Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNightHaunter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Question about side pins
    #20734645 - 10/21/14 05:42 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I recently had a few pins pop up around the edge of my substrate along the monotob container itself. Nothing was going on in the middle at all. I had read that a soak may help rehydrate the sub if it feels a bit light, which it does.
However when I pulled the sub out by the garbage bag liner, I have a whole whack of both decent size and smaller mushies growing along the sides where the liner was. Are they safe to eat? they look fine. A few of the smaller ones are slightly whiter on the caps. Also a few of the ones I had already clipped have massive stems still between the sub and container. would I be fine with those as well?
Still super new with this stuff, trying to read and learn as much as I can, but I would rather ask than get sick or worse haha. Bit of a block of text but I truly appreciate any help. Thanks a bunch!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about side pins [Re: NightHaunter]
    #20734660 - 10/21/14 05:45 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Side and bottom fruits are ugly and smooshed but fine to eat yea.

What sort of liner do you use? I had the worst problems with them u ntill I bought thick thick ml plastic dropcloth

I like to use a clear liner too, you can see your pinset easier. Also, many times the top is fast to colonize but you would never know the sides or bottom could use a few more days with an opaque liner.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Edited by mushpunx (10/21/14 05:47 PM)

InvisibleNightHaunter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question about side pins [Re: mushpunx]
    #20734677 - 10/21/14 05:50 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I just used a generic black garbage bag. I placed it inside and cut it to fit before I put my sub in. might be why. First one so I didnt know how rough I could be pressing it down while I filled it. I didn't have enough spawn for a regular size tub due to contamination, so I got a much smaller one and used that. Think it's used for cds or something.

And thats not a bad idea about the clear liner. I was under the impression that the black liners are supposed to prevent side pins but if I am going to get them anyways I may as well use a clear one so I can see them. Any suggestions on getting the middle to pin other than to soak it? it feels very light, almost like a sponge the size of my tub. Best part about this is even when I screw something up I learn from it so no matter what happens I'm happy with the outcome lol

Edited by NightHaunter (10/21/14 05:52 PM)

OfflineTeeRoy87
the man in the box
Male

Re: Question about side pins [Re: NightHaunter]
    #20734710 - 10/21/14 06:00 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

iv heard of ppl taping along the bottom with black duck tape

--------------------
:jazzman:

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about side pins [Re: TeeRoy87]
    #20734756 - 10/21/14 06:09 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Its not light that causes side pins but the climate between the walls and the subs, the mushrooms like it. Having a thick liner that will kind of stick against the sub and shrink with it will help.

Also, do not tape the liner down it needs to shrink with the sub.

Some people dont use them and gave great results too. To me, its easy to make and keeps things neat

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

InvisibleNightHaunter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question about side pins [Re: mushpunx]
    #20734796 - 10/21/14 06:16 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thats good to know. I know my humidity isn't close to being high enough, I'm guessing thats why I havent had many pins on the top. I was misting it once a day. I read wax paper might help. Its my first one so the fact I got anything out of it is more than good enough for me. Any suggestions on how I might fix that?
I readjusted my polyfill as well. that seems to be alright now. its getting a decent amount of light, as well as an indirect breeze from a small fan. Thanks a bunch for the help and ideas. It's great there is a forum that actually helps the newbies instead of tearing them apart haha :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate