Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

Loc: Flag
Any succulent experts? (need help identifying)
    #21059031 - 01/03/15 12:18 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I've got a "rescue" plant that I assume is a succulent of some sort. I'm excited about its discovery and would love to figure out what exactly it is.

I tried taking on a plant that a previous tenant of the house left behind and shortly realized it was already dead. For a month I never removed it from my night stand until today. I was cleaning my room and went to throw away the plant and discovered this little guy that seems to be alive just chillin in a block of soil under the dead plant. I never even noticed it before!
Any clue what it is?

I could not get better pics, cams got a crack on it. And sorry they're sideways, currently without internet so I'm on my phone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Any succulent experts? (need help identifying) [Re: PandaBruja13]
    #21059337 - 01/03/15 02:36 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

It looks like an echeveria species that has lost nearly all of its leaves. It may pull through with proper care and grow some new leaves.

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

Re: Any succulent experts? (need help identifying) [Re: koraks]
    #21065803 - 01/04/15 01:01 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think any leaves have fallen off of it..
Anyone out there think they know the specific species?

Invisiblekoraks
    #21070774 - 01/05/15 11:11 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PandaBruja13 said:
I don't think any leaves have fallen off of it..

Uhm, I do think so. In fact, I'm certain of it.

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

#21077612 - 01/06/15 03:09 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't mean to offend, so apologies if I did. I've been doing some research with little luck finding exactly what genus it could be, but I did read this and was wondering what your thoughts were:

SYMPTOM Stem awkwardly long with rosette at the tip
CAUSE Normal growth
REMEDY Remove any old, dry leaves at the base of the rosette, then cut the stem 1 inch below healthy leaves and replant the rosette as a cutting.

I read it here http://www.timberpress.com/blog/2013/06/whats-wrong-with-my-succulent/

Invisiblekoraks
    #21080995 - 01/07/15 03:40 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, I wasn't offended, just a little surprised that you dismissed my suggestion even though I have seen this many times on similar succulents. As to genus, I still think echeveria is the most likely candidate. Don't be thrown off by the pics of full-blown rosettes; that is obviously not what your plant looks like, but in my opinion, that is due to its having lost most of its leaves. Note that this may not happen all at once; they may drop off as they grown on, resulting in just two or three leaves actually being on the plant at a time. Obviously, this does mean that the plant is growing in far-from-optimal conditions.

You could definitely take a cutting, but as the plant is now, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't have much life force and it may not have enough energy stored in it to properly root. If it does, it will take a long time. I would place it in a suitable spot (lots of indirect light, not too much water, but don't let dry out completely for now, don't place it too near to a cold window or a hot heater), see if it recovers over the course of a couple of months and then decide to take a cutting and root that. The reason why people cut these and let the rosette root is only for aesthetic purposes; if left to grow naturally as it were, these species will grow a bit like miniature palm trees, with long stems at the end of which the growing tip is surrounded by the rosette. People tend to not like the look of the lanky, long and leafless stems, hence the cutting and rooting procedure. But that only works well with a healthy plant.

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

#21186216 - 01/27/15 12:12 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I took your advice and left it as is. All leaves have now fallen :frown:
What should I do now / how do I know if it's just time to give up on it. I'll take a pic if need be.

Invisiblekoraks
    #21189797 - 01/28/15 02:18 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well, that bigger leaf was pretty certain to drop off anyway as it was already drying out in the first pic you posted, so no surprise there. How about the growing tip; how does that look? A picture could help.

Is the soil dry, moist or positively wet? With succulents, it's best to err on the dry side; let the soil surface dry out before watering again - did you do that? Never keep the soil moist with succulents, especially if they are in a difficult period and certainly not during the winter, as succulents generally go into a kind of hibernation that stalls growth. Watering too much will cause root rot.

This specimen was of course in very rough shape when you got it, so there's no saying if it will pull through. I would still leave it alone; you can't make a plant healthy, you can just create the conditions in which it is most likely to recover and least likely to be attacked by fungi.

If you suspect that the root system may already be rotting, you could consider cutting it off above the ground and replanting the top part of the plant in some new soil (slightly damp) to see if it'll root again. But given the state it's in, it has very few reserves and it will probably die in that scenario.

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

#21190695 - 01/28/15 10:20 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

The soil was completely dry when I felt it just now, so I gave it some more water. I did read that you should let the soil get dry between waterings. Here is its current state.

Invisiblekoraks
    #21199968 - 01/30/15 01:31 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm,that doesn't look too happy! It's not quite dead yet, but it may suffer from root rot. I see quite a bit of mold on the soil, which suggests it has been quite wet somewhere in the past. After letting the soil dry and watering it again, the mold will flourish again, which is apparently what happened. I think I'd just water very very sparingly, put the pot in a spot with no direct heat (so not near a radiator) but no frost either. For comparison, I water my succulents maybe once a month or once every two months in the winter.

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

#21200849 - 01/30/15 09:35 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Wow for some reason I thought that mold was just plant food in the soil :foreheadslap:

I'll refrain from watering the little guy but what do you suggest I do about the mold? That can't be good.

Invisiblekoraks
    #21205330 - 01/31/15 02:31 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well, if the white fuzz is actually crystals, then it could be either plant food or calcium from the water. If it is plant food, it's a sign of gross overdosing on plant food, making the soil way too saline and certainly killing the plant. If it's calcium, it's fine, but generally this amount of calcium will only appear after more than one or two years, even if the water is very hard. Since this plant was potted quite recently, that would be very unlikely. But I think all this isn't relevant, as the fuzz doesn't look like crystallization and it looks like the soft fuzzy mold that tends to grow easily on very moist potting soil.

There's not a lot you can do about the mold except from watering very sparingly. If this mold is only on the surface, you can just let the soil dry out well between watering and the mold will be kept automatically at a manageable level. However, if there's also a lot of mold underneath the surface, repotting in fresh soil may be necessary - if the roots haven't completely rotted already. In case you decide on repotting, just turn the pot upside down, holding the clump of soil upside down in the palm of your hand (the plant can stick out between your fingers). Gently shake or scrape (with your fingers) the soil off the root system as much as possible. Any rotted roots will come off this way as well, as well as some of the healthy, smaller roots. Obviously, this is a shock to any plant and it will take weeks to recover from this, if it can recover at all. Then rinse the roots in a tub of water until the soil has cleared off as much as possible. Repot in fresh soil, making sure the roots aren't all wrapped up in a tiny clump (very gently spread them out a bit). Water lightly to make the soil set around the roots and then resume a very sparing watering regime. But given the state this plant is in, I have my doubts if it will make it through a repotting endeavor. I think in your case, I would just put the plant on a regime of very sparing watering and keep my fingers crossed.

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

#21207514 - 01/31/15 04:16 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I will heed your advice! I thought I'd share another pic tho because I noticed some changes.. the plant is turning black :/

If what I just read is correct then that means too much water?

Edited by PandaBruja13 (01/31/15 04:20 PM)

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

#21230665 - 02/05/15 01:46 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Yup, it's definitely all turning black and dying. I appreciate all of your advice. My sister brought me this little guy today :smile:
Also unidentified

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #21232170 - 02/05/15 06:53 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PandaBruja13 said:
Yup, it's definitely all turning black and dying. I appreciate all of your advice. My sister brought me this little guy today :smile:
Also unidentified

Crassula ovata,commonly known as jade plant:thumbup:

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

Re: Any succulent experts? (need help identifying) [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #21233915 - 02/06/15 05:44 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

So it is :heart:

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #21236293 - 02/06/15 05:47 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PandaBruja13 said:
So it is :heart:

Now you have to marry me:heart:

OfflinePandaBruja13
Female

Re: Any succulent experts? (need help identifying) [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #21236799 - 02/06/15 07:41 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

You don't know me!!!

Invisiblekoraks
    #21238205 - 02/07/15 05:45 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, that's a casuals. I have several of them. They handle drought very well, but are much less resistant to too much moisture. Make sure not to water it to much, radically in that pot with no drainage. They also cannot stand frost at all

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #21238453 - 02/07/15 08:57 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PandaBruja13 said:
You don't know me!!!

I know,but I'd like to get to,you can come by and look at all mt lovely succulents:biggrin:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck