Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Loc: Man of the Moon
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Log- PF Tek [Re: NeutralPsilocybe]
    #21434442 - 03/20/15 02:30 AM (9 years, 30 days ago)

I'm glad you have 5 jars that are still looking positive. When it comes to the PF tek..,you really want to out all your eggs in one basket (your spores' genetics.). Other than that you really have to stick with the procedure RR gave us. Following his method to a near T I've only had 1/56 jars contaminate. I have used a pressure cooker for sterilization since my second grow.

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Check out my Retail Gourmet Mushroom Farm!

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeutralPsilocybe
Shroomerino
Male

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Re: Grow Log- PF Tek [Re: Mycologist217]
    #21439596 - 03/21/15 01:46 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Still no signs of contam on those jars, mycelium growth has started quite quickly on one of them. I see beginning signs of growth on another 2 or 3, but the sour smell is still there, so I'm not really expecting anything from them (no need to hope and get disappointed).

On the other hand, I am absolutely in love with the other 5 jars, hahah. Absolutely beautiful colonization, with rhizomorphic strands all over the place :grin:
Here are some pics!

Excitement is only growing (no pun intended, hahah) :laugh:
I hope everyone's having a fantastic Saturday! Think I'll try getting that lc started some time. Here's the jar I made with some silicone and tyvek.

I'm not too sure how to go about sterilizing the lid, since it has the tyvek on it. Would steaming/boiling it ruin the the tyvek's purpose (as in, does damp tyvek not allow for FAE)?
If so, I'm sure I can just apply the tyvek  in a SAB after sterilization.
The silicone isn't heat resistant, but I'll see how it goes (3m regular silicone sealant was the only thing available at my hardware store).
Happy Saturday everybody!

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21439725 - 03/21/15 02:18 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

You have to pressure cook liquid cultures and grain jars. Steaming without pressure is only good for the pf tek

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21439750 - 03/21/15 02:26 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

The high temp self healing silicon is available at any auto parts store...and just like the pf tek...they get covered with foil during sterilization

--------------------

OfflineNeutralPsilocybe
Shroomerino
Male

#21440730 - 03/21/15 07:19 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Mycologist217 said:
You have to pressure cook liquid cultures and grain jars. Steaming without pressure is only good for the pf tek

Well, I've found several well-regarded 'beginners' lc teks that don't include pressure cooking. And boiling works to sterilize a lot of things. I'll see how it goes.

OfflineNeutralPsilocybe
Shroomerino
Male

#21481506 - 03/30/15 10:41 PM (9 years, 19 days ago)

Update on how things are going:
I have built my TiT a few days ago, and temps are very steady at 80-81 degrees (I hear that going above 83 actually begins to stunt growth, due to the heat the myc produces, along with the nonconductive properties of glass raising the temp inside jars to 86+).

2 of my jars are at 100% colonization since yesterday, and another finished today. There seems to be an intense amount of condensation on the jars ever since I've placed the jars into the TiT, so that's been worrying me a bit. A little water is pooling at the bottom of some jars, but not at any non-cololonized parts, so I think it'll be fine. This is probably the worst of it:

I've flipped one of my colonized jars just to see how that goes, maybe it'll help the water disperse from the bottom (now top) and introduce a little oxygen for the last few days.

Here are a couple pics of some of the other jars-

Look at the rhizomorphic strands on this one!

Other than that, I'm just waiting on those couple jars to finish consolidating. From what I've read, waiting a full week is sort of unnecessary (especially seeing how quickly these have colonized), and that 3 days is generally good, so I'll most likely put together my SGFC on Wednesday, get a 6500k fluorescent light bulb and fixture, birth, dunk overnight, and roll the next day, then just wait for my first flush. I've got this friday off, so over the weekend I had overly optimistic thoughts of having fruits by then, but it doesn't look like that'll be happening. Guess I'll just wait until next week.
Great news about the other 4/5 sour smelling jars! I've just sort of left them on top of my drawer and forgotten about them. Today I remembered and went to see how they're doing. It's been exactly 2 weeks since inoculation, and myc growth is coming along very well (slower than the incubated jars, though, due to room temp being around 73ish). Pics pics pics!

I see no discolorations, and the smell has entirely disappeared! I'm guessing there was some bacterial growth and the myc just overcame it. I never cease to be amazed at what fungi can do. Absolutely fascinating kingdom, I've been looking into what they do, biologically, and there are some things that just blow my mind. Intensely complex, yet surprisingly simple organisms (for the most part). I tried making an LC on Friday, and there's been myc growth, but I don't have my hopes up for it being not contaminated. I'll try sterilizing a jar tomorrow and inoculating it on Wednesday to test it out. Fingers crossed! I used the last 1-2cc of my B+ spores, so this'll decide whether or not I'll need to drop another $15-20 on another syringe. Moar pics!

I ordered a pound of Gypsum along with my aquarium heater, as I've heard many great things about its effect of colonization times and fruit-size, so I'm thinking I'll buy another 12 jars some time this week and start another batch, or should I try going for a coir/verm bulk tek? My biggest problem with that is I have no pressure cooker, so grains are pretty much out of the question for the time being. I could order 5 pounds of presterilized rye berries from one of the vendors ($23 w/ shipping included, so isn't too bad), and use that that, however. Thoughts?
That's basically my entire plan/thoughts laid out. Thank you all for the tips!
Also, I need to get another tub that's the same size as the water-holding one in my TiT, as I strongly suspect the condensation in the jars is due to the fact that the container they're in is completely within the bottom tub, meaning quite a large increase in humidity. So that's something else to add onto my buy-list.
I hope everyone's having a beautiful start to their week!

Edited by NeutralPsilocybe (03/30/15 10:50 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags