Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male User Gallery

My first gaming PC build
    #21443744 - 03/22/15 04:43 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

I've never built a PC before so I'm pretty excited/nervous. I'm going for a top of the line machine that can run 1440p. I was going to get a gtx 980 and benq gsync 1080p monitor, but I dont want to build a new top of the line system around 1080p. I was hoping you guys could give me some tips on what to avoid\do. I've watched numerous videos and have been researching for months. Here's the build, please let me know what you think.

Corsair 750d case
i7 4790k processor
EVGA aftermarket CPU fan
Gigabyte z97 Gaming 3 motherboard
16 GB's G.Skill Rip jaws DDR3 Ram
EVGA Titan X Superclocked graphics card
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
EVGA Supernova G2 750w power supply
Asus ROG Swift 1440p 144 hz monitor
cold cathode blue lighting
cooler master jetflo blue led exhaust fan

I've got the money ready to buy these parts off Newegg. I'm just waiting for the EVGA Titan X SC to come back in stock. Please leave your experience with your first build. What troubles did you run into?

I should also note that I don't want to sli or else I might consider dual 980's.

Edited by Magicman69 (03/22/15 06:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: My first gaming PC build [Re: Magicman69]
    #21444078 - 03/22/15 06:14 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Skip the EVGA CPU fan, it's just a rebranded Coolermaster? I think. Sucks. Nothing special about it.
Get a Corsair H80i or similar IMO

You won't need SLI with a Titan X.. heh.

Other than that looks pretty solid. I would suggest going with a Western Digital Black for the HDD.

You might want a second monitor also.. I know I personally can't live without at least two monitors..
I might also suggest getting 32GB of RAM for some future proofing headroom if you can afford it.. if you are going for top of the line..

--------------------

InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male User Gallery

Re: My first gaming PC build [Re: Shroomism]
    #21444129 - 03/22/15 06:24 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

I just want one monitor. Want to get the max fps possible at 1440p for competitive gaming. Even with one Asus ROG it will be near impossible to get the whole 144HZ worth.

Since I don't feel comfortable installing a radiator, which after market cpu fan would you recommend? I doubt I'll over clock my CPU because it already boosts to 4.4 GHZ. Since I won't be overclocking, would you still recommend water cooling?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21444180 - 03/22/15 06:36 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Why are you getting a K processor if you don't plan on overclocking then? Just get an i7 4790 and call it a day.
I'd still get the K, in case you ever DO want to overclock in the future.. it's not that much more.
Watercooling would still help to keep temps lower than air, and lower temps = longer processor life. So yes I would still recommend it.
The Corsair AIO water coolers are stupid easy to install. Everything is all in one and self-contained, you attach the heatsink, screw in four screws to attach the radiator, pop the fan on, plug everything in.. done.
If you absolutely don't want to go with water cooling for the CPU, I haven't been keeping up with the best air coolers lately, but last I checked the Megahelems were the top dogs. Or Thermalright Silverarrow SB-E, Noctua NH-D15, or Phantek PH-TC14PE

A second monitor isn't going to diminish your gaming performance at all. You can't play across 2 monitors anyway, it's more for multitasking. The game would only play on a single monitor and you can have whatever on the 2nd. You need 3 identical monitors to do 3D surround, where it's spanned across all 3 monitors. Which the Titan X could still handle with ease.

That's just my personal preference.. I can't stand a single monitor. The same with most PC gamers I know.
It doesn't have to be a 144hz monitor either.. you could just get a regular monitor.. although if you did that I would try to get one at the same size for aesthetic reasons. But some people don't care if they have different size monitors.

--------------------

InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male User Gallery

#21444203 - 03/22/15 06:42 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up with the monitors.

I guess your right about the water cooling. If I'm going to build a top notch PC I might as well do it right. Plus the h100 looks badass. Well, looks like I have some research to do watching videos on how to install. I watched one and the guy put two fans on one side of the radiator and two on the other. He called it a push pull or something. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help. I'll let y'all know how it goes and post a picture when it's all finished.  :smile:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21444227 - 03/22/15 06:48 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

H100i is very good too. It just has a bigger radiator.. so you would have to install that on the top exhaust of your case instead of the back exhaust. And yeah push pull is when you have fans on the top pulling the air out, and fans on the bottom pushing the air out.. both pushing the air in the same direction. But it's probably overkill for your setup. The 4790 runs pretty cool to begin with, and a push/pull configuration doesn't really make a huge difference, maybe 1-2 degrees. You could just do a push configuration with the fans on the bottom pushing the air up. Also depends on the layout of the case, a push/pull would take up more room inside the case and could cause clearance issues possibly. I haven't done a push/pull on the 750d so I'm not sure.

But yeah, they are pretty easy to install. Hell, I've had an easier time installing the Corsair water coolers than some air coolers I've run across.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #21444482 - 03/22/15 07:54 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

That board is starting to look questionable now that we're going with the K processor and the h100i, get a respectable board for the OC, maybe an asus maximus vii or asus z97-pro.... don't forget aftermarket fans for the h100i, you'll want 4 of the same fan (don't even fuck with the stock ones imho)

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first gaming PC build [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #21444560 - 03/22/15 08:12 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Ah true I wasn't even thinking about the mobo in regards to overclocking.. I agree with the Asus suggestion, and the fans.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #21445078 - 03/22/15 10:14 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

I got a 970gtx twin frozr that runs hot at 49degree's C
3 SSD's with 810GB's total...(not good for re-writing large "files," maybe get an HDD for media/music)
i5 4th generation
8gb's ram
550watt gold certified power supply and a 5.1 mobo
probably around 1500$

but it's worth it, runs the games dev's want you to play
the draw distance may be a little meh or you're expecting more
but it's still pretty dope looking, I can't imagine a g sync  monitor with 1440p
but i'd imagine that'd be like going to the movies nowadays

I'd be satisfied if not for exclusives and my friends

somethings i fucked up were buying a case on sale so the front ports don't work
and the gpu screws aren't right

another thing I didn't know what CD came first it was definitely the OS tho lol

my p.c. looks like a elementry school science project through the glass

Edited by Konyap (03/22/15 10:18 PM)

OfflineKonyap

Re: My first gaming PC build [Re: Konyap]
    #21445104 - 03/22/15 10:21 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

my internet is pretty wack tho

working on that...

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#21445166 - 03/22/15 10:44 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Ah true I wasn't even thinking about the mobo in regards to overclocking.. I agree with the Asus suggestion, and the fans.

Aye, it's just such a sick rig in formation, why gimp it by what's comparatively chump change to the overall budget.

I'm jelly, def. lemme know what you think of the G-Sync monitor OP, I'm pretty invested in IPS displays, so I don't see myself getting one any time soon :/

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male User Gallery

#21451829 - 03/24/15 03:30 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Thanks for the motherboard suggestion. I'll definitely order one of the ones you mentioned. I actually just placed my order for the Titan X. I decided to order it straight from the NVIDIA website because it was sold out everywhere else and I'm inpatient. They're processing my order right now and doing their fraud check before the order is confirmed. Once I get the shipping confirmation I'll order my system components from Newegg.

I have a feeling it is going to take NVIDIA a fair amount of time to get my card in the mail due to their high volume of orders. Hopefully not too long. The entire system will cost just over 3,000. Not too bad considering the monitor and video card cost 2,000 by themselves. If I had a company like Cyberpower build an identical unit it would cost 3,750 and probably be assembled like shit. Their reputation sucks. A reputable company like Digital Storm would cost even more. DIY for the win.

Anyways, I'll keep you updated. This is my first build and I hope everything goes smooth, but I'm sure I'll hit a bump in the road and need some help along the way. I just hope I don't ruin all this hardware!

Edited by Magicman69 (03/24/15 07:28 PM)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#21454360 - 03/25/15 05:37 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Only other thing I can think of is to go fully modular with the power supply, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 is really nice for like $120...

As for building, just take your time and read the manuals, stop and watch video tutorials if need be, and don't be afraid to ask questions....  Shroomism and I can help for sure...  You'll be all right man :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first gaming PC build [Re: CosmicJoke] * 1
    #21454423 - 03/25/15 06:18 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Agreed on fully modular PSU.

And yeah watch a few tutorial videos. Putting together a PC is pretty damn easy (although I am saying that having built hundreds in my time for myself, clients and friends...)

Just make sure to read, take your time and ask any questions you might have in here.

I think one of the most important things, something I've seen a lot of newbies mess up... is bending pins in the CPU socket or accidentally dropping the CPU in it and bending pins. If you do that.. you'll have to RMA the motherboard and likely pay a damage fee for bent pins. The pins in the CPU socket on the motherboard are made of gold, very thin, and bend very easily, so don't mess with them, don't drop anything in them... etc.

When you are putting the CPU in the socket, go slow and be very careful. It only goes in one orientation, there's a little triangle (arrow) in one corner of the CPU, match that up with the symbol on the CPU socket on the motherboard. Make sure you unlatch the CPU socket latch first.. heh. Then firmly hold the CPU by the edges (don't want to touch the contacts on the bottom), and very carefully and gently, place it in the socket. There's also notches in the socket and the CPU... so if you have it in the wrong orientation.. it WONT seat down properly. Once it's in place and level, close the socket latch down.. it may take a little force to close and that's ok.. as long as you have the CPU in place properly.

Another thing is making sure you ground yourself before working with the components. It's very rare.. but if you discharge static when you touch something you could fry a component. I personally think a grounding cord is overkill.. but if you get one it definitely doesn't hurt. What I usually do is before working, just pull out the PSU, plug it into the electrical socket (don't have to turn it on), and just touch your finger to the metal. That will ground you and discharge any static electricity. And don't wear socks and rub your feet on carpet or something before working with it, heh.

Also make sure when you are putting it together (especially the motherboard) work on a non-conductive surface, like a wooden table, or a piece of cardboard or the cardboard box the motherboard came in.

Generally, the first thing you want to do is put the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, ground yourself.. mount the CPU in the socket in the mobo, and you can also install RAM, then you can mount the motherboard inside the case. Then once the mobo is mounted in the case, install the CPU cooler, put in the PSU and route all your cables. (Your corsair case has excellent cable management BEHIND the motherboard tray.. so make use of that to make a nice clean install). You can route ALL your PSU cable to the back of the motherboard tray through a hole, and then run them to where they need to go, coming out of other holes in the general area they are going to be plugged in. This makes for less mess inside the case, a cleaner looking install and better airflow in the case. Last thing you want is a huge mess of wires running through the case especially when you have a good corsair case and a modular PSU. Then install video card, hard drives, cd rom etc.

Looks kinda like this (few decent examples)
As you can see pretty much all the wires are running out of sight behind the motherboard tray, only coming out where they need to be plugged in. Corsair cases have excellent cable management.
This is before everything was all zip tied and tidied up (in the first two anyway, heh)

This INCLUDES the 8-pin CPU power connection. I see a lot of people running them straight from the PSU to the CPU connector, you can hide that one behind the motherboard tray too (as long the cable is long enough). If you look in the top left of the first two pics, you should see the cable coming out of the top left of the motherboard tray and plugging into near the CPU, there's a hole up there just for that.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#21455074 - 03/25/15 10:14 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Generally, the first thing you want to do is put the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, ground yourself.. mount the CPU in the socket in the mobo, and you can also install RAM, then you can mount the motherboard inside the case. Then once the mobo is mounted in the case, install the CPU cooler, put in the PSU and route all your cables. (Your corsair case has excellent cable management BEHIND the motherboard tray.. so make use of that to make a nice clean install). You can route ALL your PSU cable to the back of the motherboard tray through a hole, and then run them to where they need to go, coming out of other holes in the general area they are going to be plugged in. This makes for less mess inside the case, a cleaner looking install and better airflow in the case. Last thing you want is a huge mess of wires running through the case especially when you have a good corsair case and a modular PSU. Then install video card, hard drives, cd rom etc.

This... Aside from airflow, you're spending a fortune on this thing... If I were you, I'd want to show off one nice, clean rig... Your case should come with zip ties... When you route your cables through the back, you can use them to keep the cables nice and flush against the backtray.. The Corsair cases give you a considerable amount of room back there, but it's always best to do it right as it makes putting the side panel on that much easier.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#21456669 - 03/25/15 05:39 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

I built my p.c. and insert parts on an old card board box usually

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21457796 - 03/25/15 09:55 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

I'm in love with Corsair cases simply because of all the little tiny details they have.. like the little loops/hooks on the back of the mobo tray you can zip tie cables to that are all well placed... ample room behind the mobo tray for cables.. the standoffs all come pre-installed for ATX (I think?) and they have that one little plastic non-removable standoff in the middle to make it super easy to mount your mobo and hold it in place while you screw it down. The holes in the mobo tray are well placed and have rubber grommets (usually). The tool-less hard drive trays, the ability to relocate a hard drive rack to the bottom, or remove them both to install a radiator on the front.. multiple places for radiators and fans.. they are just a dream to work with.

I mean other cases have a lot of those features too.. but in my experience they usually have a couple features like that, but are lacking in other areas. Corsair cases are just very well rounded and well thought out and have all the features.. mainly the higher end ones like the 600T, 750D etc.. but they are just fucking awesome cases. I used to be a Coolermaster fanboy.. and I would say their cases are still very good.. but Corsair cases are my favorite now.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#21458025 - 03/25/15 10:53 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Yah, I'd really recommend their cases at all budgets, I have the 650D and a 200R, and have been exceptionally happy with both.  Even the 200R has the motherboard standoffs and the special center nub, it still has the same cable management, but they leave out the rubber grommets (you can make your own), it has the fasteners, yet obviously leaves out the latched side panels on the 650d, which is possibly one of the sweeeetest features I've ever seen on a case...

Plus, I'm not in my teens, I prefer a case that looks professional and a like a real piece of craftsmanship, gaming cases look tacky as fuck to me, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21458159 - 03/25/15 11:42 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Ya the Carbide series cases are pretty fucking sweet. Even though the lower end ones are missing the rubber grommets (not a big deal) or latches or whatever. The last build I did for someone was with the 500R and for $100 that thing is sweet as fuckballs, I don't think you can beat it at that price. Sure there are plenty of other cool case manufacturers like Lian Li (although they've dropped the ball in recent years IMO), Coolermaster, Thermaltake, NZXT etc etc.. I agree I generally like the aesthetics of the Corsair cases the most.. I don't like tacky looking cases.. and they just generally have all the features that a lot of cases skimp on in a lot of cases. Plus they are super well designed and well constructed.

--------------------

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #21458181 - 03/25/15 11:47 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Take lots of pics OP and post em.  I want to see this beast when its all done and running.

Corsair does make some nice cases thats for sure.  I was going to get one of theirs but the one I wanted put my PC just a hair past my budget and I wanted my 680 more.  Thankfully I at least still got a decent case that doesnt look all crazy and 'gamey' as cosmic put it.  I hate those kind of cases too.  They just looks so tacky to me for some reason.

I wish there was more places that did really nice materials like brushed staineless steel/alum and glass instead of plastic.  I've seen a few nice aluminum cases and some brushed stainless, but never the use of glass, and the stainless cases I've seen were usuallu ALL stainless and just didn't look, I dunno.. clean enough.?

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags