Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLittleDaddy
Male User Gallery

Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users * 3
    #20729586 - 10/20/14 03:41 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/20/technology/security/facebook-dea/
First Published: October 20, 2014: 1:08 PM ET

Facebook has sent a letter to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration demanding that agents stop impersonating users on the social network.
The letter follows a BuzzFeed report that revealed how the DEA seized a woman's phone and later created a Facebook account in her name.

Sondra Arquiett was unaware as the DEA masqueraded as her while speaking to her friends. The DEA even posted photos of her with her son and another photo of her alone in panties and a bra.
She has sued the DEA agent who set up the account. The Justice Department is backing him up, claiming federal agents have the right to do such things.
Now Arquiett has Facebook (FB, Tech30) on her side.
"The DEA's deceptive actions... threaten the integrity of our community," Facebook chief security officer Joe Sullivan wrote to DEA head Michele Leonhart. "Using Facebook to impersonate others abuses that trust and makes people feel less safe and secure when using our service."
The letter goes on to say that Facebook shut down the DEA's fake Arquiett account. It also demands that the DEA confirm it stopped all other cases of impersonation.

The DEA declined to comment and referred all questions to the Justice Department, which has not returned CNNMoney's calls.

How did the DEA end up with this woman's phone? In 2010, Arquiett was arrested and faced charges related to cocaine distribution. She pled guilty and received probation.
In legal filings, a federal prosecutor said Arquiett "implicitly consented by granting access to the information stored in her cell phone and by consenting to the use of that information to aid in an ongoing criminal investigations [sic]."
But in its letter, Facebook said it is "deeply troubled" by that legal position.
Privacy researcher Runa Sandvik, who advises the Freedom of the Press Foundation, explained it this way: It's one thing to strike a deal and become an informant. It's another to lose complete control of your online identity.
"Isn't this the definition of identity theft?" Sandvik asked.
This is only the latest case in which the technology firm comes head-to-head with the federal government on civil liberties issues.
Facebook has asked for more transparency about NSA spying on Americans. CEO Mark Zuckerberg has called President Obama to complain about it. And Facebook is fighting in court to have the Manhattan district attorney's office justify its seizure of 381 people's accounts.

--------------------
The hotter the battle, the sweeter Jah victory.
Put the heathen's back upon the wall.

Edited by LittleDaddy (10/20/14 03:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users [Re: LittleDaddy] * 1
    #20730559 - 10/20/14 07:21 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I can't believe they would back him up on something like that. That seems pretty BS to me. Maybe we should start impersonating DEA agents and cops, oh wait we would probably get in legal trouble. Hypocritical much?

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisibleChasingBliss
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Los Santos
Re: Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #20730632 - 10/20/14 07:35 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Posting pictures of her in her underwear has to be illegal. They just can't get away with that. I mean they will get away with it, but they shouldn't, it's sick. I'd love for someone to hack the agent's phone and post his dick-pics online. That'd teach him.

--------------------
:leaf:

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users [Re: ChasingBliss]
    #20730808 - 10/20/14 08:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

LIke some moron that likes to here himself talk is going to be embarassed at shocking some random stranger...

Offlinepsilohero
Stranger

Re: Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users [Re: LittleDaddy]
    #20732068 - 10/21/14 01:18 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

lul. dis dea doe

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users [Re: psilohero] * 1
    #20732143 - 10/21/14 02:16 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

"The DEA even posted photos of her with her son and another photo of her alone in panties and a bra."

That is quite a personal picture to post... I am half surprised the DOJ backs up the DEA doing this. Fuck this corrupt country. I've meet someone from old country Russia who escaped to US to avoid the corrupted communism never thinking she would see the same in the US yet sadly now she does. I met this lady a good few years ago.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users [Re: tacodude] * 1
    #20732186 - 10/21/14 02:57 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah it is truly despicable people get away with this, let alone be backed up by our own government. Were totally not living in a corrupt police state
:badmanthisfeels:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Facebook tells DEA to stop impersonating users [Re: musiclover420]
    #20749592 - 10/24/14 10:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
I can't believe they would back him up on something like that. That seems pretty BS to me. Maybe we should start impersonating DEA agents and cops, oh wait we would probably get in legal trouble. Hypocritical much?

It is a crime to impersonate a cop.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals