Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep * 29
    #21029762 - 12/26/14 08:48 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Disclaimer: There are a ton of oat teks now, and all of them have their benefits.  This is a tek you want to use if you don't like babysitting boiling/simmering grains, and you want to have as few burst grains and loose hulls as possible.  Also it's pretty good if you're lazy.  :wink:

It takes a little bit but if you're in no particular hurry it works predictably and reliably, should come out the same every time.

----------------------------------------

I've recently switched to oats and before I get into the prep I'll outline a few reasons why.

-The anatomy of the oat is a bit different from other grains in that the hull is separate from the bran and germ of the grain.  The outer hull of oat grains is noticeably harder and waxier (or at least more water resistant) than that of other grains, so it both holds moisture in well and prevents clumping.  Check out these two pictures.  The first, is a dry oat separated from its hull.  The second is a hydrated oat separated from its outer hull.  The hull is on the left in both pictures. You're basically making very moist nutritious oatmeal inside of hard capsules.
Look at that fat fucking oat.  You fat nutritious fucker

-They are incredibly cheap at feed stores. (Since this has literally caused confusion, I am referring to stores where you purchase whole grains to feed to livestock animals.  The cow says moo.)  I get 50lbs for about $13.00 even.  (Don't get them from a health store, they probably won't be truly whole)

-They are significantly easier to prep, as I'm about to illustrate, than WBS.  I can't say that with conviction for rye, because rye is balls easy, but this just might top it, maybe you can tell me.

-You would have to ride a short bus shorter than a hobbit amputee to be able to fuck up the moisture content of these, if you follow my meaning.

-In addition to being super easy to shake/break apart, these recover extremely fast from shakes and from G2G, most likely due to the hull protecting the mycelium that has colonized the inside of the grain. That layer between allows each grain to become effectively filled with a pocket of undamaged mycelium.  With some grains I have to wait 24 hours to even see if it's going to recover, but with these I'm seeing not just recovery, but new growth already, 24 hours after the shake.  Your mileage may vary due to genetics and such but these results were compared between WBS, rye, and oats using the same culture.  Oats beat the other two out in at least half the time.  (For the record WBS was faster than rye too.)

Here's the prep:

0.  For the love of fuck, make sure you have whole oats, they must have the hull intact, or you're going to make a sticky mess.  If they don't look like this, just eat them instead:

1. Take however much oats you want to use (anticipate them roughly doubling in size) and throw them in a big pot, I use my pressure cooker.

2. Boil water in a separate pot, or pots, or microwave it in microwave safe dishes, do whatever, just get enough boiling water to cover the oats with the same number of inches of water as there are oats at the bottom.  So double the volume, at least, so that you don't come back to partially hydrated oats on top.

Pour it in with the oats and put on the lid.  Leave it to soak for anywhere from 6-12 hours. (Huge window, right?)  6 is probably fine if you're eager to get it over with as well.  Just make sure that starting water is at a rolling boil before you dump it in there.  I would recommend about 12 hours for the most reliable results.  Could probably use cold water instead, and do up to 24 hours for a soak, as well.

4. Pull off the lid after the soak, drain out as much of the cold water as you can without losing any grains, or just dump the strainer full of grains back in the pot, whichever works for you. 
Before the drain it should look about like this:

And after pouring it away:

5. Pour the same amount of boiling water on the grains again, or rather, just enough to cover them about an inch, this time.

6. Take about 30 seconds to count the hair follicles on your pinky finger.  Start from the tip and work your way to the base, but only for 30 seconds.  This is the important part, don't fuck it up.
Man my stove is fucking filthy, that kinda happens when you work too much grain without wiping up and keep setting down shit covered in grain water.

7. Dump the water and the grains out into a strainer and let them steam dry by stirring/shaking them.  You can also lay them out on a baking sheet after straining them and run a fan to help dry them faster.  As with any grains, you want the surface to be dry, and for them not to stick on your hands.  I just look at my hand after I handle them to see if there are tiny droplets.  If not, they're fine.

8. Load em up.  :bongload:

*Also, you can skip 5-7 and just load them up a little bit wetter than normal. (Yes, I lied, step 6 wasn't important at all)  Not soaking but still lightly failing the paper towel test (getting the paper towel wet by putting the grains on it) is alright.  I wouldn't do this if the grains are very hydrated from your soak.  It's more for if you have them cleavable with your fingernail, but still white in the middle, without any grey.  If you see any grey, even just little grey spots in the white interior of the grain, it's too late to do it this way and you'll need to dry them all the way off.

Here's a finished jar, about 12 hours out the pressure cooker, still looking moist.  Condensation clears up after about 24-48 hours and they end up looking completely dry, at least until the heat from the mycelium causes more condensation in the jar.  It's the healthy kind though, don't worry.

And a jar that's almost finished colonizing.  Might see some WBS in there from the G2G.

That should give you a good idea of what to expect.  Mycelium just loves to rip through this shit.

I like this method mainly because, by not heating the pot that the grains are in, you prevent ~99.9% of burst grains from ever occurring.  In fact I attribute the loose "burst" grains I do find to having already lost their hulls, which you may have to wipe off of everything when you're done prepping:

It also manages to get them right at the optimal moisture content with little risk or room for failure.  It's got to be literally impossible to fuck it up. :shrug:

I tried heating these like RR's rye prep and they just got super sticky and it was bad news. They still worked perfectly but the prep was just a slight pain.  I guess I either stirred not enough or too much during the simmer.  But this prep fixes all of that and was much, much easier, and required less supervision.

NOTE/WARNING:  The producers pride oats from tractor supply worked well for me 1 out of 3 times.  The other two bags, I believe came pre-infested with weevils and were also extremely bacterial, neither of which I noticed until it was far too late.  I recommend looking for race horse oats, as they're reputed to be cleaner and less prone to bacterial problems than the producers pride whole oats.  I'm talking the kind of bacteria you really can't afford to fuck around with.  Culture ruining awful shit.  Throwing away 30 jars of grain, all with agar wedges in them that simply refused to leap off onto the grain is not a fun time.  -  4/15/2016

Edited by Inocuole (04/15/16 04:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: Inocuole]
    #21029779 - 12/26/14 08:53 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:rockon:

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #21029795 - 12/26/14 08:57 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: DonHoot]
    #21029859 - 12/26/14 09:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I wish I could find the bastards! Sweet tek, and I'll have to check out the feed stores for the oats. I've only been looking in grocers.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: Munchauzen]
    #21029866 - 12/26/14 09:17 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Anywhere people have to feed big ass animals you should be able to find a feed store.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21029869 - 12/26/14 09:20 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah there are plenty here. I've actually called all of them before, looking for rye berries, and nobody had any. So I guess I'll call again and ask for oats

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21029875 - 12/26/14 09:20 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I think they're a good bit more common, might have better luck.  Should be cheaper too.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21029912 - 12/26/14 09:29 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

fuck rye berries. I visited 2 Sprouts and 3 Whole Foods and only found them at one Whole Foods, which is 20 minutes from my house. And they were like $1.60 a pound. ha, like I will make that purchase again. Currently have some cheap ass WBS full of cracked corn, which I would love to replace.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21029918 - 12/26/14 09:31 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah whole foods is where I was getting my rye berries that kept going bacterial.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Loc: Canada Flag
    #21029923 - 12/26/14 09:32 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Just checked my supplier and all they have for oats is "hulled oats" which I'm assuming is no good for this.

OfflineLumiz
I'm a teapot

Loc: Luxury Tree Stump Condo
    #21030963 - 12/27/14 07:53 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the link man I'm sold on this 50lbs for that cheap shit count me in

--------------------

Lurk

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21031067 - 12/27/14 08:43 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DonHoot said:
Just checked my supplier and all they have for oats is "hulled oats" which I'm assuming is no good for this.

Nope, the outer hull of the oat is what it makes it so damn perfect.  I always thought oats were 100% useless because I honestly didn't even know that a whole oat consisted of an outer hull, I thought it was what you get at the health store when you get whole oats, which is everything but the hull.

Ah fuck I'm already halfway through another batch and I forgot to take pictures of the first few steps.  :lol:

I'm between step 3 and 4 so I can just pick up from there.  Most importantly I just want pictures of the oats before and after hydration so people know what to look for.

OfflineZEPH

Loc: Up
    #21031152 - 12/27/14 09:20 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Iv done wbs for years....and just switched to oats...omg so much eaisier than wbs....altho i preped mine diffrently... I put 6 qts in a pot btought up to a slow boil... And boiled for 38 minutes slow boil stiring every couple mins.... The only downfall iv seen with them is the hulls are so dry that it took about 12 days to see any gtowth from a syringe ms grow...
I think with agat wedges oats are going to be my grain of choice for sure...im fucking loving them... I did 10qts boil dryed pced in about 3 hrs total...anf at 15bux for 50 lbs cant beat it

Pe6 on oats... Germenation took forever...but going great now...

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: ZEPH]
    #21031168 - 12/27/14 09:26 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Nice, yeah I've inoculated using WBS as G2G, LI using Muda's tek, and just plain agar wedges.  Spores probably germ better on WBS than any other grain, it seems like. The agar and the G2G to oats took off like nobody's fucking business.  And G2G using oats as the donor recovers way faster than any other grain I've used, likely because the outer hull protects most of the mycelium inside the grain from harm.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

OfflineZEPH

#21031176 - 12/27/14 09:31 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Nice innocule ....oh and the besy part there not round like wbs so cleaning up spills is way fuckin eaiser lol

OfflineSleepAid
me gusta
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: ZEPH]
    #21031181 - 12/27/14 09:32 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

subbed

--------------------
Signature this, ho

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: SleepAid]
    #21031248 - 12/27/14 09:56 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Threw some pictures on that shit.
:vaped:

I'm gonna continue on from step 4 and finish my prep so I'll get some pictures of the grains right before I load them up and all that as well.  Definitely not enough compiled info about oats in the search engine, other than Fivel's thread, and some posts by Muda and VDG.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #21031275 - 12/27/14 10:05 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:slowreaction:

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

OfflineZEPH

#21031276 - 12/27/14 10:05 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah i had to ask a few peoplw how to prep them I just.followed mudafuckas advise..and it worked great..even boiling for almost 40 mins i might of saw 5 popped grains total.. I like this method cuz i dont ha e to soak grains for a whole day anymore... Eh we both know theres more than one way to skin a cat lol  glad you wrote this up tho more people need to discover oats..

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Prep [Re: ZEPH] * 1
    #21031296 - 12/27/14 10:13 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I'm seeing that the soak isn't even that necessary.  I just checked like 8 hours after I dumped boiling water in and the pot was still warm.  The hydrated grain picture came out of the pot after said 8 hour soak, before I ever added the second batch of boiling water.

I don't like boiling or simmering grains because I have to sit there and babysit them, stirring them and shit.  You can go this whole tek without stirring a single time.

BUT, the 24 hour soak didn't hurt the grains either so you can do whatever the hell you want, is really what it comes to.  Hence why it's impossible to fuck up.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale