about this effect on insulin release, but did you know that if you abuse DM by taking anywhere from 300 to 1,500mg (but no more as it is likely dangerous),  you will probably trip "balls?" DM is a dissociative (numbing agent to suppress coughs) in small doses but, like ketamine, becomes psychedelic in higher doses.

I personally had my first "out of body experience," which I suspect was an NDE (near death experience) on DM. That dose was 900mg.

It is safest not to try this if there are any other active ingredients listed on the label other than destromethorphan itself. So, no acetomenophan, guaifenisen, etc...also, if you're taking any medication that you're not sure might be an MAOI (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor), DON'T TRY THIS!!! (MAOI's might mix with DMT to make ayahuasca but NOT DXM!!!) There have been reported cases of serotonin syndrome and other problems with this mixture.

Sorry motaman if you feel like this isn't relevant, but I saw this as an opportunity to put this info out there.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

OfflineKingKnowledge
Around
Male

Loc: East Coast
Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #21433485 - 03/19/15 09:08 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

If anybody is interested, there are biopharmaceutical companies that are currently testing DXM's therapeutic effect on Alzheimer's, Schizophrenia, Autism, and Depression.

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: KingKnowledge]
    #21434237 - 03/20/15 12:37 AM (9 years, 30 days ago)

there are DXM powders for sale as is. I would think that's safer than those with other shit in it.

Offlineanarchyfan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: motaman]
    #21435631 - 03/20/15 12:32 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

This is very interesting.  I wonder if it's the dissociation that triggers the release, or if it is a chemical response.

Invisiblevandago
 User Gallery

Loc: .
Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: anarchyfan]
    #21437041 - 03/20/15 06:57 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

I've always wanted to try powdered DXM properly without having the bottle of syrup in my gut.  I miss the stuff but my body can't handle that ooze or those cough caps.

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: vandago]
    #21437320 - 03/20/15 08:06 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

It's a lot more tolerable physically of course, and when I'm on dissasociatives or psych's feeling sick fucks with my mood so it's just more pleasant all around, plus easy to extract if you don't want to order it.

Wasn't there a member on this site that was addicted to DXM and ended up on Intervention a while back? :lol:

--------------------

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: vandago]
    #21438280 - 03/21/15 02:36 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

How is DXM really like? I have never tried it, EVER!

Quote:

vandago said:
I've always wanted to try powdered DXM properly without having the bottle of syrup in my gut.  I miss the stuff but my body can't handle that ooze or those cough caps.

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: CLIT]
    #21439206 - 03/21/15 11:52 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

I have also never tried the pure pulverized extract but I'm on the search for a good online vendor and a good tek. I've only tried it in syrup (as much as one bottle or 300 mg - a low dose "Robo-trip") and in liqui-gel capsule form (as much as 1500 mg which a is high to heroic dose). Many people feel an increase of blood pressure toward the top of the body at the beginning of the trip. There is paradoxically enhanced sensationalism or sensual appreciation, appreciation of color, feeling, and the arts, extacy-esque empathy and lowering of defensive psycho-mechanisms, perceptual distortions and so-on in what you might call the 1st phase (check out Timothy Leary's 5 phases of the psychedelic experience based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead). From there, I suppose it goes in some varying directions, with synesthesia, out-of-body experiences, closed-eye visuals (end of phase II) open-eye visuals (beginning end of phase III and IV), and incapacitation (for me this happens already in phase II at around 500 mg with DXM) being results. what is seen and felt in phase V could hardly been conceived of as "visuals" but a state of disembodiment and merging totally with wherever and whatever your experience is about. You're pretty much no longer you at stage V.

Like anything else, it can be used responsibly and with respect, or recklessly. I think it can even be used effectively as a spiritual tool, in as far as LSD or maybe even the natural psychedelics. However you look at it. There's certainly a lot of untapped potential with the drug.

There's a ton of info on DXM and many more psychoactive plants and drugs in the Vaults of Erowid: https://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/psychoactives.shtml.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

Edited by dwnlw2slw (03/21/15 12:28 PM)

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #21447772 - 03/23/15 03:44 PM (9 years, 26 days ago)

This article brought the dexers out of the woodwork.

At one time I loved DXM, its one of the most underrated psychedelics out there.  I had to quit using it for the sake of my sanity.

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: lowbrow]
    #21451401 - 03/24/15 02:11 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Hehe I was afraid chugging all that sugary cough syrup as a teen would give me diabetes. Guess theres no need to worry huh.

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Cough Medicine As Diabetes Treatment? Dextromethorphan Found To Increase Insulin Release [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #21452733 - 03/24/15 07:18 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

lowbrow said:
  I had to quit using it for the sake of my sanity.

Yes, underrated and seen as "something you do when you're a teen," which may be the case, but of course it doesn't have to be only that...So, you had to quit for the sake of your sanity? Oh please do tell more details!
Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Hehe I was afraid chugging all that sugary cough syrup as a teen would give me diabetes. Guess theres no need to worry huh.

Hmmm,well I know zilch about causes of diabetes, but there's no way that both the syrup and the liquigel capsules can be particularly good for the liver...however, there should be nothing to worry about as long as there is adequate healing time between doses. I once did about 60 capsules and then again 7 days later, which was only once. Other times, there was at least 1 month between doses.

Still though, there's no need to put your body even through this potential risk when the extraction tek's are out there and fairly simple. As far as online vendors, my frustration with my inability to find one that works is building HINT HIINNNTTTTT. (The thing is that I don't want to take any chances with one that doesn't deliver, doesn't mask IP's, normal stuff like that)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals