Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: Violet]
    #21120730 - 01/14/15 02:25 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I ment what have you studied, do you work within mushroom cultivation and do you originate from planet earth.........by the way are u female?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: Edmunter]
    #21120732 - 01/14/15 02:26 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Edmunter said:
I ment what have you studied, do you work within mushroom cultivation and do you originate from planet earth.........by the way are u female?

:lmafo:

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #21120765 - 01/14/15 02:36 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:
Quote:

Edmunter said:

:rules: - derailing thread

:rofl:

Violet is smart, that is all that needs to be known. Privacy is important in this hobby. :hehehe:

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: Edmunter]
    #21120828 - 01/14/15 02:53 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I will say that, well after learning to grow originally with Cubensis over 3 years ago, I have since had a one-person-ran Shiitake grow business that used to supply a gourmet restaurant (when I also grew Oysters alongside) and now that I sell at a local farmer's market and occasionally to grocery stores.

Can't speak much to my studies and still retain as much anonymity as I'd want, but I will say beyond formal education I am very eclectically self-educated in my interests - cultivation mycology being one of many.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

InvisibleGuardian187
Neophyte

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #21120866 - 01/14/15 03:04 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Violet said:

Humidity in a room shouldn't slow down a plate's colonization, because the humidity in the plate should be high regardless of the room, since it's sealed away from the room's air.  Otherwise it wouldn't stay sterile.

I only mentioned moisture relative to temperature stability.  If the temps are swinging all the time, it will exacerbate moisture evaporation from the agar or whatever other sub, and condensing on all the other surfaces of the container.

Just 4 days ago isn't very long for spore germination.  I typically didn't see it that soon.  Mine would be 4-7 days typically, and that's from my own prints.  Otherwise more like 6-12 days IME.
Patience, friend :]

I always get worked up about time. Much to learn still :smile:

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

#21121424 - 01/14/15 05:07 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:
Quote:

Edmunter said:

:rules: - derailing thread

:rofl:

Violet is smart, that is all that needs to be known. Privacy is important in this hobby. :hehehe:

:laugh2:
Quote:

Violet said:
I will say that, well after learning to grow originally with Cubensis over 3 years ago, I have since had a one-person-ran Shiitake grow business that used to supply a gourmet restaurant (when I also grew Oysters alongside) and now that I sell at a local farmer's market and occasionally to grocery stores.

Can't speak much to my studies and still retain as much anonymity as I'd want, but I will say beyond formal education I am very eclectically self-educated in my interests - cultivation mycology being one of many.

Strings to your bow....nice...... So im reconing ur 28 years and a pys tecno Dj.....lol

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

#21128838 - 01/16/15 11:38 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Violet said:
Yeah I figured you meant agar.  My first post about speed applies then.

No, for regular agar dishes, use as much as you normally would - 9-10g agar-agar for 500mL, or .5g agar-agar per 25mL dish.

The tek using grainwater for growing mushrooms, poms, is specifically what you can use 1/3 the agar-agar for. Even less potentially, up to just 1/5 or so, especially with very starchy sub.

So i'm going to make some agar dishes tonight.  So to clarify, Im using 500ml of grain water to 10gs agar.  Right?

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#21128856 - 01/16/15 11:43 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Correct!  Just like any agar recipe.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

InvisibleGuardian187
Neophyte

#21129438 - 01/16/15 02:07 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Violet said:
Correct!  Just like any agar recipe.

The PDA and YM agars I have say 41g to 1L water. Is that too strong for mushies?

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: Guardian187]
    #21129544 - 01/16/15 02:40 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

That's 20.5g per 500mL... If that is their direction, they probably are a pre-mixture of the nutrients and the agar-agar powder. Only half-ish of that mixture is agar-agar if that's the case.  The proportions we're discussing here are JUST about agar-agar powder, such as for preparing the complete recipe oneself from separate ingredients, not just adding a pre-mixture to water.

--------------------

Violet's Teks and Posts

InvisibleGuardian187
Neophyte

#21129689 - 01/16/15 03:09 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Violet said:
That's 20.5g per 500mL... If that is their direction, they probably are a pre-mixture of the nutrients and the agar-agar powder. Only half-ish of that mixture is agar-agar if that's the case.  The proportions we're discussing here are JUST about agar-agar powder, such as for preparing the complete recipe oneself from separate ingredients, not just adding a pre-mixture to water.

I see, thanks for clarifying! :smile:

OfflineGoodyMcLuvin
Shamanic Level Dimitri Proponent
 User Gallery

Loc: Hippie Town, NC
Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: Guardian187]
    #21144201 - 01/19/15 01:41 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I disagree. If V is correct, then regular lawn grass seed would be the "BEST" all purpose grain by far.

--------------------
*I graduated from the corner, my respect be my diploma,I went OG for the dollars, Js thought I went to college*

OfflineMushroom_J
Hard to the Coir !
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: GoodyMcLuvin]
    #21144398 - 01/19/15 02:15 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

It's the best master grain at least.
With a quart jar.. you can inoculate at least 50 other jars.
So many seeds per spoon full :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: Mushroom_J]
    #21144637 - 01/19/15 02:59 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

^^^ that is correct.  It's the best master grain - BY FAR.  Regardless of how you grow, if you expand with grain-to-grain you should keep a couple pounds of gs around for your master jars.
Even if seed costs you x5 as much as other grains (which is doubtful) it saves you money and cooker runs to use it to expand.

These days I only use grass seed for, and suggest it for, 4 uses only:
Master jars for easy strong and speedy grain-to-grain inoculation,
Growing invitro without casing layers,
Vtek for QUICK growing since it requires very little consolidation (if any since the casing is colonized under tight lid too) and flushes out most of its capacity in 2-3 flushes,
And being the PERFECT (read: ONLY) grain for my Culturing Tech (despite that I used brown rice when the pics for the tek were taken), which I hope you've read.

Turns out grass seed is slightly inferior as a spawn grain. Not enough that it isn't just as viable as an option for it as others, but to where there's little point in spending extra on it.
It's lightness and spread makes it take up 120% as much space as rice does, as I discovered in my inclusive grain comparison of the two. That means it takes 120% as many jars and thus cooker runs to get the same amount of grain nutrition to use.
That has some up-swings, such as reducing the impact of failures and possibly increasing one's yield-per-grain, but unless going for any of the advantages above one might as well choose oats, rye, millet or milo (birdseed)

--------------------

Violet's Teks and Posts

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

#21166041 - 01/23/15 04:47 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Can you add food colouring to the GWA to get a better definition of your culture?

OfflineGoodyMcLuvin
Shamanic Level Dimitri Proponent
 User Gallery

Loc: Hippie Town, NC
    #21186307 - 01/27/15 12:34 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

When prepared this way should grass seed be able to pass the toilet paper test like rye, or should it have more moisture to account for the pc?
  I'm doing this now to make a grain petri. I'm currently waiting for the plant fert to be digested by bacteria. And could spent coffee grounds be added to the jars before the PC? I ask because I was going to let the mini grow play out, and wanted to experiment with the potency. Thoughts?

--------------------
*I graduated from the corner, my respect be my diploma,I went OG for the dollars, Js thought I went to college*

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: GoodyMcLuvin]
    #21211046 - 02/01/15 01:37 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

The grain waater agar is great!  Really fast clearly defined cultures.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#22363173 - 10/11/15 12:45 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

odd results with the flash hydration prep. I poured boiling water into a plastic shoe-box containing rye berries and let it soak for 24 hours. (it was inside of two other shoe-box totes to help retain heat. the lid was on too)

When I opened it up quite a few grains had burst. Did I maybe boil the water too hard? Or maybe it retained heat for too long? I don't know, burst grains were the last thing I'd expect this tek to yield. :confused:

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Prep Tek • All Grains, featuring Brown Rice & Grass Seed [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22363487 - 10/11/15 02:06 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Hm, interesting.  Yeah part of the point of a hard boil then pour is that it takes particularities like those out of the picture.  The bursting almost assuredly happened while the water was still very hot so the soak time isn't what caused it. A little shoebox shouldn't hold water too long.
Dunno for sure.  Maybe taking the edge off your boil could help.  I typically use(d) that prep style for larger batches of grains.

--------------------

Violet's Teks and Posts

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#22363536 - 10/11/15 02:15 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the input! I had used a lid to get the boil going extra hard this time before pouring. That was probably the last straw now that i think about it.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag