Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCj-B
All the same...I saw it first.
Male

Loc: The Library of Babel
Kentucky Route Zero
    #20975187 - 12/14/14 12:25 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I started this game up last night when I was on acid since I knew it was supposed to be a rather immersive story...and wow. I was totally blown away at just how incredible the writing and the vibes of this game were. Only 3 of the five acts are released currently but if the first act is anything to go by this game could easily become one of my all-time favorite stories in a video game. Just calling it a 'narrative-driven point and click' feels like I'm selling it short. Normally with story-driven indie games like this I can't help but feel they're reaching a bit too far with what they're trying to accomplish but Kentucky Route Zero hit damn near every note flawlessly.

Quote:

Kentucky Route Zero is a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky, and the mysterious folks who travel it. Gameplay is inspired by point-and-click adventure games (like the classic Monkey Island or King's Quest series, or more recently Telltale's Walking Dead series), but focused on characterization, atmosphere and storytelling rather than clever puzzles or challenges of skill.

The game is developed by Cardboard Computer (Jake Elliott and Tamas Kemenczy). The game's soundtrack features an original electronic score by Ben Babbitt along with a suite of old hymns & bluegrass standards recorded by The Bedquilt Ramblers.

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Processor: 1 GHz CPU
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: Direct X 9.0c compatible video card
Hard Drive: 250 MB HD Space

Anyone else played this? I'd love to talk to someone about it as I play through it some more.

--------------------
Steam - Sufficient Dakka - http://steamcommunity.com/id/boidsandtoitles

3DS Friend Code  1994-0764-2796

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCj-B
Male

Re: Kentucky Route Zero [Re: Cj-B]
    #20975366 - 12/14/14 01:12 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I've been in love with the aesthetic of KRZ since I bought Act I on launch day. Since then there have been two more acts, and two free "intermission" type self-contained experiences. The more I play this game the more I think the three guys (just three!) making this game are a) aliens b) from the future c) true geniuses.
I play a lot of indie games, and I love a good story game, but when I play KRZ it's like I feel like I'm watching a master at work. It's the same feeling I had when I was in art school and I'd watch someone who was truly talented working - it felt like we were all dabbing our brushes on the canvas, and this person, without doing anything mechanically so different from us, was pulling amazing images out of the canvas, seemingly effortlessly. In the same way, when I play Kentucky Route Zero, the visuals are so elegant that I've honestly never seen anything quite as beautiful in a game, ever. The writing, which even the best of games struggles with, is so effortlessly profound and hits me right square in the chest when so much game dialog comes off as cheesy or missing the mark. Even just the fact that you're going through a familiar looking dialog tree, except that rather than exploring the story, you're creating it (various choices are frequently mutually exclusive) seems inspired to me.
I realize that some people play KRZ and after 15 minutes they are like "meh, point and click adventure, pretentious dialog, no gameplay, no puzzles, slow pace" - and that's totally fine, it certainly isn't for everyone. but that said, I think that if you really get into it, KRZ is one of the best depictions of a magical rural landscape, a beautiful depiction of what it's like to get older and start living in your memories, an incredibly powerful statement on how debt can ruin people, and how individuals are ground down when faced with corporate greed. It does that while mixing in a love for bluegrass music, one of the most magical gameworlds I've ever seen, a beautiful homage to interactive fiction, and an incredible (oculus rift enabled) experience of both watching, performing in, and writing contemporary theater in The Entertainment, which was the post Act II coda.
The fact that three guys are doing this on their own after a kickstarter and are doing it better than just about anyone in game development right now (I can't think of anyone else, can you?) is completely insane and...maybe somewhat alarming? I feel like there should be lots of articles written about what these guys are doing, and I just see a few here and there.
Sorry for the wall of text, I just keep thinking about the incredible work Cardboard Computer is doing and I want to give them props/see if anyone else feels the same way.
TL;DR Kentucky Route Zero is so good (if you're into that kind of thing) that it's sort of scary. I don't know how three guys have made such an incredible thing, and I'm kind of freaked out by it.

- Stolen from some guy on reddit.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #20976780 - 12/14/14 07:42 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

A pixel hunt game? lol

OfflineCj-B
Male

Re: Kentucky Route Zero [Re: Konyap]
    #20976801 - 12/14/14 07:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Nah. Your objectives are usually pretty immediately obvious, as are the little side locations you can visit. Plus if you actually do (somehow) manage to get lost you get a convenient notes section that explicitly details where you have to go to progress the story.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #20976852 - 12/14/14 07:57 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I usually watch let's plays of that stuff and sometimes death reels.

I like the game Another World. It might be weird with computer controls.

OfflineCj-B
Male

#20976885 - 12/14/14 08:06 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
I usually watch let's plays of that stuff and sometimes death reels.

I like the game Another World. It might be weird with computer controls.

Normally that would be a functional method...but Kentucky Route Zero basically puts you in control of what sort of personality and pasts the different characters have. All of the dialogue choices directly affect the way the story is presented and told. They build the character's personalities and histories from the ground up. The reddit quote I stole pretty much sums it up. The Lets Play certainly works...it's just not how the game would proceed as YOU would play it.

Quote:

Cj-B said:
Quote:

I've been in love with the aesthetic of KRZ since I bought Act I on launch day. Since then there have been two more acts, and two free "intermission" type self-contained experiences. The more I play this game the more I think the three guys (just three!) making this game are a) aliens b) from the future c) true geniuses.
I play a lot of indie games, and I love a good story game, but when I play KRZ it's like I feel like I'm watching a master at work. It's the same feeling I had when I was in art school and I'd watch someone who was truly talented working - it felt like we were all dabbing our brushes on the canvas, and this person, without doing anything mechanically so different from us, was pulling amazing images out of the canvas, seemingly effortlessly. In the same way, when I play Kentucky Route Zero, the visuals are so elegant that I've honestly never seen anything quite as beautiful in a game, ever. The writing, which even the best of games struggles with, is so effortlessly profound and hits me right square in the chest when so much game dialog comes off as cheesy or missing the mark. Even just the fact that you're going through a familiar looking dialog tree, except that rather than exploring the story, you're creating it (various choices are frequently mutually exclusive) seems inspired to me.
I realize that some people play KRZ and after 15 minutes they are like "meh, point and click adventure, pretentious dialog, no gameplay, no puzzles, slow pace" - and that's totally fine, it certainly isn't for everyone. but that said, I think that if you really get into it, KRZ is one of the best depictions of a magical rural landscape, a beautiful depiction of what it's like to get older and start living in your memories, an incredibly powerful statement on how debt can ruin people, and how individuals are ground down when faced with corporate greed. It does that while mixing in a love for bluegrass music, one of the most magical gameworlds I've ever seen, a beautiful homage to interactive fiction, and an incredible (oculus rift enabled) experience of both watching, performing in, and writing contemporary theater in The Entertainment, which was the post Act II coda.

The fact that three guys are doing this on their own after a kickstarter and are doing it better than just about anyone in game development right now (I can't think of anyone else, can you?) is completely insane and...maybe somewhat alarming? I feel like there should be lots of articles written about what these guys are doing, and I just see a few here and there.
Sorry for the wall of text, I just keep thinking about the incredible work Cardboard Computer is doing and I want to give them props/see if anyone else feels the same way.
TL;DR Kentucky Route Zero is so good (if you're into that kind of thing) that it's sort of scary. I don't know how three guys have made such an incredible thing, and I'm kind of freaked out by it.

- Stolen from some guy on reddit.

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#20977965 - 12/15/14 02:22 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

looks cool

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom