Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
Growing My Mushies Properly?
    #20775507 - 10/31/14 01:10 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

This is my first time grow and I recently birthed 12 PF BRF B+ cakes they were incubated for 3 1/2 weeks at 77F. After birthing I did a quick dunk and roll (not over period of hours dunk).  I originally had the cakes in a small glass aquarium that proved to be a pain in the ass. So after dunking the cakes again for about 15 hours and rolling in dry verm I replaced them in to this larger terrarium about a week ago. The cakes just kind of seem to be going really slow. Do they appear too wet or dry maybe? Humidity stays 90-99% and temp is always 68-71F, and they receive plenty of FAE. Do they look okay? And are the small white bits stretching off the cake are those pins? Any and all comments would be appreciated!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing My Mushies Properly? [Re: Growpeace]
    #20775673 - 10/31/14 02:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

How often do you mist/fan the cakes?

Do you have 1/4" holes every 2" in a grid pattern on all 6 sides?(this includes the bottom)

Is the chamber raised so air can pass up thru the holes in the bottom?

Did you give the cakes an extra week after they were fully colonized before birthing them?

How long have they been in the fruiting chamber?

OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
Re: Growing My Mushies Properly? [Re: PussyFart]
    #20775714 - 10/31/14 02:38 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I mist and fan multiple times a day. I usually fan until chamber humidity drops from 98% to 90% RH. The holes are not that size but there are a bunch, also holes on the bottom. With the lid on I am able to use a small usb fan about 2 feet above to force FAE. It usually takes about 25-30 minutes of this for the humidity to noticeably drop in the tub but it never goes below 90% . The cakes have been there since last Saturday.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #20775790 - 10/31/14 03:48 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Growpeace said:
I mist and fan multiple times a day. I usually fan until chamber humidity drops from 98% to 90% RH. The holes are not that size but there are a bunch, also holes on the bottom. With the lid on I am able to use a small usb fan about 2 feet above to force FAE. It usually takes about 25-30 minutes of this for the humidity to noticeably drop in the tub but it never goes below 90% . The cakes have been there since last Saturday.

This is a terrible setup....you should build a proper SGFC and ditch all that electronic crap honestly....stop monitoring your humidity, that made in china thing is garbage....and that fan is going to dry everything out.....

The chamber should be getting passive FAE constantly on it's own, without the need for any electronics....you need to mist the cakes gently with a fine mist until they glisten, then fan out the chamber just enough to cycle out the old air, for a drop in RH, so evaporation can take place.

You ONLY need to fan after misting, if you do not mist, then there is no reason to fan....

Quote:

PussyFart said:

Did you give the cakes an extra week after they were fully colonized before birthing them?

OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
    #20776196 - 10/31/14 08:13 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

okay so I stopped with the fan and now I will just mist and fan with the lid 3-4 times a day. Does that sound effective? And do my cakes look dry in the pictures?

OfflineKazak
Friend

#20776232 - 10/31/14 08:30 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

It is aerial mycelium.
How many inches of perlite? Holes every 2inches in a grid on all six sides?
I wouldn't waste time with that thermometer/hygrometer in your SGFC. The hygrometer will not be accurate.

Edit: sorry it didn't show any responses when I clicked on this thread and didn't warn me that there had been some. Listen to PF

Edited by Kazak (10/31/14 08:44 AM)

OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
Re: Growing My Mushies Properly? [Re: Kazak]
    #20776242 - 10/31/14 08:34 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I only have about 2 inches of perlite but it is always staying humid as I mist the walls throughout the day, does aerial mycelium mean I need more or less FAE? Perhaps I should make the holes larger

OfflineKazak
Friend

#20776249 - 10/31/14 08:39 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:
This is a terrible setup....you should build a proper SGFC

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    #20776250 - 10/31/14 08:39 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Growpeace said:
I only have about 2 inches of perlite but it is always staying humid as I mist the walls throughout the day, does aerial mycelium mean I need more or less FAE? Perhaps I should make the holes larger

Quote:

PussyFart said:
Quote:

Growpeace said:

This is a terrible setup....you should build a proper SGFC and ditch all that electronic crap honestly....stop monitoring your humidity, that made in china thing is garbage....and that fan is going to dry everything out.....

The chamber should be getting passive FAE constantly on it's own, without the need for any electronics....you need to mist the cakes gently with a fine mist until they glisten, then fan out the chamber just enough to cycle out the old air, for a drop in RH, so evaporation can take place.

You ONLY need to fan after misting, if you do not mist, then there is no reason to fan....

Quote:

PussyFart said:

Did you read any of this? You need to build a proper fruiting chamber. Nearly everything you're doing is wrong

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing My Mushies Properly? [Re: TheMustardTiger]
    #20776269 - 10/31/14 08:49 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Its hard to resist the urge initially to mad scientist a setup with timers and electronics. But eventually that urge will be replaced with the urge to grow mushrooms :thumbup:

OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
Re: Growing My Mushies Properly? [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #20776686 - 10/31/14 11:18 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I am in process of redoing the chamber to specs. Thanks guys I will post pics when complete.

OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
    #20779618 - 11/01/14 08:26 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Ok so I spent a good 4 hours yesterday preparing the new tub (by hand and screw driver lol), I have 1/4 inch holes every 2 inches on all 6 sides. The holes definitely seem to provide plenty of FAE because the RH went from 98-96 over night. So with these holes should I worry about misting the walls more often? And how often should I directly mist the cakes? I appreciate all the feedback you guys!

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20779628 - 11/01/14 08:34 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Misting the walls is pointless, mist the cakes. The cakes should be misted until they glisten, then fan for 30 seconds to get some evaporation going. Then leave them alone until they are no longer glistening. Repeat. 2-4 mistings a day is usually enough for most people.

OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
    #20779723 - 11/01/14 09:25 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks whyte! So I see in your pics you have the polyfill set up. Obviously its a bit more advanced but does it work better? For FAE and lack  of contams?

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

#20779743 - 11/01/14 09:32 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Growpeace said:
Thanks whyte! So I see in your pics you have the polyfill set up. Obviously its a bit more advanced but does it work better? For FAE and lack  of contams?

That setup is called a monotub and it's for bulk grows. Cakes belong in the SGFC, and bulks belong in the Mono.

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20779774 - 11/01/14 09:43 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MustardTiger66 said:
Quote:

Growpeace said:

That setup is called a monotub and it's for bulk grows. Cakes belong in the SGFC, and bulks belong in the Mono.

:whathesaid:

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

#20779777 - 11/01/14 09:44 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Both methods are covered extensively here, as they are some of the most common and most effective methods used.. Just type either of those into the search function and let your peepers go nuts.

--------------------

OfflineGrowpeace
Stranger
    #20780596 - 11/01/14 03:02 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

So I know it has been less than 24 hours since I fixed the terrarium but I just want to be sure the growth seems normal. I still have the electronic hygrometer as its all I have atm, but other than that does everything look good? Today will mark a week in the FC.

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

#20780647 - 11/01/14 03:17 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Growpeace said:
So I know it has been less than 24 hours since I fixed the terrarium but I just want to be sure the growth seems normal. I still have the electronic hygrometer as its all I have atm, but other than that does everything look good? Today will mark a week in the FC.

If by 'fixed' you mean that you've built it to spec, you do not need a hygrometer at all.

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #20780659 - 11/01/14 03:21 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

those hygrometers will always read nearly 100% in a sgfc. what really matters is the surface RH on the cake which will always be 100% anyway because you're misting them a few times a day and you have the verm rolled on them. The humidity in a SGFC should fluctuate dramatically between mistings often down into the 60% range but you would only see that with a calibrated analog hygrometer. Largely depending on temperature the humidity relative can be 20% different with a 10F difference but the absolute humidity will be the same.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder