Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up
    #21345259 - 02/28/15 05:41 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I had these sealed airtight slants in the fridge since 2010 and plated them on agar.  They all started right back up.

Other strains, in saran circled long dried up petri dishes also started back up.  I poured some sterile water on them and did a transfer a few days later.

Ain't life grand!

Jef

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineya der eh
Crazy Giggling S.O.B.
 User Gallery

Loc: Between Canada and Mexico
Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: Jef]
    #21345288 - 02/28/15 05:48 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet! I have a dried out shiitake plate I was gonna toss but maybe I'll play with it a bit and see if it comes back. :hairmetal:

--------------------

Be good to everyone, but do not be hesistant to keep toxic, negative people out of your life!
                    ***Trade list is currently empty***

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: ya der eh]
    #21346463 - 02/28/15 11:42 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

That is good news. guess it is no real surprise then why the long term storage in DH2O works for so long.

Invisibled0urd3n
Just call me "D"

Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: RandomFX]
    #21346768 - 03/01/15 03:35 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Good to hear. I was curious about long term petri storage. Thanks for sharing. :grin:

--------------------

Offlineknomadic_niki
A mile high
 User Gallery

Loc: 6200' Colorado
Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: d0urd3n]
    #21349091 - 03/01/15 05:27 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

that's good to know! thanks for sharing with us.

--------------------
My trade list

In search of sporeless oyster cultures

InvisibleMrGiraffe

Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: knomadic_niki]
    #21349333 - 03/01/15 06:22 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

So once my slants are colonized, I can crank down the lids all the way to seal them before putting them in the fridge?  Man here I was thinking that I'd need to keep them cracked and wrap em with parafilm.

Invisibled0urd3n
Just call me "D"

Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #21349433 - 03/01/15 06:50 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

Yeah also wondering that because I don't use GE on my petri jars.

--------------------

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

#21350425 - 03/02/15 12:20 AM (9 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Jef said:
I had these sealed airtight slants in the fridge since 2010 and plated them on agar.  They all started right back up.

What temps?

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

InvisibleTiN 42
Be the tree
Male

Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #21351102 - 03/02/15 09:08 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:
So once my slants are colonized, I can crank down the lids all the way to seal them before putting them in the fridge?

That's what I do. After I make my transfer to my slant I put the lid on about half way and parafilm. Keep at room temperature tell almost full colonization. Then I screw lid on tight and parafilm again and store in fridge. I had a few slants freeze sold on me this winter do to my culture fridge is outside in the shed. Brought them in once they thawed I tested them and they where still good and alive. Same with a few jars of LC.

--------------------
:mushroom2:MUSH LOVE:mushroom2:

InvisibleMrGiraffe

Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: TiN 42]
    #21351123 - 03/02/15 09:15 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Nice, I guess next time I fire up the hood I need to crank the lids down on the slants I've been making, most are ready to go into the fridge.

--------------------

InvisibleFoxFire
Energized Matter
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #21351137 - 03/02/15 09:19 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Well that's good to know.  I'm always stressing out about my cultures health under storage.

Has anyone tried the grain spawn in sterile water method for long term storage?  Read about it in Tradd Cotters book, seems legit.

-FF

--------------------
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better.  It's not.

InvisibleTiN 42
Be the tree
Male

Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: FoxFire]
    #21351162 - 03/02/15 09:29 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

FoxFire said:

Has anyone tried the grain spawn in sterile water method for long term storage?  Read about it in Tradd Cotters book, seems legit.

-FF

No I haven't got the book or heard of that method. Could you tell me more about it? I do have a couple jars of rye grain fully colonized with golden oyster I didn't get last summer. I'm sure they have frozen and thawed a few times. I'm going to be interested to see what they do when I pull them out this spring.

--------------------

InvisibleFoxFire
Energized Matter
Male User Gallery

#21351395 - 03/02/15 10:36 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

From the book:

Quote:

"Submerge the colonized grain in sterile water in a large tube or jar for easy retrieval, and store in the refrigerator. 
I've found that one 50 ml centrifuge tube filled with colonized grain is enough to last me for a year,
allowing me to pull out a few grains when I need them." 
"Water can also be replaced with autoclaved mineral oil to protect difficult-to-store species."

The picture in the book looks like he just broke up some spawn and threw it in a sterile tube of water

-FF

--------------------

InvisibleTiN 42
Be the tree
Male

#21351429 - 03/02/15 10:43 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Golden State
    #21351658 - 03/02/15 11:41 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

The picture in the book looks like he just broke up some spawn and threw it in a sterile tube of water

I've been considering this lately, it is so simple i almost feel like a slob just considering it! Everyone suggests slants, petris, and paper discs but i would much rather make a grain slurry and refridgerate it. :shrug:

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

AMU Teks :mushroom2: Stro's Write Ups

Offlineya der eh
Crazy Giggling S.O.B.
 User Gallery

Loc: Between Canada and Mexico
Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: Toadstool5]
    #21354127 - 03/02/15 10:00 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Toadstool5 said:
Quote:

I've been considering this lately, it is so simple i almost feel like a slob just considering it! Everyone suggests slants, petris, and paper discs but i would much rather make a grain slurry and refridgerate it. :shrug:

According to this post. It would seem one doesn't even need to refrigerate it in distilled water. He's talking 10+ years of viablity.

Quote:

solumvita said:
Hi, storage in distilled water is one of the simplest methods and has given proven results many times over.  Many fungi are stored this way and there have been a number of posts about it.

The other advantage is that it can be stored at room temperature and there is no need for refrigeration.

I know of a number of people storing mycelium for over 10 years but that after 20 years there is a very significant decrease in viability.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8778891

--------------------

Be good to everyone, but do not be hesistant to keep toxic, negative people out of your life!
                    ***Trade list is currently empty***

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Golden State
Re: After 5 years in the fridge......cultures start right back up [Re: ya der eh]
    #21354161 - 03/02/15 10:08 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Well im storing on grains from now on! That is uttery amazing that a culture can remain viable for 10-20 years. I love the shroomery! Making the impossible possible :awesomenod:

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

AMU Teks :mushroom2: Stro's Write Ups

InvisibleTiN 42
Be the tree
Male

#21354187 - 03/02/15 10:14 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

For sure going to be trying this.:rockon:

--------------------

InvisibleFoxFire
Energized Matter
Male User Gallery

#21356655 - 03/03/15 02:18 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

I'm wondering if we can screw the caps down all the way with the submerged grain tubes,
or if we leave them cracked and wrap in parafilm..  :strokebeard:

-FF

--------------------

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
    #21356743 - 03/03/15 02:34 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

I was in the process of using distilled water and storing small agar cubes as a experiment, when all my cultures got stolen last fall. I did get them back and most seemed unopened, but since this is a experiment, I cannot atest to what conditions they were under so the experiment itself is blown, but I have revitalized them fine so far.and it is now the 1 year mark. next revitalization is the 5 year mark. In Distilled water you do not need to refrigerate. The main reason I like it is because of not needing to refrigerate frankly, and also being able to use extremely small storage vials. no need for a separate storage fridge or worrying about electricity loss is a big bonus imo.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates