Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Loc: Canada Flag
My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions
    #20894846 - 11/26/14 09:00 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Howdy yall.
Today I recieved my galindoi spore print. I plan to grow them out until around may. I took some spores from the print and put it on malt extract agar. I plan to make a liquid culture or two also.

I will update this thread with pictures as I go but first I have a few questions.

1. How much spores do I need to put on the agar? (I put very little)
2. How long should it take before I see any growth?
3. Should I try and isolate a certain sector if so what characteristics do I look for?
4. How large should the agar peice be to inoculate my grain jars?

Appreciate any and all input.

Your boy Don H.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: DonHoot]
    #20894937 - 11/26/14 09:25 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DonHoot said:
1. How much spores do I need to put on the agar? (I put very little)

When I do agar, I put so little spores on, I can barely see it.

Quote:

DonHoot said:
2. How long should it take before I see any growth?

Mine started showing growth in about a day or two.

Quote:

DonHoot said:
3. Should I try and isolate a certain sector if so what characteristics do I look for?

I look for the part growing father from the center than the others. The piece I take off that edge, is extremely small. A lot smaller than most people on here, I would bet.

Quote:

DonHoot said:
4. How large should the agar peice be to inoculate my grain jars?

I use a piece about 1 square inch. I tilt the grains in the spawn jar to a slant, drop the agar mycelium piece in there, and flatten the grains back out to cover the piece I just put in. This tends to make it colonize a little bit faster than just dropping it onto the top of everything.

--------------------
From before I started growing gourmet mushrooms:

Invisiblemycomattie
 User Gallery

#20894954 - 11/26/14 09:32 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

First, have you checked out Stonesun's guide?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13431948/page/1

1. How much spores do I need to put on the agar? (I put very little) - LITERALLY a drop!

2. How long should it take before I see any growth? - On agar, I'd say average 3 - 5 days.

3. Should I try and isolate a certain sector if so what characteristics do I look for?  Clean and sclerotia forming on the MEA.

4. How large should the agar peice be to inoculate my grain jars?  A little goes a long way, an eight of the plate is more than adequate.

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: mycomattie]
    #20895025 - 11/26/14 09:45 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the quick response. I have read many posts from stonesun. I have deffinately done my research. I feel confident I will succeed. There was just a couple questions I couldnt seem to find answers to. I got a few more question though; how do I know which sector is sclerotia forming? From what I have read you look for the fastest growing fluffiest and even layered mycelium on the dish. Is that correct? Also if I just started today, how long can I expect before i can put it in to a liquid culture? . I was thinking id make a couple different liquid cultures with a couple different isolates and trying to figure out what one is the best producer, you think that's worth doing?

Invisiblemycomattie
 User Gallery

#20895056 - 11/26/14 09:53 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

For me, the sclerotia producing Psilocybes mycelium is quite a bit different than cubensis - it's not "fluffy" or rhizomorphic - it has a brownish hue coloration and the stones can be seen as bumps or masses in the mycelium on the agar plates.

I've never tried LC, so I can't help you there.

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20895070 - 11/26/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Oh okay awsome. I havent read that anywhere but good to know for sure. Well I think that covers everything I wanted to know. If anyone has any helpful hints feel free to chime in.

Thanks for the help guys!

Well update when tnings start to happen.

Don H.

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#20895110 - 11/26/14 10:18 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, and one more thing to add to this. I know, its not the best of practice due to the possible contams, but bringing the room temperature up to 78F, dramatically increases the speed that the mycelium grows on the agar. I really mean, it goes a LOT faster. Raising the temp makes the environment more suitable for contams as well, which is why its not considered good practice. I just do it anyways, as my agar dishes almost never contam, and I make so many at a time.

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: Stargate]
    #20895123 - 11/26/14 10:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Awsome good to know thankyou!

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20908600 - 11/30/14 02:50 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

today I noticed my first bit of growth i'll upload a few pics I took. If someone could let me know if everythings looking fine thatd be super.

this is on my store bought MEA.

and this is on homemade MEA

thank yall for your time.

Don H.

Invisiblemycomattie
 User Gallery

#20909006 - 11/30/14 04:26 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup: Definitely looks like Psi galindoi mycelium to me, great job!

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20911844 - 12/01/14 11:07 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. Its sure a fast growing mycelium compared to the cubensis I have on agar.

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20929456 - 12/04/14 06:22 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I was thinkin about ordering some spawn bags for this project but dont really want to spend the extra hundred dollars on an impulse sealer. I do however have a vacuum sealer, would it be possible to seal the bags using the sealer part of my vacuum sealer without vacuuming the bags at all? Or is that sealer no good for this purpose? I mean if it can seal a vacuum sealed bag and hold the vacuum why couldnt it work to seal spawn bags? I guess the type of plastic could be a factor but I clearly dont know. Does anyone know if it would work or have any experience trying this?
any info welcomed.

Thanks.

Don H.

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20930311 - 12/04/14 09:36 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Heres an update on my agar plates. Everything looks fine to me. Let me know if you see anything that doesnt look right.

thanks.

Invisiblesaralove
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20930436 - 12/04/14 10:04 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by saralove (09/08/16 01:28 AM)

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: saralove]
    #20930778 - 12/04/14 11:34 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks! I read quite a bit about all things sclerotia before even buying my spores but I have not seen that video. Since buying them I have been reading ALOT more info. I think I have everything under control. But a little assurance is always nice. Unfortunately the link you provided will not properly open on my phone, and I have no access to a computer where I am.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated as I go.

thanks to everyone who has posted so far, you guys are the best!

Don H.

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20942772 - 12/07/14 03:14 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

This is a picture from the underside of one of my agar dishes, it appears that the mycelium is eating away at the agar fairly aggressively. Is this normal? I have never seen that happen on any of my cubensis dishes.

OfflineMonsieurMushroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20942981 - 12/07/14 03:54 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I believe it could be sucking the moisture out of the agar in the area of the cracking, here are some photos of aggressive galindoi mycelium on another thread http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13994059#13994059

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: MonsieurMushroom]
    #20943264 - 12/07/14 04:53 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for that. My mycelium is alot whiter than most I've seen on this site. I think youre definitely right, it is just sucking the moisture out. I was just a little worried because I have never seen this happen before to any cubensis dishes I have. But this is my first time working with galindoi so everythings new to me.

Invisiblestevo

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions *DELETED* [Re: DonHoot]
    #20944661 - 12/07/14 08:41 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by stevo

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: stevo]
    #20950085 - 12/08/14 10:47 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

That sounds like a good idea. I got alot of spores so ill be doing all sorts of experiments once my dishes fully colonize. I got a question though; Why is it that people dont like to do G2G with sclerotia producers? I was wanting to make a liquid culture but if that doesnt succeed is it bad to do G2G?

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#20950230 - 12/08/14 11:19 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DonHoot said:
That sounds like a good idea. I got alot of spores so ill be doing all sorts of experiments once my dishes fully colonize. I got a question though; Why is it that people dont like to do G2G with sclerotia producers? I was wanting to make a liquid culture but if that doesnt succeed is it bad to do G2G?

Ooooh! An LC on sclerotia. I've never done LC before, but I have everything I need for it. I'm gonna try that idea out once I get my hands on some sclerotia spores :smile:

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20950325 - 12/08/14 11:48 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I have everything I need to do a LC too, I just cant garuntee ill be successful doing it. I already know I can do G2G its pretty straight forward haha. Ive just read that its best to do LC and not G2G.

on a side note if youre looking for some spores check out hawks eye I think its called on the shroomery sponsor page. Hes got a few sclerotia producers.

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#20950428 - 12/09/14 12:19 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Well man, I just G2ged 100 jars. If you want to see how they turn out, here is the link to my new Grow Log. That should show you if G2Ging is good or not.

I have heard that LC tends to be dangerous, as you don't know if its contaminated until you actually grow it out. Either way, I plan to make a gallon on it next summer, put a small hpoo field in an open space, and dump the gallon on it. Can't be sure how it will go, but it should be fun :P

Sadly, I don't have the money to buy more spores right now. Hopefully I will in coming months. I want to grow so many kinds of mushies! Especially those glow in the dark ones, and lions mane. :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20950504 - 12/09/14 12:42 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Looking good bud, but is that cubensis or a sclerotia producer?

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#20950527 - 12/09/14 12:55 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I don't have a sclerotia spore yet, so I haven't done it yet. This run is for cubes. I'm planning on running 24 66qt monotubs, and one single small one.

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20950597 - 12/09/14 01:29 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Holy crap buddy! Thats alot! good luck!... G2G with cubensis is fine and dandy, I've just read its not so dandy with sclerotia producers. I got some cubensis on the go. But thats a whole different story. Had a few probs with yeast contam but still ended up with a good amount of good jars, buddy of mine just gave me some of his strain he uses too so im going to G2G that in to 10 more. Im doing multiple small tubs in a greenhouse setup for my cubensis. Did it years back and it worked well so im setting it up again. I like the idea of the sclerotia though. Seems like less work to me which is always nice, not that cubes are alot but one less step is nice. I probably will end up fruiting some galindoi for spore prints mainly. I got about 80 jars to knock up so I can eat em all this summer. Only reason I decided on so many was because I wanted to have enough to last the whole summer and im a noob at sclerotia so I figured go big and hope for the best. Ive done my research so im hoping all goes well.

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#20951234 - 12/09/14 07:35 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Hey man, that sounds great! I hope your sclerotia grow goes well. Are you going to post the grow? I would love to see it
:solidnod:

--------------------

Invisiblestevo

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions *DELETED* [Re: Stargate]
    #20951565 - 12/09/14 09:28 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by stevo

Reason for deletion: .

Edited by stevo (12/13/14 05:14 PM)

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: stevo]
    #20953104 - 12/09/14 02:57 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Cool thanks for the info! And yeah I was going to post my progress on this thread until completion. Im still just waiting for my petri's to completely colonize, and waiting on some more petri's to come in the mail so I can start doing my strain selection. I might noc up one jar before I start doing the strain selection to see how it goes then possibly clone a nice stone out of that jar for future use but either than that im going to be selecting strains from my 2 master dishes when the fully colonize and hope I end up with a good producer. Then hopefully a liquid culture to noc up the rest of my jars.

I made a liquid culture from dextrose and LME last night and threw some cubensis myc in it to see if I can successfully do it so I guess I'll wait and see how that turns out and if all goes well I'll be making one with the galindoi.

InvisibleDesert Delerium
Male

#20953172 - 12/09/14 03:13 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

You are going to print some of them right? It's almost sinful not to considering how hard they are to acquire.  :wink:

Good luck on the grow man!

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: Desert Delerium]
    #20953486 - 12/09/14 04:17 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I most certainly am going to attempt to print some haha... im no pro that's for sure. Honestly though i had no problem finding a print. More expensive than cubensis but if youre looking check out Hawks Eye one of the shroomery sponsors.

Edited by DonHoot (12/09/14 04:22 PM)

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20953513 - 12/09/14 04:21 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Stonesun has been my inspiration for this grow.  Without him i wouldnt know a thing about sclerotia. I wish more people played with the stones so their was more info on the subject though.

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20969571 - 12/13/14 12:14 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Well this is what my two dishes are looking like now; the one on top is faster growing while the bottom pic is alot slower and appears to be growing a couple stones, one right in the center and a smaller one about a centimeter away. When I go to do my transfer should I cut out the small stones and transfer those or should I go for some faster growing mycelium?

Invisiblemycomattie
 User Gallery

#20971149 - 12/13/14 12:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

If you're looking for stone production, transfer out the stones; if you're looking to fruit, transfer the fast growing mycelium.:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineYOmamaPr0
KnottyBetch
 User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico, US
    #20971289 - 12/13/14 01:28 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think you would transfer out the stones. You would maybe make a few isolates with the myc. Knock up some jars.
Let Em sit for a while and see which cultures produces the best quality stones.
Right? :shrug:

Edited by YOmamaPr0 (12/13/14 01:29 PM)

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: YOmamaPr0]
    #20971383 - 12/13/14 01:53 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

In my head I was thinking transfer the stones. But i will be making multiple different transfers of all different growth and then will go from there to see what I get. I will noc up a jar but id like to have some transfers going too.

Invisiblemycomattie
 User Gallery

#20971623 - 12/13/14 02:58 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Frank had a grow (tampanensis, not galindoi) pertaining to this subject.  If you're looking for stone production, rather than fruiting, you'd transfer the sectors with stones; since the mycelium already has a genetic predisposition to produce stones.

If that's the attribute you desire - you isolate it.

--------------------

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20971805 - 12/13/14 03:44 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yes I am going for stones over fruit for sure. I will look it up thanks alot eh.

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#20994698 - 12/18/14 03:17 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Well today I cut up the large stone growing in the center of one of my dishes and transfered it to multiple new dishes. I will update with pics when I see new growth.

I also made a few transfers of the really rhizo fast growing myc so i can try and fruit some.

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#21041632 - 12/29/14 09:44 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well it's about time I give a little update on my thread here so here she goes, I'll show you what I got Goin on.

These first two pictures are transfers I made to fruit the galindoi, I picked the fasted growing mycelium on my dish to make these.

This next picture is of a small stone that was growing on one dish that transfered to a new one.

And lastly these are dishes I made from the very large truffle growing on one of my dishes. I cut it in to small pieces and transfered it to 4 new dishes.

Once these dishes are fully colonized in to the grain they go.

Invisiblemycomattie
 User Gallery

#21041667 - 12/29/14 09:56 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Oh hell yeah, nice!

--------------------

Offlineitsreallynotme
Stranger
    #21043553 - 12/30/14 11:33 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

im also trying the galindoii for my first time. on agar it took 6 days for germination.

InvisibleFungus Mountain
Poke-N-Squirt
 User Gallery

Loc: Front row @ the Freakshow
    #21043762 - 12/30/14 12:18 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Great progress so far. Going to be keeping an eye on this project.

:excellent:

--------------------
“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”
George Orwell, 1984

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: itsreallynotme]
    #21044137 - 12/30/14 01:51 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

itsreallynotme said:
im also trying the galindoii for my first time. on agar it took 6 days for germination.

I don't quite remember how long mine took to germinate, I believe it was only 3 or 4 days though. The mycelium is slower growing than any cubensis I have ever grown, it's seems to start off super fast and then kind of slow down at about half colonization. It's been a lot slower progress than I anticipated but I'm still excited to get it Goin. My first time with anything other than cubensis so it's pretty different to me.

Edited by DonHoot (12/30/14 01:54 PM)

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

Re: My first Sclerotia Grow featuring Galindoi. Questions [Re: Fungus Mountain]
    #21044163 - 12/30/14 01:56 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mycomattie said:
Oh hell yeah, nice!

Quote:

Fungus Mountain said:
Great progress so far. Going to be keeping an eye on this project.

:excellent:

Thanks for the positive feed back boys.

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#21089864 - 01/08/15 09:09 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well guys, agar dishes are fully colonized and grains are being prepped. I ran out of my rye berries using it on my cubensis grows so I decided to use Inocuole's Impossibly Simple Whole Oat Tek with the addition of coffee (2 quarts of strong coffee to 2.5 gallons of water) and gypsum (3 teaspoons in 3 gallons). I tested the tek on my cubes and it works great so im eager to see how well it does with sclerotia, I have read oats work well. I should have things Goin real soon here.

Edited by DonHoot (01/13/15 11:00 PM)

OfflineDonHoot
hobbyist

#21485325 - 03/31/15 09:04 PM (9 years, 3 hours ago)

I haven't updated in a while here. I went through a big move and what not so my progress slowed right down. I have one jar going right now. And 45 ready to noc up soon here. Here's a couple pics of the jar I got goin on right now.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck