Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTurnpikeGates
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: castaway]
    #2088606 - 11/10/03 04:41 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Castaway: I think what you said there is really pretty deep, and it was where I was hoping this discussion would go. Care to elaborate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebrainwreck
Fungal Ally
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: TurnpikeGates]
    #2106892 - 11/14/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I used to share the romantic notion that schiz and other mental illnesses were signs of 'genius' or evolution that were persecuted by society. I used to untill my girlfriend of ten years succumbed rapidly and suddenly to a host of mental illnesses so extreme I took her to the emergency room finally. What we found out there changed my view of extreme mental illness forever.

I am here to tell you: Almost all mental illness is caused by actual physical maladies. Amongst those, most is due to simple food allergies. Eliminate the allergen from the diet, and the mental symptoms disappear. For some people it is wheat, for others it is certain additives. For my girlfriend, it turned out to be caffeine and chocolate. Check out the article posted below, and that whole site as well. It is very informative.

The Standard Recommended "Schizophrenia" Nutritional and Dietary Regimen: A remarkable 90% recovery rate:
http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/schizdiet.htm

( by the way, my research also uncovered suggestions that the increased adrenal activity in a sufferer will cause the brain to manufacture its own lsd - like compounds. Thus the similarity to tripping and the ability of those agents to aggravate a latent condition. )

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: brainwreck]
    #2108813 - 11/15/03 10:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Mental illness can be caused by just about anything. For some people, a strange reaction to chocolate could blow their minds into chaos. Still, a predispotion towards mental illness is required, regardless of the apparent cause of the insanity. Sure, your girlfriend's nuttiness may have been precipitated by chocolate and caffeine, but these drugs do not cause these problems in themselves. She must have had an extremely fragile mental self, that chocolate would drive her insane.

Drugs increase the risk of illness "coming out" (in people who are predisposed) because they fuck with your mind! Anything that alters one's consciousness will aggravate those with already fragile minds. I experiment only with LSD, mushrooms and pot. None of these drugs has driven me insane, but I have certainly had serious psychological issues concerning each one. Pot sometimes affects my memory so seriously at times that I feel I am no longer "myself". This same effects can be pleasurable, however, when I seek to forget my worries. Shrooms are an alien entity that penetrate your consciousness via naturally-produced tryptamines. Your mind is not entirely your own when you are on mushrooms - the mushrooms are playing an active role in your awarenss. this psychic partnership can be quite enjoyable for some, but disconcerting to others. Acid increases one's own innate (sober) awareness to the point that their mind is "opened". This is the most precious feeling in the world to some, but to others it creates uncomfortable dissociation, due to the sheer amount of self-awareness involved.

So in conclusion, I think the effects of psychedelic drugs can be reacted to in any way, including by mental illness. Someone who is likely to go insane because of drugs should know themselves well enough that they can avoid such a thing re-occuring.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies