Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblenaykid
computers.suck
Using Agar to colonize cake/bulk substrate
    #21208112 - 01/31/15 06:29 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

My plan is to inoculate several agar petri dishes with a cubensis strain, then after those are colonized, I am either going to take a piece of colonized agar and mix it with sterilized substrate and/or I'm going to make a liquid culture then use that to inoculate the substrate.

The questions I have are, what is the best substate to use? (I'm thinking rye berries/seed or wild bird seed but I'm open to alternatives)

Which would be faster, to colonize using just agar to substrate or making a lc from agar then using that to colonize the substrate (RB or WBS)

I think it might be important to state that I'm using a glass terrarium for this that is 30 by 12 by 12 inches tall, is there any problem with the size?

so, how does this sound so far?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
Re: Using Agar to colonize cake/bulk substrate [Re: naykid]
    #21208282 - 01/31/15 06:56 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Do a very small scale project with two different agar plates.

Make an LI (Involves a blender) or use that LC but make sure you take more myc then water. I'd suggest like a pp5 container they make pasty plates in.

Get two, use the LC on one and then get a piece of colonized agar and drop it in the second one Or colonize it there), cut it up as small as you can (The smaller the better for more inoculation), drop your coir, close the container and give it a crazy shake to spread. Then open it and even it out.

It can work and it's been done, just not with great results.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

InvisiblePNWMusicMaker
Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Using Agar to colonize cake/bulk substrate [Re: taGyo]
    #21208381 - 01/31/15 07:16 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I've been doing plate to brf/verm transfers pretty regularly now. So I'd say yes it can be done. Helps that I work in MS I guess.
I haven't played with liquid cultures yet.

--------------------
Live to change, change to live.

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Re: Using Agar to colonize cake/bulk substrate [Re: PNWMusicMaker]
    #21208388 - 01/31/15 07:17 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PNWMusicMaker said:
I've been doing plate to brf/verm transfers pretty regularly now. So I'd say yes it can be done. Helps that I work in MS I guess.

How's the P Cyan going?

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

InvisiblePNWMusicMaker
Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #21208393 - 01/31/15 07:18 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

No fruits, tons of mycelium colonizing various things. I'd say it's going well. I'm just working on getting some cube prints to play with now that I'm familiar with my process.

--------------------
Live to change, change to live.

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

#21208477 - 01/31/15 07:35 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

:rockon:

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Loc: The Other Side Flag
    #21208541 - 01/31/15 07:52 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

naykid said:
My plan is to inoculate several agar petri dishes with a cubensis strain, then after those are colonized, I am either going to take a piece of colonized agar and mix it with sterilized substrate and/or I'm going to make a liquid culture then use that to inoculate the substrate.

The questions I have are, what is the best substate to use? (I'm thinking rye berries/seed or wild bird seed but I'm open to alternatives)

Which would be faster, to colonize using just agar to substrate or making a lc from agar then using that to colonize the substrate (RB or WBS)

I think it might be important to state that I'm using a glass terrarium for this that is 30 by 12 by 12 inches tall, is there any problem with the size?

so, how does this sound so far?

You have several agar cultures started Why not just make an LC with one plate and use another plate to inoculate some grain spawn?  My favorite spawn as of right now is red wheat berries.  This is because I can find the shit pretty easily and for pretty cheap too. 

RR has said that an agar wedge will always colonize faster than an LC.  But something to remember is that an agar wedge might colonize faster per jar, but once the jar that was inoculated with the agar wedge has colonized you still need to use that jar to perform a grain to grain on enough jars for you to use as spawn with your bulk substrate.  Then those jars all have to colonize.  Whereas if you have a clean LC then you can just suck up enough liquid culture into your syringe to inoculate every spawn jar you have.  But you still have to test the LC.  You could make an LC and it could turn out to be as infected as a $2 Tijuana hooker.  Then you loose all that colonizing time you could've had otherwise. 

That being said, use one wedge to inoculate an LC and use another wedge to inoculate a grain jar which will become a master grain jar once it has colonized.  If your LC fails you still have the grain jar with the agar wedge.  If the LC works then you have a good LC and you have a grain jar that you can use to preserve a strain (but that is a totally new rant and I'm too drunk to go into preserving strains with master culture jars).  And last but not least if you still have another agar plate you can use this agar plate to select and transfer sectors.  From these transfers you can work towards an isolate that performs really well and then you can preserve that isolate and use it for future grows... oh no now I've gotten into preserving strains again.  I guess I should just post this now lol.

--------------------
AMU

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Re: Using Agar to colonize cake/bulk substrate [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #21208572 - 01/31/15 07:58 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I think he's doing it for the novelty.

Or maybe he can't get access to grains?

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

Invisiblenaykid
computers.suck
    #21208579 - 01/31/15 08:00 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PNWMusicMaker said:

Would you recommend using brown rice flour rather than rye berries or wild bird seed?

I've gotten impression that rye berries or wild bird seeds have more nutrients that help with the potency of the fruits, is there any truth to this or am I misunderstanding something?

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

#21208591 - 01/31/15 08:02 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

No correlation. It's more about genetics and bulk substrate then what grain you use.

WBS is just the smallest so it has more inoculation holes.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

#21208829 - 01/31/15 08:56 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

naykid said:
I've gotten impression that rye berries or wild bird seeds have more nutrients that help with the potency of the fruits, is there any truth to this or am I misunderstanding something?

Rye berries or WBS are both used as spawn.  The spawn is inoculated and it grows out to full colonization.  From there the spawn is used to inoculate your bulk substrate.  The nutrients used throughout the process will affect your grow.  This is why it is recommended that we soak our grains in coffee, with gypsum and the likes.  But once you spawn your grains to your bulk substrate this is where the biggest part of nutrients are needed.  I tend to like a coir, manure, and vermiculite substrate.  There are many other recipes that will work just as well. I think the majority of your question lays with in genetics.  If you are working with a nutrient rich substrate you will want to isolate different strains and see which preforms the best. 

The answer to our question is pretty complex.  I think the best thing for you to do right now is to pick a grain and go with it.  You will not notice a difference between using WBS vs. Rye.  Then pick a bulk substrate and spawn your grain to the substrate.

--------------------
AMU

Invisiblenaykid
computers.suck
Re: Using Agar to colonize cake/bulk substrate [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #21211546 - 02/01/15 03:24 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot WW, I'm gonna inoculate say 5-10 agar plates, choose the healthiest one and divide that plate up into the jars of rye berries. then break those up into a bulk substrate and fruit from there.

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

#21213633 - 02/01/15 09:23 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

:super:

--------------------
AMU

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures