Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. * 2
    #20986896 - 12/16/14 09:28 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

1.  Saves Space.

- In the limited space of the sterilizer, and spawning area, more grains can be sterilized at once, as well as, fit in the spawning area. 

2.  Broken Glass Will Cut You.

- If bags break you don't run the risk of being cut as you do when glass jars break.  Broken glass and being cut by it is one of the few job hazards of creating and generating your own spawn.

3.  Spawn Bags Are pliable.

- Colonized spawn in spawn bags is much more easier to be broken up into individual kernels while being gentler with the spawn at the same time.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: hamloaf]
    #20986923 - 12/16/14 09:34 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:firstladyofapproval:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Ether
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: cronicr]
    #20986950 - 12/16/14 09:41 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

3 major advantages of using jars over spawn bags

1.  Jars are durable and reusable over and over and over etc

2.  Easier to lose one jar to infection than an entire bag

3.  Easier to go G2G using jars than bags

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Dilated] * 2
    #20987027 - 12/16/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:nowaydude:

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Offlineshroom_sensai

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: wowimflabbergasted] * 2
    #20987053 - 12/16/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I am a bag believer. yes it sucks to lose a whole bag to infection, but not having to beat a million jars against a phone book, or a bike tire, or your hand, is worth it.

massaging the bags is just so much easier.

and bags are so cheap, who gives a fuck if you can't reuse them. the storage space alone for all the jars is annoying, and having to clean the jars out before reuse is annoying and very wasteful of water.

try moving and not getting weird looks from your neighbors when you carry 120 Quart Jars with Polyfil puff balls poking out the top. it's a big red flag for anyone who knows what to look for. i can put 120 bags in a little shopping bag and no ones the wiser.

plus if you get a trich infection you just chuck the whole bag, instead of trying to save your jars and inadvertently spreading trich to your whole grow area.

--------------------
My Adventures Cultivating Mescaline Bearing Cacti

“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

Offlineshroom_sensai

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: shroom_sensai]
    #20987062 - 12/16/14 10:06 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

post number 500!

--------------------

“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: shroom_sensai]
    #20987066 - 12/16/14 10:07 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

i like bags/jars and also the pp5's...i like the pp5's for storing and breaking up the grain is also super easy

for large projects though...bags all the way

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20987079 - 12/16/14 10:10 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I'm just playing devil's advocate here.  Both have their pros and cons.  I actually just spawned 3 bags today and I have 5 more tomorrow.  :thumbup:  Bags can get expensive if you're running a lot of tubs though.  A good mix of both can be deadly :awesomenod:

InvisibleMushiez
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: cronicr]
    #20987094 - 12/16/14 10:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I used to shake all my jars before g2g but quit doing so after spilling an assload of mycgrain on my hepa and work desk every time. Being the lazy dude I am now I just lysol a spoon and scoop. I've noticed the grains recover quicker this way for me at least. Bags would be really great especially with taller hoods too

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Mushiez]
    #20987291 - 12/16/14 11:01 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I think its best 2 keep a few shelves of both around :borfase:

--------------------

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD

InvisibleFuzz-nutter
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: shroom_sensai] * 1
    #20987603 - 12/17/14 12:54 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroom_sensai said:
... having to clean the jars out before reuse is annoying and very wasteful of water.

Cleaning jars! :ducklol:

Haven't cleaned a jar in over two years. I shake out loose grains, but I trust the pressure cooker will kill anything. There are some mean water stains on the jars now though haha. don't have any failures because of this

InvisibleFuzz-nutter
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Fuzz-nutter]
    #20987609 - 12/17/14 12:56 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I use both. Start with jars, g2g to bags, then try to figure out what to do with all the fuckers

OfflineBUK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Fuzz-nutter]
    #20987931 - 12/17/14 04:40 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I use both, but smaller home-made bags (polyfill filter through Coke bottle lid/shoulder and silicone port) that cost me less than fifteen pence a piece and hold a quart each (with lots of space for massaging). I'd have to reuse a Kilner jar about 15 times before it breaks even with that.

Offlinemidnightmaraude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: BUK]
    #20988019 - 12/17/14 06:24 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

just got 5 large grow bags in the mail the other day.  Looking forward to trying them out for the first time.

Offlineshroom_sensai

#20989995 - 12/17/14 03:33 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I do use quart jars but then immediately g2g to bags. I find it lowers your chance of losing bags to infection when you do it this way.

I wash my jars because I'm anal retentive about everything being clean and orderly. I obsessively label everything.

--------------------

– Terence McKenna

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20990017 - 12/17/14 03:37 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Since I built this nice FH I think Im gunna give bags a fairy chance, using jars for my masters.

How about using bags for stones? Whats the biggest bag you would use?

Im doing a big stones run soon and Id hate to tie up so many glass jars

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Mushiez] * 1
    #20990227 - 12/17/14 04:18 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mushiez said:
I used to shake all my jars before g2g but quit doing so after spilling an assload of mycgrain on my hepa and work desk every time. Being the lazy dude I am now I just lysol a spoon and scoop. I've noticed the grains recover quicker this way for me at least. Bags would be really great especially with taller hoods too

I'm curious as to how you shake grains all over your hepa and work desk every time. Do you use a lid?

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20990310 - 12/17/14 04:36 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yea man haha youre supposed to break them up and shake in the jar!!

:smile:

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflinePajama Cat
Stranger

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: mushpunx]
    #20990448 - 12/17/14 05:03 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Jars are also recycle.  Bags r one time use only.

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Pajama Cat]
    #20990523 - 12/17/14 05:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I find jars to be easier to work with then bags.

And I don't see bags as necessary unless you're growing lots of pounds.

--------------------

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20990532 - 12/17/14 05:18 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Quote:

Mushiez said:
I used to shake all my jars before g2g but quit doing so after spilling an assload of mycgrain on my hepa and work desk every time.

I'm curious as to how you shake grains all over your hepa and work desk every time. Do you use a lid?

:lmafo:

Do you even lid bro?

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: ganjfather]
    #20990535 - 12/17/14 05:19 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ganjfather said:
I find jars to be easier to work with then bags.

And I don't see bags as necessary unless you're growing lots of pounds.

Well.. alot of us do hehe

But I love quart jars and felt lids

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Mushiez]
    #20992474 - 12/18/14 12:25 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mushiez said:

:hahthatsrich:

OfflineBooner
Forever Learning
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas, Texas Flag
    #20992510 - 12/18/14 12:46 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroom_sensai said:
I am a bag believer. yes it sucks to lose a whole bag to infection, but not having to beat a million jars against a phone book, or a bike tire, or your hand, is worth it.

and bags are so cheap, who gives a fuck if you can't reuse them. the storage space alone for all the jars is annoying, and having to clean the jars out before reuse is annoying and very wasteful of water.

try moving and not getting weird looks from your neighbors when you carry 120 Quart Jars with Polyfil puff balls poking out the top. it's a big red flag for anyone who knows what to look for. i can put 120 bags in a little shopping bag and no ones the wiser.

plus if you get a trich infection you just chuck the whole bag, instead of trying to save your jars and inadvertently spreading trich to your whole grow area.

Seconded

--------------------
If you ever see me misleading another user please correct me and let me know where I'm wrong. I assure you I'm not doing it to lead someone astray, I'm doing it because I was led astray myself and it is not my intention to spread false information, but to come to a greater understanding in this field that is mycology. I urge you to re-teach me anything that I have incorrectly learned thus far.

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: mushpunx]
    #20992641 - 12/18/14 02:10 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
I'm just playing devil's advocate here.  Both have their pros and cons.  I actually just spawned 3 bags today and I have 5 more tomorrow.  :thumbup:  Bags can get expensive if you're running a lot of tubs though.  A good mix of both can be deadly :awesomenod:

Actually, the more bags you run/buy, the cheaper they get. 

Best deal I'v found is 1500 8x20 inch, large gusseted, 2mil spawn bags with .2, or .5 filter patch for $400.
That's about 13-15 cents a bag. 

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Since I built this nice FH I think Im gunna give bags a fairy chance, using jars for my masters.

How about using bags for stones? Whats the biggest bag you would use?

Im doing a big stones run soon and Id hate to tie up so many glass jars

A multitude of variables comes into consideration when deciding what sized bags to use for your projects.
Mainly personal preference.

I opt to use the largest bags as possible.
Even if they are not filled to the brim with grains, you can get a nice air plenum inside the remainder of the bag.
Large bags filled with sterile air from the flowhood greatly optimizes colonization.

InvisiblePsillyDoctor
Strangers

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: hamloaf]
    #20992886 - 12/18/14 06:27 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

i always seem to end up with a busted bag during pc cycle what are you guys doing to prevent this. i would much rather use bags. i got a 23qt presto maybe if i just do 2 at a time would be better then 4?

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: PsillyDoctor]
    #20992894 - 12/18/14 06:34 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PsillyDoctor said:
i always seem to end up with a busted bag during pc cycle what are you guys doing to prevent this. i would much rather use bags. i got a 23qt presto maybe if i just do 2 at a time would be better then 4?

I have a 23qt presto and run 4 lrg bags in it, spacers, lid rings etc to keep the bags from melting on the sides of the pc.  :thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#20992966 - 12/18/14 07:16 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
1.  Saves Space.

- In the limited space of the sterilizer, and spawning area, more grains can be sterilized at once, as well as, fit in the spawning area. 

2.  Broken Glass Will Cut You.

- If bags break you don't run the risk of being cut as you do when glass jars break.  Broken glass and being cut by it is one of the few job hazards of creating and generating your own spawn.

3.  Spawn Bags Are pliable.

- Colonized spawn in spawn bags is much more easier to be broken up into individual kernels while being gentler with the spawn at the same time.

4. 1 spawn bag can be used for the spawn run of 66qt monos thus limiting the risk of contams by using 1 bag instead of 5 - 10 jars. If the tub goes bad using 1 spawn bag then we know for a fact that the bag was bag. If we used 5 - 10 jars then we dont know if all the jars were bad or just 1.

:themoreyouknow:

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Dilated]
    #20992969 - 12/18/14 07:17 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:

G2G??? so outdated. Like the 90's bro. Open air LC bitches.

:bobmarley:

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: blackdust]
    #20993043 - 12/18/14 07:49 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
Quote:

Dilated said:

:freshwtf:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

OfflineBUK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: tripdawg420]
    #20993084 - 12/18/14 08:08 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Open Air LC? So last year. I'm working on something new: Toilet Bowl Tek.

So you've all heard, right, that a toilet bowl is actually cleaner than your kitchen? So I got to thinking, what if I threw some egg fried rice, left over from last week's take-away, in the bowl and just squirted some spores in? Of course it's not 100% contam free so I used, like, four syringes. It works! I don't know why anyone is messing around with 'aseptic culture' anymore. I'd take pics but my cameraphone is playing up. Might have to wait until I 'case' this...

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: BUK]
    #20993410 - 12/18/14 10:14 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BUK said:

So you've all heard, right, that a toilet bowl is actually cleaner than your kitchen? So I got to thinking, what if I threw some egg fried rice, left over from last week's take-away, in the bowl and just squirted some spores in? Of course it's not 100% contam free so I used, like, four syringes. It works! I don't know why anyone is messing around with 'aseptic culture' anymore. I'd take pics but my cameraphone is playing up. Might have to wait until I 'case' this...

Maybe even take a shit in it first....cubes just grow on shit, right?

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #20993501 - 12/18/14 10:40 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Seriously. Open air LC. Have the lids that have the GE and SHIP ports built in.

----
For example, I just PC'd a couple rye bags. I can then bring the PC to the table. Open the lid so I can just pop it off. Flame sterilize my LC syrige then proceede to quickly inject the rye bg with my LC with the bags still in the PC. This only takes a few seconds. Then I just tape up the bag where I inject my lc into. Then shack the bag around and have a fully colonized spawn bag within a week or two.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20993674 - 12/18/14 11:23 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

Dilated said:

Best deal I'v found is 1500 8x20 inch, large gusseted, 2mil spawn bags with .2, or .5 filter patch for $400.

Cheaper? explain how spending $400 or not spending $400 and just using jars is cheaper?  I understand your point hamloaf but if you're strictly depending on bags to fill up tubs, you ARE spending more money than if you had just used jars.  :shrug:

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #20993676 - 12/18/14 11:23 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:
Quote:

BUK said:

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: blackdust]
    #20993697 - 12/18/14 11:27 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
Quote:

Dilated said:

:facepalm:

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Dilated]
    #20993759 - 12/18/14 11:42 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

Dilated said:

Cheaper? explain how spending $400 or not spending $400 and just using jars is cheaper?  I understand your point hamloaf but if you're strictly depending on bags to fill up tubs, you ARE spending more money than if you had just used jars.  :shrug:

I have had over 120 qt jars at one time. A dozen jars cost about 12 bucks so that $120. Those jars took up the space on a 5 shelf book shelf. Bags, producing the same amount of spawn would only be as thick as a small book when not used. Hell, I got 15 bags for 10 bucks that would create at the min 75 qts of spawn. That same 10 bucks spent on jars would produce less then 12 qts of spawn. I like jars// I just dont like the space they take up.

OfflineBUK
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20993781 - 12/18/14 11:47 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:

Ah, you spoiled my punchline - that was my casing tek :grin:

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Executing TEKs... Flag
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: taGyo]
    #20993783 - 12/18/14 11:47 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

taGyo said:
Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:
Quote:

BUK said:

:yeahthatsfunny:

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:
"Additionally I did one Armageddon jar with all of the types together."

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: TheChief]
    #20993874 - 12/18/14 12:14 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a question.. how do you know how much a spawn bag will hold? Most of the sites sell small medium large etc..

How high should you fill it?

Cause I'm thinking if I can find a size that fits 4-5 qts Ill be able to go one master-one bag-one tub

Id rather just grow out extra plates and be more wasteful with my master jars, get faster colonization times less room for error in G2G etc

I found a few of these, what size do you think they are? Medium? How many qts is that

Thx

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Edited by mushpunx (12/18/14 12:25 PM)

Offlineharryskinflap
A Nut Sack
 User Gallery

Loc: a nice place
    #20993898 - 12/18/14 12:20 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroom_sensai said:

You make one hell of a case!

--------------------

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: harryskinflap]
    #20993918 - 12/18/14 12:27 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:thatsayes:

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:
"Additionally I did one Armageddon jar with all of the types together."

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20994438 - 12/18/14 02:31 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Here's a question.. how do you know how much a spawn bag will hold? Most of the sites sell small medium large etc..

How high should you fill it?

Cause I'm thinking if I can find a size that fits 4-5 qts Ill be able to go one master-one bag-one tub

Id rather just grow out extra plates and be more wasteful with my master jars, get faster colonization times less room for error in G2G etc

I found a few of these, what size do you think they are? Medium? How many qts is that

Thx

Depending on the size of the bag.
Large bags can house 10 quarts of grain, easy.

Inoculating 5 quarts of sterile grain with a half a quart of colonized grain spawn is a 1:10 spawn ratio.

Grab a tape measure and measure the length, width and height of that bag.
Measuring that bag will tell you what size the bag is (small, medium, large, ect).

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #20994468 - 12/18/14 02:36 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:

Depending on the size of the bag.
Large bags can house 10 quarts of grain, easy.

I get my bags from medseason an their lrg gusseted bags only hold 5qts max :shrug:

I prep 4qts and G2G another qt into them, just adding that is all.  not all large bags rae equal, depends on the source :thumbup:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20994539 - 12/18/14 02:49 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
Quote:

Dilated said:

G2G is not even close to being outdated. It's the preferred method of a lot of people, especially home cultivation hobbyists.

You are a fine argument for why LC is outdated and sucks. When you start posting some fruits instead of contamination, you will have more credibility on this forum. But for now, we all know you just talk shit, spread bad info, and really shouldn't be taken seriously.

:2cents:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20976878#20976878
Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20975553#20975553
Quote:

blackdust said:
Why does Azur get banned all the time? I'm prob the biggest troll in the cult forum but have never been banned. Y'all are playing favorites.

:kingcrankey:

Duly noted.
:douchewink:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

#20994554 - 12/18/14 02:51 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I think the G2G outdated thing was a joke.

Taking 1 qt jar and making 10-15 will never be outdated IMO.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: taGyo]
    #20994646 - 12/18/14 03:07 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

neither is taking the same 1 qt jar and making over 100 with LC, in open air. Y'all act like I just started growing a year ago. I have been in this hobby off and on for over 5 years. Have I gotten any fruits within the last year? Nope. just started back up about 2 months ago. Working with teks and equipment that I havn't used before. I;m getting a PC in a few weeks to satisfy my thirst of experimenting.

---
I will tell you like I tell everybody. For me, my preferred way that is repeatable and accepted is to make rye jars with MS. Then make LC out of those jars to grow several spawn bags/ Then spawn run with a coir/verm sub in monos and trays. Perfect results every time. Every-time in open air. It's so fucking easy that a noob would have better luck following this then a PF tek. IMO.

Spit, you been here two years...  Alot of people do G2G b/c thats what they have been told to do. I dont think ANY commercial growers would be working with G2G. It's all about the liquids. Why? Easy of use, production, cleanliness.

Just my 2 cents.

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

#20994656 - 12/18/14 03:08 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I'm pretty sure commercial growers G2G.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20994691 - 12/18/14 03:14 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

My bags are 19 x 8 x 4.5 ish
Is that considered medium? I wanna fit 5 qts in each m

Thx!

Yea I think Im gunna do my next run with the bags I have here and see what I think... I have a feeling Im gunna buy a bulk box of them though.

I thought they were expensive u ntill I realized how much you can fit in them

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Edited by mushpunx (12/18/14 03:18 PM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: blackdust] * 2
    #20994728 - 12/18/14 03:24 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I'm sure some commercial growers do use LC, but I bet they don't go MS to grain then GLC because it's too unreliable. And I know for a fact that most use agar.

I've tried LC and GLC and my personal opinion is that it sucks. Your posts, experiments, and lack of ability to grow mushrooms supports my claim. You can't grow because you are relying on an unreliable technique,but yet it's your favorite and you talk like it's superior. I'm just tired of reading all your bullshit.

This is not to say that people can't use LC, because I'm very aware that some people do with great results. These people have it figured out.

I'm just saying that "I personally" think they suck, don't use them, and don't recommend them. And I'm drawing attention to the fact that you are promoting something that you can't successfully do yourself. The ones that do use LC successfully, I don't argue with because results don't lie, however, you can't grow mushrooms so stop talking shit.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #20994737 - 12/18/14 03:27 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
however, you can't grow mushrooms so stop talking shit.

:ohgodwhy:

SBJ gettin' serious.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #20994858 - 12/18/14 03:52 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
I'm sure some commercial growers do use LC, but I bet they don't go MS to grain then GLC because it's too unreliable

no serious commercial grower should touch lc,vendors sell it because noobs buy it:super:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

#20994892 - 12/18/14 03:58 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

That's what I thought too. I've heard of vendors throwing out master jars that get too old so that makes me think that G2G is a big process for expanding their grows.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20994897 - 12/18/14 04:00 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I agree. I just can't know, if that makes sense.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

#20994945 - 12/18/14 04:10 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:yesnod:

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #20994972 - 12/18/14 04:15 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
I'm sure some commercial growers do use LC, but I bet they don't go MS to grain then GLC because it's too unreliable. And I know for a fact that most use agar.

I've tried LC and GLC and my personal opinion is that it sucks. Your posts, experiments, and lack of ability to grow mushrooms supports my claim. You can't grow because you are relying on an unreliable technique,but yet it's your favorite and you talk like it's superior. I'm just tired of reading all your bullshit.

This is not to say that people can't use LC, because I'm very aware that some people do with great results. These people have it figured out.

I'm just saying that "I personally" think they suck, don't use them, and don't recommend them. And I'm drawing attention to the fact that you are promoting something that you can't successfully do yourself. The ones that do use LC successfully, I don't argue with because results don't lie, however, you can't grow mushrooms so stop talking shit.

:raisemyglass:

Sounds like that dude did a grow 5 years ago and used LC, so hes sworn by it since.

This is 5 years later, g2g is the popular method because it's easy and consistently gives good results. I messed around with LC back in the day but found when a LC contaminates it can be hard to tell. And I've never lost a g2g jar, while I only use a SAB.

But as already stated, some people have LCs down and get much success using them. Can't argue with success, but I'd recommend newbs to start off with g2g.

--------------------

InvisibleMrGiraffe

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: ganjfather]
    #20995084 - 12/18/14 04:39 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I fit about 6 qts in an 18 (maybe 19" :shrug:) x 8 x 5.  If I pack it just right, I can fit 2 of those into my 19 qt PC instead of only 7 quart jars.  That's enough for 2 monos in one PC run.  Then I'll G2G those with another qt of spawn, making for 7 qts per bag.  I could stretch that qt of spawn further, but I dig the speed of colonization using the whole qt.  I'm not a one or the other kind of guy, I use them both.

--------------------

Offlineshroom_sensai

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #20995269 - 12/18/14 05:21 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------

– Terence McKenna

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #20995362 - 12/18/14 05:40 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Honestly I think newer growers are so into LC because with those special lids you could do your whole grow in open air like PF tek.

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:
I fit about 6 qts in an 18 (maybe 19" :shrug:) x 8 x 5.  If I pack it just right, I can fit 2 of those into my 19 qt PC instead of only 7 quart jars.  That's enough for 2 monos in one PC run.  Then I'll G2G those with another qt of spawn, making for 7 qts per bag.  I could stretch that qt of spawn further, but I dig the speed of colonization using the whole qt.  I'm not a one or the other kind of guy, I use them both.

Sick I have a bunch of these and a whole lot of masters almost ready.
Im gunna turn to the dark side and give these a try this spawn run!

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Offlineshroom_sensai

#20995378 - 12/18/14 05:43 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

make sure youve got an impulse sealer.

--------------------

– Terence McKenna

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

#20995381 - 12/18/14 05:44 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I also think LCs are so popular because they're so much quicker then spore syringes.

When someone begins their PF tek adventure the first thing they do is check their jar a million times and after a week get pissed off so they search for faster methods and end up with LC on their list. When I first started I guess I got lucky and made 4 successful semi-open air LCs. Propped a box on top of two shoe boxes, wiped everything down with alcohol and lysol and injected spores, then did the same to take them out.

Like I said,
Lucky as hell. All my LCs have germinated perfectly and I've used them on multiple grain jars and BRF jars.

I do recommend LCs for anyone who knows what they're doing. Once you get a good isolate an LC could help immensely in preserving and extending the lifetime of such an isolate.

Or you could do a G2G OR you could save an agar wedge OR a master slant.

So many ORs it's just up to preference :shrug:

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
AMU Q&A

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
    #20995550 - 12/18/14 06:18 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Honestly I think newer growers are so into LC because with those special lids you could do your whole grow in open air like PF tek.

you really shouldn't. SHIPs cant be sterilized so you'll end up pushing some nasties into the jar with your syringe.
same as for the pf-tek.

A SAB is so simple in all aspects I see no reason not to use one :shrug:

I think its more the "just a few drops of spore syringe into the LC and save your spores" thing
that gets newbs all wet over LC. Until they figure out printing and g2g,
or experience what a dirty lc can do..

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: spacechildo]
    #20995793 - 12/18/14 07:05 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

spacechildo said:
Quote:

mushpunx said:

you really shouldn't. SHIPs cant be sterilized so you'll end up pushing some nasties into the jar with your syringe.
same as for the pf-tek.

A SAB is so simple in all aspects I see no reason not to use one :shrug:

I think its more the "just a few drops of spore syringe into the LC and save your spores" thing
that gets newbs all wet over LC. Until they figure out printing and g2g,
or experience what a dirty lc can do..

Yea you're probably right cause I see that line on every mushroom supply site heh.
But I still think new growers are afraid of opening jars in SAB. People like sticking needles in everything

I was really excited when I first read about LC, I tried one once but it didnt grow very big at all. It didnt contam my grains but I just decided I liked knocking grains up w spore u ntill I learned agar.

I just dont really see the point in giving them a second chance cause I like plate-grain-G2G its fast enough for me

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#20995880 - 12/18/14 07:24 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroom_sensai said:

Shit is more pain than its worth.  I switched to zip ties.

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20995920 - 12/18/14 07:29 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:
Quote:

shroom_sensai said:

How do you tie it off, just twist and zip tie or is there a trick?

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20996007 - 12/18/14 07:44 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

also you can fit a gallon or more in each bag so one bag can be the equivalent of many jars. i do like me some spawn bags but i find myself a slave to the glass. if your doing liquid inoculations or using pf cakes to g2g to bags it is very easy to mix up once you put it in the bag. just move it all around with your hands. additionally you can also fruit right ouf of the bags and fruit pans invitro using bags.

so those are my few favorite reasons.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (12/18/14 07:46 PM)

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: eatyualive]
    #20996021 - 12/18/14 07:47 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
i find myself a slave to the glass.

Now that I see all the benefits of bags, I feel like a slave to the glass too.  :sad:

Edited by TheChief (12/18/14 10:49 PM)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: TheChief]
    #20996433 - 12/18/14 09:12 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

how bout we all stay on topic of bags vs jars pros/cons :shrug:

you guys highjacked the shit out of Hams thread..  :scarybeat:

play nice and stay on topic please :thanx:

:murray:

--------------------

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#20997616 - 12/19/14 04:23 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Quote:

MrGiraffe said:
Quote:

shroom_sensai said:

How do you tie it off, just twist and zip tie or is there a trick?

Not even twist.  Just bunch it up, and zip tie it.  You can fold it in on itself, but I haven;t found that matters much either way.  The zip ties can be pulled tight enough that it doesn't matter much either way.

--------------------

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#20998947 - 12/19/14 01:33 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

I'll be back. I have used GLC for hundreds of jars. I have also done hundreds of G2G jars. I would think I have at least a little idea of what I have done in the past. Here the proof. The pic is gone but is was a huge 5 self book self with over 100 G2G jars. StoneSun posted in the thread.

Nobody wants to use MS. It works but MS doesn;t allow for perfecting reliable results. Agar is very useful. Long term storage and Iso's are my fav abilities of agar.

:pantytail:

edit: forgot the linkLL: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11667970#11667970

Edited by blackdust (12/19/14 01:48 PM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20999228 - 12/19/14 02:54 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
I'll be back. I have used GLC for hundreds of jars. I have also done hundreds of G2G jars. I would think I have at least a little idea of what I have done in the past. Here the proof. The pic is gone but is was a huge 5 self book self with over 100 G2G jars. StoneSun posted in the thread.

edit: forgot the linkLL: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11667970#11667970

Thanks for the random 5 year old Stonesun post. I don't care what you did five years ago.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

#20999316 - 12/19/14 03:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Come on guys stay on topic.

Blackdust, Ultimately i've seen your post's and you are a very weird guy posting weird stuff that won't help anyone.

SBJ take a break from Blackdust. i know :facepalm:

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20999403 - 12/19/14 03:42 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

you can do 4 times the amount of tubs in half the time when using spawn bags :shrug: 1 jar 1 tub :thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
epic GT mono tub

wbs tek
coir tek

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: tripdawg420]
    #20999427 - 12/19/14 03:49 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tripdawg420 said:
1 jar 1 tub :thumbup:

You meant 1 bag 1 tub.

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20999434 - 12/19/14 03:51 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Alien said:
Quote:

tripdawg420 said:
1 jar 1 tub :thumbup:

You meant 1 bag 1 tub.

ya 1 jar  1 bag 1 tub :thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
epic GT mono tub

wbs tek
coir tek

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

#20999444 - 12/19/14 03:53 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

1 LI 1 Jar 1 bag 1 tub :thumbup:

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

#20999450 - 12/19/14 03:54 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

ya i dont know about :shrug:

--------------------
HUSTLER
epic GT mono tub

wbs tek
coir tek

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20999957 - 12/19/14 05:57 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

One bag to rule them all

This thread has swayed my mind. I have 5 bags laying around I never used so Im gunna try it

G2G bag to bag always sounded like a pain in the arse but when you put like this... I can just pour my whole master quart in one spawn bag and Im good....
Makes me wanna buy a case of them hahaha

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: spacechildo]
    #21000644 - 12/19/14 08:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

spacechildo said:
Quote:

mushpunx said:

same as for the pf-tek.

what do you mean? are you saying you can't sterilize them in the pc? ive used ships on jars for 8 years straight pc after pc on a weekly basis. i just injected 8 quarts about a month ago and had successfulgrows using some grain from  LI's injected into those ships.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: eatyualive]
    #21000736 - 12/19/14 09:02 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

no I'm saying after the PC run you cant flame your ship red hot before you inject the needle into it.
you can only wash it off with alcohol. that's why you shouldnt do it in open air.

so no lids has the advantage of not needing a SAB for inoculation. no bags either for the matter...

I know its easy to get away with doing it without a sab but since a SAB is so easily built and used I dont think you should NOT use one.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21001063 - 12/19/14 10:25 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I think its kind of a pain in the ass to make fancy ships and filters.

It is way easier to just crack the lid in SAB and put whatever youre innoculating with in that way yea?

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#21002037 - 12/20/14 06:11 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

spacechildo said:
no I'm saying after the PC run you cant flame your ship red hot before you inject the needle into it.
you can only wash it off with alcohol. that's why you shouldnt do it in open air.

so no lids has the advantage of not needing a SAB for inoculation. no bags either for the matter...

I know its easy to get away with doing it without a sab but since a SAB is so easily built and used I dont think you should NOT use one.

i inject inside the PC.

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21002166 - 12/20/14 07:50 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

How is inside the PC any more sterile than the air I just farted in?

--------------------

OfflineBUK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #21002175 - 12/20/14 07:56 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I fart in my PC

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #21002461 - 12/20/14 10:03 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

spacechildo said:

ah ok makes sense now. i thought you meant you could not pressure cook them.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21003018 - 12/20/14 12:33 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Spawn generated in bags is far more easier to handle/use than spawn generated in jars.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21003204 - 12/20/14 01:30 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I like the idea of bags. They take up less space, easier to mix up, fit more grains in a PC run, you're dealing with a few bags rather than a bunch of jars. They definitely have their pros.

But, I find them to be more of a PITA than jars to work with. I use a SAB and like the ease of just unscrewing a lid for agar or G2G. Sure, I wash the jars, but I have a dishwasher, so no big deal.

If I were growing on a larger scale, I would consider switching to bags and getting a flowhood. But, my small scale doesn't seem to warrant the switch.

It really is just a matter of preference and needs.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #21003241 - 12/20/14 01:40 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PirateSwazey said:
How is inside the PC any more sterile than the air I just farted in?

IF they are jars with SHIP's then I just pull off the foil and inject that second with MS. If it's a bag then I just inject the bag then cover with tape with the GLC from the jar made with MS. I guess this would be for a more advanced/experienced cultivator? IDK, I did this within the first couple months of growing. Just keep your clean cultures clean. stay away from the natural cultures. lolz

--
EDIT: sorry hamloaf. I'm not supposed to be posting. hehe

just say you in one of my old threads with RR about my petri dishs. lolz

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11865179/page/6

Edited by blackdust (12/20/14 02:28 PM)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #21005764 - 12/20/14 11:19 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
I guess this would be for a more advanced/experienced cultivator?

:callingbullshit:
:pleasetellmemore:
:knowwhatnevermind:

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: 13shrooms]
    #21005880 - 12/20/14 11:56 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Hey so how do you guys pack your spawn in the PC then? Can you roll it up and Rubber band loosely or do you need to have the bag fluffed up fo the steam to penetrate the filter

Thx

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#21006404 - 12/21/14 06:09 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I flatten out the excess bag, then accordion fold it down and use masking tape to secure it to the bag.  Pack it in and put a dinner plate on top to keep the from unfolding and blocking the vent.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #21006416 - 12/21/14 06:18 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Sawdust-Woodchips

just like in this vid clip (I skip the tyvek sleeves)

--------------------

InvisibleMrGiraffe

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: 13shrooms]
    #21006478 - 12/21/14 06:55 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yea I used the tyvek sleeves like once, it's a pain in the ass, and you end up wit sawdust/grain on the sleeves.  I haven't noticed any difference with not using them.  If you're going to use an impulse sealer, just make sure you keep the bag folded with it's creases as best you can.  Otherwise after PCing the bag opening will cool into a funny shape and make it harder to get the thing to fit into the sealer later.

--------------------

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21006956 - 12/21/14 10:12 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I've found rolling the top around the bulk of the bags to work best for me, but I use the presealable larger micron bags. When folding those accordion style I always had trouble with popping. I really prefer the preseal bags because there's no need for the tyvek or to seal them in front of the flowhood after sterilizing. Sometimes I won't get to inoculating them for a few weeks after I make them and haven't had any problems due to the larger pore.

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21007809 - 12/21/14 02:20 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Hey so how do you guys pack your spawn in the PC then? Can you roll it up and Rubber band loosely or do you need to have the bag fluffed up fo the steam to penetrate the filter

Thx

I do it just as 13 exclaims above.
The tyvek wrist sleeve allows for nothing but filtered air to enter the bags after sterilization if don't have a PC that pulls into a vacuum.
Bullet proof.

I also "cram" bags into the steroclave to be sterilized. 

This means I do not use jar lid rings as spacers or anything like that.
Bags are just stuffed into the steroclave, and pressure steamed for an increased amount of time (3 hours) at an increased psi (17-20).

Never seal a bag with an impulse sealer, or anything like that before loading bags into the steam sterilizer. 
Sealing bags before loading them into the sterilizer causes bags to burst.
Bags that burst inside of the sterilizer during the sterilization run are a waste of time, space, money, and materials.
They are a HUGE mess to clean up as well. 

Inflate the bags with sterile air from the flowhood after sterilization, during the inoculation of the bags.
Make sure all the gussets are not stuck together before inoculating the bags.
Immediately prior to inoculation, bunch up, and twist the tops of the bags like a closing a loaf of bread.
Next, tie the bags closed with zip, or wire-ties where the bag makes the twist.

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21007846 - 12/21/14 02:29 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
I'm sure some commercial growers do use LC, but I bet they don't go MS to grain then GLC because it's too unreliable

no serious commercial grower should touch lc,vendors sell it because noobs buy it:super:

The stametment made about "no serious commercial grower should touch lc" is actually backwards.
LC's place in mushroom cultivation is to exponentially expand mushroom mycelium mass using a lesser amount of space, materials, and preparation time. 
A serious commercial grower will gladly utilize liquid inoculation techniques to free up their time so they can manage other facets of their business. 
A serious commercial grower will also begin rounding the curve of LC's before doing commercial-scale cycles using liquid medium inoculation techniques. 

Noobs are more likely to inoculate LC's with spores and wonder why they more often than not breed contamination as a result.
LC's are best inoculated with a known clean, live culture on nutritious agar mediums from a petri dish. 

Also, a reason vendors sell LC's is because LC is an easy, cost effective way to expand a culture exponentially.
LC's are goof proof once you have your sterile technique down them.
Furthermore, a culture in a syringe is easier to ship, than a petri dish.
Slants are a little more effort to make, and go further, so they are going to cost 4 times as much as an LC.

I prefer to order the LC's, subculture them out onto agar, and begin isolation while inoculating and incubating a few sterile grain mediums to get some fruits while chasing a monoculture.

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#21008101 - 12/21/14 03:37 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:

LC's are best inoculated with a known clean, live culture on nutritious agar mediums from a petri dish. 

Also, a reason vendors sell LC's is because LC is an easy, cost effective way to expand a culture exponentially.
LC's are goof proof once you have your sterile technique down them.

:fuckyeahdance:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21008151 - 12/21/14 03:56 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I love lc myself but dont know of any comercial growers that use them, i am sure they are out there but none i know of lol...., fh's and g2g is all i have seen.

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#21008177 - 12/21/14 04:05 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Paul Stamets

Quote:

In contrast, liquid culture allows a cultivator to use as little as one mycelial culture from a single petri dish to inoculate hundreds of grain jars in a fraction of the time it takes with the above-described method. Of course, preferences vary with every cultivator. Mushroom tissue culture is a highly individualized art. However, FP promotes liquid culture as a revolutionary improvement over the more labor intensive, traditional methods.

http://www.fungi.com/blog/items/a-simplified-overview-of-mushroom-cultivation-strategies.html

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21008198 - 12/21/14 04:10 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21008216 - 12/21/14 04:15 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

That was posted Date: 04/01/1996

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#21008236 - 12/21/14 04:21 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

what are you reading ?
im on this book for today.
https://books.google.com/books?id=XO4EGzpp1M0C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

just finished Mycelium Running, The Mushroom Cultivator, and Growing Gourmet Medical Mushrooms.

:awethumb:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21008250 - 12/21/14 04:24 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I dont know what youbare trying to get at here? Nothing will beat agar and a fh, again nobody is saying lc doesnt work i use them myself but g2g in mine and most others opinion is a far better choice

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21008270 - 12/21/14 04:29 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I am getting off topic here though...apologies loaf

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#21008284 - 12/21/14 04:34 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
but g2g in mine and most others opinion is a far better choice

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: blackdust] * 1
    #21008306 - 12/21/14 04:41 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blackdust said:
Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

what are you reading ?
im on this book for today.
https://books.google.com/books?id=XO4EGzpp1M0C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

just finished Mycelium Running, The Mushroom Cultivator, and Growing Gourmet Medical Mushrooms.

:awethumb:

I'm reading meaningless posts by someone who can only grow contamination. The next things you should read are practical guides and steps to successful mushroom cultivation by any respected member of the shroomery.

It's just extremely hard for me to take you seriously.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#21008325 - 12/21/14 04:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:ohyou:

OfflineeLeSDenes
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21027324 - 12/26/14 09:55 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I also tried  spawnbags last week. It is a really convenient way of producing larger amount of shrooms over a short period of time. It is faster and more effective and I can fit 4 bags in my presto. Thats 20 jars in one run. One thing to remember is to shake the bag well after g2g to redistribute the condensated water from pressure cooking.The only question is, how many times can they be reused?

InvisibleMrGiraffe

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: eLeSDenes]
    #21027696 - 12/26/14 11:49 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I've sterilized bags 2x at most, they get pretty brittle.  If I run a bag through the PC, once I spawn it to bulk, I'll wash out the bag and save it to use as a pasteurizing container in the oven to get more use out of them.

--------------------

Offlineshroom_sensai

#21028038 - 12/26/14 01:11 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Hadn't thought about reusing the bags before, thanks for the tip

--------------------

– Terence McKenna

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21030609 - 12/27/14 02:04 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I don't reuse bags after they've been through the sterilizer, but I pressure steam bags with grains in them @ 18-20 psi for 3-4 hours.  Therefore, my bags' integrity has been ruined beyond the point of re-use.  I used to attempt to reuse bags after the sterilization run when I was a noob for a few rounds but quickly stopped doing that after popping holes in several bags while handling them.

I HAVE found that fresh bags can be reused up to 15 times to pasteurize bulk substrate materials before starting to degrade to the point where pinhole leaks begin to appear in the bottoms of the bags. 

--------------------

OfflineeLeSDenes
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21030837 - 12/27/14 06:00 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

For pasteurising, I still use the same bags i bought a year ago. They are very strong but don't know how strong they are after a PC cycle. I guess the high temperature makes the bags brittle and they pop. I made 20 spawn bags for stones so they are good for at least 3-4 months:) they take up less space as well like 20 bags is about 100 jars and i can easily fit those bags on 1 shelf. If they were jars they would take up 2 shelves at least. So i think bags are really good and i will use them whenever i can. It is so much easier. It is even easier than doing g2g. If you can g2g you can do spawn bags as well. I was a bit worried at the first batch that i was going to screw it up but if you follow the tek you should not have any problem.

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: eLeSDenes]
    #21031220 - 12/27/14 09:48 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, I'm not saying every bag after being used 15 times pops leaks in them.  Just that I have noticed that in my pretty vast experience with handling spawn bags for pasteurization (as well as running spawn in) is that if there is going to be any problems with reusing bags for pasteurization that the phenomenon seems to occur between 15-20 times of being reused.

I would also speculate that the frequency of the reuse of the bags comes into play as a factor determining whether or not the bags bust sooner rather than later.  If you have any doubts in your bags integrity you can always test them for leaks by filling them up with water and seeing if the bags hold water, or water leaks from a pinhole, or a multitude of pinholes.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21033011 - 12/27/14 07:05 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Hey does this look copesetic?

Just bunched up as tight as I could and zip tie?

Thx!

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#21033216 - 12/27/14 07:59 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21033286 - 12/27/14 08:23 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Aww yea
Thx

So rolling up the plastic will keep the water from seeping in the bag in the PC cycle?

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21039672 - 12/29/14 02:02 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Just bunched up as tight as I could and zip tie?

Looks like that should work.  I like to twist the ends of the bags up like closing a loaf of bread before the zip tie is installed. 

Quote:

So rolling up the plastic will keep the water from seeping in the bag in the PC cycle?

That and placing just the correct amount of water in the PC so that the water in the PC doesn't evaporate completely away during the extra sterilization duration required for larger substrates.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20813166#20813166

Prepare for a learning curve.  The skill set of adjusting the water level of the PC for the longer sterilization duration of thicker/denser substrates will take a few times going around the world with to get dialed in correctly. 

What kind of PC do you have?

The kind of PC you have will be a determining factor in the finding of the balance between how much water to put in the PC while not getting water boil up into the bags during sterilization while simultaneously achieving not boiling off all the water in the PC before the sterilization cycle is complete. 

The method of sliding a tyvek wrist sleeve down into the spawn bag(s) between the gussets, then folding the gusset(s) down "accordion style" is the preferred method of preparing spawn bags full of grains to be loaded into the steam pressurizer for sterilization for this cultivator.

OfflinePoint78
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #21039795 - 12/29/14 02:29 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Bag clips.

Fold bag over, lock in the plastic clip with the tubing.

I mail ordered them from some vendor, don't remember who?

I put the water a few inches up on the seed bags when I pressure cook.  I cook for 3hrs.
(Using the tyvek,  accordion method, the clips are for after the g2g, or pasteurization)

Edited by Point78 (12/29/14 02:39 PM)

Offlineshroom_sensai

Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: Point78]
    #21040607 - 12/29/14 05:51 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

cool, never seen those bag clips before

--------------------

– Terence McKenna

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #21040902 - 12/29/14 06:59 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

you can use large metal paper clips and reuse the bags. i still have my old sealer that i can use and cut then reuse. but, you just need to be careful that when you remove the paper clips, you don't poke a hole in the bag with the sharp end.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21040987 - 12/29/14 07:20 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Hamloaf- thanks for that post it was much encouraging

I gave these a shot the other day and seems like I did everything right except for the water level hahaha yep I melted part of my bag.

I use a presto 23 qt

Im definitly gunna give it another shot, I'm doing a bigger spawn run then usual and all my jars are tied and and its alot of work w all the G2g

Anywhere you recommend to buy bags from?

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21043280 - 12/30/14 10:05 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Presto23?  Damn, that's what I was afraid of.  :lol:

It's been four years or so since I'v ran a Presto23 with spawn bags.  If I recall correctly, I was filling up that PC about half full of water just to get a proper sterilization cycle, timeline wise (3hours).  Those damn things (Presto23's) evacuate water so fast, imo/e, they are worthless energy consumers that can't even pressurize to more than 15 psi.  My advice to you is to go get an All American Electric Steroclave.

The two things that make life a breeze in this hobby are a flowhood and an All American pressure sterilizer, and you are half way there with that flowhood of yours that you built, mushpunx.   

Man, I get my bags from SouthEast Mushroom Company.  They have great deals on super high-quality spawn bags, and what they consider large gusseted = 2 mil plastic bags measuring 9 1/2 inches long by 5 inches wide by 24 inches tall.  That's what I call a spawn bag.  5 gallons of hydrated bulk substrate materials will fit into each of these bags for pasteurization with ease.  These bags are also big enough to run 10 quarts of spawn in comfortably if you lay the bags vertical while they colonize. 

Myco supply has my least favorite spawn bags, and the price tag to boot.  Their "large gusseted" spawn bags only come in at 16 inches high.  They are also made of a thinner mil plastic.  Not sure what mil, but you can tell by just feeling them with your hands that the bags from SE Mushrooms are thicker.  MycoSupply is also generally more expensive than all other myco suppliers.

FungiPerfecti is taking over as my Myco supplier these days.  They are reasonably priced, and hell, it's Paul Stamets' business for crying in the night.  They have a great deal on 1500 2 mil spawn bags that are 20 inches tall with the option of .2, or .5 micron filter for 400$.  Picking those up next.  20 inches tall would be ideal for my needs (4 quarts of fully colonized spawn per bag). 

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#21043350 - 12/30/14 10:29 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Presto23?  Damn, that's what I was afraid of.  :lol:

The two things that make life a breeze in this hobby are a flowhood and an All American pressure sterilizer, and you are half way there with that flowhood of yours that you built, mushpunx.   

This statement needs to be quoted for all new growers to read. These are the two best investments for indoor mushroom cultivation. Of course their are other way to grow mushrooms but nothing will ever beat a solid flowhood and Pressure cooker.

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21043599 - 12/30/14 11:43 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

My only complaint about the AA-25X is they take so long to get to pressure...

I have 2 of those and wish I had sprung for a 75x instead :facepalm3:

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21043625 - 12/30/14 11:47 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Ill get there someday man, Im shooting to upgrade to all american but I think Id need to start a little lower on the food chain than the eletric. Its hard to  find them used, nobody wants to let go of them haha

Why do you run your PC cycle so long? I go closer to two hours usually 90 min. Is it different with spawn bags?

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21043649 - 12/30/14 11:51 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Might behoove you to look into an AA941 & a propane burner.

Sometimes I run a couple Presto 23qts on propane...

It really shortens the time to boil grain & build pressure in them.

--------------------

OfflinePoint78
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #21043666 - 12/30/14 11:56 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Don't forget 5gal paint strainer bags-those are the sh_t for steam drying after you soak the seeds!

Edited by Point78 (12/30/14 11:58 AM)

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21047550 - 12/31/14 06:51 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Why do you run your PC cycle so long? I go closer to two hours usually 90 min. Is it different with spawn bags?

Yes.  Different.  The thicker/denser the substrates are, the longer it takes for the core of the substrate to reach proper sterilization temperature.  The reasons larger substrates are sterilized for longer are explained in more detail in this thread here.  Various Autoclaving Times For Different Sized Substrates.

Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine
    #21047705 - 12/31/14 08:15 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

:smbfacepalm:

it doesn't seem like the original OP, but I just couldn't believe this is still kinda raging...
:lol:

did we all at least agree on the fact that it is all about ease of production and style of growing that should dictate type of spawn container?

Offlinewtfcrazymofo
foil hater
Other

Loc: Colonial alley
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: blojo02184]
    #24522320 - 08/01/17 08:42 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

What are a few good bag tek links to check out? Don't the grain have to be more dry than jars?

Jars < bags

--------------------
If you want to eat->https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Bag sealers are to bulky (my hood isn't that big)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28622922

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: wtfcrazymofo]
    #24525404 - 08/02/17 04:56 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Man, the best bag Tek hasn't been written yet, because I haven't written a Tek on how I do bags yet, haha.  Ok, really though, check out RogerRabbits spawn bag Tek/. It's in his video sample section called "Sawdust", as well as "Azur", "How I Get Down On Bags".  Both of those teks are pretty solid.  I do my bags more like RR.  As far as grain moisture content in comparison and contrast to bags vs jars, there are several factors that come into play when making the decision to err the grain moisture content on the dry, or wet side of field capacity (70-75% moisture content).  Species being grown, ambient environmental conditions, inoculum being applied, ect..

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 3 Major Advantages Of Using Spawn Bags Over Jars For Grain Spawn Running. [Re: hamloaf] * 2
    #24525662 - 08/02/17 06:52 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

4. you also don't have to clean any jars.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order