Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
Goat
    #21289582 - 02/17/15 05:07 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone here ever tried it? Ive had all kinds of wild game plus almost every meat and seafood from working as a chef for years. I've never tried goat how would you prepare it like lamb/mutton or more like deer or elk?

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #21308710 - 02/21/15 02:35 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Slow cook, marinate or both.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #21313543 - 02/22/15 03:15 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

More like mutton I would say... Braised or stewed, it's delicious. :yesnod:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: geokills]
    #21316276 - 02/23/15 07:23 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I've only had it a few ways and its been pretty good.

Braised Goat Leg:
Use a Moroccan / middle eastern / African flavor rub and then sear and braised with mire poix and tomatoes until tender. Strain, reduce the liquid and serve.

Goat Meat Balls:
I made a panada out of milk and stale bread and then I added reduced red wine and parmessan as well as some large crushed black peppercorns. I served it with shaved parm, parisian gnocchi, asparagus and beurre monte.

Smoked whole Goat:
I did not prepare this one, but I ate it. It was splayed in half and smoked most of the day. It came out of the smoker black and the farmer pulled the shell of skin off and underneath was pink, delicious goat meat.

I would think about it like lamb, I would love to be able to serve it, but I can't get anyone to buy it.

--------------------
Here's what we can do to change the world right now, to a better ride. Take all the money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead, spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over , not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

~Bill Hicks~

Looking to build up a print library

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Goat [Re: MattyBear]
    #21316920 - 02/23/15 10:28 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I ate a whole lot of goat as a kid. We had a few goats with which we bred and we used to keep or sell off the females and eat the males before they would mature (you don't want to eat a mature, male goat, trust me on that). The tasiest way to prepare them was to take a big chunk from the back, make some lesions with a knife and put whole or half cloves of garlic in them, rub with salt, pepper and whatever other seasonings and herbs you like and then cook over an open fire. We used to do this all the time in summer. Absolutely fantastic way to eat home-grown meat.

Also, goat cheese is great!

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#21318408 - 02/23/15 03:28 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MattyBear said:
I've only had it a few ways and its been pretty good.

Braised Goat Leg:
Use a Moroccan / middle eastern / African flavor rub and then sear and braised with mire poix and tomatoes until tender. Strain, reduce the liquid and serve.

Goat Meat Balls:
I made a panada out of milk and stale bread and then I added reduced red wine and parmessan as well as some large crushed black peppercorns. I served it with shaved parm, parisian gnocchi, asparagus and beurre monte.

Smoked whole Goat:
I did not prepare this one, but I ate it. It was splayed in half and smoked most of the day. It came out of the smoker black and the farmer pulled the shell of skin off and underneath was pink, delicious goat meat.

I would think about it like lamb, I would love to be able to serve it, but I can't get anyone to buy it.

Where do you cook? I've run across the same problems mainly with seafoods. My one purveyer was the head chef at a seafood place for 12 years and he could always guide me on things I wasn't  sure about. I wanted to do Cobia real bad and in this market it just wouldn't sell.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Invisiblelavod
Seal Whisperer
 User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Goat [Re: koraks]
    #21318644 - 02/23/15 04:19 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Also, goat cheese is great!

On some things, yes!  I love goat cheese on salmon with roasted red peppers and a lemon butter sauce.  Cheese and seafood is generally a no-no, but that's a rare exception to my tastes.

I do like goat, but i've only had it ordered at indian restaurants.  The portion size they give is always small compared to a lamb dish i've noticed so i usually opt for the latter.  I'll have to try finding some to prepare myself even though i'll probably fuck it up at least once.

--------------------

Edited by lavod (02/23/15 04:26 PM)

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: lavod]
    #21319046 - 02/23/15 05:50 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I run a small local restaurant in SW VA. You?

--------------------
Here's what we can do to change the world right now, to a better ride. Take all the money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead, spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over , not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

~Bill Hicks~

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#21319471 - 02/23/15 07:35 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Right now I'm at a stinkin grocery store but it pays the bills Sucks when 2 owners die on you in 2 years. I want back in the game. I used to get to call the shots. But I have hopes at a 5 star nearby. Italian of course go figure the Irish can cook Italian better than Itallians :lol:

--------------------

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

#21321657 - 02/24/15 08:31 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

That Sucks, its a crazy business, I've opened 2 different places that have shut down suddenly and put me out of work. It can really be a hard life sometimes. On the other hand you can almost always find work. Maybe not what you want, but if you can cook you can work.

--------------------

~Bill Hicks~

Invisiblelavod
Seal Whisperer
 User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
    #21322150 - 02/24/15 10:43 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MattyBear said:
That Sucks, its a crazy business, I've opened 2 different places that have shut down suddenly and put me out of work. It can really be a hard life sometimes. On the other hand you can almost always find work. Maybe not what you want, but if you can cook you can work.

Yeah that's true.  A late friend's brother was a fantastic and accredited chef, but quite the crackhead.  He could get hired anywhere, but would just work for one or two paychecks until going on a massive crack binge and not showing up for work again.  But despite his history ov very short stints at restaurants, just about every place he applied at hired him.

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #21322192 - 02/24/15 10:54 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

My wife makes a goat stew with a shit-ton of North African spices and dried apricots. It's delicious, but takes forever to cook -- 10+ hours in the crock pot if I remember correctly.

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: Me_Roy]
    #21322643 - 02/24/15 12:55 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Mr_Roy, Sounds like your wife needs to borrow your pressure cooker. I can do short ribs in 1.5 to 2 hours in a PC. Beans in like 15min.

Here's a link to a nice cooking chart for PC's
https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php

--------------------

~Bill Hicks~

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #21323092 - 02/24/15 02:53 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MattyBear said:
Mr_Roy, Sounds like your wife needs to borrow your pressure cooker. I can do short ribs in 1.5 to 2 hours in a PC. Beans in like 15min.

Here's a link to a nice cooking chart for PC's
https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php

Huh. Good point you have there. Does the shortened cooking time diminish the development and mixing of flavors? Once the goat was finally done it was off-the-chain good.

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#21323348 - 02/24/15 03:47 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lavod said:
Quote:

MattyBear said:

Yeah that's true.  A late friend's brother was a fantastic and accredited chef, but quite the crackhead.  He could get hired anywhere, but would just work for one or two paychecks until going on a massive crack binge and not showing up for work again.  But despite his history ov very short stints at restaurants, just about every place he applied at hired him.

That is so true Every good cook I've ever worked with was either on drugs or drunk or both. I've cooked on shrooms and acid and never had anything come back.

--------------------

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

#21325034 - 02/24/15 08:28 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

r00tuuu123 Ha, that sounds too crazy for me. Also, is your avatar the guy from JAWS?

Me_Roy Actually it's the opposite. You get a heightened flavor since the steam rising from the liquid, hits the top of the pressure cooker, condenses and falls back into the liquid. It works like a coffee percolator.
However, your sauce does not reduce. So if you usually do a braise and expect the sauce to slowly reduce you would have to remove the lid once the proteins are cooked and reduce on the stove top to get the desired consistency for the sauce.
Or strain into another pot and reduce from there. I also like to let the protein rest in the cooking liquid for at least 30min. before I remove it from the pot.

I did stew the other day when we were snowed in by searing onions, garlic and stew meat in the pressure cooker then I added a can of crushed tomatoes, red wine and reduced. Then I added some veal stock, popped the top on the PC. I brought it to pressure and the cooked for 1.5hrs. I let it depressurize then I added rice, frozen veggies, and chopped potatoes and cooked it on the stove top until the rice and potatoes were tender. It turned out very nice for a cold snowy day.

--------------------

~Bill Hicks~

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#21325189 - 02/24/15 08:59 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

r00tuuu123 Ha, that sounds too crazy for me.

Quote:

MattyBear said:Also, is your avatar the guy from JAWS?

Yes that is Robert Shaw Captain Quint in the movie. As far as crazy Drying shrooms under the heat lamps was funny with the wait staff going what are those? And us saying don't touch those they're for one of the dinner specials.

--------------------

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

#21325235 - 02/24/15 09:07 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Ridiculous! :eek:

--------------------

~Bill Hicks~

InvisibleAlgo
Backstrap Fever

#21325283 - 02/24/15 09:13 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Not a fan of goat, but i love lamb.

--------------------

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#21325335 - 02/24/15 09:20 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MattyBear said:
Ridiculous! :eek:

No bullshit man. :thatsayes: Probably came close to a lb and a half dried. But then again I had my own (cooking) herb garden in the back and they would never know what kinds of foods I would show up with. Wild caught trout from a day of fishing, Deer and  Elk and wild boar. Spiny lobster shipped in from the bahammas. Plus the best part was I controlled the food costs so I budgeted in money so the kitchen staff could eat what ever they wanted. Like  if a Dishwasher wanted a steak it was like sure go ahead but you gotta cook it yourself.

--------------------

Offlinethenagual
Male User Gallery

#21326164 - 02/25/15 12:44 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds rad. Im just a sous but I'm digging my new job, the chef is laid back.we only smoke when work but I could only imagine working for you.

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: thenagual]
    #21326698 - 02/25/15 06:52 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

That's awesome man, its always good to take care of the staff. I've never had elk, wild boar or spiny lobster.

--------------------

~Bill Hicks~

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

#21330037 - 02/25/15 07:36 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Just ate some quail tonight stuffed with mergueze sausage with a sherry jus. It was really nice.

--------------------

~Bill Hicks~

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #21332270 - 02/26/15 10:12 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

look, I'm a lifelong pot head, I've smoked before work all the time and of course after work, but if you're doing much more intricate cooking and plating being high on shrooms and acid would only be a detriment to your work and shows no respect for the people who are paying for your work. Again, I'm not sure what kind of food or style of cuisine you make. I've only ever been into find dining with multiple components on the plate, many of which takes a few days to produce. I couldn't imagine doing what I do high on shrooms or acid.

but if you can, then more power to you.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: Me_Roy]
    #21332290 - 02/26/15 10:16 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

pressure cooking is a great cooking method, but keep in mind that it tends to mellow out acidic flavors. Usually I have to adjust pressure cooked stocks/sauces with acidic ingredients like reduced wine, vinegar or citrus juice to balance out the flavors. Also you don't get the same kind of caramelization from certain products like vegetables. Sometimes you have to lower the Ph level and add baking soda to certain things for them to caramelize.

Modernist cuisine blog has great recipes for the pressure cooker that I'm sure you'll find interesting.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#21332304 - 02/26/15 10:19 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

agreed, especially dishwashers.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: soochi]
    #21335749 - 02/26/15 09:47 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I've read a little bit of the modernist cuisine. Not really my style of cooking. Some of it seems a little strange to me. Granted Nathan Myhrvold is a genius so who am I to argue, but I read a recipe for duck breast that removes the skin from the duck, sous vides the skin then uses transglutaminase to glue the skin back onto the duck and I just feel like "give me a fucking break" No matter how "perfect" it is you just lost a little bit of your soul. Chefs far better than him, have cooked duck breast far better than his, long before he came around(i.e. Fernand Point, Michael Bras, Christian Delouvre, Bernard Loiseau). I have used meat glue in a couple of instances in the past, but it is a process that I don't think I will ever use again. They use it in book binding for christ sake.
That being said he is a genius and I have taken a lot from his books, but not everything. I will have to look further into the pressure cooking as I am still some what new and am always looking to learn more.
As far as someones state of mind while cooking food, the only important things to me are: Are you positive, are you clean, are you organized, is your food amazing? Other than that everything comes in second.
That's my little rant....
Soochi where are you located, whats in season right now?

--------------------

~Bill Hicks~

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #21337849 - 02/27/15 11:02 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Was strollin' through downtown Los Angeles yesterday.

Walked into Grand Central Market and found this nice selection of goat at the Belcampo Farms meat counter.  Didn't pick any up (although I did buy some pork pate), but figured this would be a good place to share the impressive view.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineMattyBear
sharing is caring
Male User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: geokills]
    #21338599 - 02/27/15 01:55 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Snap! I made some pork pate today! 

Edited by MattyBear (02/28/15 07:09 AM)

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: soochi]
    #21339635 - 02/27/15 06:08 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

soochi said:
look, I'm a lifelong pot head, I've smoked before work all the time and of course after work, but if you're doing much more intricate cooking and plating being high on shrooms and acid would only be a detriment to your work and shows no respect for the people who are paying for your work. Again, I'm not sure what kind of food or style of cuisine you make. I've only ever been into find dining with multiple components on the plate, many of which takes a few days to produce. I couldn't imagine doing what I do high on shrooms or acid.

At 3:00 inthe afternoon you'd better be ready to rock by 5, a few days cmon man. :facepalm: if you can't rock A'la Minute pack it in. Typical Cullinary school giberish.

--------------------

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #21369300 - 03/06/15 05:10 AM (9 years, 26 days ago)

I ate some goat testicle once.  It was alright, reminded me of a boiled egg.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Goat [Re: Jufin]
    #21369415 - 03/06/15 06:19 AM (9 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Jufin said:

I bet it took some balls to eat that!

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

Re: Goat [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #21369515 - 03/06/15 06:56 AM (9 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Quote:

Jufin said:

:beavis:

--------------------

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Goat [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #21371286 - 03/06/15 03:17 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Quote:

Jufin said:

He shoots, he scores!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag