Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAvocado
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Clare, Ireland Flag
Just a few stupid questions
    #20586802 - 09/19/14 02:42 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hello,
I have a few stupid questions to ask;

1. I've read that many little brown mushrooms are best sought after in the morning after a night of heavy rain. This creates best conditions for growing, supposedly. Do mushrooms really spring up that quickly overnight? Wouldn't it be a few days at least for any mushroom to grow from nothing into something - easily identifiable, and developed enough for picking?

2. Generally, good places to scout for hallucinogens are pastures, gardens, woods, on dung, deadwood, and tree stumps. Any other good places worth mentioning?

3. What's the best container to collect wild mushrooms? I have read that placing them into a plastic bag helps dissolve them. Are paper bags the best container?

4. How long do you have once you've picked a mushroom before it goes bad?

5. When you eat a mushroom, do you also eat the stem? Are there any major species that have parts with no hallucinogenic properties, or harmful elements meant to leave to one side?

6. There's a good list on this site of hallucinogens sited in different countries, but I'm wondering if you could share another site, or an updated list that expands upon it. There's only four listed for Ireland!

7. Do grazing animals tend to eat mushrooms they find, or do they avoid them?

8. Can you depend on an area to grow the same species of mushroom the very next year? If you were to pick an area clean early in the month, would the same species grow again?

Edited by Avocado (09/19/14 02:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Just a few stupid questions [Re: Avocado]
    #20589011 - 09/19/14 03:10 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

First off, this s the wrong place for this kind of thread. Though the university is about education i think it is meant for teaching threads. I will do my best to answer your questions though.

1: Smaller mushrooms can pop up overnight. Some even pop up during the night/ morning and die when the sun comes out due to how small and frail they are. LBM's in general are hard to identify though since there are so many and there appearance can vary just like any other mushroom.

2: That is a pretty good list, rivers and streams are one more that comes to mind. And farms/ stables or barns.

3. I have used plastic bags with pretty good success. You just have to make sure not to smash them if you put em in a backpack or something. I hear paper bags/ baskets work pretty well. Closable tupperware would probably work great as well.

4: I would say this depends on the mushroom. Really moist frail mushrooms start decaying pretty quickly, say 2-4 hours~ until it starts. Where mot mushrooms I would say you have a pretty good amount of time, like 6 hours~ at least. It really depends on how you are storing them though and what mushroom. If you pick em and get them home withing several hours to dry they should be fine.

5: Some people say caps are more potent but without reliable testing who knows? I personally don't like waste so I eat the whole mushroom. Some edible mushrooms have pretty tasty stems. I think generally if a mushroom is psychedelic the whole mushroom is, same with poisonous. Though I am sure there are some with extra poisonous tops.

6: I cant think of any great lists of the top of my head. I would use the forum search function and the internet to research what you need to know. I am sure there is info out there, though Ireland may not be the best documented pace for mushrooms :shrug:

7: It depends on the animal and the mushroom I would say. I have friends with dogs who allegedly used to go eat mushrooms out of the woods. Animals and bugs do eat them yes.

8: If you pick carefully and don't destroy the patch then yes it should fruit the next year. Sometimes spots dry up or get over picked but if you are careful or take the time to help the patch they actually can get bigger every year.

I hope this helps, goodluck!
:raisemyglass:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisibleAvocado
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Just a few stupid questions [Re: musiclover420]
    #20589670 - 09/19/14 06:09 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Duly noted. Thanks for the answers.

InvisibleTimmiTM
 User Gallery

Loc: Victoria Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Just a few stupid questions (moved) [Re: Avocado]
    #20665004 - 10/06/14 06:20 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

This thread was moved from Shroomery University.

Reason:
Wrong forum

InvisibleAvocado
Stranger
 User Gallery

Just a few stupid questions [Re: Avocado]
    #20738766 - 10/22/14 04:00 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

9. How are you meant to dry mushrooms with intentions to preserve them? I don't have access to a mechanical fan. What are the consequences of stuffing wet/semi-dry mushrooms in a jar?

10. How are you meant to weigh a pile of mushrooms as small as these? I own weighing scales, but measuring anything less than 10 grams is too difficult.

InvisibleLhun
Fungal Fixation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Other side of your screen...
Trusted Identifier
    #20738806 - 10/22/14 04:10 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Avocado said:
9. How are you meant to dry mushrooms with intentions to preserve them? I don't have access to a mechanical fan. What are the consequences of stuffing wet/semi-dry mushrooms in a jar?

They will rot if put in a jar semi-dry.  Try laying them out in a place with low humidity and good airflow.  Mushrooms as small as those libs should dry just fine.

Quote:

Avocado said:
10. How are you meant to weigh a pile of mushrooms as small as these? I own weighing scales, but measuring anything less than 10 grams is too difficult.

If you want to weigh something small, you need a smaller scale.  Try something digital perhaps.  Not really any other options.

Offlinechomper86
Stranger
Re: Just a few stupid questions [Re: Lhun]
    #20738844 - 10/22/14 04:20 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for asking the stupid questions Avocado, because I had some of the same questions myself. :smile:

I'm in Ireland too and got my first libs this evening.

InvisibleAvocado
Stranger
 User Gallery

Just a few stupid questions [Re: chomper86]
    #20738904 - 10/22/14 04:33 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

chomper86 said:
Thanks for asking the stupid questions Avocado, because I had some of the same questions myself. :smile:

I'm in Ireland too and got my first libs this evening.

Cool beans. How close are you?

InvisibleAvocado
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20743620 - 10/23/14 03:48 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

It only took three hours for the fan inside of the computer processor to dry this sample. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel something isn't right with these. They appear to be a shell of what they looked like fresh - they really shrivel into thin, weedy, little paper things. They're all stuck together now. I guess whenever I'm ready to take some, I'll pull out a 'ball' from the jar instead of taking apart individual mushrooms. The fan inside the processor is quite hot - could it have ruined the potency of the mushrooms? I feel like there can't be much remaining in these weedy things. Everything look OK otherwise? I plan on placing three silica gel packets at the bottom of the jar, then some kitchen paper, then heap in the dried weeds.

InvisibleAvocado
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20750007 - 10/25/14 12:17 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Do these look dry enough to you?
The caps are still spongy, the stems still bendy, but I can't imagine them getting much drier.

Are you meant to open silica gel and toss in the beads, or just leave in the packets? If you just leave them in, why separate the mushrooms with a permeable barrier?

InvisibleLhun
Fungal Fixation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Other side of your screen...
Trusted Identifier
    #20750087 - 10/25/14 12:59 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

They need to be cracker dry, there should be no bend left in them.  And don't worry, they will shrink up quite a bit.  There is just a lot of moisture in a mushroom.  I would put them back under the fan.  :awesomenod:

A simple dehydrator would be better, but I'm sure the computer fan will do.

Offlineloco801
The lone ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: NW Washington
    #20750097 - 10/25/14 01:04 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

They look somewhat dry. They do get very small and brittle when dried completely. Yes they stick to things including paper so be sure to move them once and a while.

I would space them out more and continue drying.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Species found::mushroom2:
P. azurescens
P. cyanescens
P. semilanceata
P. pelliculosa
P. stuntzii
G. luteofolius
Pan. cinctulus

OfflineOregonic
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Just a few stupid questions [Re: loco801]
    #20750278 - 10/25/14 03:55 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

When libs are completely dry the way they should be, not only will they be crunchy and 'cracker dry', but they will also shrink to a small fraction of their size, and in mass will almost look like a pile of dry small twigs almost, to the untrained eye. A large percentage of a mushroom is water... once that water is gone, much of the mushroom's mass is gone...

What do you mean you don't have access to a mechanical fan? Any fan that creates any bit of airflow really helps, especially if you're in a low humidity environment.  Although a food dehydrator is best. You really want to be careful how the mushroom's are stored, especially long term, if you are unable to dry them with a food dehydrator. Use a desiccant. Some folks use a oven at a very low setting... but I can't speak personally on that. But definitely pay attention to detail when it comes to drying for storage.

Weighing your dose is a very good idea... and you won't be able to do that accurately with a scale that only has a resolution of < 10 grams. A scale that can accurately weigh objects to 0.1/g is very inexpensive. Not sure how easy to obtain in your country... but hell... even an old triple beam will work if you can find one! Haha. But I imagine you can obtain a decent scale, and I highly, highly recommend accurately weighing your dose.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates