Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineweshroom
 User Gallery

Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods)
    #21313007 - 02/22/15 01:15 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

So,

I'd like to invest some money that I have saved up by buying a cabin in the woods. This investment will have significance beyond simply monetary factors (return on investment, initial investment i.e. good deal, etc.) although these also are important.

I am interested in buying a small cabin (or building if I the land alone pulls my heart strings). I don't have much experience building anything really so one that already has a cabin would be ideal.

Climate is a factor, I'm conditioned to warm weather and would probably prefer somewhere that doesn't have extreme winters.

Anyone have recommendations for a nice place to buy land/small cabin and live in relative isolation for periods of time?

Anyone here done something similar?

I have a relatively low budget and something ideal would be less than $15,000. However, I could broaden my search to something higher if it was a really what I am looking for.

Where would your cabin in the woods be located?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDottoreWolfe
Doctor Wolfe

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: weshroom]
    #21313091 - 02/22/15 01:36 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

There is only one area of the U.S. I would head towards if I was you, and that area is the emerald triangle (Humboldt, Mendocino and Trinity Counties are the 3 points making up said triangle). It is the most beautiful place (in my opinon) in the United States, Humboldt also grows the most cannabis per capita in the world, in Humboldt you can grow 99 plants legally (and pounds of really high caliber bud costs only $800). Humboldt is in an mountainus rural area which borders the ocean, it seems as though this is the place where all hippies headed after the late 60's and 70's, anywhere in North of chico is good to go including Mt. Shasta, Weed (the name of a city), Eureka, etc., but no place on earth is like the emerald triangle, land there is also dirt cheap.
Much love brother.

--------------------
Everything I post should be regarded as wholly fictitious or hypothetical, nothing I post has any basis in reality. These are simply my musings and abstracts - putting pen to paper so to speak.

Edited by DottoreWolfe (02/22/15 01:36 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: DottoreWolfe]
    #21313280 - 02/22/15 01:55 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Land is truly Dirt cheap in West Virginia, although I think they have winters?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlineweshroom
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: DottoreWolfe]
    #21313639 - 02/22/15 03:42 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DottoreWolfe said:
There is only one area of the U.S. I would head towards if I was you, and that area is the emerald triangle (Humboldt, Mendocino and Trinity Counties are the 3 points making up said triangle). It is the most beautiful place (in my opinon) in the United States, Humboldt also grows the most cannabis per capita in the world, in Humboldt you can grow 99 plants legally (and pounds of really high caliber bud costs only $800). Humboldt is in an mountainus rural area which borders the ocean, it seems as though this is the place where all hippies headed after the late 60's and 70's, anywhere in North of chico is good to go including Mt. Shasta, Weed (the name of a city), Eureka, etc., but no place on earth is like the emerald triangle, land there is also dirt cheap.
Much love brother.

Thanks wolfe! I've always heard about Humboldt and that area but never have known much about it. Sounds like a very good direction to head indeed.
  Hmmm if land there is cheap then that is definitely where I am going to start looking.

Much love to you as well my friend.

Good to know about the low price of land in West Virginia PDU!
Seems like west virgina may get some mild winters, still a lot more than I am used to haha.

Seems like this website is a good resource,
http://www.landwatch.com/

Not much in Humboldt but a few options in Mendocino county.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: weshroom] * 1
    #21314049 - 02/22/15 05:38 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Someone is smoking some of that Humboldt thinking you can buy cheap land in Northern CA.  I don't think so.  With a cabin in the woods on it for $15k?  OK, maybe smoking crack. 

You can buy cheap houses in Detroit, it's in the jungle sort of and with global warming should be temperate before long.

Check out Kinfucky, that's gotta be cheap.  Or Mississippi, that place is warm, and cheap.  Arkansas.  Missouri.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #21315052 - 02/22/15 09:02 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I was also assuming humboldt would be outrageously expensive.

However, when i was in West Virgina they were selling acreages with a house for 10-15k.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: PDU]
    #21315396 - 02/22/15 10:24 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

wv has some small plots of land for very cheap.  you can also snag ~75 acres for ~75k

Invisiblegrower182
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: memes]
    #21316399 - 02/23/15 08:14 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Not exactly sure of the wv laws but some of that land that is dirt cheap is because the current owner sold the mineral rights. So if you buy the land and the gas company wants to come frack your property you can't stop them.

Offlineweshroom
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: grower182]
    #21319423 - 02/23/15 07:20 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Ohh, gotta watch out for that fracking.... that would be a good question to ask I suppose.

WV, acre's land with house for 10-15k I can dig.

OfflineMaharishi_2_U
Opt Out Super Fag
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Streets Flag
    #21319433 - 02/23/15 07:24 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Northern Arkansas, Southern Missouri.
Do some research on cost of living and such.

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: Maharishi_2_U]
    #21331296 - 02/26/15 01:35 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

If you want cheap land you have to go where the jobs don't.  Think midwest or deep in the apalachians.

NorCal is DEF not your level of cheap.  There is some land way up near the border of Oregon but it would have to be WAY WAY fucking remote and will still be out of your 15k price range.

no jobs = cheap ass land.  If there is work in the area, expect the land to raise in value around those jobs proportionately.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: mndfreeze]
    #21358704 - 03/03/15 10:34 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

arizona... cheap off the grid living with different altitudes to pick from

--------------------

Invisibledutchfunkle
subowski
Male User Gallery

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: rackem]
    #21361746 - 03/04/15 03:16 PM (9 years, 26 days ago)

I'd have to say anywhere rich in natural resources(think wild game, ginseng, water source, gold,etc) and fuck the rest. Grow your own dope if need be. Also don't drop all your loot at once on property. Look into subject-to existing financing real estate(one form of seller financing where there's an existing mortgage that you just take over payments on an amortized loan). If your looking for an isolated patch of land, there's no doubt in my mind you could get it for next to nothing down with low monthly payments. With that wad of cash left over, invest in a wood mill to build your own cabin and live off the land my friend!

OfflineDeadheadcaps
Fluffhead
Male

Loc: MA Flag
    #21368849 - 03/05/15 11:56 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

I've been looking for a long long time and nothing you find thats decent land with a clearing for a cabin will be under 20k so set that for land. Unless you want 40 acres in the arizona desert or colorado desert you can get that for 4 grand no problem. It's dirt for miles.

North north maine has good 5 acres for 20-30k, but bad winters. Other than that Mississippi or southern texas you may be able to find cheap land that is actually somewhat decent.

But I promise you I have been looking in that price range from years, nothing you find will be better than a trailer or a cabin thats a complete wreck and unlivable. Otherwise the most you will get for 15k is 5 acres of decent land, or 40 acres of desert land.

There are multiple small acre sites for sale for cheap cheap like5 grand, but they're completely covered with trees that would cost 15k to cut down anyways and would take years to do yourself. Plus you could never grow anything there after that.

Your cheapest route is drop 15k on 1-5 acres with a clearing of decent land in Mississippi. Purchase a shipping container ($2000) and frame/insulate it, or you can build a small cabin for under $5000 easily, but prepare to be in it for the long haul.

--------------------

Edited by Deadheadcaps (03/06/15 12:02 AM)

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
    #21372304 - 03/06/15 08:08 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Try talking to the banks in your area to see if they have foreclosed on any properties. Some farmers have a hard time keeping their farmstead running and have to sell or file bankruptcy.

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: Shiithead]
    #21372386 - 03/06/15 08:29 PM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Northern Arizona sounds almost perfect for what you said.

Winters are nothing. Summers are fucking great!

1) prescott (<- beautiful place my #1 recommendation)
2) flagstaff
3) sedona *(dope ass red rocks)

btw the land is pretty cheap

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: rackem]
    #21372990 - 03/07/15 12:12 AM (9 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

rackem said:
arizona... cheap off the grid living with different altitudes to pick from

Thats where I live.  Not nearly as cheap as some podunk little town in the midwest or deep south, but you do have a lot of elevation and rainfall choices, though they do start to get far more expensive the cooler and nicer it gets. :laugh:

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: mndfreeze]
    #21383710 - 03/09/15 05:46 PM (9 years, 21 days ago)

15k for a house on an acreage??? Shit I need to get US citizenship, your lucky to buy acreages with no houses on them in oz for less then 20k, I hope eventually to buy a remote property and make it a self sustained are for me and a few friends. Haha how hard is it to get US citizenship, I also heard property was cheap as hell there but you new to be a citizen for it to be even remotely plausible. Otherwise I'd buy some cheap houses and rent them out

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #21383776 - 03/09/15 06:03 PM (9 years, 21 days ago)

There's a guy out here who I do business with and he built his own cabin ground up. Sitting on 350 acres. It does come with being in the middle of nowhere, though, with a dually / plow / brush guard and maybe a Bobcat.

He started with the foundation, electric and plumbing from from an old trailer. Then he built it around the trailer base and did his wood burning stove, electric, water and even did coaxial/ethernet. He maybe spent 5000 dollars total. It's a log cabin in the woods now. He farms and hunts. It is possible for 15-20k, just know what you're doing and plan, plan, plan.

Offlineweshroom
 User Gallery

Re: Recommendations for place to buy land (cabin in woods) [Re: Adden]
    #21384203 - 03/09/15 07:49 PM (9 years, 21 days ago)

Thats awesome templar!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom