Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #21120265 - 01/14/15 12:22 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
The government bought the mortgages themselves.  I do not give a shit about derivatives.

Whether you "give a shit" about the derivatives or not, THAT'S what crashed the economy, THAT'S what CRomnibus will put taxpayers on the hook for, and THAT'S what you've been defending this whole fucking thread.  Do you support CRomnibus, or don't you?

By the way. the Government bought the mortgages so the banks could lend more money, not because they thought it would be profitable.

derivatives did not collapse the economy.  Bums not repaying their loans did.
Quote:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
If the people who borrowed money did what they were supposed to do, i.e. repay their loans, there would never have been a problem at all.  Derivatives, CDSs, hedges.  No problem.  Shitbags borrowing money they can't repay?  100% problem

Banks changing their lending standards was even more of a problem.  People who couldn't afford loans were talked into larger loans by banks so the banks could make a higher commission and then sell the loans to Main Street.  THAT was the underlying problem.

Talked into?  Are they not adults?  Should they be kept in sheltered workshops because they are too stupid to make their own decisions?  Fucking spare me.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21120839 - 01/14/15 02:56 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Whether you "give a shit" about the derivatives or not, THAT'S what crashed the economy, THAT'S what CRomnibus will put taxpayers on the hook for, and THAT'S what you've been defending this whole fucking thread.  Do you support CRomnibus, or don't you?

derivatives did not collapse the economy.  Bums not repaying their loans did.

The AIG bailout was to cover derivatives losses.  If they didn't deal in derivatives, no bailout would have been required.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #21120843 - 01/14/15 02:57 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

If the bums didn't default on the loans no bailout necessary

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21121005 - 01/14/15 03:39 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

And if the banks hadn't made all the subprime non-CRA loans, no bailout necessary.  :flowstone:

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21121035 - 01/14/15 03:44 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

If somebody borrows money and doesn't pay it back who is the asshole?  The lender or the borrower?  If the government encourages lending money to losers and then buys the paper who is the asshole?

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21121238 - 01/14/15 04:28 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

If
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
If somebody borrows money and doesn't pay it back who is the asshole?

If a bank loans money to someone it knows will struggle to pay it back, and then sells that loan to someone who doesn't know better in order to get rid of the risk, then the bank is the asshole.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21121284 - 01/14/15 04:39 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
If
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

If a bank loans money to someone it knows will struggle to pay it back, and then sells that loan to someone who doesn't know better in order to get rid of the risk, then the bank is the asshole.

No.  The defaulter is always the asshole

--------------------

Offlineshroom_sensai
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#21121320 - 01/14/15 04:49 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
If
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

:whathesaid:

--------------------
My Adventures Cultivating Mescaline Bearing Cacti

“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21121359 - 01/14/15 04:55 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
No.  The defaulter is always the asshole

In your opinion, which matters not.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
    #21121407 - 01/14/15 05:04 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

The defaulter is the asshole but the banks did wrong too. Its not like one side is an angel and the other side is the devil.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #21121414 - 01/14/15 05:05 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Fair enough.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #21121423 - 01/14/15 05:07 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

No.  It is always the defaulter who is the asshole.  We are talking about adults here.  The contracts for the loans are in writing.  This isn't some "I wasn't told" bullshit.  Yes you were.  Your signature is on a contract

People who do not honor their contracts are scumbags.  The banks honored their part.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21121451 - 01/14/15 05:12 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
People who do not honor their contracts are scumbags.  The banks honored their part.

You know that's bullshit.  The banks sold their risky loans to Main Street, disguising them with high ratings.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #21121477 - 01/14/15 05:17 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
No.  It is always the defaulter who is the asshole.  We are talking about adults here.  The contracts for the loans are in writing.  This isn't some "I wasn't told" bullshit.  Yes you were.  Your signature is on a contract

That's pretty much bullshit.  People default for all kinds of reasons that are out of their control.  You're way out of line with your sweeping generalizations.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21122049 - 01/14/15 07:28 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

You know that's bullshit.  The banks sold their risky loans to Main Street, disguising them with high ratings.

Main Street?  Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are Main Street?  Who knew?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Enlil]
    #21122060 - 01/14/15 07:30 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

That's pretty much bullshit.  People default for all kinds of reasons that are out of their control.  You're way out of line with your sweeping generalizations.

I do not care why they default.  Really, I don't give a fuck.  Anybody who borrows money and doesn't pay it back is a scumbag.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #21122104 - 01/14/15 07:35 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Then you may one day be a scumbag...any of us could be.  Not everything in life is a matter of choice. 

You really have reached the cliché point where you think that your success in life is completely because of the choices you've made and that everyone else could have made the same choices and have what you have.  That's fiction.  In real life, luck plays a major part, and one can make all the right decisions and still end up unable to repay a debt.

That doesn't make them scumbags.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlineshroom_sensai
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #21123051 - 01/14/15 11:13 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Then you may one day be a scumbag...any of us could be.  Not everything in life is a matter of choice. 

You really have reached the cliché point where you think that your success in life is completely because of the choices you've made and that everyone else could have made the same choices and have what you have.  That's fiction.  In real life, luck plays a major part, and one can make all the right decisions and still end up unable to repay a debt.

Absolutely right Enlil, life is unpredictable especially if you take out a 30 year mortgage loan. Say you're in 10 years then you break a leg. Go 6 months without work while you heal, and suddenly you're in default. Doesn't sound like a scumbag to me.

--------------------
My Adventures Cultivating Mescaline Bearing Cacti

“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

OfflineWebster10
Up like Trump
Male

Loc: Strawberry Fields Flag
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: shroom_sensai]
    #21123940 - 01/15/15 06:29 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroom_sensai said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

Absolutely right Enlil, life is unpredictable especially if you take out a 30 year mortgage loan. Say you're in 10 years then you break a leg. Go 6 months without work while you heal, and suddenly you're in default. Doesn't sound like a scumbag to me.

A capable adult can and should think into the future about all the possibilities of what could happen. If they think the risk they are taking is too big, they shouldn't have taken it. Ignorance and lack of planning isn't an excuse to borrow money and not pay it back. Imagine you loan someone $1,000. I don't know about you, but if someone doesn't pay that back, for whatever reason, they are an asshole in my opinion.

I seriously doubt anyone in this thread who thinks the defaulter isn't the asshole would be forgiving if they lent someone money and the person didn't pay them back.

--------------------
:leaf: :usa:

OfflineCoincidentiaoppositorum
deep psychedelic
Male User Gallery
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Webster10]
    #21123956 - 01/15/15 06:44 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ― Terence McKenna

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order