Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Loc: Indiana
Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System
    #20849015 - 11/17/14 04:08 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

So after watching a few more videos I decided to redesign my rocket stove tank boiler idea to a coil system. I think this will work WAY more efficiently. Feel free to use the design, just make sure you credit me for it. :wink: This system can be used indoor if you vent out your stove exhaust.

This is a system design for essentially a huge pressure cooker. The build will require some additions, such as insulation on the piping and steam tanks. Make sure to use thread tape as well, and most important... BE CAREFUL!!!

The beginning of the system starts with your water source. You can build the system to be fed by a garden hose if you like, but using a gravity fed rain barrel allows you to build the system to use rain water, or in locations without running water. Make sure to put a shut-off valve between the tank and rocket stove.

Second is the rocket stove boiler. This can be a standard rocket stove (including metal barrel), or a stone/mason stove. Expand a coil of copper tubing around the heat riser to act as your steam generator. Make sure to secure your coil so it can't move around. Use a condenser to size down your steam manifold to 1/4" piping. From the videos I've watched, they all seem to have a siphon before the pressure gauge, so make sure you throw one in. Install a brass ball valve after your gauge to control your steam pressure.
Lastly is the pressurized steam tanks. You can build the system with however many tanks you desire, but the more tanks the more insulation you'll need to keep the steam temps up. The intake and exhaust manifolds should be built different than shown in the pic, I just drew them that way so you can see the path better. I suggest coming in the back of the barrel with the intake, and out the topside of the front of the barrel with the exhaust. The exhaust manifold runs into a Mirro-Matic style shaker-weight (the kind that have the 5/10/15 psi settings). This way no matter what you won't get your pressure too high in the barrels. Being able to sustain constant pressure on the system should allow for shorter cooking times and better results.

Utilizing the efficiency of a rocket stove and a coil core boiler, this system should actually work better than traditional wood-fire tank style boiler system. Not to mention using far less wood. You could even make your own compressed sawdust fuel blocks to use in the stove if you have an infinite supply of sawdust like most of us do.

I'll post updates as I build the system.

Update: 12-19-2014:

So here is the first build of my portable rocket stove boiler system, although producing steam isn't it's only function. It can function as a camp stove by removing the smoke stack and adding a grate on top, or be used as the stove for a true rocket mass heater by adding a barrel to the 6" opening. It can also be used as the air intake for a sawdust stove (see YouTube). By utilizing the "J-tube" design, it should be able to burn oil as a fuel source as well once the aluminum 90 piece burns out (bottom of the "J"). Please read the individual picture descriptions for further details.

Basic "J-tube" design. The bottom 90 section is aluminum, so it should burn out and the burn chamber will be directly on the refractory mortar.

Used a cat litter bucket to house the stove. Cut a hole in the lid to hold the top piece stable as the mortar sets up.

Feed tube inlet. I will use a steel pipe for a secondary air intake if needed, which will be installed through the bottom of the feed tube (part that sticks out from the bucket). I used a hot glue gun to seal the hole in the bucket around the feed tube to keep the mortar mix from seeping out.

Stove poured! Used refractory (high-temp) mortar and vermiculite/perlite at a 2:1 ratio. Mixed it pretty thin to make sure it flowed evenly into the bucket. I then played the sides of the bucket like drums to vibrate the air bubbles to the surface. The thin mix will take quite a bit longer to cure, but will ensure a much more even pour. Tossed the steam coil on top to show it off.

After the mortar mix set up enough to hold the J-tube in place, I removed the bucket lid and floated the top surface smooth.

Since my concrete float is too big to float in around the tube, I used a medium-sized putty knife to float the surface.

After the mortar cures I will cut out the flanged part of the tubing so the 4" smoke stack will fit tightly into the stove. Having the reducer allows me to use any 4 or 6 inch "attachments".

This one shows how the 4" smoke stack fits into the inner hole. Showing off the coil again.

Stove, smoke stack, rain cap, and uninstalled coil.

Rain cap to keep rain out, and to deflect any ash.

Steam coil installed.

I added a metal paint bucket handle to replace the plastic one that comes on the cat litter buckets. I also ended up cutting 1' off the smoke stack to lengthen the feed tube. I'll probably wait 'til next weekend to fire it, just to make sure the mortar mix has had enough time to properly cure (stored at 75F).

Edited by ghiajake (12/19/14 08:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: ghiajake]
    #20849054 - 11/17/14 04:36 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Just ordered the siphon, gauge, gate valve (instead of ball), and the Mirro-Matic rocker weight.

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#20849125 - 11/17/14 05:36 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

Invisiblepablokabute
Hari ng Amag
 User Gallery

Loc: rural ghetto
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #20849131 - 11/17/14 05:38 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:

--------------------

Fermented Mushrooms!!
--- https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23378638/fpart/1/vc/1

'The second seal: “All CONTAMINATED things and events are unsatisfactory.”'

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all - you live in THE HEART OF THE BEAST."

--Anonymous Guerilla, or is he..

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: pablokabute]
    #20850510 - 11/17/14 01:04 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Errr, as drawn any pressure will just flow back to the rain barrel.
If you close the valve after the barrel you will rapidly run out of water in the pipe, then when you open the valve the pressure will just blow out of the rain barrel from both the pipe and steam tanks.

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: solarity]
    #20850862 - 11/17/14 02:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

maybe he's using one way valves.  but i would add some pressure relief valves somewheres.  I don't have the guts to put more than 5 PSI in a barrel, and it's stainless!

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: drake89]
    #20850977 - 11/17/14 02:44 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

It is a work in progress guys. Y'all's comments is why I posted it. :smile: I have decided to do a few things different, but will update those as I make the build. Went and got my exhaust stove pipe and the accessories needed for the rocket stove and coil, so I will get that built first.

InvisibleMykes logos
homo nosce te ipsum
 User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
    #20851139 - 11/17/14 03:09 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:popcorn:

InvisiblecArcace-x
YeAh!!
 User Gallery

Loc: The Simulator
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #20851426 - 11/17/14 04:00 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:

--------------------

Offlinehidyn
Noob
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: cArcace-x]
    #20851744 - 11/17/14 05:02 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, you are awesome! I haven't studied your designs in detail, but when I admire the effort and will follow this thread!

I'm actually signed up for a boiler course in the near future for work.

I hope I pass, I want to see the look on everyones face when I tell them I'm a for real engineer! :lol:

--------------------
My Trade List!

Offlineleschampignons
Biochemistry + Mycology
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/NJ/ME Flag
    #20851961 - 11/17/14 05:46 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

solarity said:
Errr, as drawn any pressure will just flow back to the rain barrel.
If you close the valve after the barrel you will rapidly run out of water in the pipe, then when you open the valve the pressure will just blow out of the rain barrel from both the pipe and steam tanks.

This was my thought as well.

In any case I look forward to seeing what becomes of this :stircauldron:

--------------------
leschampignons Trade List

InvisibleTiN 42
Be the tree
Male

Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: leschampignons]
    #20852975 - 11/17/14 08:52 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:

--------------------
:mushroom2:MUSH LOVE:mushroom2:

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: hidyn]
    #20853935 - 11/18/14 12:45 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hidyn said:
I haven't studied your designs in detail, but when I admire the effort and will follow this thread!

The about design is a preliminary sketch, I have all ready made a few idea changes that I'll update as I make the build. If it ever stops fucking snowing, and it warms up enough to work on it. I don't work out side when the temps are below 20F, fuck that shit!

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
    #20854409 - 11/18/14 06:12 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

wear a full metal jacket the first time u bring that up above 5psi dude...im with drake on that one, i'd be scared shitless!!

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20854529 - 11/18/14 06:55 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

That's why I wanna use the Mirro-Matic weight, I can just test out the different psi settings. They'll definitely be some adjusting to the design as the build continues. First things first is to build the stove.

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: drake89]
    #20856927 - 11/18/14 05:11 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Same issue with a one way valve after the fill tank, pressure from steam in the pipe and sub tanks will keep it closed against the much lower pressure in the fill tank.

If there was a second one way before the steam tanks then possibly, as when the coil runs out of water the pressure would drop to 0 and the one way to the fill tank would open. - Though I would think the cold water would condense the steam in the pipe and either collapse the pipe or suck back from the sub tanks.

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

#20858448 - 11/18/14 10:52 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

So I got the final design of my rocket stove boiler system done, and the basic mold built. This design is of course an "open-source" design. I encourage you to build your own, but PLEASE be careful. This system should create an immense amount of steam. What I have come to realize while watching the many videos on YouTube about various rocket stoves is that you don't need a big fire to create a LOT of heat. By using a coil to generate steam you don't have heat a large mass of water before you get usable steam. You can feed water to the system by garden hose, or a gravity fed water tank for those areas without running water. This is also a perfect way to distill biologically contaminated water to use for drinking and cooking. It would also be perfect for an in-floor radiant heat system. Stay tuned for more updates.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll work out the water feed and the rest of the issues after I get the stove built.

Offlinehidyn
Noob
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #20858719 - 11/19/14 01:37 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Will you be able to get the ash out without shutting down? Because it looks like the only way for it to exit is the exhaust or scraping it out through the air intake.

Also I hear ya about the weather, I've been working on a WVO fuelled furnace for a couple years (I'd be done long ago if I forced myself to actually BUY parts instead of scrounging everything) and I only ever seem to get around to working on it when it's well below freezing. Funny how that's when you start to think about heat. :rolleyes:

--------------------
My Trade List!

InvisibleImperfect Iam
^means imperfect,not I'm perfect
Male User Gallery

Loc: center of the universe Flag
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20861034 - 11/19/14 03:43 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:

wear a full metal jacket the first time u bring that up above 5psi dude...im with drake on that one, i'd be scared shitless!!

I concur!

--------------------
All you touch, and all you see, is all your life will ever be- Pink Floyd

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- John Lennon

Offlinecubenpete
Aminita good excuse
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Ghia's Rocket Stove Boiler System [Re: hidyn]
    #20863541 - 11/20/14 01:29 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hidyn said:
Will you be able to get the ash out without shutting down? Because it looks like the only way for it to exit is the exhaust or scraping it out through the air intake.:

I was also wondering about the ash removal, but I guess it burns so hot that there would not be much left to worry about during a single session.

I bet fuel pellets would put out some serious, sustained BTUs.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags