Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCj-B
All the same...I saw it first.
Male

Loc: The Library of Babel
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #20650208 - 10/02/14 07:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

Illyabo said:
probably 8 years, just because they'd have to be little chip's

with a g sync monitor  though you could be 4k pc gaming tomorrow with 980 SLI's

you might be right man, i really want to try and see for myself..... in theory if it holds a decent 24fps could be solid w/ g-sync..... i vote shroomism needs to hunt one down for us and review, he lives in so-cal tech central and in gaming industry..... i'm fairly introverted and live in lil' ol' PNW and sure as shit won't have an opinion unless i buy one....

Yeah but Shroomism is also an illuminati globalist reptoid spy. His opinions are fluoride infused lies and deceptions.
Quote:

Illyabo said:
Quote:

Cj-B said:
:lol: 30 fps. I should hope that dual (or tri...) SLI GTX 980s would be able to get a bit more than 30 fps on the Witcher 3, and I should hope it'd get far, far more than that on 2 games that were released a year and a half ago.

I dunno man 970 in 3k(1140p) would probably get like 50-60frames so with v sync on that knocks it down to 30 unless you like adaptive but then it's not synced to your monitor

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

Cj-B said:
:lol: 30 fps. I should hope that dual (or tri...) SLI GTX 980s would be able to get a bit more than 30 fps on the Witcher 3, and I should hope it'd get far, far more than that on 2 games that were released a year and a half ago.

well, we're talking 2mil pixels vs 8 million pixels between 1080p and 2160p..... so it's not a surprise that 4k takes a fucking massive performance hit..... it may be a good decade before we see 4k reaching current 1080p performance levels for games w/ graphics as good as they are now.... you sure as shit won't be seeing 4k on gaming consoles any day soon

Whoops. :lol: I'm a dumbass. Totally misinterpreted and thought you guys meant 30 fps period. Didn't even occur to me to think you were referring to 4K.

--------------------
Steam - Sufficient Dakka - http://steamcommunity.com/id/boidsandtoitles

3DS Friend Code  1994-0764-2796

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #20651754 - 10/03/14 12:58 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

Maverick said:
So... I just received another Scholarship... Hey this 4.0GPA crap is starting to pay off.  I'm looking at doing all the sleeving myself on the wires, customizing it and doing an awesome color pattern.  And I'm going to possibly do tri-SLI with 980GTX's.

Quote:

Illyabo said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J56YSLM/?&tag=kotakuamzn-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|kotaku.com[type|link[postId|1641198162[asin|B00J56YSLM[authorId|5856732741879800112
here's an i7 4790
for 277$

Not what I need.  That thing's waay to underpowered.  I need the 16 threads.  I also need something I can overclock.  Those 5960x's go up to 4.8GHz on water.  That's 8 cores, 16 threads, that's some numbercrunching power.  The one you showed is also an LGA1150, not enough lanes.  Would be stupid of me to go that route considering I'm doing dual, possibly tri-SLI.  I'm looking for a 16x, 16x, 16x config, not 8x, 4x, 4x.  Would be a huge bottleneck on the GPUs.

you get huge high end nerdcore cred/envy from me if you go dual sli 980s :lol: start with that, you can always add another later! perhaps you'd be happier spending the bucks with larger ssds or something else than tri sli, especially for 1440p, miiiiight agree w/ that decision for tri if you went 4k, at that point every little bit helps.

still think your 1440p ips display is kind of a mistake for your needs, i do print work and need those fuckers..... view angles are great though on end user level for watching movies, but less than desirable for screan tear/stutter (i actually don't play twitch games so input lag is not huge deal for me)..... feel like you'd love that g-sync display for gaming.... just a thought, particularly when choosing between tri sli vs monitor designed for gaming, might make all the difference on an experiential level.

The IPS was never a mistake, I use it for modifying and editing photo shoots.  I have easily made an equal amount of money off my work as I have paid for the IPS.  My needs aren't necessarily gaming.  S0 the IPS has definitely been useful.

I will be crunching 13CNMR and PNMR data.  I will also be competing in overclocking events.  I will also do some gaming (maybe 10% of my use of the machine will be gaming).  There's also a good chance I'll be getting back into level design and 3d modelling.

I will eventually have more monitors, but the IPS will always be used for my photo editing and video rendering.  A nice 120Hz T/N would be nice for gaming though, and as a good secondary monitor.

Also, I want to mention I am not going for practicality in anyway shape or form with this build, you could call it the impracticality build if you want. :cool:  I really want to treat myself to a monster of a computer, something I've only ever dreamed of having, something that, until recently wouldn't have fathomed being able to own.  Heh.

I am calling this build "The Earwig" though, because those are my favorite insects, and I'm going to get an earwig laser-etched into the window :laugh:

Edited by Maverick (10/03/14 01:05 AM)

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #20676004 - 10/08/14 04:00 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:

you might be right man, i really want to try and see for myself..... in theory if it holds a decent 24fps could be solid w/ g-sync..... i vote shroomism needs to hunt one down for us and review, he lives in so-cal tech central and in gaming industry..... i'm fairly introverted and live in lil' ol' PNW and sure as shit won't have an opinion unless i buy one....

Ahh, I hadn't thought of that!  So with G-sync are the ridiculously high frame rates unnecessary?  Instead of the processing power going toward rendering high levels of detail 150x a second, could it instead then render super-uber-ultra detail in less fps and still produce a superior viewing experience?  Is there any reason to still have those crazy high frame rates with G-Sync?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #20677543 - 10/08/14 09:07 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Well it depends on if you've got say a 120Hz refresh rate on your screen then I bet you'd really benefit from high FPS alongside G-Sync.  I wonder, can you update monitors to gsync?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #20679177 - 10/09/14 10:56 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:

Ahh, I hadn't thought of that!  So with G-sync are the ridiculously high frame rates unnecessary?  Instead of the processing power going toward rendering high levels of detail 150x a second, could it instead then render super-uber-ultra detail in less fps and still produce a superior viewing experience?  Is there any reason to still have those crazy high frame rates with G-Sync?

G-Sync is just all about delivering buttery smooth framerate, making screen tearing a thing of the past and making FPS consistently stable.
People will still demand their super crazy high frame rates.

It can't be used instead to render super ultra high detail. It's basically just a technology that syncs the monitor's refresh rate to the GPU's render rate. So basically images display instantly when they are rendered, objects appears sharper, gameplay is smoother, which many people would say creates a superior viewing experience.

For some people this is like a dream come true.. screen tearing is a major longtime issue for some people.

For me it's whatever.. I'm not spending a bunch of money on a monitor anytime soon... I'm happy with my 1080p for now.. I'm not one to jump on the latest tech right when it comes out..
I'll get a 4k monitor for dirt cheap when the 8k monitors come out or whatever.

Nvidia did make a DIY addon card for G-Sync but only a certain monitor - http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2014/01/17/nvidia-g-sync-diy/1
Otherwise I think you just have to buy a G-Sync monitor, and they aren't really cheap. I think they all run at 144Hz too

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Shroomism]
    #20681161 - 10/09/14 06:15 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

with the 970 if you're using 1080p there's no point now the frames already hit above 60fps

If you SLI two 980's then you don't need g sync, but im not sure..

say you had a mobo with only one PCI-e 3.0 then g sync wouldn't be a bad idea

OfflineDeltaCepheid
Stranger
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Konyap]
    #20681635 - 10/09/14 07:52 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm impressed.

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Konyap]
    #20682136 - 10/09/14 10:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
with the 970 if you're using 1080p there's no point now the frames already hit above 60fps

If you SLI two 980's then you don't need g sync, but im not sure..

say you had a mobo with only one PCI-e 3.0 then g sync wouldn't be a bad idea

Having a super high framerate doesn't cancel out the purpose of g-sync at all.  In fact for me throughout the years I had the worst tearing issues on my uber game machines that had high end cards in them getting me 1938572459248 fps.  It used to piss me off so much that I could play an xbox (original) or ps1 game and somehow knowing they BARELY cut it above 30fps it would look rock smooth compared to whatever fps game I was playing on my much superior system.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: mndfreeze]
    #20683416 - 10/10/14 10:08 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah... typically the high FPS is what causes tearing to occur in the first place, due to the dynamic nature of the GPU rendering.
X game will be running at 150FPS, a scene or event will cause it to start rendering at 30 FPS, the loss in sync between the monitor's refresh rate and the GPU render rate causes the screen to tear as it jumps around in FPS. G-Sync just synchronizes the two... so you can run at your 35290974 FPS and even if it does drop to 40 FPS or whatever, the monitor will sync right along with it so you wont even notice. At least that's how I understand it.

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Shroomism]
    #20751238 - 10/25/14 11:16 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Sleeved my first set of cables!  Lot of work, it'll take me awhile to get this done, but fortunately I have some time.  I need to pick up a multimeter...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Maverick]
    #20751420 - 10/25/14 12:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Paracord?

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20751532 - 10/25/14 12:41 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Yes :laugh:

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Maverick]
    #20767506 - 10/29/14 11:12 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I have the following as of yesterday -

i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz
16GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
Gigabyte G1 GeForce GTX 980
ASUS Essence STX II
Samsung 28in 4K / 3840x2160 @ 1ms, 60Hz

Even with that beefy GTX 980 Far Cry 3 struggles at UHD res! But damn it looks good, and is quite playable, just could be better. However Rage with its id Tech 5 engine looks comparable and runs perfectly. There must be one particular setting I've got in there that is overloading the GTX a bit in FC3. Lovin it...

Anyone able to think of any other highly visual games that might be worth checking out with this setup?

Fucking huge debt on the credit card now though, oh well about time I joined this nation of debters.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

OfflineCj-B
Male

Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: circastes]
    #20767530 - 10/29/14 11:17 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

circastes said:
I have the following as of yesterday -

i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz
16GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
Gigabyte G1 GeForce GTX 980
ASUS Essence STX II
Samsung 28in 4K / 3840x2160 @ 1ms, 60Hz

Even with that beefy GTX 980 Far Cry 3 struggles at UHD res! But damn it looks good, and is quite playable, just could be better. However Rage with its id Tech 5 engine looks comparable and runs perfectly. There must be one particular setting I've got in there that is overloading the GTX a bit in FC3. Lovin it...

Anyone able to think of any other highly visual games that might be worth checking out with this setup?

Fucking huge debt on the credit card now though, oh well about time I joined this nation of debters.

Obvious answers (in no particular order) would be Metro: Last Light, Bioshock: Infinite, The Witcher 2, and The Wolf Among Us.

--------------------

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Cj-B]
    #20767600 - 10/29/14 11:44 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Familiar with Metro and Witcher 2. Just fired up Metro with everything maxxed, and wow! That has to be the best engine out at the moment. It's just been sitting there on my PC for ages too. I mean I would have played it for 5secs on my old hardware and it lagged too much so I gave up I think.

Here are some screens of Wolf New Order at 4K with everything maxxed / tweaked.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: circastes]
    #20767611 - 10/29/14 11:46 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Whoops I think that's just 2510xwhatever it is.

edit: Nope they were 4K, shroomery resized (and compressed badly) :happyhitler:

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Edited by circastes (10/29/14 11:59 AM)

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20771599 - 10/30/14 09:11 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Got more case supplies today.  Will be taking a few of the panels in for custom drilling to attach different things.  :smile:

OfflineCj-B
Male

#20774406 - 10/30/14 08:08 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Maverick said:
Got more case supplies today.  Will be taking a few of the panels in for custom drilling to attach different things.  :smile:

One hell of a long build. How much more needs to be done until it's completed? Also, just noticed the Mushishi avatar, :feelsgoodman:

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FINALLY building an over-the-line over-priced enthusiast machine! [Re: Cj-B]
    #20893834 - 11/26/14 04:28 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

There have been no waterblocks made for the classified yet and they aren't coming out until sometime in January- I am building my PC now, ordering the parts, so what GTX 980 should I get that has a reference design or has a waterblock for it?

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20921671 - 12/03/14 08:41 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Stuff has arrived-

The rest should be here today!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom