Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Simplepowa]
    #20746757 - 10/24/14 10:09 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

There is nobody wanting to hurt anyone.

The problem is, we sometimes don't understand fully x or y disease, so we prescribe what we have best currently for this or this. And sometimes what is best isn't that much miraculous haha

I agree that we over prescribe things, but remember that when people go the the doctor, if they don't come out with a prescription for something they think the doctor is shit. Some doctor do feel a pressure from patient to prescribe things, some other just don't give a shit about over prescribing and some others really make a great job and understand the implication in prescribing molecule just for prescribing them.

Anyway I need to go, so bye.

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemisterogerz

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Simplepowa] * 1
    #20746779 - 10/24/14 10:14 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

While I am not against the selling of supplements and drugs, proper education on health and foods ect. should be a priority. Hell they used to give kids heroin and created a shit ton of addicts. It's the demonization of a pretty much non-toxic plant with so much industrial and medical benefits, because it cuts into the business of so many other areas, even the recreational booze that has no medical value other than killing bacteria. If not for the cannabis plant, Europeans would have had much more difficulty getting to the Americas since historically, most sails, rope, and things were primarily constructed from hemp where available.

OfflineYukon Cornelius
Bumble Wrangler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Peppermint Mines
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Simplepowa]
    #20746833 - 10/24/14 10:25 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Simplepowa said:
Lol.

I hope that you guys realize that the people working on these new molecule, these new meds, they are doctorate and post-doctorate people devoting their life trying to help all the people struck with x or y disease.

They devote their time, their energy to problem resolution surrounding complex molecular and biochemical mechanism.

Yes there are example in the industry of product with no real benefit compared to another one previously already on the market (read here, competition between corporation for a share of the profit that can be made on says, people with acidity problem with their stomach), but this is not the majority of the case, oh fuck no.

I don't understand why you don't cry over to the bread seller and accusing him of selling bread to line his pockets and just make you poor because, shit, you need to eat and food should be free!

Plants, must of the time, have compounds that can be ameliorated for a higher activity and a higher specificity to the target we are aiming. And we need researcher to do that, and corporation to invest in it, make it pass all clinical trial and make it accessible to the general public.

It won't pop out of nowhere in your hand.

People need to work on this issue, and making money is part of the process. Nothing bad here.

I can agree with this to a certain extent. However plant alkaloids are a vital starting point to develop more effective medications, although its just a starting point and further development is necessary to create an optimal drug.

In regards to the pharmaceutical industry I don't blame them for making money, I blame them for drug mongering for "diseases" like mild alcoholism and profiting at the expense of public health.

Watch the documentary American Addict and you'll see where I'm coming from, they provide an essential service to society but simultaneously exploit us.

--------------------
"I didn't know chicken's wore suspenders" - Towelie

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Yukon Cornelius]
    #20747079 - 10/24/14 11:33 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yukon Cornelius said:
Quote:

Simplepowa said:
Lol.

I hope that you guys realize that the people working on these new molecule, these new meds, they are doctorate and post-doctorate people devoting their life trying to help all the people struck with x or y disease.

They devote their time, their energy to problem resolution surrounding complex molecular and biochemical mechanism.

Yes there are example in the industry of product with no real benefit compared to another one previously already on the market (read here, competition between corporation for a share of the profit that can be made on says, people with acidity problem with their stomach), but this is not the majority of the case, oh fuck no.

I don't understand why you don't cry over to the bread seller and accusing him of selling bread to line his pockets and just make you poor because, shit, you need to eat and food should be free!

Plants, must of the time, have compounds that can be ameliorated for a higher activity and a higher specificity to the target we are aiming. And we need researcher to do that, and corporation to invest in it, make it pass all clinical trial and make it accessible to the general public.

It won't pop out of nowhere in your hand.

People need to work on this issue, and making money is part of the process. Nothing bad here.

I can agree with this to a certain extent. However plant alkaloids are a vital starting point to develop more effective medications, although its just a starting point and further development is necessary to create an optimal drug.

In regards to the pharmaceutical industry I don't blame them for making money, I blame them for drug mongering for "diseases" like mild alcoholism and profiting at the expense of public health.

Watch the documentary American Addict and you'll see where I'm coming from, they provide an essential service to society but simultaneously exploit us.

Well said. Why can't we have a middle ground? Where we use cheap, easily available natural medicines for the majority of ailments, which we can treat with them and still develop pharmaceuticals to fulfill specific roles which AREN'T met better by natural medicines.

OfflineJohnny Depp
 User Gallery
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: badchad]
    #20747527 - 10/24/14 01:17 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

/

Edited by Johnny Depp (12/20/14 03:18 AM)

Invisiblemisterogerz

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Johnny Depp]
    #20748936 - 10/24/14 07:18 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Johnny Depp said:
You have to admit, "War on marijuana unconstitutional, leading researchers testify in court Monday" is a less compelling, yet more accurate title.

:zoidberg:

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: misterogerz]
    #20749520 - 10/24/14 09:53 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:ilold:

Oh, Reagan

:aweoverdose:

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Johnny Depp]
    #20750428 - 10/25/14 05:59 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Johnny Depp said:
Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

Johnny Depp said:
I clicked on this article because it said "doctors" and I thought, oh, hmm, that's interesting, MDs taking the time and putting their reps on the line to support cannabis publicly.  Then I saw it was a retired doctor and a PhD psychologist.  Damn you media!  Hooked me with one of your sensationalist headlines again! :lol:

You do know that Hart is a faculty member at an ivy league school, and that the department someone holds a faculty position in (e.g., psychology) has almost no bearing on the actual research studies they do.  Hart is well-recognized leader in substance abuse research.  Most of the leading research isn't even done by MD's.  Rather, its the MD's that rely on the researchers to generate the most up to date knowledge.

calm down "doctor"

I have full respect for these guys.  I never said MDs do much research.  My point is that the title of the article is misleading.  The wording sort of implies that a group of practicing MDs or DOs got together for this thing.  Because when someone says "doctor" people don't think, doctor of philosophy, doctor of neurophsycology, doctor of law.  They think MD.  You have to admit, "War on marijuana unconstitutional, leading researchers testify in court Monday" is a less compelling, yet more accurate title.  And if that had been the title, I wouldn't have clicked the story, because stories where researchers support marijuana and political stuff are pretty common these days.  The tide of prohibition is turning.  I don't think I need to read every story about every little step.  But normally practicing MDs wouldn't do this sort of thing, because like you said, they aren't privy to all the latest research, and they are busy trying to actually help real people with medical problems, not getting caught up in political BS.  I was curious about what that was about.  So do you understand where I am coming from?  It could have been a story with a misleading title about anything that I thought I would be interested in and then wasn't because the article was not really about what its title was made out to be.  I posted my thought because #1. I thought it was funny and #2. I was taking a #2 and had the time (as I am right now) :poop:  and also #3 I thought others could relate.

"Leading researchers" is a much more compelling title to anyone with a slight interest in or understanding of the scientific method.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: XTCentral]
    #20761259 - 10/27/14 08:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Should the Feds reclassify marijuana? US judge holds hearing

The classification of marijuana as a Schedule I drug was upheld as recently as last year, but now, defense attorneys in a criminal case have the opportunity to argue in a three-day hearing that the status should change.

In a case that some say could change the relationship between the states and the federal government regarding marijuana, a US district judge in Sacramento, Calif., has granted a three-day hearing starting Monday that challenges the federal ban on the substance.

At issue is the classification of marijuana by the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) as a Schedule I drug, established in the early 1970s. That is the same classification given to heroin, LSD, and Ecstasy. The status was reaffirmed in 2011 and upheld in a federal appeals court last year.

The hearing stems from a criminal case involving several men who were charged with growing marijuana on national forest land. The current evidentiary hearing was granted by Judge Kimberly Mueller after two San Francisco attorneys filed a motion last November to dismiss the charges on grounds that the indictment is unconstitutional. The defense attorneys are arguing that "marijuana does not fit the criteria of a Schedule I Controlled Substance" and shouldn't have been used to target their client.

“It’s earth-shattering to even have this hearing,” says Adam Levine, adjunct professor at Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport, Fla. “The fact that the judge is willing to hear this case means she is willing to question if the DEA’s original classification is constitutional.” He puts the chances of such a finding at “better than even.”

According to Kris Hermes, spokesman for the medical marijuana-related group Americans for Safe Access, the case could affect pending ones in Vermont, Colorado, and Washington – where states filed petitions to reschedule marijuana for medical use in 2011. And it could have bearing on the raids conducted last week at two medical marijuana dispensaries in West Hollywood and Westwood, Calif.: It could remove the legal premise underpinning the raids.

“So far, the DEA has given no explanation for these raids,” says Mr. Hermes, adding that both facilities operate in accordance with local and state laws. But he is encouraged that Judge Mueller is going to look at evidence, which he says courts have refused to do for decades in cases that his organization has been involved with.

Others are more skeptical about the current hearing changing anything, saying the standard that has to be met in court is very high.

“This constitutional challenge to the federal government’s regulation of marijuana is unlikely to succeed,” says Michael Moreland, vice dean of the Villanova University School of Law near Philadelphia, in an e-mail. To win, he says, the defendants have to show that the current classification of marijuana is unreasonable.

“That’s a very high legal standard to meet. Advocates of legalized marijuana have a better chance convincing Congress or the DEA to change the classification of marijuana. There is a process already in place to reclassify a drug, and I think federal courts will be reluctant to interfere with that,” he writes.

Others note that any ruling in this case would relate solely to the specific defendants in the case and could become broader only if appealed to higher courts.

Stanford law professor Robert MacCoun agrees that the case isn’t as strong as some may hope. “If we were starting from scratch, I very much doubt we'd put marijuana in Schedule I. But now that it's there, it isn't easy to move it out,” he writes in an e-mail.

All say that more would be known about the possible medical benefits of marijuana if the federal government had made it easier to study the drug scientifically. Now, they say, the question will be less the real or perceived benefits of marijuana and more its potential for danger.

Professor Levine and others see marijuana as less dangerous than other drugs on the Schedule I list, noting the fatal consequences often attached to heroin, for example. There are arguably greater dangers connected with some non-Schedule I drugs, too, including alcohol, cigarettes, and prescription drugs.

For a change in classification to happen, Professor MacCoun thinks more public acceptance is required, reflected in new lawmakers and laws.

“Perhaps court cases can resolve this,” he says. “But I think it is more likely to happen if and when state legalization spreads far enough to force us to confront the contradictions.”

(http://news.yahoo.com)

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineObservatory
Male

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #20773223 - 10/30/14 03:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

so what happened?

--------------------
Look around you

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Loc: rainbow land
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Observatory]
    #20778576 - 10/31/14 09:24 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: treesniper119] * 1
    #20778602 - 10/31/14 09:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

According to TheLeafOnline.com (see also SFGate's Smell the Truth Blog), federal prosecutors stumbled badly during the cross-examination of Dr. Carl Hart on the medical benefits of marijuana during yesterday's evidentiary hearing before Judge Mueller:

Assistant US Attorney Gregory Broderick stumbled badly in his cross-examination of Dr. Carl Hart in federal evidentiary hearings to determine the constitutional basis of the federal Schedule I classification of cannabis, appearing at times to even tacitly endorse the idea that cannabis has medical value. In hearings conducted on October 27th by the Hon. Kimberly Mueller in the federal Eastern District of California in the matter of US v Schweder, attempts by US Attorneys to paint Hart – who teaches neuroscience at Columbia University and sits on an advisory board to the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) – as a researcher blinded by his personal biases blew up, at times embarrassingly, in their faces.

In one dramatic example, Broderick asked Hart about the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM), which is published by the American Psychiatric Association and contains a definition of “substance use disorder” (AKA addiction) which has been regarded as definitive by courts. Noting that the substance abuse standard promulgated by the 4th edition of the DSM (the DSM-IV) results in an oft-quoted 9% rate of dependence among lifetime users of cannabis, Broderick requested Hart’s comment.

But Hart appeared to stun Broderick with his response that the newest version of the DSM, the DSM-V, explains that tolerance and withdrawal from cannabis are “normal symptoms to be expected of legitimate medical cannabis use” in states where it is legal. (This point was later expanded upon by the testimony of Dr. Philip Denny, another expert witness for the defense.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll dab to that.:lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Bertha Madras, the only government expert witness to take the stand in the evidentiary hearings scheduled by Judge Kimberly Mueller in the Eastern District of California for October 24-30, boldly asserted that while other substances may have demonstrable therapeutic benefits, only drugs which met extremely strict standards promulgated by the Food and Drug Administration could properly be called ‘medicine.’ The question is central to cannabis’ continued classification as Schedule I under the federal Controlled Substances Act, because it is the only one of the five schedules reserved exclusively for drugs lacking any medical value.

NORML attorney Zenia Gilg wasted little time attacking Dr. Madras’ expertise, pointing out within the first five minutes of her cross-examination that Madras, who has a PhD in biochemistry and served as an addiction adviser to the George W. Bush presidency, had never actually treated any patients or directly observed the effects of cannabis on humans. Instead Madras, who also teaches at Harvard Medical School, testified that she based her cannabis expertise entirely on the fact that she had “read the literature” on the subject. This experience directly contrasts with that of Dr. Carl Hart and Dr. Philip Denney, both expert witnesses for the defense who based their testimony in opposition to continued Schedule I classification on a combination of literature review and actual clinical experience (Dr. Hart directly studies the effects of cannabis on human subjects in his laboratory, and Dr. Denney attended to over 12,000 patients in his career as a physician). At times, her lack of firsthand knowledge became painfully obvious, especially when she claimed that the THC potency of cannabis found in dispensaries could be “between 1 and 30 percent.”

height.200.no_border.width.200Despite lacking any firsthand knowledge of the human effects of her opinions, Dr. Madras confidently testified that plant-based cannabis was simply not medicine – although her definition of the term bordered at times on the tautological. For example, when Gilg questioned Madras about a study co-authored by Dr. Hart which showed that plant cannabis and Marinol (synthetic THC in pill form) were found to be equally effective in treating the symptoms of AIDS wasting syndrome, she quibbled about the study design, complaining that she’d “like to see how they did the side effect profile.” Even so, just a few minutes later, when attempting to explain the supposed superiority of single-ingredient medications over plant-based medications, she referred again to the Hart study, claiming with a winning smile that it “shows that single-chemical extracts can be just as effective. That’s a good take-home lesson.” Curiously, she made no mention of any supposed limitations of the Hart study the second time she discussed it.

Madras held steadfastly to her assertion that single-ingredient medications were categorically superior to plant-derived therapies, applying the logic even to the individual compounds found in cannabis resin. In particular, she called the promise of the therapeutic benefit of cannabidiol (CBD) “tantalizing,” even while calling plant cannabis “completely different” on the basis that “the interaction of cannabinoids is different than the action of individual cannabinoids,” an apparent reference to the entourage effect, the process by which the various components of cannabis resin apparently work together synergistically in a way that’s more effective than the sum of their individual parts. Indeed, she went so far as to admit that the entourage effect is “helpful,” yet continued to insist that only single-ingredient drugs could be medicine. At this point, Gilg appeared to catch Madras in a contradiction, eliciting testimony in which the professor said that she “wanted to see more studies of the individual cannabinoids” on the basis that some of them seemed to have “promise” as single-ingredient isolates. Yet when Gilg addressed Madras’ attention to about a dozen studies researching the very individual cannabinoids the witness had said she wanted to see, Madras was forced to admit that although she was aware that the studies in question existed, she had never actually read them.

Gilg attempted to rebut Madras’ claim that no adequate studies showing the medical benefits of cannabis existed by showing her the results of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials – which Madras herself called the “gold standard” of medical research – which revealed significant improvement for cannabis patients in various ways. Nevertheless, Madras dismissed nearly all of them, complaining that only experienced cannabis smokers had been recruited for the majority of the trials and insisting that because those studies hadn’t also included “naive users” in the drug population, their results were invalidated for everyone. “Does that mean,” retorted Gilg, “that the FDA only approves a drug if it believes it is useful for a majority of people?” Madras stumbled and stammered noticeably before explaining that she only meant to say that she would have preferred a more stringent study design.

At the end of a contentious afternoon session Madras’ cross-examination remained incomplete, and the parties adjourned to resume Thursday morning for the hearing’s final day. Dr. Madras stepped down from the witness stand and, as she approached the prosecutor’s table, Assistant US Attorney Richard Bender could be overheard asking the professor, “Is your brain in the mood to be buzzed?” – an apparent invitation to share alcoholic drinks.

Madras, true to form to the very end, declined.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert defense's stumbling and bumbling along....:objection:

All the anti cannabis rhetoric and propaganda is going down in flames...:spank:

:cheers:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The testimony in the evidentiary hearing over the constitutionality of classifying marijuana as a schedule I controlled substance closed today at noon after government witness Dr. Madras finished her testimony.  U.S. v. Schweder, et. al., No. 2:11-CR-0449-KJM.

Judge Mueller ordered the parties to submit a list of exhibits the parties agree may be admitted and/or any objections to exhibits by November 7.  She also ordered the parties to submit a proposed schedule for final briefing and oral argument by that same date.  A status conference was set as a control date for November 19, at 9:00 a.m.

Edited by treesniper119 (10/31/14 09:36 PM)

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: treesniper119]
    #20778675 - 10/31/14 09:48 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:fuckinawesome:
:rainingjoints:
Thanks for the update, that was a great read. Sounds like a hilarious court battle. I wonder what the new proposed scheduling will be.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: musiclover420]
    #20783512 - 11/02/14 10:13 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

This is amazing, and should be getting much more attention :thumbup:
Time to go to pub!

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: Learyfan]
    #20783693 - 11/02/14 11:05 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

“Although more than 30% of current therapeutic drugs are plant-derived, no one currently eats or smokes foxglove plants to treat a heart condition, chews cinchona bark to alleviate malaria symptoms, or eats opium poppies to relieve post-surgical pain,” Madras writes.

Guess she never head of opium and belladonna suppositories...

Some expert...  Also, foxglove and cinchona are both unscheduled and people can and do use them legally for medicinal use without even needing a prescription.  The reason there aren't many plant based drugs prescribed has more to do with money than actual effectiveness.  You can't patent a plant (unless you are Monsanto) so pharma companies have little incentive to get plant based drugs approved.

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: fapjack] * 1
    #20784242 - 11/02/14 01:59 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Judge Kimberly Mueller announced an end to five days of federal evidentiary hearings on the constitutionality of cannabis’ Schedule I status, requesting extensive briefings from the parties which realistically could delay her ruling by two months or more.

On October 30th, the final day of the often contentious review of complex scientific and policy evidence, former deputy drug czar Dr. Bertha Madras held her ground in insisting that cannabis lacks any accepted medical value, although NORML attorney Zenia Gilg managed to expose some of the researcher’s apparent biases. Following up on Dr. Madras’ stated opinion that too few clinical trials had been conducted with cannabis to satisfy FDA standards, Gilg presented the researcher with evidence that a majority of new drug applications approved by the FDA between 2005 and 2012 had included only one or two trials. After a couple of evasive answers, Madras finally admitted that “I never said there had to be more than one trial.”

Gilg, who had grown in equipoise through the course of the week and came out in top form on the hearing’s final day, scored again a few minutes later. Challenging her contention that there was no way to reliably reproduce the chemistry of a plant-based drug, Gilg forced Madras to admit that the federal government’s own cannabis farm, operated under the auspices of Dr. Mohamed ElSohly at the University of Mississippi, was able to control the chemical makeup of their produce and “manipulate it precisely for clinical trials.”

“So,” Gilg quickly followed up, “NIDA can reproduce this, but what’s happening in unregulated markets is not controlled?”

“Precisely,” answered Madras.

But by far the worst damage Gilg was able to inflict against the professor’s credibility came when she called her to answer for the very findings she cited in her declaration in favor of Schedule I status (thanks to John Balazs for posting these briefs). For example, Madras claimed that cannabis had a high potential for abuse in part because of the sheer prevalence of its abuse in absolute numbers, citing the annual NSDUH survey, which she declared one of the most authoritative data sets available to researchers studying US population trends. But when Gilg pointed out that the NSDUH survey actually showed that the number of diagnoses of cannabis use disorder remained flat from 2002 to 2012, Madras prevaricated, insisting that one had to also look at a separate study showing trends in adolescent use. But Gilg presented her with the very study she cited, and asked her to read the numbers showing that adolescent admissions for cannabis use disorder treatment had fallen over the same ten year period. Madras continued to demur, insisting she still needed to see “alternate numbers.”

Gilg lunged for the jugular. “So five minutes ago,” she demanded forcefully, “these were great data, but now they’re not good numbers?”

“I do not question the veracity of these numbers,” Madras finally admitted, calling them “solid surveys.”

Under Gilg’s interrogation, Madras also appeared to endorse a number of glaring double standards between what she called legitimate medicine and so-called “drugs of abuse,” which she defined as any agent which causes feelings of euphoria in the user. While testifying that she would be “comfortable” with a two-year period to test the long-term effects of a cannabinoid-based drug like Sativex, for example, she later testified that she would not be satisfied of the long-term effects of smoked cannabis without a study conducted over at least fifty years. She also drew sharp contrasts between the operation of endogenous cannabinoids like anandamide and exogenous cannabinoids like THC, labeling the former as “normal” and the latter as “abnormal” simply on the basis that cannabinoids like THC trigger feelings of euphoria in reward centers of the brain. She returned to the theme again when Gilg challenged her on the results of brain imaging scans which purported to show changes in brain structure in heavy cannabis users. “Perhaps,” she conjectured with a broad grin, “people who use marijuana simply begin with abnormal brains.”

Madras continued to insist on double standards when testifying about pre-clinical trials (such as experiments on rats) which she claimed showed evidence of cannabis’ long-term harm. Noting that Madras insisted that only randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials conducted with human subjects according to the strictest possible methodological standards could prove that cannabis was a medicine, Gilg pointed out that the rat studies Madras used to make her case (which the professor called “not dismissible”) fell far short of such rigors.

“Why,” asked Gilg, “can we use them [animal studies] to show it’s bad, but randomized, controlled clinical trials are not good enough to show the medical benefits of cannabis?”

“Because,” answered Madras, “the participants of those [human] trials had smoked cannabis before the study.”

Dr. Madras confidently drew her conclusions from what she called a vast range of knowledge drawn from “reading the literature” on the effects of cannabis, but under Gilg’s questioning it soon became obvious that the professor had been somewhat selective with her readings. For example, despite the fact that Madras had earlier testified that she had tried to be “fair” in her presentation of the evidence, she admitted under oath that she was “aware” of a study which showed that teen cannabis use had gone down in Colorado after voters demanded legalization there, but that she hadn’t “excavated the data” on the report and thus could not comment on it. She weaved a similar dance on the risks of stoned driving, confidently citing studies which purported to show an increase of THC metabolites in drivers killed in roadway accidents; but when Gilg presented her with another study which appeared to present conflicting evidence, Madras testified that she did not “have time to excavate this manuscript, but I know it disagrees with other research I’ve seen.”

Responding to earlier testimony, in which Madras insisted that if Gilg “could find even one study which looked at the long-term health effects of marijuana, I’ll evaluate my position,” the NORML attorney presented the professor with the results of a study on the health effects of patients enrolled in the federal IND program for medical cannabis which showed no major health problems to result from daily cannabis use over multiple decades. Seeming to sag somewhat, Madras admitted that although she was “aware” of the IND program in question, she was “not familiar with the results” of the study shown, despite the fact that it met the criteria she had demanded.

When Gilg asked why Madras, a Harvard professor with access to a world-class medical research library, didn’t locate research which the NORML legal committee had found themselves, Madras admitted that “I was unable to find it. That was a failure on my part.”

“But,” Madras protested in her defense, “there are thousands of studies on marijuana. It’s very difficult to study all of them.”

Edited by treesniper119 (11/02/14 02:04 PM)

OfflineSksoul
Pan handler
 User Gallery

Loc: Far East
Re: War on marijuana unconstitutional, doctors testify in federal court Monday [Re: treesniper119]
    #20786810 - 11/03/14 02:56 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I'm not big on marijuana, but congrats to pot-lovers everywhere.

--------------------
Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order