Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibledeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #21214634 - 02/02/15 04:07 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Don't know about using it with everything, but I recently bought a jar of 'Patak's hot mixed pickle'. I'd run out of the curry powder that I normally use and that was all the local shop had.

A tablespoon added towards the end of cooking of whatever meat dish (haven't tried it in a veggy meal yet) your making. It was delicious.
Fried off a heaped teaspoonful of pickle to a nob of butter added some still warm strained rice, stirred. Beautiful.

I'm going to try frying off a spoonful of this pickle in butter to flavour either an omelette or scrambled eggs.

Patak's Pickle

Edited by deucedbi9 (02/02/15 04:10 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: deucedbi9]
    #21216229 - 02/02/15 01:54 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I like making rubs. They almost always consist of garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper. Anything else is a random luck of the draw

I'll use salt before as a dry brine, so my rubs don't need salt

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

InvisibleMrGiraffe

Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: ManianFH]
    #21219631 - 02/03/15 05:56 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Not a single spice, but a spice mixture I got out of a grilling book I received years ago.
'Magic Rub'
1tsp    Dry Mustard
1tsp    Granulated Garlic
1tsp    Paprika
1tsp    Kosher Salt
1/2tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2tsp Ground Coriander
1/2tsp Ground Cumin
1/2tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Sometimes I also add some dark brown sugar and occasionally some cayenne if I want to add a little heat.  Don't skip out on the ground coriander (this is about the only time I use it).  It really adds a little something extra to the mix.  If you use it on pork and it's the vacuum sealed package in salt solution skip the salt or it'll come out to salty.

--------------------

Invisiblecollie man
Jai guru deva om
Male User Gallery

Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #21232824 - 02/05/15 09:08 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Offlineallreadyused
The Liquor
Male

Loc: Trailer Park, Nova Scotia
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: collie man]
    #21303258 - 02/20/15 10:32 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Fresh cracked black pepper has become my favorite spice.  I never liked pepper until I tried one of those McCormick disposable grinders.  Opened a whole new world for me!  I have since upgraded to a real pepper mill and use it on just about everything.  As far as salt I have a sea salt grinder as opposed to table salt and I use kosher salt sometimes as well.  Although I'm slowly moving away from that too.  Not really a fan of prepared spice blends but I will admit to using Lowreys and those shakers of taco seasoning (not the envelopes).  The Montreal McCormick blends are pretty good too. Turmeric is a go to for me but only in things that have a long cooking time.  Nutmeg grosses me out primarily due to eating a shitload of it in high school get high.

--------------------
Everything I say is for entertainment.

Fuck the ASPCA

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Golden State
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: allreadyused]
    #21318844 - 02/23/15 05:05 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

First off, fresh spices and vegetables/fruits are completely superior to packaged/frozen when using them for seasoning.

My favorite combination, which is basic italian seasoning is: garlic, onion, olive, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.

You can substitute citric acid (aka sour salt) for regular salt to change things up :cheers:

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

AMU Teks :mushroom2: Stro's Write Ups

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Toadstool5]
    #21364482 - 03/05/15 02:42 AM (9 years, 26 days ago)

Salt & black pepper. They are used in goddamn near everything. Garlic would be second with oregano picking up the slack.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Golden State
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #21365247 - 03/05/15 09:37 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Salt & black pepper. They are used in goddamn near everything.

Salt, pepper, and melted butter.... The secret to a restaurants' success :thumbup:

They should just roll butter cubes in a salt and pepper mixture, throw it on the broiler for 10min, and then plate that with a nice side of carbs and veggies :rofl:

I love the people that eat at "healthy" restaurants. They have no idea how many cups of butter is on their plate of grilled tilapia with fresh mixed vegetables and pilaf along with 450-1500mg of salt!

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

AMU Teks :mushroom2: Stro's Write Ups

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Toadstool5]
    #21365725 - 03/05/15 11:40 AM (9 years, 25 days ago)

well, I'm not sure where you live or eat, but better restaurants know how to season properly and are more creative with using seasonings that don't need added salt. As for butter, yes it's good and all, but again, it's all in how you use it. Just throwing it in everything may satisfy most americans, but it gets boring, it's unhealthy and doesn't show much creativity or skill when you have to resort to using it with abandon. Also using good butter is key. If you ever get a chance to have real farmhouse freshly churned butter it's nothing like the land o lakes stuff most everyone is used to. Same thing with milk and eggs.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: soochi]
    #21366002 - 03/05/15 12:50 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

What are some proper uses of melted butter?

I am getting hungry and there is a ton of butter in my house, but I am not sure how to properly apply it.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #21405057 - 03/14/15 06:44 AM (9 years, 17 days ago)

Ras al hanout (the "prime" of spices, basically moroccans throw all leftover spice together and you get this beauty)
Commonly bought it is: Koriander/cilantro, Kurkuma, Fenugreek, Fennel, salt, mustard(seed/flour), cayenne/spanish pepper

But yeah black pepper is love, black pepper is life.

^Use that a lot too

For steaks, Rightclick image and save it on your computer.

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
What are some proper uses of melted butter?

I am getting hungry and there is a ton of butter in my house, but I am not sure how to properly apply it.

http://9gag.com/gag/a9LR4yo?sc=food

:laugh:

Edited by Beanhead (03/14/15 07:05 AM)

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: foodsgoodtoo]
    #21405522 - 03/14/15 09:39 AM (9 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

foodsgoodtoo said:
cayenne french fries
thai peppers sauces fish fruit about everything with black pepper
then crushed peppers

still trying to replace sauces with seasoning its not working:goodburger::wtfsonic:

Shoarma powder frites :3

0,5 tl. cayennepepper
0,5 tl. kurkuma
1,0 tl. gingerpowder
0,5 tl. cinnamon
1,0 tl. garlicpowder
1,0 tl. djintan
1,0 tl. ketoembar (ground coriander/seeds)
0,5 tl. nutmeg
1,0 tl. paprikapowder
1,0 tl. parsley, dried
1,0 tl. piment (aka "allspice")
1,0 tl. selderyleaves, dried
1,0 tl. salt
0,5 tl. black pepper
^tsp
Quote:

Aser said:
Quote:

foodsgoodtoo said:
still trying to replace sauces with seasoning its not working:goodburger::wtfsonic:

I honestly don't think that's possible. If it were, sauces wouldn't exist. You can be lazy and just use powdered spices and have your food taste really good, but if you want to take it to the next level, sauces can't be beat.

Mayonnaise is love, mayonnaise is life.

Once you have mayonnaise you can go further to cocktail :drooling:

Edited by Beanhead (03/14/15 10:06 AM)

Offlinech1ck3n.s0up
Troubled Loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hunting Fungi
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #21409256 - 03/14/15 10:39 PM (9 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Bojangles said:
I realized today that while I have a cabinet full of spices, I really only use black pepper and old bay for everything.  Granted if a recipe that I'm trying out calls for one out of the norm, I use it...but for everyday spice and seasoning, it's always those two.  Eggs, meat, vegetables...you name it.

I'm curious if anyone else has a favorite or staple spice and what foods you primarily put it on?  I'm looking to branch out a bit but I don't want to blindly be putting nasty combos together. 

It's gonna be hard topping the Bay though...

:derpyum:

Among the ground spice mixes, Old Bay is pretty good, I agree, but not the best in some styles of cooking.

Perhaps change up the way that you prepare foods to include things that aren't ground? For example:

- Marinade stuff. Soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, yogurt, etc. Look into other cultures (Indian, etc) for alternative preparations.
- Make soup. There you can drop in all sorts of interesting stuff, and create new flavors. Garlic, ginger, smoked ham hocks/turkey necks... you can get great flavors!
*** Honorable mention here is chiles: in my opinion, the best "spice" on earth. Toss a habanero in your pot, and let it simmer for a few hours. OMG delicious!
- Make roasts. Great thing about these is that they're relatively easy, and you get a lot of meat. Pork (butt) shoulder, a ham, chuck roast, rib roast, or my favorite: leg of lamb (to die for!). I usually end up slicing pieces off and pan-frying to get crispiness.
- Get interested in cooking. A fun meal for you to prepare would be "Old Bay Soup," where you use the ingredients in Old Bay--to create a soup! I just pulled my tin off my spice rack to look at the ingredients: celery seed, salt, paprika, pepper... a couple others. Perhaps make an Old Bay seafood chowder with these fresh ingredients?

Get interested in creating new and interesting flavors.

:heart: :chicken:

--------------------

"Inspiration ~ Move me brightly ~ light the song with sense and color ~ hold away despair ~ more than this I will not ask ~ faced with mysteries dark and vast ~ statements just seem vain at last" --Jerry Garcia, Terrapin Station

"Officer, I'm going to remain silent, and I would like to speak with a lawyer. I'm not resisting, but I don't consent to any searches.

Edited by ch1ck3n.s0up (03/14/15 10:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds