Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | Next > | Last >
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Stock Update for November 6, 2014 [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #20804915 - 11/07/14 08:37 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't watched his videos and will check a few out, but honestly I have a bit of a hard time with people who try to call bottoms and tops.  They may get it right once in a while, but frankly I believe it's a fool's errand.  For my money, I am better served identifying existing trends and capitalizing on them rather than attempting to fish out inflection points.  On that note, I am out of TRIP and SCTY.  While they haven't broken below their recent lows, they haven't been rebounding much either and I don't feel like holding them over the weekend since they aren't showing any signs of strength and I can always get back in later if and when they do.  I would rather free up the capital to use on short term swing trades, or to put to work on a potential pull back since the market has basically gone straight up for the past three weeks.

MDVN is breaking out to all time highs today on the heels of earnings.  I wouldn't be a buyer here, but my Jan 2016 $60 and $75 calls are kicking butt.  I also like AAPL's consolidation here at the top of its range.  Will be watching for the next leg higher.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for November 6, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20805315 - 11/07/14 11:03 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Took some LOCO a few moments ago via Dec $37 calls.

Big volume spike, on its way to test yesterday's high, pushing up against the top bollinger band which is centered on the 50 day moving average.  New IPO being bought on its first quarterly report and close to its IPO high, looks ready to run if the market cooperates.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Stock Update for November 6, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20808720 - 11/08/14 04:51 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
I haven't watched his videos and will check a few out, but honestly I have a bit of a hard time with people who try to call bottoms and tops.  They may get it right once in a while, but frankly I believe it's a fool's errand.  For my money, I am better served identifying existing trends and capitalizing on them rather than attempting to fish out inflection points.  On that note, I am out of TRIP and SCTY.  While they haven't broken below their recent lows, they haven't been rebounding much either and I don't feel like holding them over the weekend since they aren't showing any signs of strength and I can always get back in later if and when they do.  I would rather free up the capital to use on short term swing trades, or to put to work on a potential pull back since the market has basically gone straight up for the past three weeks.

MDVN is breaking out to all time highs today on the heels of earnings.  I wouldn't be a buyer here, but my Jan 2016 $60 and $75 calls are kicking butt.  I also like AAPL's consolidation here at the top of its range.  Will be watching for the next leg higher.

The difference is, Oscar usually gets it right.  He's a master at technical analysis, period.  The charts are what is the focus.  Repetitive patterns such as the V bottom recoveries all the way up from 2009 is what led to his call at the recent bottom.  So while everyone on CNBC like the idiot Cramer comes up with 10 reasons to sell, Oscar comes up with the right recommendation.  He's right a lot more times than he's wrong.

Here's an example.  Oil is at $103.  Oscar, being a respected oil analyst, comes on Fox.  The anchor, Melissa Francis, wants a bullish scenario.  Oscar instead says he thinks oil will go to $75 based on his analysis, possibly lower to $65.  She boots him from the show.  This a few months ago.  Fast forward to last week, oil hits $76.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Stock Update for November 10, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20817862 - 11/10/14 08:20 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Put on a couple of new trades today.

Long Jan $67.50 call position on UA, on the move above its 50 day moving average in conjunction with the anticipation of a strong holiday season for the company. 

Also liked the pause BIDU has taken after its earnings report on the 29th of October, and that it is now starting to move back up to its all time high, which if passed, looks set to begin a volatility expansion to the upside on the weekly chart.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Stock Update for November 10, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20820133 - 11/10/14 04:58 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah predicting the tops and bottoms is like predicting red or black on roulette. I believe if you single out a company that has a good product and team your bound to make some gains. I mean that is really what it boils down to. Can they financially be stable and can a retard run the company and still make money. It's insane how many companies just can't make money.

Tesla is a stock that I believe involves a lot of hype. No doubt a solid company but something about electric cars now as the price for oil drops and how the US is now becoming the biggest energy source via all the shit we have opened up I'd be risky...

but then again I quested apples stock. The iphone 6 dropped and all I heard about it was how it sucked. I doubt it does I don't have it yet but that's all I heard. No stock movement. Then low and behold they sold a boat load and the stock leaps into outer space. The product is fool proof. The company is fool proof. A retard could make money running it. I'd invest in apple but I'm extremely skeptical about the watch thing.

My main focus is biopharm/drugs/chemicals because my degree is in them. I believe I can narrow down good scientists and products. These are by far the hardest stocks to eye ball. Drug development is so costly you don't see returns for years so you must hold.

I'd stick to financial resources from accredited universities. I honestly do not like youtube videos because they use extreme speculation instead of logical means.

who knows we all have our own ways. I do know I'm improving in my investments feel like I have no one else I know interested in them. So it's like my own hobby. You always get better when you have someone to play against if you know what I mean.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Stock Update for November 12, 2014 [Re: Gorlax]
    #20826131 - 11/12/14 08:43 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Well the S&P just continues to grind higher, setting new all time highs on what seems a daily basis.  One thing that is important to note is that trading volume has been declining as the index has been printing new highs over the past couple of weeks.  This isn't necessarily a huge problem, but it does raise the probability that the move higher will stall for a bit or perhaps even retrace to the downside.  So tighten up those stops and remember that you probably don't want to get too aggressive at this point, as better entries are likely to present themselves either by way of more sideways consolidation (which really helps lower the price of options) or even a pullback.

On that note, I have added TCK to my retirement portfolio as a longer term value based hold.  Most of my trading here is as a momentum/trend follower, because I am at my desk most mornings and have the opportunity to play the quick swing trades, but it is always a good idea to have a longer term portfolio that you can for the most part "set and forget" in order to ride through the market swings.  TCK will be in my long term portfolio, it's a diversified metals & mining company based in Canada, and has been absolutely crushed (along with most commodities) of late.  Nevertheless, this isn't a company likely to go out of business, and as the global economic climate changes and the cyclical business cycle continues to play out, this company's stock is likely to take a cyclical upturn as well.  Here's the chart:

Notice the big turn down, followed by the stabilization or base building we have seen over the past month.  The bollinger bands are tightening and the stock is starting to look a little frisky.  The fact the GOP has gained some headway in US politics affords some relief to the coal industry, for which TCK has some exposure.  Fortunately, even if coal is on its way out, TCK is diversified enough that its other operations in copper and zinc can help counterbalance that potential headwind.

In other stock specific news, AAPL is breaking out of its flag pattern today and I have added to my position.  BIDU is also continuing its march higher.  LOCO blindsided shareholders by announcing to offer 6 million additional shares, which nailed their stock and has my position decidedly underwater - on a break below $34.50, I would be out of this name and am even considering ditching it right now even though it is stable after the announcement yesterday.  TSLA is duking it out at its 50 day moving average, doesn't look set to take it today, but if it does do so soon, it should prompt another leg higher, at least up to the $265-$270 area.  BIIB is still coiling, with its 50, 20 and 200 day moving averages now converging right upon one another - this type of setup, when it breaks, will tend to break big and rapidly, so keep an eye on it.

Just remember, we've had a big move off the October lows and further advances (if we get them), are not likely to come so rapidly.  Trade accordingly, trade smart, take the best entries or none at all, and adhere to your stops!

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Stock Update for November 12, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20827225 - 11/12/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for November 12, 2014 [Re: geokills] * 1
    #20828295 - 11/12/14 06:27 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

TSLA looks like a head and shoulders ready to get kicked down a peg or two back to test 225.  Sure you could hope it actually retests major resistance in the low 260s, but that's just it, hope.  I don't get the attraction for the product, at all.  Electric cars, and oil taking a shit. 

But really Geo, I am kind of surprised you are regularly buying call options.  That's a tough game, on a good day.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for November 12, 2014 [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #20831049 - 11/13/14 08:36 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I'm addicted to leverage, although I do maintain lower octane investments such as my LendingClub account, real estate rentals, physical metals and some limited partnership holdings.  I added to AAPL yesterday on the morning breakout via Dec $105 calls, and they are up over 50% today, sold half moments ago.  My TSLA Dec $240 calls are also up over 40%.  Technically, the stock broke above its downtrending resistance line (created from the highs on 9/4, 10/9 and 11/6) on Tuesday, which I believe is when I doubled down on my position.  It has now decisively retaken its 50 day moving average and should have some more room to run.  As I noted in my previous post, I am largely a momentum based trader, so whether or not TSLA as a company warrants the valuation it is being given is largely irrelevant.  I am afterall trading option contracts that expire in 37 days, and since the company just released earnings, there is no fundamental catalyst that should affect this position, it's all about trading the chart and capitalizing off of the prevailing trend.

With AAPL, I play both ends, utilizing long dated Jan 2016 and 2017 calls in order to "buy and hold" the fundamental prospects of a company with tons of cash, great products and upcoming innovation into new product lines, that is trading at a very fair valuation relative to any other company with similar growth rates in its sector.  But I also (as exhibited above with the Dec $105 calls) take some short term swing trades when the probability of a breakout seems heightened.

So far so good, another day, another new high in the S&P.  UA and BIDU are cooperating with the trades I put on, up some 17% and 9% respectively as of this writing, although BIDU appears poised to rest a bit.  I am no longer involved in LOCO, even though it is holding at its 50 day moving average, the market is extended overall, and I would rather have the cash on hand to deploy in the event of weakness instead of waiting for LOCO to flounder around.  I do have alerts set however, so that if it shows signs of perking up, my attention will be drawn back to it.

Current positions:
  • Long AAPL via calls: Dec $105, Jan 2016 $100, Jan 2017 $95, Apr 2015 $105/Short Apr $120 calls.
  • Long TSLA via Dec $240 calls
  • Long BIDU via Jan $230 and June 2015 $230 calls
  • Long UA via Jan $67.50 calls
  • Long BIIB via Apr $300 calls
  • Long MDVN via Jan 2016 $60 and $75 calls
  • Long FB via Jan 2016 $75 call
  • Long ALXN via May $170 call/Short May $200 call
  • Long TCK via Jan 2016 $15 calls

EDIT: Market showing some pretty clear intraday weakness now, sold out of the BIDU Jan $230's, the rest of my AAPL Dec $105's, and half of my TSLA Dec $240's since these options are profitable, expire soon and if the market shits, they likely won't have time to recover.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinekatsung47
Stranger
Re: Stock Update for November 12, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20833022 - 11/13/14 05:08 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The stock market doesn't create wealth. The profit of Winner is from loser's loss.

For example: A farmer planted a seed. He sold the fruit The famer created a wealth.
A worker produced a car. He sold the car. He creates a wealth.

Investor A bought one hundred shares at 1.00/share. The company got one hundred dollars to pay rent, wage and material. Then the stock market rose to peak. Investor A sold the share at 1.10/share to investor B. A got 110 dollars. He made a 10% profit. But was that 10 dollars created? No. it was B's loss. When B bought the stock from A, he became a potential loser. What he bought was only a piece of paper. He couldn't cash the stock with the company which issued it. What B can do is hoping some one else to take over the potential loss.

Situation 1. If the stock is Enron, then when it went bankruptcy, B's stock worth nothing. Here Company got 100 dollars. A got 10 dollars. B is the loser. He lost 110 dollars. Winners' money is from loser's. It's evidenct.

Situation 2. If the stock is HP, then in trough, the share price may fall to 0.90/share. B sold it to C. B lost 20 dollars. C paid 90 dollars for 100 shares. C sold the stock in peak 2 at 1.20/share to D. Now D becomes a potential loser. If nobody has the will to buy his paper, then the stock worth zero. Now let's see, company got 100 dollars. A sold stock at 1.10/share. he made 10 dollars. B bought at 1.10/share, sold at 0.90/share. B lost 20 dollars. C bought at 0.90/share and sold at 1.20/share. C won 30 dollars. 10(A) + 30(C) + 100 (company) = 20(B loss) + 120 (D's potential loss)

Here is my eqation: Winner's gain(profit) + Capital gain (Company issue the stock) = Losers' loss (loss) + Potential loss (Amount paid by the latest stock holder)

You can see there is no wealth created. How much winner got is how much loser and potential loser lost. And it doesn't include administration fee. (it's about 2 trillion in 10 years period, Re: San Jose Mercury News, 12/17/04) So when Bush say you may get better income in stock market, there must be some people bear the loss for the winner's gain. Whom do you think will be the loser and winner?

(I omit the dividend here. it's similar to interest paid by bank.)

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
Re: Stock Update for November 12, 2014 [Re: katsung47] * 2
    #20833646 - 11/13/14 07:16 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The stock market is not a zero sum game. As long as the global economy grows, stocks should grow earnings and stock price should rise.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Stock Update for November 14, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20835440 - 11/14/14 08:13 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

BITA reported a good quarter, stock has been consolidating for some time and is breaking out on the news.

Bought some stock at $85 because the spreads on the options were too wide for me to comfortably purchase straight calls.  Since options are expensive on this name, I also sold some Dec $80 puts for $3.50.  This would effectively force me to buy more shares at a net cost of $76.50 if the stock is below $80, 36 days from now.  If the stock continues to run, I will be likely to sell higher strike calls against my common stock to bring in more premium from the expensive options, which would in turn potentially obligate me to sell the shares of common stock I already bought, at higher prices.

I am out of BIIB for a 20% loss, the stock was downgraded today and it has seen selling pressure for several days now, with this really starting to push it down.  Other big names in the biotech industry like GILD have also been under pressure and so I think this capital can be better deployed elsewhere.  I'll also be away from my desk Monday, so I am looking to lighten up my exposure a bit, where possible, which is another reason I unloaded some of my stronger positions yesterday.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Stock Update for November 18, 2014 [Re: geokills]
    #20854797 - 11/18/14 08:56 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Back in the saddle and after over a week of dead flat consolidation on the S&P, we are starting to break out to fresh all time highs this morning, in a more meaningful way.  As such, I added some January $204 SPY calls to my portfolio.

I got a lucky low ball order filled at the low print yesterday for some SUNE Jan $16 calls while I was out of town.  The company announced a major business move this morning that has the stock up over 25% as of this writing, so I took my calls off of the table for a better than 100% gain.  Perhaps a little early, but when I get that kind of gift overnight, I don't want to give it back.

I added lightly to my BITA common stock position this morning, as it is moving above the earnings pop it printed on Friday.  I have also closed out the remainder of my TSLA Dec $240 calls for a 70% gain, and "rolled out and up" into TSLA Jan $250 calls since the move does not appear to be done, but in case it rests I wanted to buy more time on the contracts.  I have also cinched up the stops on the Jan $250's in order not to give back too much of my profit in the event we do fall back.

GILD is showing signs of building a base here right above $100.  It tagged $100 on Friday an is popping a bit this morning.  The company has received positive reports that its Hepatitis C drug Harvoni is doing very well, and it's a major player in the bioscience sector.  After getting beaten up this last month, I think it's worth taking a position right here for a low risk trade.  Bought Jan $100 calls @ $7, and will be stopped out if GILD breaks below its recent low print of $100.

Z had a major move last Friday, and it appears that there is still follow on buying.  I don't want to chase it right here, but I wouldn't mind owning some, so I sold a weekly $115 put for $1.50.  If Z is below $115 this Friday, I'll own some at a net cost of $113.50 per share, which is OK with me.

Also watching BABA here, as it is pulling back a bit.  The 20 day moving average corresponds with its earnings high print on 11/4, so that is a point of interest but I will need to see signs of buying coming in before I take some stock.  I think this company has fantastic long term fundamental prospects, but it has also gone up really quickly in the past month, so I will wait to see meaningful signs that buyers are coming back in before entering.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineVillage-idiot
Bullet Proof Hippie

Loc: Around the Block
Re: Stock Update for December 3, 2008 - CELG [Re: geokills]
    #20930392 - 12/04/14 09:55 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

You need to invest in penny stocks because its the smartest thing you could do.

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stock Update for December 3, 2008 - CELG [Re: Village-idiot]
    #21010882 - 12/22/14 03:31 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I put an order for some Potash Corp this morning in US$. I don't see the canadian dollar strengthening until ISIS is defeated.

I have a theory that oil prices will stay low because OPEC and the US can artifically depress prices to cut the amount of revenue that this terror group receives for afew months until they run out of money and a military offensive can be successful.

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for December 3, 2008 - CELG [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #21016765 - 12/23/14 12:05 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I purchased 90 shares of USO today at $21.40. Am long. It's at some pretty historic lows and while oil could slide further there is more potential for long term growth. If it continues to fall I will simply buy more and wait out the inevitable cycle.

Will be contributing another $5500 to my Roth soon and am wondering where to put it . Overall am down $1000 this year due to 3D printing companies taking a dive. I did look at  this long term but kinda feel like I got in at the worst possible time (the stocks fell 30% out of nowhere like a week after my entry)

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stock Update for December 3, 2008 - CELG [Re: ManianFH]
    #21023586 - 12/25/14 01:03 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I read an article on bloomberg about how russia's currency crisis is forcing them to halt shipments of wheat to their former soviet block neighbors. One of the largest grain exporters halting exports to many countries could result in a spike in soft commodities and stocks that relate to them

Potash Corp, agrium, monsanto, deere, wheat, and to a lesser extent sugar all seem like the ticket for this story.

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stock Update for December 3, 2008 - CELG [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #21378756 - 03/08/15 03:15 PM (9 years, 23 days ago)

I've officially opened up an individual investment account (with BOA/Merrill).  haven't made any trades yet, and am likely a little ways away from making my first; but i'm moving $500 every paycheck over into the investment account so that when i am ready to jump in, I'll be ready

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for December 3, 2008 - CELG [Re: memes]
    #21379421 - 03/08/15 05:41 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

memes said:
I've officially opened up an individual investment account (with BOA/Merrill).  haven't made any trades yet, and am likely a little ways away from making my first; but i'm moving $500 every paycheck over into the investment account so that when i am ready to jump in, I'll be ready

I would have thought you would be Type E.

:haha:

Still, you managed to find the one bank I detest more than E Trade, and that would be BOA.

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stock Update for December 3, 2008 - CELG [Re: LunarEclipse] * 1
    #21379429 - 03/08/15 05:43 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

i don't like you

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom