Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Updated Bottle Tek New and improved * 95
    #21168958 - 01/23/15 09:22 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

It's been a while since I first started growing mushrooms in bottles. I figure its time to update this tek with a few more options.

Bottle growing has been around for ages. It is used prolifically in Asia  for large commercial edible mushroom operations. over the last couple of years. I've used bottles for many edible, medicinal and active mushroom grows.

Over this time, I've noticed many benefits to this method of cultivation and only one real drawback. The only real down side to bottle growing is the number of containers it requires. loading, prepping and eventually washing tons of bottles can get to be a bit tedious. Now lets talk about the advantages. The biggest pro in my mind. Is that you can use basically anything mushroom mycelium will eat as your substrate. Since everything gets sterilised and stays closed until fully colonised. Highly nutritious substrate materials like dog food, bran or BRF can be added. another great benefit is the fact that no spawning to bulk is required. once colonised your mycelium never needs to be broken up. this makes contamination less of a worry. It also saves your mycelium from wasting energy on recovering after a shake. also the smaller contained substrates retain water better and have better bio efficiency for notably higher yields. it's also nice not having all your eggs in one basket. If you put one contaminated spawn jar into a bulk sub. the whole sub becomes contaminated. if you have one contaminated bottle sub. only that one bottle is lost.

I could go on and on about the benefits of bottle growing but I think that's enough bullshit for one  post. lets get to the tek.

choosing a container

You could really use any PCable container but I wil lis only 3 options.

* Ziploc twist N lock 1 quart PP5 plastic.

These are my current favorite. Simply because they allow for easy harvesting. even side pins are a non issue. when it's time to harvest just pop the substrate right out.

* Wide mouth pint mason jars.

These are my second choice. they also allow you to remove the substrate for easy harvesting. However they only hold 1/2 the substrate of the quart Ziplocs. they are a good option if you are growing on a smaller scale.

* Wide mouth quart mason jars.

I've used these a great deal with lots of success but as you can see side pins are a bit of an issue. they are a pain to harvest in general. they hold more substrate than pints and the tapered neck is handy for holding down your substrate when it comes time to dunk. Harvesting difficulties leave these guys as a last resort option for me.

Substrate options
The great thin about bottles is you can throw pretty much anything in them. Fore cubes I've used:
Dogfood
wheat bran
RGS
WBS
oats
wheat
popcorn
hemp seed
coir
vermiculite
shredded straw
coffee
whole wheat flour
BRF
dextrose
LME
manure
worm castings
gypsum
Basically if mushroom mycelium will eat it. It's good to go. feel free to play around with different recipes. Just remember. You need a good balance of nutrition and water retention. If you use nothing but grains and flours. You wont have enough water. Use nothing but coir or manure and there wont be enough nutrition.

I will give you 2 of my most used recipes. They each require there own preparation method. I separate my prep methods into 2 categories. Straw based and coir/manure based. I have a third method for edibles involving sawdust but this tek is written with actives in mind. there is a lot of info out there already regarding edible bottle cultivation.

Straw based bottles

Recipe for 10 quart bottles:

4 quarts of slightly packed shredded straw.

2.5 quarts of whole oats.

2 pints of wheat bran

1.5 pints of brown rice flour

1/2 pint of coffee

1 random ass small handful of gypsum.

Preparation

Step1
Measure out all of your dry ingredients and dump them into a large pot.

Step 2
Mix all your ingredients well and fill the pot with hot tap water.

Step 3
place the ot of ingredients on the stove and set it to high heat. bring the water to a hard boil. then reduce to medium heat and let the mixture boi for roughly 30 minutes. stir regularly to ensure the flour and bran don't stick to the bottom and burn.

30 minutes is just an estimated temperature you will know you're ready for the next step when the oats are plump, somewhat transparent and soft in the middle.

I like to leave them slightly under hydrated. this way they can absorb any excess water during the sterilisation cycle.

Step 4
Strain the water from your substrate mix. For this I like to use a 5 gallon pail filled with small holes.

I simply dump the pot into the pail. Spin the pail back and forth by the handle to work the water out of the substrate.

shake the pail for several minutes to let as much steam escape as possible. Now just let your substrate sit for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.to work up steam and redistribute moisture.

by the time your substrate mix has cooled it should be dry enough to use. It should be wet but not dripping wet. a SMALL amount of excess water is fin as the oats will absorb most of in during the PC cycle.

Step 5
Load your chosen containers with substrate. Don't over fill your Bottles. you want enough space on to for a good shake at inoculation and a casing layer at fruiting.

Step 6
put on your lids. for Ziplocs I use an un modified lid. I simply unscrew it roughlt 3/4 of an inch to alow for gas exchange.

If you are using mason jars you will need to modify the lid by adding a gas exchange hole covered with a filter. There are lots of good lid teks out there so I wont go into detail here.

Step 7
Cover your lids with tin foil and load your pressure cooker.

PC for at least 90 minutes at 15PSI I personally PC for 2 hours. better safe than sorry.

Step 8
once the pressure has dropped on its own. Remove your bottles from the PC. Give them a good shake and set them aside to cool. Once cool they are ready to inoculate.

Coir based bottles

Recipe for 8 bottles

4 cups of whole oats

4 cups of whole wheat

2 cups of wheat bran

1 cup of ground dry dog food (optional, may be replaced with more grain)

2 cups of vermiculite

160 grams of coir (1/4 brick)

1/8 cup of fresh coffee grounds

1/4 cup of gypsum

3.5 liters of tap water

Preparation

Step1
Mix your grains, dog food, bran, coffee and gypsum together in a large pot

Step2
Fill your pot with 3.5 liters of tap water. Mix it up, place it on the stove and bring the water to a boil.

Once the water is boiling lower the heat and set a timer for 30 minutes. stir regularly and maintain a nice light boil. You may need to add a small amount of water as it boils off but be carful not to add too much.

Step 3
Place your coir and vermiculite in a decent size tub or bucket. I wouldn't use anything much smaller than 5 gallons. Split your coir with a knife or screwdriver. then crumble and mix into your vermiculite by hand.

Step 4
Now that things have been boiling for 30 minutes. your grains should be plump and full of moisture.

Dump your pot of wet ingredients into the tub containing your coir and vermiculite. mix it all together really well and let it sit until it is cool enough to handle.

Step 5
Now that your substrate is cool enough to handle. get in there and really mix it up by hand. at this point your substrate shouldn't be too wet but it might be to dry. bring it up to field capacity by misting it with a spray bottle and mixing in the water by hand. The mixture should be wet but still fluffy. Pick up a handful no water should drip from it until you give it a good squeeze. even then it should only be a few drops.

Step 6
Scoop your substrate into your bottles. tap them on the counter as you fill them. to eliminate any air pockets. You want to leave a decent amount of space on top of each bottle. This will make it easier to shake things up at inoculation. It will also leave room for a casing layer when it's time to fruit.

Step 7
place a lid on each container and cover it with foil.

I used to modify all my lids by adding self healing injection ports and synthetic filter disks. now I leave my Ziploc lids un modified. Now I just unscrew them roughly 3/4 of an inch for gas exchange.

Mason jar lids still need to be modified but there are lots of good lid teks out there. So I won't go into detail here.

Step 8
load your pressure cooker and PC for at least 90 minutes at 15 PSI. I prefer to PC for 120 minutes. Better safe than sorry.

Step 9
Once the pressure has dropped to 0 on it's own. take your bottles out of the PC. Remove the foil and give them a good shake to redistribute moisture. If you are using plastic lids. be sure to tighten them before shaking. set your bottles aside to cool. I like to let mine cool in a tote or still air box. once they are cool they are ready to inoculate.
[url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/15-52/089347551-706496293-thumb_DSC00293.jpg][/ur]

Inoculation

Sterility is very important during this stage of the tek. It should be done in a SAB or in front of a laminar flow hood.

Step 1 Prepare yourself. You are the biggest source of contamination. Some people like to shower and brush their teeth or put on tyvek sleeves. Personally I just put on gloves and a face mask. then I cover my gloves in 70%iso alcohol.

Step 2
Prep your work station. Close all windows turn off all ventilation systems and fans. Basically just do what you can to eliminate air movement in your work area. Now mist the inside of your SAB with soapy water to trap any contaminants on the walls and floor of your SAB. There is no need to use bleach or peroxide. We aren't trying to kill anything. The key to a SAB is still air. Load your bottles into the SAB, mist once more and leave the room for a few minutes while the air settles.

Step 3
Choose your inoculant. I recommend using LC (Liquid Culture) or LI (Liquid Inoculant). Others have used colonised grain spawn with success. Agar wedges might work but colonisation takes a lot longer.

Step 4
Now that the air I your SAB has settled. Coat your gloves in 70% iso alcohol and wipe down each of your bottles with a Lysol wipe or alcohol soaked paper towel. you also want to wipe down your inoculating syringe at this point.

Step 5
before each inoculation it is important to flame sterilise your needle.

I prefer to use a butane torch but any flame will do. DO NOT wipe the needle with alcohol after flaming. The first few drops of inoculant to pass through the needle will cool it.

Step 6
My preferred method is to simply crack each lid for inoculation. If you choose this method. be sure to loosen each lid when you are loading your SAB. It can be a real pain trying to fight with a tight lid in a SAB.

Some people like to use Self Healing Injection ports or SHIPs.

Which ever method you use the process is basically the same. Inject between 5 and 15 CCs of inoculant into each jar. make sure the numbers on the syringe are facing you so you can deliver consistent doses of inoculant.

Step 7
Once you have finished inoculating your bottles. Take them from the SAB and shake them very well. This will distribute the inoculant more evenly throughout the bottle.

Label each bottle with variety and date. Then put them out of the way to colonise. I keep mine in the same monotub they will be fruited in. There is no need to incubate them or keep them in the dark. I try to keep mine between 68F and 75F during colonisation.

Step 8
Depending on the amount and type of inoculant used. you should see growth in 2 to 5 days.

full colonisation should be reached within 2 weeks.

Fruiting

These guys can be fruited in pretty much anything. SGFCs and green houses both work but I have found momo tubs to be the easiest fruiting solution for bottles.

Step1
Making a mono is really easy. I start by drilling 8 1 inch holes around the top a 6 around the bottom. I stuff the top holes with very loose poly fill.

I cover the bottom holes with 2 layers of eco felt but tightly stuffing them with poly fill works too.

this is how I make a mono from a 66qt tub.

Any size tub will work but the hole placement will be different with other sizes.

Step 2
Once your substrates are fully colonised. They are ready for fruiting conditions. I like to add a simple vermiculite casing layer at fruiting. Other materials like coir and jiffy mix will work too but vermiculite is the quickest and has given me the best results.  I have found that vermiculite is perfectly safe to use straight from the bag. If you are paranoid you can bake it in the oven to kill any molds that may be present. Take the lid off each bottle and spoon on 1/4 to 1/2 inch of vermiculite.

As you case each bottle. p,lace it in your mono tub.

Now give each casing a good mist. really soak them down.

Step 3
Your bottles can now be fruited. Put the lid on your tub and place it in your fruiting area. Your substrates require a decent amount of fresh air. the more you can give them with out drying them out the better. If you are forced to fruit them in a closet like me. Keep the door open as often as possible. The more substrate in each mono tub the easier it will be to keep humidity up. So load those suckers up.

You will need to dial your mono in for the correct balance of fresh air and humidity. If your substrates are drying out. tighten the top poly to raise the humidity. You want as much fresh air as possible though. So keep those holes as loose as possible without drying things out. If dialed in properly a mono tub should be pretty set and forget but don't be afraid to mist if things get dry. It takes some practice but eventually you will learn to read your mycelium. it will tell you what it needs.

Step4
Your mushrooms need light to develop properly. Specifically they need light on the high end of the colour spectrum. 6500K CLFs work great. So do florescent shop lights. Your lights should be on a timer. mushroom mycelium has a circadian rhythm. your grow will be happiest with a consistent 12hour on 12 hour off light cycle.

Harvesting and repeat flushes

Step1
If you were smart you used Ziplocs or wide mouth pins. in this case harvesting couldn't be easier. just pop out your substrate and cut off the fruits with a knife or scissors.

If you are lucky they will come of as one big cluster.

If you went with quart jars you may have a fight on your hands. I tend to just twist and pull my fruits out of qt jars. This can damage the substrate. so be carful. If you have side pins to deal with. a long kitchen knife can be used to get down inside the jar but it's a bit tricky. 

Step 2
After each flush it is important to rehydrate your substrate. first rinse off your substrate and the bottle with cool tap water.

Put the substrate back in its bottle, fill it with cool water and let it soak for at leas 2 hours. recently I have been soaking for 12 hours with good results.

After your substrates have been soaking for a few hours. give them one more rinse and put them back into fruiting conditions.

you should be abled to get 2 solid flushes from each bottle. You can go for more but yields tend to drop off pretty significantly after the second flush.

Well that's about it. If you do everything correctly. You will have lots of healthy fruits in no time.

Edited by MudaFuka (12/18/16 12:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: MudaFuka] * 2
    #21444255 - 03/22/15 06:55 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

This thread was moved from the user's journal.

Reason:
:fuckinawesome:

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) [Re: MudaFuka] * 1
    #21444298 - 03/22/15 07:11 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

im testing BE of popcorn and WBS (really millet) with these.  :tokeeporder:

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: cronicr] * 2
    #21444302 - 03/22/15 07:12 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

I fully endorse this service and/or product :thumbup:

Seriously try it, it kicks ass :rockon:

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #21444306 - 03/22/15 07:12 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

in.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Invisibleshroominmyroom
Grasshopper

Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #21444449 - 03/22/15 07:45 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

:flyhigh:

Edited by shroominmyroom (12/11/17 01:40 AM)

InvisibleBig Bear
Earf Child
Male User Gallery

Loc: In love, On time
Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: MudaFuka] * 2
    #21444498 - 03/22/15 07:58 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Fuck yeah man.  Great stuff.

:emotionalmoment:

--------------------
Need help growing? Ask AMU for hassle free answers.

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time...

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: Big Bear] * 1
    #21444502 - 03/22/15 08:00 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Big Bear said:

:emotionalmoment:

It's going to be ok, man.  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleBuck513

Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #21444531 - 03/22/15 08:05 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Muda at it again:awegroove:

--------------------
Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

Enter the Ban Lottery

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek (WORK IN PROGRESS) (moved) [Re: Buck513] * 1
    #21444537 - 03/22/15 08:06 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

:thumbup:

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: MudaFuka] * 1
    #21444559 - 03/22/15 08:12 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Is the 2 cups verm a personal preference or is it better than coir alone?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: invitro] * 1
    #21444584 - 03/22/15 08:18 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Coir alone works too. I've just been in the habit of adding verm to my coir for quite a while. It adds some minerals and helps keep the substrate fluffier. I'm not sure if it holds more or less water though.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #21444590 - 03/22/15 08:19 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

:levitate:

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #21444592 - 03/22/15 08:19 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

fine verm holds more water then coir:super:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: cronicr] * 1
    #21444604 - 03/22/15 08:21 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

:whathesaid:
Verm in general is a moisture retainer.

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #21444628 - 03/22/15 08:25 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

I've always read that and it's certainly true going by weight but by volume I think coir holds more. I guess that just depends on how compressed it is.:shrug:

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: MudaFuka] * 3
    #21444651 - 03/22/15 08:32 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Vermiculite's place in agriculture is to amend your soil with if you live in a dry climate, because of it's moisture retention capabilities.  In agriculture, perlite's recommended amendment usage is for if you live in a humid climate, because of it's moisture evaporation capailities..  How much of either of the aforementioned amendments should be added to a soil mix at any given time largely depends on the RH of your ambient climate/environment.  Mileage may vary.

--------------------

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: hamloaf] * 2
    #21444717 - 03/22/15 08:48 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/vermiculite-vs-perlite-49660.html
"Vermiculite can soak up 3 to 4 times its volume in water."

"Anno and Agar determined the ability to absorb water of both Perlite and Vermiculite. Agar soaked each 1 cup of medium grade perlite and vermiculite in water for 5 minutes, then drained for 5 minutes. They weighed both of the materials before and after the process.
It turns out that perlite absorbs 1.14 times its weight in water, whereas vermiculite absorbs 3.54 times its weight in water."

http://www.greenhouse.cornell.edu/crops/factsheets/nursery_container_media.pdf
coir is 79% water (maximum holding capacity)

"It can hold eight to nine times its own weight in water without becoming anaerobic"
http://www.just4growers.com/stream/growing-media/thinking-of-trying-hydroponics-then-try-coco-coir!.aspx

I think the variance in coir may have to do with how long the fibers are,
but based on my research coir is up to 2x as good as verm for water retention, but maybe fine verm is special somehow like cronicr suggested...

also I think it's worth a mention that coir takes 1 hour to fully hydrate IME.

Edited by invitro (03/22/15 08:56 PM)

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #21444756 - 03/22/15 08:56 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Beautiful work, muda. :thumbup:

Faht

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: fahtster] * 1
    #21444799 - 03/22/15 09:11 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

:takingnotes:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: MudaFuka] * 2
    #21444819 - 03/22/15 09:15 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

:youthemandawg:

Excellent write-up my man.

I was following this in your journal and I have several of these going now. I have some slight variations of it too.

Nice work Muda

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #21445045 - 03/22/15 10:05 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

I've got a lonely Texan in one of these. Good write up!

--------------------

:takingnotes:  AMU Q&A  :takingnotes:

If you don't have a plan of your own, you'll become a part of somebody else's.

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #21445049 - 03/22/15 10:05 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

I was following this in your journal and I have several of these going now. I have some slight variations of it too.

Nice work Muda

:cookiemonster:

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: blackdust] * 1
    #21445232 - 03/22/15 11:11 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

Nice work Muda

:cookiemonster:

InvisibleNumeroEno
I come from the land of lizards
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge Flag
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Mr. Alien] * 1
    #21445291 - 03/22/15 11:33 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

hell yeah man. I'm gonna attempt this post haste. :cheers:

--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: NumeroEno] * 1
    #21445317 - 03/22/15 11:41 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Muda :bow2:. I love his teks man.

OfflineDredgeMyEyes
Stranger

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Mr. Alien] * 1
    #21445512 - 03/23/15 01:00 AM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Five outta five fishy fireballs for yo' ass!

Good schtuff Muda!

Looks like fun, gotta try it!

Edited by DredgeMyEyes (03/23/15 01:01 AM)

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: DredgeMyEyes] * 1
    #21445523 - 03/23/15 01:09 AM (9 years, 9 days ago)

:threadmonitor:

Offlinemotherchimp
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Abshroom] * 1
    #21445871 - 03/23/15 05:58 AM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Absolutely love it. Going to have to start some in your name.

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: motherchimp] * 1
    #21446063 - 03/23/15 07:48 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

motherchimp said:
Absolutely love it. Going to have to start some in your name.

yeah :smile:

--------------------
But if you're in a hurry, and really got to go
If you're in a hurry, might have to find out slow
That it's one thing to try and another to fly
You get there quicker just a step at a time
It's one thing to bark, another to bite
The show ain't over till you pack up at night

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: filthyknees] * 1
    #21446070 - 03/23/15 07:51 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

You're killin it Muda! :rockon:

InvisibleBuck513

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: spacechildo] * 1
    #21446405 - 03/23/15 10:01 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Hey muda, not sure how familiar you are with stones but you should try your tek with atl 7 or p. Mexicana. I'd be curious to see the results

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Buck513] * 1
    #21448014 - 03/23/15 04:40 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Very nice, Muda.  You know I've been waiting for this to be finished and posted :laugh:

I'm curious about something.  Are you still making the totes into "monos" out of habit/familiarity?
One thing I thought is that the air exchange could be done differently and perhaps to some benefit.
The position for drilling holes in a monotub is because of the substrate level. With these, you could have the low holes just an inch from the bottom.
Also, whether you build the FC the same as a monotub, it wouldn't be a monotub used for this, as a monotub is not just a chamber but a growing method. You might not care, and it may not be a big deal, but I just thought to mention since for accuracy/clarity's sake I think the term would be tote fruiting chamber.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Violet] * 1
    #21448176 - 03/23/15 05:28 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

I think he is just repurposing his old monos, that's what I have been doing.

InvisibleBuck513

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #21448205 - 03/23/15 05:36 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

I'm tripping

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisibleFungus Mountain
Poke-N-Squirt
 User Gallery

Loc: Front row @ the Freakshow
    #21448234 - 03/23/15 05:49 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

:greatjob:

Have you notice any substantial yield improvements over the original process?

--------------------
“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”
George Orwell, 1984

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Fungus Mountain] * 1
    #21448288 - 03/23/15 06:07 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

THANKS everyone. I really appreciate it.

Quote:

Buck513 said:
Hey muda, not sure how familiar you are with stones but you should try your tek with atl 7 or p. Mexicana. I'd be curious to see the results

If you look closely you can see an ATL 7 label on the syringe I used in this tek. This is my first time using a stone producer though so I don't have any results yet. I think carcasex has used these for Mexicana though.

Quote:

Violet said:
Very nice, Muda.  You know I've been waiting for this to be finished and posted :laugh:

I'm curious about something.  Are you still making the totes into "monos" out of habit/familiarity?
One thing I thought is that the air exchange could be done differently and perhaps to some benefit.
The position for drilling holes in a monotub is because of the substrate level. With these, you could have the low holes just an inch from the bottom.
Also, whether you build the FC the same as a monotub, it wouldn't be a monotub used for this, as a monotub is not just a chamber but a growing method. You might not care, and it may not be a big deal, but I just thought to mention since for accuracy/clarity's sake I think the term would be tote fruiting chamber.

I thought about that too. Like Pasty said. I'm just using my old monos. I have a bunch of them and they seem to work pretty well. So I didn't bother messing with new hole placements.

Quote:

Fungus Mountain said:
:greatjob:

I'm using different cultures so It's hard to say if this way yields more. Me best culture gives me about 35 dry grams per bottle after 2 flushes with this method. That is better than I got with the original tek but the culture I'm using now is the best I have ever seen. Harvesting and cleaning out spent substrates is way way way easier with this method though.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#21448380 - 03/23/15 06:30 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Fungus Mountain said:

Since he didn't say this, I will:  A tote FC used this way will produce far more per time and space than a monotub could.

Yield per substrate may end up higher for a few reasons also, mainly not having to throw away the whole mono cake if it contams, but rather tossing the specific bottle.  Perhaps fewer total contams altogether due to a much stronger methodology with these containers.

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
I thought about that too. Like Pasty said. I'm just using my old monos. I have a bunch of them and they seem to work pretty well. So I didn't bother messing with new hole placements.

Yeah I was certain you were just re-purposing your old tubs.  One thought I had was that this tek deserves a description of a FC made for it, not for another.  And the main thing is, whether using a tote designed in such a way or designed like "monotubs", they're not monotubs when not holding a colonizing & fruiting mono cake.
It's used identically to the way I use totes, just as tote fruiting chambers.  Except due to the substantially more sub and myc in these totes, they do kindof need holes for airflow.

Edit:  I guess what I should have asked was, are you still instructing the FCs for these be made mono-style for those reasons.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Edited by Violet (03/23/15 08:25 PM)

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Violet] * 1
    #21448456 - 03/23/15 06:50 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Muda's new and improved poly-tubs only $19.99!

--------------------

InvisibleBuck513

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Buck513] * 1
    #21448928 - 03/23/15 09:16 PM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Buck513 said:
I'm tripping

I have no idea why I typed that. I don't even really remember doing it I was tripping BALLS at the time. Shit happens:shrug:

But okay muda, I'd like to see your results with stone producers:rockon:

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Buck513]
    #21453872 - 03/25/15 12:12 AM (9 years, 7 days ago)

Great work, MudaMudaMuda!

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: DirdyD]
    #21454047 - 03/25/15 01:54 AM (9 years, 7 days ago)

I'm feeling left in the dust not knowing about this thread til just now, saw a few tumbleweeds go by in that old one for sure though.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

InvisibleBuck513

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Inocuole]
    #21454074 - 03/25/15 02:18 AM (9 years, 7 days ago)

Inocuole said:
I'm feeling left in the dust not knowing about this thread til just now, saw a few tumbleweeds go by in that old one for sure though.

Hahaha:feelssadman:

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisibleBuck513

#21454153 - 03/25/15 03:08 AM (9 years, 7 days ago)

Muda your improved tek needs to be added to the amu q and a

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21455342 - 03/25/15 11:46 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Just finished the full flush on my pint bottle. I got 54.44 fresh off it which is pretty darn good for a little guy!

I bought a bunch of PP5s recently, both pints and quarts, and I'm going to inoculate a bunch of those soon and see what I can do with a full arsenal of bottles.

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: stareatclouds]
    #21455715 - 03/25/15 01:37 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Good job, star!

Edited by DirdyD (03/25/15 01:39 PM)

Offlineurthtown
meat popsicle
Male

Loc: Eastern Canadia Flag
    #21455958 - 03/25/15 02:51 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Very nice write ups Muda and a super easy tek to try out and modify to your own personal needs. I do my inoculations using spawn as a kind of G2G in the SAB and I use whatever bulk subs, grains and additives I have on hand. It's well thought out, well presented, easy to iterate with and it produces. :bow2:

:raisemyglass:

I'll post up some pics of my galindoi bottles when they fruit. :thumbup:

--------------------
Cluster Headache sufferer? Cluster Busting :thumbup:
Veil Tear GIF
Flower Pot Grow GIF
Mini Mono Tub GIFS

"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: urthtown]
    #21456001 - 03/25/15 03:02 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

:rockon:

nice

Offlinedabout
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21456039 - 03/25/15 03:12 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Inspiration...
My first grow is going because of the original thread.. Thanks muda...wish me luck..

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: dabout]
    #21456183 - 03/25/15 03:50 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

:popcorn:

OfflineMonty514
Male User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: dabout]
    #21456205 - 03/25/15 03:57 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

I'm going to try this once I move into my new place in a few months. Thanks for another awesome Tek! 5 stars for ya.

InvisibleE.FTS
Male

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Monty514]
    #21458006 - 03/25/15 10:48 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Whole wheat flour?

Offlinemotherchimp
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: E.FTS]
    #21458699 - 03/26/15 05:22 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Would you change this at all to use 2 quart containers?

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: motherchimp]
    #21458886 - 03/26/15 05:35 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

how do i miss the good threads like this for so long, and only click the stupid ones :facepalm:

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459126 - 03/26/15 05:52 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

E.FTS said:
Whole wheat flour?

No. I use whole wheat frome the same feed store that sells my whole oats. I started mixing in the wheat because it is less than half the price of oats which are already super cheap. My local TSC sell 55 lbs of whole wheat for $8 and 55 lbs of whole oats for $18.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineJeff Vader
Ineffable
 User Gallery

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: blindingleaf]
    #21459145 - 03/26/15 05:53 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

I want to try this tek, any issues PCing the Ziploc's? Ziploc's being plastic. Do you use cloth or the like to keep it away from the PC's surface or just straight in the water?

--------------------

“With four hundred milligrams of moksha-medicine in their bloodstreams, even beginners
can catch a glimpse of the world as it looks to someone who has been liberated
from his bondage to the ego.”

Edited by Jeff Vader (03/26/15 05:56 AM)

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459173 - 03/26/15 05:56 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

motherchimp said:

Certainly.
Just double up on sub the recipe, and the amount of inoculm used. 
Using a gallon sized jar inoculated with 60+cc's of thick ass LC.
Don't expect to it perform very well at fruiting, but it's all clean. 

Big Poppa!

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21388703#21388703

--------------------

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: hamloaf]
    #21459184 - 03/26/15 06:00 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

My local TSC sell 55 lbs of whole wheat for $8 and 55 lbs of whole oats for $18.

:oldman2:

thats still HALF what i pay from a mill.  WTF is going on here
how much is the 50 lb bags of rye up there?

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459187 - 03/26/15 06:02 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

motherchimp said:

No I wouldn't. I'm sure they would work but smaller substrates are more efficient. I've spent a good amount of time getting this tek to a place where I'm completely happy with the reasults. I don't see myself changing anything other than the odd substrate ingredients for quite a while. If it's  something  you are interested in you  should  try it though.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459199 - 03/26/15 06:09 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Jeff Vader said:
I want to try this tek, any issues PCing the Ziploc's? Ziploc's being plastic. Do you use cloth or the like to keep it away from the PC's surface or just straight in the water?

They are polypropylene. Just PC like normal. Between these bottle subs and pasty plates. I PC as many as 92 pp5 plastic  containers each week without issue.
Quote:

blindingleaf said:
Quote:

My local TSC sell 55 lbs of whole wheat for $8 and 55 lbs of whole oats for $18.

:oldman2:

thats still HALF what i pay from a mill.  WTF is going on here
how much is the 50 lb bags of rye up there?

I've only seen rye in liquid  for around here and it comes in bottles not bags.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: MudaFuka]
    #21459203 - 03/26/15 06:13 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

word.  my rye used to come from canada, but not sure what part.

how much does 1 qt of substrate weigh in this, not including bottle/pp5?

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459216 - 03/26/15 06:25 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

I can't remember exactly. I can get out my scale and check after work. I'm  assuming you want dry weight.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459236 - 03/26/15 06:40 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

well i wanted wet weight, but for sawdust, not coir.
my bad :crazy:

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459285 - 03/26/15 07:00 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

I can weigh one of my more recent sawdust bottles for you but it has been colonizing with lions mane for about a week and a half.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459312 - 03/26/15 07:12 AM (9 years, 6 days ago)

nice!!
that should be an awesome grow!!

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleE.FTS
Male

#21460527 - 03/26/15 12:29 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
Quote:

E.FTS said:
Whole wheat flour?

No. I use whole wheat frome the same feed store that sells my whole oats. I started mixing in the wheat because it is less than half the price of oats which are already super cheap. My local TSC sell 55 lbs of whole wheat for $8 and 55 lbs of whole oats for $18.

Noted. I just got back from TSC picked the 50 pounder of whole oats up was 20 bucks.

Hey quick question too muda, what type or kind of needles are you buying with your 60cc leur locks?? I saw the two packs of the syringes but it came with no needles  :um:

so I looked at the needle tips and there were about 20 different kinds.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21461233 - 03/26/15 03:49 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

20 bucks?  Our 50 pounders are 13 at TSC here.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21461321 - 03/26/15 04:05 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

I use 16 gauge needles. I think they are inch and a half but the longer the better really.
The price of grain seems to vary depending on where you live.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleBig Bear
Earf Child
Male User Gallery

Loc: In love, On time
    #21461360 - 03/26/15 04:13 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

How often do you have to refill those silicon ports Muda?  Really thinking about investing in a bunch of these PP5 bottles and runnin a GH.  I always have just opened my lids to squirt my LI in but those ports look so efficient.  I love how simple this TEK is.

--------------------
Need help growing? Ask AMU for hassle free answers.

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time...

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Big Bear]
    #21461654 - 03/26/15 05:15 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

I'm still on the fence about the silicone SHIPs. It is quick and handy at inoculation but I have never really trusted them completely and opening the lid is easy enough. On the weekend I was to lazy to prep and load my SAB so I inoculated a bunch of bottles threw the SHIPs in open air. It's only been 4 days but so far all the growth looks clean. I haven't refiled any of the ships on my qt lids or PP5 yet but I used a 14 gauge needle on a couple of my blender lid SHIPs and they got a bit trashed.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleE.FTS
Male

#21461706 - 03/26/15 05:24 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
20 bucks?  Our 50 pounders are 13 at TSC here.

Still isn't too bad I don't think. Im in a rural area too. Im sure I can get it cheaper somewhere. Cant find rye anywhere tho.

There is a co-op next town over. Never been to one I might see whats happeing there.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21461711 - 03/26/15 05:25 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

That's what's weird.  You'd think in a rural area it'd be cheap as fuck.  I got mine in a pretty big city.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21461725 - 03/26/15 05:28 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

For me rye is 4 dollars more expensive, and twice as far to obtain than whole oats for the same amount (50 pounds).

--------------------

InvisibleE.FTS
Male

#21461732 - 03/26/15 05:29 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

I was thinking the same thing. Ill check the co-op and post here what there prices are.

I mean, its only 5-7 dollar difference but I also have to drive 20 min into town as well.

edit: I also don't go through anywhere near as much grain as most people here. So it doesn't affect me that much.

Edited by E.FTS (03/26/15 05:30 PM)

Offline2001sdime
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21469032 - 03/28/15 03:48 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Would you recommend this recipe for gourmet varieties?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: 2001sdime]
    #21469258 - 03/28/15 07:16 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

I grow most of my gourmets using a similar method. I use qt jars full of hardwood sawdust supplemented with grain. The amount of grain I use depends on the species.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offline2001sdime
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21472930 - 03/29/15 01:34 AM (9 years, 3 days ago)

Thanks. I'll have to pick up some coir and more grain tomorrow.

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: 2001sdime]
    #21473531 - 03/29/15 08:31 AM (9 years, 2 days ago)

i get wbs for .37 cents a lb. and its a 2 mile drive. when i lived in the backwoods long ago the feed and seed stores would have huge 50lb bags for about 10-12$ so it was even cheaper. i never thought to try oats back then. but for me its more about convenience and price rather than the grain. granted the wbs may not be the best for edibles. but popcorn grain served me well in the past with oysters when i could get it for a good price. but that price went through the roof so i had to stop using it.

also 5 stars for the clean write up on this thread. i also can see a vastly improved technique from you muda. your a beast man! i got mad respect for you.

i also agree on opening the lid for the injection as you skip the step about flame sterilizing your needle between each inoculation. not to mention that the heated needle can easily melt that ship. sometimes the hole ends up being very big and you have to cover it. opening the lid and squirting it in there is like doing a g2g. same principle when i do the slurries or GLC i just pour. its easy enough and i don't see any increased in contam rate doing that. whether its in a SAB or a shmuv.

i havn't been able to try this bottle tek out yet. as i have not had any agar until recently. so i have some plates of oysters and multiple cubes from spore prints from 03 that actually germinated. i may give them a try with the LI and a bottle or 3. ive got some secret ingredients for supplements im messing with that id like to incorporate into the mix. right now im trying this ingredient in bulk.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (03/29/15 08:37 AM)

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: eatyualive]
    #21477201 - 03/30/15 01:11 AM (9 years, 2 days ago)

I'm seeing my first pins on my pint of PE. They're all side pins. Since 2 of my larger PP5s died out from bacteria, I don't think I'm generating enough heat to keep the chamber humid enough. I think I'll leave them in there and spray them down often since I don't want to setup my SGFC again.

I'm wondering if I should even keep the sub in the bottle at this point? If they're mostly side pins I feel like I should just plop it up and set it upright. Might dry it out though I fear.

My regular cubes are all forming on the side of the mouth or side pinning.

OfflineMushroom_J
Hard to the Coir !
 User Gallery

Loc: East
    #21477227 - 03/30/15 01:28 AM (9 years, 2 days ago)

Just curious... how many mixes did you go through before you came to your current recipe?

I'll be trying these bottles soon.

--------------------

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Mushroom_J]
    #21478256 - 03/30/15 10:56 AM (9 years, 1 day ago)

What nutrients does the dog food add? Would using brf or something like that instead be as good?

--------------------

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: RideAllBears]
    #21478262 - 03/30/15 10:58 AM (9 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

RideAllBears said:
What nutrients does the dog food add? Would using brf or something like that instead be as good?

:whathesaid:
Also what just came in my mind: adding a bit of brf and how about some coffee in the boiling grain water?

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Abshroom]
    #21478280 - 03/30/15 11:02 AM (9 years, 1 day ago)

You can just add those ingredients to the substrate mix.  Makes more of the aforementioned additives nutrients readily available to the mycelium when you add them to sterilized substrates.  The coffee don't even have to be spent.  The reason the coffee don't have to be spent is due to the sterilization of the substrates in prep for inoculation.  If you were spawning to bulk, you'd have to use spent coffee grounds, and wouldn't be able to safely add the brf.

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21478349 - 03/30/15 11:26 AM (9 years, 1 day ago)

There is fresh un spent coffee in the recipe. Add whatever you like. I throw in all kinds of shit. It just depends on what's handy.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

#21478353 - 03/30/15 11:29 AM (9 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
You can just add those ingredients to the substrate mix.  Makes more of the aforementioned additives nutrients readily available to the mycelium when you add them to sterilized substrates.  The coffee don't even have to be spent.  The reason the coffee don't have to be spent is due to the sterilization of the substrates in prep for inoculation.  If you were spawning to bulk, you'd have to use spent coffee grounds, and wouldn't be able to safely add the brf.

Why should it bd unsafe to use brf if u sterilize the whole Substrate? Shouldn't it increase yield because of the extra nutritions?

Edited by Abshroom (03/30/15 11:29 AM)

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#21478366 - 03/30/15 11:34 AM (9 years, 1 day ago)

He said it wouldn't be safe to use BRF when spawning to bulk, as in a monotub.  He's right.  You shouldn't have such nutritious sub uncolonized in unsterile environs.

Your question is right.  You can add BRF to a strrilized substrate mix if it stays sterile like these bottles.  It will increase your total yield, likely involving dunks to get it, since BRF can't easily be added wet.

--------------------

Violet's Teks and Posts

Offlineurthtown
meat popsicle
Male

#21479868 - 03/30/15 03:40 PM (9 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
Add whatever you like. I throw in all kinds of shit. It just depends on what's handy.

This is why I love this method so much. You can literally whip up a bottle out of so many different things and it produces awesome. My timothy hay, verm, coffee and brown rice bottles are on their third flush and I've already harvested 330 grams wet off three pint pp5s.

You could also work down to a specific recipe - which is essentially what Muda has done with his recipe. Just use what you have on hand and in stores convenient to you. :cool:

--------------------
Veil Tear GIF
Flower Pot Grow GIF
Mini Mono Tub GIFS

-- Croatian Proverb

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21480249 - 03/30/15 05:14 PM (9 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Abshroom said:
Quote:

hamloaf said:

Why should it bd unsafe to use brf if u sterilize the whole Substrate? Shouldn't it increase yield because of the extra nutritions?

he said it would be unsafe if you didn't sterilize the BRF and instead spawned it to bulk.

Quote:

If you were spawning to bulk, you'd have to use spent coffee grounds, and wouldn't be able to safely add the brf.

InvisibleE.FTS
Male

#21481449 - 03/30/15 10:28 PM (9 years, 1 day ago)

Shit...

So I just pulled my bag out to start Mudas Tek tonight. Bought my Ziplocs...I fucking bought rolled oats :facepalm: I lost my damn receipt too.

Can I salvage this or nah? I don't see why not seeing as it will be mixed with coir + dog food + coffee + wheat. The stickiness shouldn't matter I don't think.

Should I prep them the same way according to the Tek?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21481487 - 03/30/15 10:37 PM (9 years, 1 day ago)

For spawn rolled oats are a starchy nightmare but for this tek they should be OK. I've never used them though so I'm just speculating. As far as the prep goes:shrug:

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlinekushroom
Male User Gallery

Loc: I'm lost
    #21481612 - 03/30/15 11:09 PM (9 years, 1 day ago)

Man the pics of them flushes are beautiful!!

--------------------
:/

All submitted posts are by Someone Who Isn't Me (SWIM) -  and in any event are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated fictitious lies.

InvisibleE.FTS
Male

#21481846 - 03/31/15 12:40 AM (9 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
For spawn rolled oats are a starchy nightmare but for this tek they should be OK. I've never used them though so I'm just speculating. As far as the prep goes:shrug:

I just got done boiling as per tek. Its oatmeal with hulls in it pretty much. Sticky mess. Ill PC later on tonight.

Offlineurthtown
meat popsicle
Male

#21482470 - 03/31/15 08:10 AM (9 years, 23 hours ago)

Muda - I love these bottles dude!

--------------------
Veil Tear GIF
Flower Pot Grow GIF
Mini Mono Tub GIFS

-- Croatian Proverb

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: urthtown]
    #21482683 - 03/31/15 09:54 AM (9 years, 21 hours ago)

I was pretty sure someone posted here saying something about trying these with just straw and whole wheat flour. Was that post deleted? Another thread?

--------------------

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21483064 - 03/31/15 12:09 PM (9 years, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

RideAllBears said:
I was pretty sure someone posted here saying something about trying these with just straw and whole wheat flour. Was that post deleted? Another thread?

There's no write up for it yet. We gotta wait a bit longer. Should be worth it though.

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Grey]
    #21484073 - 03/31/15 04:33 PM (9 years, 14 hours ago)

Yah that's pasty's thing. I saw a prevent of it and it looks pretty  impressive.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21484417 - 03/31/15 05:43 PM (9 years, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
There is fresh un spent coffee in the recipe. Add whatever you like. I throw in all kinds of shit. It just depends on what's handy.

I understand and realize all this.  :thumbup:

Decided to start with the OG recipe with the addition of other additives and bulk sub materials had at the disposal, and expand upon this tek in using spawn bags instead of bottles/jars. 

Much more potential advantages using spawn bags as (here it comes...) the media vessel of choice over bottles/jars it's not even funny.  Like from fruiting invitro to removing the bag all together.  In spawn bags you are definitely NOT confined to only being able to fruit one way.

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21484507 - 03/31/15 06:05 PM (9 years, 13 hours ago)

I can fruit thes out of the bottles too but choose not to because they would dry faster and be more work to harvest. The BE is also higher with smaller subs but to each their own.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21484547 - 03/31/15 06:14 PM (9 years, 13 hours ago)

Thanks for the tips, but yea.  In the spirit of what I have laying around, I am going to try it.  I also have a humidity controlled environment, so the cakes drying up will be a non-issue for me.  Smaller substrates equaling higher biological efficiency is what has been discovered as well, and is why bulk substrates in monotubs are only made 1-2 inches thick.

:super:

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21485519 - 03/31/15 09:54 PM (9 years, 9 hours ago)

some stuff mostly straw

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21485537 - 03/31/15 10:00 PM (9 years, 9 hours ago)

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflinePistolsdrummer
Stranger

Loc: Maryland
    #21495228 - 04/03/15 04:48 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Just thought I'd chime in with my first muda bottles to reach fruiting stage. The 5 that currently have fruits are B+ and then there are 7 Penis Envy bottles and 4 Golden Teacher Bottles. Loving working with this tek and it's easy to adjust the substrate recipe to work with what you have. Thanks Muda!

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Pistolsdrummer]
    #21495511 - 04/03/15 07:38 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Nice. What size jars are thos? Pint and a half?

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleshroominmyroom
Grasshopper

#21495801 - 04/03/15 09:50 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by shroominmyroom (12/11/17 01:41 AM)

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: shroominmyroom]
    #21497358 - 04/03/15 05:30 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

definitely keep us updated!

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21498666 - 04/03/15 10:35 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

My little pint just pumped out it's 3rd flush so I tossed it. It wound up with 11.6 dry grams. I'm impressed with it. I can't wait to run a batch with the new method since I have tons of PP5s now. Thanks for the new write up, Muda.

OfflinePistolsdrummer
Stranger

#21502023 - 04/04/15 11:58 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, 1.5 pint. saw them at target, and had to give some mudabottles a try. I'll updte with more pics when there are some larger fruits

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21503277 - 04/04/15 04:57 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

InvisibleBuck513

#21503283 - 04/04/15 05:00 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

:thisisgonnabegood:

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

Offlineinvitro

#21505951 - 04/05/15 11:39 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I find that the more I fill a bottle, the more difficult it becomes to shake it for lc distribution. 
Currently I fill to 75%, and I would describe this as tedious process
80-85% it takes twice as long,
90% is torture.

I know it prevents side pinning but ... I don't want to deal with the extra it takes to distribute.  I'm almost tempted to fill 50%
and see how I like it. 

So for you guys that fill to the neck, any tips or tricks on making shaking it easier? 

I tried filling to the neck and dribbling lc down the sides but it took 3-4 weeks to fully colonize, I wasn't happy with that, colonization times were too long and inconsistent.

I also had a bunch of jars stall out a few months back because the myc went up t0 the sfd and covered it over, preventing GE.  These jars were filled to 95% and given the dribble/no-shake method.

Edited by invitro (04/05/15 11:40 AM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: invitro]
    #21505980 - 04/05/15 11:49 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I've been over filling my grain jars for a long time so I'm used to difficult shakes. I can't really remember much from my qt jars grows but with the qt pp5 I find anything over 80% becomes difficult to shake and often takes an extra week to colonise as a result.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleinsanemike

#21506047 - 04/05/15 12:07 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I think the trick to shaking the pp5 quart containers is to hold the container so that it's on it's side. Do not shake vigorously. Too much force will not allow air or gravity to work in your favor. Instead, shake with long, deliberate strokes that create a flow or rhythm. If done correctly, the contents almost become weightless and move from the top of the jar to the bottom. Make sure to rotate jar as you shake so that all sides have been well distributed. I filled my pp5's around 90% and had no trouble when shaking it this way.

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: insanemike]
    #21506060 - 04/05/15 12:12 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Once the jar is on it's side are you rotating horizontally or vertically?

Invisibleinsanemike

#21506078 - 04/05/15 12:17 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

invitro said:
Once the jar is on it's side are you rotating horizontally or vertically?

I'm not flipping end over end. I am simply rotating it as if I were rolling it on the floor.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21506572 - 04/05/15 02:38 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Is there a reason we don't slide the entire colonized block out of the PP5s like birthing a BRF cake?

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21506603 - 04/05/15 02:47 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
Is there a reason we don't slide the entire colonized block out of the PP5s like birthing a BRF cake?

Nope. If you want to go for it :thumbup:

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: tripdawg420]
    #21506751 - 04/05/15 03:36 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

How does casing with coir compare to to using verm?  Coir is like 1/4 the price for me.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21506772 - 04/05/15 03:41 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Its easy for it to be overrun. Consolidate well and put directly into fruiting after you case. It does make an excellent casing, nuce texture and easy to see if its getting dry.

OfflineE go death
Knowledge Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #21506828 - 04/05/15 03:55 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I'm a noob with a question about this bottle tek. Wouldn't more mushrooms fruit in something like a mono? Just seems like the more surface area covered with mycelium, the more fruits you could potentially get.

--------------------
We are the music makers... And we are the dreamers of the dreams.

InvisibleBuck513

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: E go death]
    #21506831 - 04/05/15 03:57 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

E go death said:
I'm a noob with a question about this bottle tek. Wouldn't more mushrooms fruit in something like a mono? Just seems like the more surface area covered with mycelium, the more fruits you could potentially get.

:ilold:

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #21506867 - 04/05/15 04:12 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I took a few out of the containers after they had flushed once or twice. They are doing OK. I only did it because I needed the containers for a new set of subs. I leave them in the containers to fruit for 2 reasons. The first is. They lose moisture more rapidly when fruited as cakes. The second is easy of harvest. Cutting the top off of each bottle to harvest is much easier than trying to get in and untangle the fruits from 14 different subs.

Some people seem to think more surface area means higher yeilds. I can say with the utmost confidence. I'd dose NOT. I have fruited large bulk subs as cakes with all 6 sides available for fruiting. I got amazing pin sets but the over all yeilds were no better because. Each sub only has so much available water and nutrition. In actuality this tek gives much higher yeilds than any mono tub.  A 66qt tub containing 14 bottles can yeild 12 ounces in the first flush and still produce another 6 or 7 in the second. Not many people get those kinds of yeilds from a conventional  66qt mono. It also takes less work and less substrate to fill a mono with bottles. So you get better BE and ROI.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21511282 - 04/06/15 05:19 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#21511297 - 04/06/15 05:22 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

brown spores? is it from crons BS?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: spacechildo]
    #21511511 - 04/06/15 06:08 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yah it's cons JAS rust. I've been working to get it stable. The first 2 grows I did with it gave me all purple spores. I'm on the 5th generation now and getting all rust spores.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#21511543 - 04/06/15 06:13 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Damn thats cool! :cool:

I remember a lot of people just got purple spores on their grows
and cant say I remember having heard much of it afterwards.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21512240 - 04/06/15 08:25 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Isn't purple the default color...?

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#21512265 - 04/06/15 08:30 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

yeah that's why it was disappointing on a culture that cron wanted to have brown/rust spores.
I'm talking about grows on special prints, not just standard grows. I see the confusion now :lol:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #21518897 - 04/08/15 10:30 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

:awesome2:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: 13shrooms]
    #21519539 - 04/08/15 01:45 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I'm pretty much following the tek, and using 1/2 inch of verm in glass containers.  Side pins...  I know it's been said but: pp5s are *highly* recommended for ease of harvest.

Invisibleinsanemike

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: 13shrooms]
    #21519553 - 04/08/15 01:49 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Muda, have you ever inoculated your twist and loc containers with a pf slurry? If so, how much slurry do you add to each container? I have eight 1/4 pint pf cakes I nocc'd up with LI last night (first ever pf cakes).

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21520036 - 04/08/15 04:09 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I've never used slurry for anything. I've actually never made PF cakes. The closest I came was ground oats and verm fruited out of short 1/2 pints.

Defenetly use the pp5s for this tek. They are worth the extra money. Not just for ease of harvest but for easy clean up as well.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflinePistolsdrummer
Stranger

#21522699 - 04/09/15 04:04 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Just thought I'd update my progress. I have picked a few fruits from two B+ jars, Golden teachers are coming along nicely and Penis Envy bottles just started fruiting

Offlineinvitro

#21523348 - 04/09/15 09:42 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

What do you see as the pros and cons of the 1 week consolidation time?

InvisibleBuck513

#21523841 - 04/09/15 12:00 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

This really is a cool tek. I need to try it soon.

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21524109 - 04/09/15 01:16 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

wtf is up with these fruits? Some of the caps are kind of falling off if I barely touch them and they're split down the middle so the inside has already been hit with tons of air. I'm really hoping it's not that verticillium shit fucking them up.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21524514 - 04/09/15 02:52 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Verticilium. Small malformed grey caps and slumped fruits.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21528438 - 04/10/15 11:54 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

As you can see fruiting these things like cakes would cause some real space issues if this FC were full.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21528482 - 04/10/15 12:05 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting. Do you figure you get less weight fruiting like that too?

Also I tried this updated method with rye berries since that's all I had. Heh, a sticky slop was the outcome, but fuck it, I'm PCing away now and I'll see what happens.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21528533 - 04/10/15 12:19 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I've only fruited like that with MS on later flushes so I can't say for sure if the yields are worse or not. I imagine they are close to the same but it's nice to have more controlled fruiting for harvest time.

I've never used rye. Oats, wheat and RGS all work WBS likely would too. Even if your rye turned out sticky it should still work with this tek.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21528656 - 04/10/15 12:55 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

That's what I'm hoping. The oat groats I used in my first go round came out a sticky mess like this and they all fruited beautifully. The only thing I was worried about is that it was so sticky/sloppy that I couldn't do a proper FC test. But whatever, we'll see.

I'm going to TSC at the end of the month so I can buy some whole oats and hopefully some RGS.

Offlineinvitro

#21530595 - 04/10/15 09:28 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

The glass pint + 1/2 glass bottles are an improvement over the glass quarts.  The cakes only slide out an inch at first, but as you finish the first flush, they can be jostled out (as the cake shrinks).  Still, pp5s are better of course.

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

#21533702 - 04/11/15 03:04 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Has anyone used the restaurant soup containers yet? I found some full quart pp5 ones (the lid as well) as well for 65 cents each. It seemed to have a tight seal.

--------------------

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21535598 - 04/12/15 12:52 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

So the point of tossing the grains in the hot water is to properly hydrate them right? And the other stuff is just to mix up properly so it's evenly distributed when it hits the coir and verm? So if I'm using another grain, such as rye berries (or those damn groats) that turn to mush when prepped with whole oats/RGS instructions, should I just prep rye berries the standard way and then mix them into the regular mixture later?

Sorry if that ran on. I mean like, prep rye berries with RR's prep method and get them ready for a PC cycle. But instead of going to jar and PC, I'd mix them into all the other shit in the tub/bucket/whatever and then jar > PC?

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21535609 - 04/12/15 12:58 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
So the point of tossing the grains in the hot water is to properly hydrate them right? And the other stuff is just to mix up properly so it's evenly distributed when it hits the coir and verm? So if I'm using another grain, such as rye berries (or those damn groats) that turn to mush when prepped with whole oats/RGS instructions, should I just prep rye berries the standard way and then mix them into the regular mixture later?

Sorry if that ran on. I mean like, prep rye berries with RR's prep method and get them ready for a PC cycle. But instead of going to jar and PC, I'd mix them into all the other shit in the tub/bucket/whatever and then jar > PC?

Can't speak for Muda but if it was me, that's exactly what I'd do.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21535748 - 04/12/15 02:30 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, not sure why I didn't just do that in the first place. I guess I didn't think of the point of him boiling/simmering his grain which I'd assume is to just get them at the proper moisture levels.

Going to do another run like that tomorrow, I think. Just heat up and mix all the other shit in a pot with the water, mix it with the coir and verm, and then hand mix in the grains when it's a bit cooler as to not pop or mush the rye berries.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21536437 - 04/12/15 09:06 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

yes. You should be able to prep any grain as usual and then just mix it in with the field capacity substrate materials. You can yous the soak/boil water to hydrate the sub materials too because it's all going to get PC'd with this tek.

What Muda has done is figure out a good amount of water to use for the grain, oats in this case, so he can just dump the whole pot in without having to strain and dry the grain separately. With some trial and error, you could do the same for any grain.

One cool thing about this is you have some room for error in the grain prep. If some of the grains pop, it's not a big deal because it's all going to be mixed together anyway. Also, you can make any moisture adjustments to the whole mix right before you put it in jars and the substrate creates a nice buffer for moisture content of the grains.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #21536477 - 04/12/15 09:21 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

:whathesaid: I'll add one more thing. By using my grain water to hydrate the substrate all of the nutrients from the grain make it into the substrate. When you prep your grain using RR'S method. You should still use the grain water to hydrate your sub.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlineinvitro

#21537165 - 04/12/15 12:37 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Some thoughts on using liquid coffee with this tek:

I have done bottles where I added a pot of coffee with the wbs soak, but didn't add coffee grounds, I used Dex/ME ms lc and first visual signs of recovery is about 4 days. 

I've done the same as above, and after the jars are packed, I've added a couple table spoons of straight black liquid coffee.  Recovery was severely stalled but ultimately a full recovery was made and after 4-6 weeks of consolidation performance was good, I want to say it better than good but I didn't record weights.

I made some with the mudas recommended raw(unspent) coffee grinds and a pot of coffee in the grain soak.  Recovery is severely stalled again.  Usually after lc inoculation and shake you might see 1000 points of recovery, well I'm guestimating I'm seeing about 5-10 points of recovery per jar.  I think I'll let them colonize to 15% and give them a good shake.

---

So it seems you can either go with coffee soak or raw coffee grinds (according to muda, and this might be what I do next)
But if you do a coffee soak and grinds(or double up on the coffee in the soak), it could stall the recovery, possibly with potential for greater yield down the line though.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21537476 - 04/12/15 01:55 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
:whathesaid: I'll add one more thing. By using my grain water to hydrate the substrate all of the nutrients from the grain make it into the substrate. When you prep your grain using RR'S method. You should still use the grain water to hydrate your sub.

That's a good point I would've overlooked. I think I'll just soak all of the rye with the nutritional ingredients at once, boil and dump straight into the tub of coir and verm, no straining/drying at all.

Can't wait to try this. Going to soak some rye right now for like 10 hours and get it done.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21537488 - 04/12/15 01:58 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21537620 - 04/12/15 02:27 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I had to halve the recipe since I only have 7 pint PP5s free at the moment. I'm going with the following:

Soaking Bowl:

Rye Berries
1 Tablespoon Fresh Coffee Grounds
1/2 Cup BRF
1/2 Cup Ground Dry Dog Food
2 Tablespoon Gypsum

Mixing Tub:

80g Coir
1 Cup Verm

Excited!

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21537662 - 04/12/15 02:34 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I'm thinking of using a few empty quart jars for this.  Fun

I'd like to use pre-sterilized WBS mixed with properly prepped verm/coir and inoculate with a bit of grain from a fully colonized jar.

What do you folks think?

I understand there is contam risk by winging it in this way, but should be fun regardless.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21537682 - 04/12/15 02:38 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

If you mix it in a SAB or in front of a hood it should work. Seems like a lot of extra work when you could just mix everything together, sterilise and then inoculate with some colonised grain.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21537710 - 04/12/15 02:41 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, my PC is just unavailable for a few days.  Otherwise, I'd give it a go.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21537739 - 04/12/15 02:47 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Mixing non sterile coir/verm with sterilised grain is really risky but it never hurts to try. Just don't get your hopes up.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlinetourrat
humanbeinganimal
 User Gallery

#21537812 - 04/12/15 03:04 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RideAllBears said:
Has anyone used the restaurant soup containers yet? I found some full quart pp5 ones (the lid as well) as well for 65 cents each. It seemed to have a tight seal.

Yep...have some going right now. My lids weren't even pp5 and they still worked fine.

--------------------
Knee deep in the hotel tub.....

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21537826 - 04/12/15 03:08 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
Mixing non sterile coir/verm with sterilised grain is really risky but it never hurts to try. Just don't get your hopes up.

I did this with heat treated CVG leftover from making tubs and they got maybe 40% and stalled then contaminated. I feel like anything with unsterilized coir in open air is a crapshoot with how dirty the shit is.

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21537865 - 04/12/15 03:19 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Is it that much riskier than doing a bulk grow?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538018 - 04/12/15 03:44 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think so, that's why I tried it. I may have just had a bad batch of coir or something. Or maybe my spawn wasn't clean. Others have done it successfully. I'd love to see your results.

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21538043 - 04/12/15 03:49 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, that was meant for Muda. 

What I mean is, is preparing the mix just as I would a sub for a bulk grow that much riskier when growing this way?  Basically just using the bucket tek to prepare the coir/verm for the bottles, just smaller amount, obviously.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538198 - 04/12/15 04:20 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, it's riskier, because with Muda's method you're truly sterilizing and then inoculating in safe conditions and keeping them in sterile conditions as they colonize. If you did it with just a bucket Tek or basic heat treatment, it's much more susceptible to contaminations. The reason you get away with open air with a tub is because all of the grains are colonized and have a jumpstart on anything bad.

I can't tell if you're talking about mixing colonized grain spawn with regular, heat treated CVG or uncolonized, PC'd grain with unsterilized substrate, so sorry if I'm mixing them up.

But as Muda said, don't know why you wouldn't mix it all together, sterilize at once, and then inoculate with whatever down the line in SAB/LFH.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538270 - 04/12/15 04:34 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

The thing that makes what you are talking about so risky is the sterilised/un-colonised grain being mixed with non sterile media. The coir its self is quite contam resistant but any contaminants that might be present in it will readily germinate on the uncolonised grain.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlinetourrat
humanbeinganimal
 User Gallery

#21538441 - 04/12/15 05:15 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

These bottles also make a perfect environment for contams...if things weren't sterilized I would think you would run into trouble pretty quick.

--------------------
Knee deep in the hotel tub.....

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21538602 - 04/12/15 05:55 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
The thing that makes what you are talking about so risky is the sterilised/un-colonised grain being mixed with non sterile media. The coir its self is quite contam resistant but any contaminants that might be present in it will readily germinate on the uncolonised grain.

Muda, all the grain would come from and be used only as an inoculant, with the rest consisting of the sub.  Only grain from a fully colonized jar would be used.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Edited by DirdyD (04/12/15 05:58 PM)

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21538613 - 04/12/15 05:57 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
But as Muda said, don't know why you wouldn't mix it all together, sterilize at once, and then inoculate with whatever down the line in SAB/LFH.

I've already said my PC isn't available at the moment.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538627 - 04/12/15 06:00 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, sorry about that, I missed it. Yeah, if it's fully colonized grain, it'd be fine to try. I asked exactly what you're asking in the old thread and people said it'd be a viable effort. It just didn't work for me, but small sample size, and there's tons of reasons other than the method to account for it's failure.

Offlineinvitro

#21538639 - 04/12/15 06:03 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

The risk seems about the same to me.

I wonder if you could steam sterilize these by putting them in a pot of boiling water and filling the water up to about 1/3 the way up the jar and putting the lid on.  It would be a good experiment, but it's probably been done before, maybe someone else will speak up.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538657 - 04/12/15 06:09 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Well he has sterilized and colonized grains already so he'd have to steam sterilize the PP5s full of the substrate, then mix in the grain later. I feel like that'd expose them WAY too long after the steam sterilization and basically undo the process. He'd need a big ass SAB or LFH to evenly mix this all in front of, no?

Maybe he could steam sterilize them altogether and then inoculate with LI, but I doubt that'd have a great success rate since PC goes to like 250F and steam sterilization is like 212F or something.

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21538706 - 04/12/15 06:21 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

If I do 1-3, which is all I'd do, I'd just prep the sub like I would bulk, clean the jars with various chemicals and finish the process in the SAB.  It's just a little side project, nothing major.

Anywho, I'm just looking for feedback from Muda himself.  One person's feedback is definitely enough for this.  Thanks for y'all's input though.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538725 - 04/12/15 06:25 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Oh shit. Your just spawning to bulk inside a jar that's fine, it's been done and it works. No need for an SAB then.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21538755 - 04/12/15 06:30 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Right on, Muda.

I didn't think to word it like that.  I'll do a search of similar grows and see what turns out.

Danke, danke.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538811 - 04/12/15 06:39 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DirdyD said:
Quote:

MudaFuka said:

Muda, all the grain would come from and be used only as an inoculant, with the rest consisting of the sub.  Only grain from a fully colonized jar would be used.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

That should be fine. Whether you mix spawn and sub together in a tub or a jar makes no difference. If you follow your regular pasteurization process and have 100% colonized grain, you can still mix them together in open air as usual. If this is your plan, I would just mix it all together and then put it in the jars/bottles.

Just keep in mind the guidelines for proper substrate prep. And no need for any special cleaning of the jars the way you are doing this; just wash with soap and water like monotubs.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#21538919 - 04/12/15 07:06 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

SBJ!
It's an honor to have you respond. :bow2:

Thanks for your input.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21538954 - 04/12/15 07:17 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

:asianofapproval:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Offlineinvitro

#21539066 - 04/12/15 07:53 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Apparently you can steam sterilize quart jars but it takes 8hrs to be effective (says RR).

Offlineinvitro

#21539453 - 04/12/15 09:19 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Some food for thought about coir and verm. 

I took some powdered verm and some powdered coir and hydrated to field capacity.
10g Verm took ~28ml of water, 10g of coir took 44ml of water.

This suggests that pure coir would be the sub of choice for the bottle tek.  I know it's been said that coir and verm together is the best combo, but it's also been said(as though it were fact) that verm holds way more water than coir, which doesn't hold true for me (I use fine coir in 5kg bricks though which might not be available to most people?)

So... research minded people, I'd like to encourage you to try it with all (fine) coir and see what your results are.

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#21539471 - 04/12/15 09:22 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

remember; the bottles aren't limited by weight, but by volume :super:

Offlineinvitro

#21539500 - 04/12/15 09:26 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Well, 5g of powdered verm and 5g of powdred coir take almost the exact same space (volume), so... all signs point to coir.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21539732 - 04/12/15 10:04 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I've always said coir holds more water. Despite what others have said. My experience has always been that coir holds more. I add verm to keep things fluffy and add a few minerals.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21539757 - 04/12/15 10:12 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I just loaded my PP5s with the new rye attempt. It came out much less sludgy, but I still can't get it to proper FC really. It's still a bit sloppy and sticky, but much better than last time. They're getting PC'd tomorrow morning and inoculated later tomorrow night. I have lots colonizing now so I hope to share some neat results soon!

Offlineinvitro

#21539769 - 04/12/15 10:15 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I use probably the finest grade coir out there and it's always fluffy for me.:shrug:

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21540462 - 04/13/15 05:54 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yah coir is pretty fluffy I just prefer the consistency with a bit of verm added. It really don't matter though. Use whatever substrate materials suit you. The difference in performance is really quite small from one substrate to another. I actually just toss in whatever I have handy. I'll be switching to manure and straw soon. Coir is too expensive.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineJerome09
Alchemist
 User Gallery

#21544082 - 04/13/15 08:52 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Should I shake this??

inoculated this Mudafukan Bottle tek with Grain to Grain

So should I shake it???

--------------------

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Jerome09]
    #21544187 - 04/13/15 09:15 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Your finishing colonization time will probably be about the same either way with or without a shake at this point.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21544323 - 04/13/15 09:53 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I'm probably wrong about this, but I feel like shaking bottles meant for fruiting is not as good at distribution as regular grain jars. We pack them in pretty solid and the shit clumps together easier so I feel like it wouldn't have the intended effect. I wonder if the man himself does so?

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21544326 - 04/13/15 09:55 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I found it really hard to break up the colony and decent distribution was near impossible.  Better to shake well at the start and let it go.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21544365 - 04/13/15 10:07 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

That's what happened with me. If the myc already has a decent hold, it's a huge pain to even try. I just let the shits do their thang.

Offlineinvitro

#21544562 - 04/13/15 11:16 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I fill the bottles to 75% specifically for ease of shaking, so its easy in that way.  I have huge side pin issues(wide mouth quart) though so I'm not recommending anyone follow in my footsteps. 

Edited by invitro (04/13/15 11:18 PM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21545125 - 04/14/15 05:36 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
I found it really hard to break up the colony and decent distribution was near impossible.  Better to shake well at the start and let it go.

:whathesaid: I never shake. I did it a few times early on and was not happy with the results. Even when I was able to break things up enough to speed up colonisation. I wound up with a lot of loose chunks and voids in my substrate. If you do a good job at inoculation. It's a non issue.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlinepyrojew666
Nose picker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
    #21545271 - 04/14/15 07:15 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

nice work~

Offlineinvitro

#21552568 - 04/15/15 07:10 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
Quote:

Pastywhyte said:

:whathesaid: I never shake. I did it a few times early on and was not happy with the results. Even when I was able to break things up enough to speed up colonisation. I wound up with a lot of loose chunks and voids in my substrate. If you do a good job at inoculation. It's a non issue.

Everything Muda said, plus I'll add this: for reasons unknown when you do a shake it seems like a few grains (wbs) on the very top of the sub simply don't want to colonize, or will colonize half-way.  This doesn't seem to happen when you start with enough inoculant.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21552875 - 04/15/15 08:28 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

My PP5s are all colonizing from the top with only a few specks of myc on the sides. I'm sure it's just a hazard of the rye clumping so when I shook, it just bounced around the top mostly. Oh well, I'll expect longer colonization times, but still a decent end product (hopefully).

Offlineinvitro

#21552888 - 04/15/15 08:33 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Clumping?  Pic?  That shouldn't happen, why is it clumping?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21552916 - 04/15/15 08:40 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

His rye got sticky when he prepped it. Those will likely take a while to colonise but should still work out in the end.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineMushroom_J
Hard to the Coir !
 User Gallery

Loc: East
    #21553062 - 04/15/15 09:22 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Here's my take on it.
BRF,CVG, and coffee grounds.
Going into fruiting as we speak.

--------------------

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21553496 - 04/15/15 11:49 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
His rye got sticky when he prepped it. Those will likely take a while to colonise but should still work out in the end.

Yup. But less sticky than the time before, so progress. Next time I do them I'm just going to skip the boiling altogether. Maybe heated a bit so it might mix easier with the C/V in the tub, but definitely no boiling.

Invisibleinsanemike

#21556359 - 04/16/15 05:24 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I have some reishi plates that are ready for transfer. I plan on making a LI and shooting up some pf cakes. I also plan on slurrying these pf cakes to muda bottles. I purchased a bag of oak pellets and a bag of alder pellets the other day. I figure I'll mix the wood pellets 50/50 and add in some hpoo and gypsum for good measure. Anyone know how much slurry I should add to each bottle? Should I adjust water content of substrate accordingly?

OfflineHierophant
Ritualistic Mystic
Male User Gallery

#21557491 - 04/16/15 09:53 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Whats up Muda? Glad to see the updated tek :thumbup:

--------------------
There is a golden book kept in my heart and guarded by my soul, written in Divine Light and bound with the veins of the Earth.

Offlineinvitro

#21571720 - 04/20/15 01:13 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I estimate (from the AA spec sheet) that you can get 14 quart sized twist-n-loc pp5s into a aa941, can anyone confirm this from experience?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21577610 - 04/21/15 06:42 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

My first batch of PE pints are ripping through the sub and nearing 100% in a few of them. I can fit 6 of them perfectly in my 27 quart mini-monos. Hopefully the roof is big enough.

The other batch of Albino AA+ are also starting to pick up (took a bit!). I'm excited! Unfortunately it looks like my quarts are stalling. :frown:

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21577641 - 04/21/15 06:49 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

If they stall but the top is fully colonised. Just fruit them anyway. If the uncolonised portion dose contaminate it shouldn't happen until after the first flush when the sub shrinks away from the sides. I've puled over a dry ounce from subs with uncolonised spots near the bottom.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21577729 - 04/21/15 07:05 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Honestly, they're just not showing really anything at all. I shook one of them up where I saw a few white spots. It actually looks like it could be contaminated already. I'm going to give it another week to see if anything comes up.

I'll try and snap some better pics later of the quarts that are giving me trouble.

Have you done any pint PP5s?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21577766 - 04/21/15 07:14 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I've got a few pint pp5s of pan tops going and a couple made with sawdust and Lions mane. I haven't done any with cubes that I can remember.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineForgottenFreshness
Staying High
 User Gallery

#21579241 - 04/22/15 06:56 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Thinking about modding this recipe to work with the following ingredients.

15lbs of Brown Rice

50lbs Wheat Grain

Vermiculite

Coir

Cat food.

25 1 pint ziplock plastic containers and 3 dozen 1/2 pint jars

Substrate recipe

Quote:

3- cups of whole oats.

3- cups of whole wheat.

6 cups Wheat Grain

Quote:

1- cup rye grass seed (cheep non coted lawn seed with  no fertilizers added).

Substitute with Brown rice or rice flour?

Quote:

1- cup of ground dry dog food.

Cat food or omit

2- cups of vermiculite.

Quote:

160-  grams of coir (1/4 brick)

How would you measure this from a 1KG/11LBS XL size coir block? (20 gallons expanded)

How much is this expanded? Possibly replace with vermiculite if I can't figure a way to include coir. 

Quote:

1/8- cup of fresh coffee grounds
1/4- cup of gypsum

Omit 

3- liters of tap water.

Edited by ForgottenFreshness (04/22/15 07:19 AM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: ForgottenFreshness]
    #21579310 - 04/22/15 07:32 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

For the coir. If you don't have a scale. I would just eyeball a little over an 1/8 of that big brick for a standard recipe. 1/2 that brick will do your 25 pints and 36 1/2 pints. Why are you omitting the gypsum?

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleinsanemike

#21579342 - 04/22/15 07:45 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Reishi on whole brown rice slurried to oats and hardwood pellet mix. I have been using a 60% grain 40% bulk substrate for these bottles. Seems to be a really good balance between the two. What do you think, muda?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21579362 - 04/22/15 07:54 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Looks good. That sounds like a lot of grain but I have fruited a few species on straight whole oat with good results. Should do fine.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleinsanemike

#21579423 - 04/22/15 08:13 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Do you have any tips on fruiting reishi out of a bottle? Should I case?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21579529 - 04/22/15 08:50 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I cased mine with verm and fruited in a mono for the first flush. I left the holes taped until I had a good amount of growth. After that I left the top polly pretty tight. For the second flush I moved them into my GH. They seemed to really like the extra FAE in the GH. I've only had 1 successful reishi grow so I'm far from an expert. My first attempt was in tubs and it dried out when I opened up the holes before pinning.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleBuck513

#21579546 - 04/22/15 08:56 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Muda I see you often mention casing with verm.
How's that been working out? Obviously well since you continue using it

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21579603 - 04/22/15 09:15 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I like it a lot. I don't have to prep it at all. I just scoop it right out of the bag onto my substrate and mist it. It's working for me so far. Some species requiem specific casings like peat moss to fruit. Verm is great for things like cubes that benefit from casing but do not require one.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleBuck513

#21579609 - 04/22/15 09:16 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

How thick do you usually make it?
I might try this when I fruit some cube trays in open air coming up

--------------------

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21579617 - 04/22/15 09:19 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

pretty thin. No more than 1/4"

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleinsanemike

#21579644 - 04/22/15 09:26 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
I cased mine with verm and fruited in a mono for the first flush. I left the holes taped until I had a good amount of growth. After that I left the top polly pretty tight. For the second flush I moved them into my GH. They seemed to really like the extra FAE in the GH. I've only had 1 successful reishi grow so I'm far from an expert. My first attempt was in tubs and it dried out when I opened up the holes before pinning.

I plan on fruiting mine in my green house. you mentioned that you kept the holes taped up until you had a good amount of growth. Is that necessary or can I just put them in the green house after they've reached full colonization?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21579652 - 04/22/15 09:29 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I would let them pin inside the bottles a bit before you put them in your GH.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleinsanemike

#21579686 - 04/22/15 09:39 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

:super: Thanks, muda.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21590621 - 04/24/15 01:34 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I saw an ad for this on Craigslist: "free bags of planer chips, sawdust, mixed hardwoods (ash, maple, walnut, cherry, sapele, bubinga)"

Obviously the sawdust would be great, but does anybody know about the other stuff being useful for bottles? I've never used anything but CVG, but am looking to expand, and it seems like a lot of you use wood-based subs for bottle grows.

Also my pints are doing great! The quarts I mentioned earlier def contamed so I dumped them.

Edited by stareatclouds (04/24/15 01:38 PM)

Invisibleinsanemike

#21590913 - 04/24/15 02:56 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Well stare, if your growing wood lovers, wood would be the most appropriate substrate :wink:. I think you could add just about anything in these bottles that your chosen culture would colonize. That's the exact reason I have headed in this direction, I love experimenting and I love the versitility of these containers. Use your imagination, it's all sterilized anyway.

Offlineinvitro

#21591123 - 04/24/15 03:46 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Cloud, earlier you said something about taking the cakes out to fruit them.  To which Muda responded the fruits would become cramped.
But.. what if you filled the gaps with coir so that only the top of the cake peeked through.  It might prevent side-pinning and free up your pp5s for re-use.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21591453 - 04/24/15 05:00 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

insanemike said:
Well stare, if your growing wood lovers, wood would be the most appropriate substrate :wink:. I think you could add just about anything in these bottles that your chosen culture would colonize. That's the exact reason I have headed in this direction, I love experimenting and I love the versitility of these containers. Use your imagination, it's all sterilized anyway.

I legit don't know what half of those woods are or how they'll come as the CL listing didn't say so. Just curious if anyone has direct experience with them as I know a lot of species love/hate certain types.

invitro,

I could definitely do that. It may be worth a try just for fun!

Offlineinvitro

#21591538 - 04/24/15 05:15 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Stare, in order to reduce the amount of space between each cake, flip half of them upside down so the fat part is on the bottom of half of them, you know what I mean, then they will fit in tight.

Invisibleinsanemike

#21592028 - 04/24/15 07:05 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Stare, anything hardwood; oak, beech, alder are the most popular. I am currently using a mix I created that contains 40lbs of the cheap feul pellets mixed with 20lbs of oak pellets and 20lbs of alder pellets. My shiitake are eating it right up. These are 6 days old.

I also have 8 reishi bottles colonizing with another 16 being PC'd as I type. After 3 days, the first 8 reishi bottles are starting to recover.

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21592142 - 04/24/15 07:34 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Do you use the Traeger wood pellets?

--------------------

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21592145 - 04/24/15 07:35 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Sweet. I'll probably grab the sawdust for sure and ask what size the wood chips are. I'd assume ideal is pretty dang small.

Invisibleinsanemike

#21592195 - 04/24/15 07:48 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Grey said:
Do you use the Traeger wood pellets?

I can't remember what they were called, so maybe. I purchased the 20lbs bags from a local hardware store, they were meant for smoking. I was waiting to come across real hardwood sawdust pellets and when I did, I snatched them up. They were sorta pricey but I had a cheap 40lb bag of fuel pellets lying around and said what the hell, lets stretch it.

I had those shittake dowels in the fridge so long that they completely devoured the dowels. Here I thought the shape of the dowel was poking out in various spots but when I opened the bag to inoculate with, I found they were actually primordia growing. So I made 3 muda bottles and made 6 pasty plates. The plates are looking good so far, nice thick growth.

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21592247 - 04/24/15 07:58 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Sweet man. I have shiitake 75 dowels in the fridge that were starting to form that bark.

I bought Traeger "virgin" Oak pellets from ace for $20. I couldn't find the hardwood fuel kind. Just curious if you'd tried them. Probably gonna try some reishi in pint pp5 bottles.

--------------------

Invisibleinsanemike

#21592287 - 04/24/15 08:07 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah. I believe those are the oak pellets I purchased, same hardware store where you got yours. They had alder pellets also. I got mine on sale for $16 per 20lb bag. The 40lb bag of fuel pellets were from tractor supply for $4.

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#21592608 - 04/24/15 09:30 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

When doing those shiitake bottles how long do you let them consolidate? And are you going to fruit in a monotub?

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Invisibleinsanemike

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #21592735 - 04/24/15 09:40 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I was planning on consolidating them for a month or two in a refrigerator before putting them into my green house.

supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#21592851 - 04/24/15 10:02 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I'm assuming that negates the need for a cold shock?

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Invisibleinsanemike

#21592887 - 04/24/15 10:10 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

:lol: it's a long cold shock.

supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#21593083 - 04/24/15 11:05 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

:super: Have you grown shiitake this way before?

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Invisibleinsanemike

#21593791 - 04/25/15 06:05 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Nah. I've never grown them before. What I was thinking was that I cannot keep temps low enough to fruit them so why not leave them in the fridge until they begin to fruit. I left the colonized dowels that these bottles were inoculated with in the refrigerator for 6 months and they began to develop mushrooms. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21593865 - 04/25/15 06:56 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Are you aware of the source of your genetics?  Not all species of Shiitake are exclusive to fruiting in 50F weather.  Some varieties of Shiitake will fruit in the 65-70F temp range. 

The reason your dowels developed mushrooms in the fridge after being in there for 6 months was NOT due to the climate, but rather over-incubation of the substrate.

--------------------

Invisibleinsanemike

#21593991 - 04/25/15 07:50 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the info, hamloaf. They're a cool weather strain. I purchased the plugs to noc up some logs outside but didn't need all of them so I left them in the refrigerator. I left them in the refrigerator because I didn't know if I could grow them in doors because of the fruiting temps. I needed the space inside my cooler recently so I figured lets give it a shot.

Invisibleinsanemike

#21598338 - 04/26/15 08:52 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

These are reishi bottles that I noc'd up with whole brown rice slurry 5 days ago. Yesterday these bottles were nowhere near this colonized. As in, a few spots here and there were white. Muda, what has been your average colonization time for reishi in these containers?

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21598568 - 04/26/15 10:28 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

MudaFuka won the ban lotto for this week, so he won't be back to answer any questions until next Sunday.

--------------------

Invisibleshroominmyroom
Grasshopper

#21598657 - 04/26/15 10:55 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by shroominmyroom (12/11/17 01:51 AM)

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21598866 - 04/26/15 11:55 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Oh damn, I was in it. I wondered who won.

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21628636 - 05/03/15 02:05 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

insanemike said:

These are reishi bottles that I noc'd up with whole brown rice slurry 5 days ago. Yesterday these bottles were nowhere near this colonized. As in, a few spots here and there were white. Muda, what has been your average colonization time for reishi in these containers?

I've never done reishi in PP5s. I just harvested a few qt bottles of reishi but I didn't weigh my harvest.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleshroominmyroom
Grasshopper

#21629031 - 05/03/15 07:49 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by shroominmyroom (12/11/17 01:58 AM)

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21629035 - 05/03/15 07:51 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Welcome back.

--------------------

Offlineinvitro

Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: shroominmyroom] * 1
    #21630728 - 05/03/15 03:58 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Muda, (or anyone else doing these bottles), about when do you normally expect to see some bottles get lost to trich?  Like after 2nd or 3rd flush how many bottles would you expect to loose?  Just curious to know what the norm is.

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21630782 - 05/03/15 04:18 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I've lost all my bottles after the second flush so far, but they've put out so much in the first two that the sub is trashed.

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21630790 - 05/03/15 04:21 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I've had a few trich out before the first flush. I'm assuming that was just a dirty LI. Normally I see trich in a few jars after the second and a few more after or during the third flush. My fruiting area is very dirty though (I have left a few too many moldy subs sitting around). Most people probably wont have mold problems as quickly as I do. Most of my bottles have produced well over an ounce after 2 flushes. So I'm cool with tossing them after the second.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Offlineinvitro

#21631212 - 05/03/15 06:23 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

My contam rate is about like yours Muda, I did some bottles without coffee (ms) but with coffee soak and the yields (roughly) have been about .75 ounces per bottle through 2nd and part of 3rd flush.  It's hard to tell where the flushes are to be honest.  Gotta try coffee grains some time for better yield, hard to draw any conclusions with ms though.  I'm happy overall, especially with the ability to remove a single contamed bottle and not loose the tub.

Edited by invitro (05/03/15 06:30 PM)

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21631261 - 05/03/15 06:37 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Most of my pints are ready so I think I'll fruit them tonight.

Muda, A few parts of the bottoms are slow to catch up. If they haven't stalled, but are maybe 90% done (with maybe a bottom corner the only uncolonized part), do you ever just fruit them anyway? I know you said you do when they stall.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21631545 - 05/03/15 07:44 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Invitro- It sounds like you are growing MS. My yields are lower and my flushes are very undefined with MS. This tek works best with a clone or isolate.

Stare- Yes if there is a portion of the bottom that is slow to colonise I just fruit it anyway.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineJerome09
Alchemist
 User Gallery

#21634394 - 05/04/15 11:46 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Is this tek possible with grain flour instead of whole grains?

I basically want to do a pf tek with coir instead of verm and this is the closest proven successful tek to what I want to a coir pf tek. 

In fact this is one of the only teks I have found using sterilized coir, which I like because I am afraid of trich contamination

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated Bottle Tek [Re: Jerome09]
    #21634433 - 05/04/15 11:56 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Yah flour works. I made a few with oats and wheat that I ground into flour. They did fine.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom