Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

Loc: groin
Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement
    #20725335 - 10/19/14 05:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.alternet.org/atheist-jailed-100-days-refusing-religious-drug-rehab-wins-2-million-settlement

October 16, 2014  | 

A drug addict devoted to overcoming his addiction is accountable to many people, but God shouldn't be one of them.

It was the same sentiment shared by Barry Hazle when he sued his parole officer, California officials and Westcare California after his probation was revoked for a 2006 conviction for possession of methamphetamine. After being incarcerated for a year, Hazle was required to participate in a 90-day 12-step drug rehabilitation program with religious overtones.

Hazle says he told officials his atheism prevented him from participating in the program and insisted on a non-religious option, which he didn't get. During the 12-step program, staff found Hazle "disruptive," though in a "congenial way," and reported him to his parole officer. Hazle was sent to jail for 100 days for violating his parole. He ended up suing in a federal lawsuit for wrongful incarceration in violation of his religious liberty. It would take seven years and two court rulings for his lawyers to announce Tuesday that Hazle won a $1.95 million settlement against the state of California and its contractor, WestCare California.

"I just want to make sure that somebody else doesn’t have to go through this kind of thing,” Hazle said after the settlement was announced.

Though justice was finally served for Hazle, the case reveals that much of America has yet to respect the separation of church and state. In 2011, a Tulsa police officer disobeyed his commanding officer's order to attend an event organized by the Islamic Society of Tulsa. Though Captain Paul Fields was assured he wouldn't have to participate in any religious programming, he refused to attend, citing a "moral dilemma." A federal appellate court disagreed, saying his claim held no merit.

Then there is the case of the Indiana state trooper who asked a woman if she accepted Jesus Christ as her savior during a traffic stop earlier this month.

There are many more cases of those who violate people's right to religious liberty while representing state interests, but this is as much a societal issue as it is civil rights. We still live in a nation where a politician's road to the White House requires him or her to profess a love for God that is hardly required to do the job.

There is also a lot of hypocrisy among those who believe Americans should embrace God, or more specifically, the "right" God. Back in 2012 when Mitt Romney was running for president, many Christians were suspicious of his Mormon faith, even though a study released that year reported that Mormonism was the fastest growing religion in more than half of the United States. That election cycle revealed that even a man like Romney who wore his faith on both sleeves wasn't serving the "right" kind of God.

This is why the separation of church and state is so critical. America has enough class, racial and economic hierarchies to include religion in the the mix. As Think Progress noted in its story on Hazle, the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1947 case of Everson v. Board of Ed. of Ewing made it clear that Americans aren't required to serve any God:

"Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance....In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect “a wall of separation between church and State.”

Hopefully, Hazle's case adds one more brick to the wall that can protect us from those who want to use their religious views to suppress our religious liberties. If atheists become the majority population someday, believers will surely hope the same wall of separation will still be standing strong to protect their rights too.

--------------------
Multiplied

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetripologist
Stranger

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: Dickhead]
    #20725449 - 10/19/14 05:27 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hopefully he doesn't spend that money on more drugs.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: tripologist]
    #20725462 - 10/19/14 05:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

religous overtones and big fat paychecks from the gov't go hand in hand

OfflineChuckfinely
another round for me an my buddy

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: Dickhead]
    #20725464 - 10/19/14 05:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

ive always wondered about court ordered 12 step and religion

been afraid that if i was ever ordered to attend meetings that they would try to shove god down my throat

good for this guy:thumbup:

OfflineOrgasmicBanana
aka "PICO"
Female User Gallery

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: Chuckfinely] * 2
    #20725896 - 10/19/14 06:54 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Good, The fact that it has become commonplace for people to be required to attend 12 step programs is ridiculous and needs to stop. Good for him to spend seven years trying to change one particularly stupid aspect of our completely fucked up justice system. Plus now that he has 2 million dollars, his legal problems are a thing of the past.

OfflineIoRhinz
Male

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: OrgasmicBanana] * 1
    #20726050 - 10/19/14 07:21 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

This is absolutely awesome. I'm so happy for this guy. It looks like he got off the meth too. :fuckinawesome:

--------------------

OfflineLittleDaddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: IoRhinz]
    #20726194 - 10/19/14 07:43 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

good for this guy, but this article is drawing conclusions with poor backbones. Mitt Romney didn't just lose because of religion. That's converting such an abstract dilemma into one point.

--------------------
The hotter the battle, the sweeter Jah victory.
Put the heathen's back upon the wall.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: LittleDaddy]
    #20726484 - 10/19/14 08:38 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

great a meth head becomes a millionaire and I'm over here with student loans trying to make a change in the world.

Offlinesearching
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: Gorlax] * 6
    #20726711 - 10/19/14 09:32 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Gorlax said:
great a meth head becomes a millionaire and I'm over here with student loans trying to make a change in the world.

This meth head actually did change the world. He took a stand for separation of church and state.

--------------------

OfflineMinnesnowtaNice
FriendofHagrid
Male

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: searching]
    #20726825 - 10/19/14 10:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Meth head or not that's fucked up that they would do that, religion man shit

--------------------
we are all thought forms in a cloud of synchronistic events.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: searching]
    #20726826 - 10/19/14 10:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

pfft yeah because that was his agenda. not money. gtfo

InvisibleLiquidGlass
Glass Blower
 User Gallery

Loc: Pee En Double You
Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: Gorlax]
    #20727336 - 10/20/14 12:51 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That 2 mil is gonna buy a LOT of meth!

--------------------
Some art I've made Glass Art Gallery

I was raised a christian and was a stone-faced acid head
- Ken Kesey

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: LiquidGlass] * 3
    #20727431 - 10/20/14 01:46 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Why does possession of a drug one time lead to <drug>head slur? I bought a 6 pack Friday, am I a boozehead? Call me one and I punch you. People are so ready to put down users of "hard" drugs or just any other drug they don't do. Guess what shroom head the court sees us all as drug scum, including you. You don't get a free pass from the system because your DOC is a psychedelic.
I support users of all drugs who are stuck in "justice" system. Maybe we should all be unified instead of looking down our noses at people who choose different drugs than us.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: my3rdeye]
    #20727554 - 10/20/14 03:21 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That's a retarded statement. There's a fine line drawn between people enjoying a 6 pack and an alcoholic. Even in court mercy is given to drugs that are less likely to cause havoc. I bet you'd rather have possession of shrooms then any other hard drug.

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: Gorlax] * 1
    #20727674 - 10/20/14 05:14 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I have no idea what you are talking about. Someone caught with meth once is no more a "drug addict" than the guy who just bought a 6 pack is an "alcoholic". Maybe it was his first time buying it and he had never done it.
I consider terms like meth head or doper the same as a racial slur, I am fucking militant. All drug laws are a violation of my human rights and I refuse to accept any sort of "soft drugs are treated more softly" excuse about the scumbag justice system imposed on us. It's a garbage system not worth defending

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: my3rdeye]
    #20727711 - 10/20/14 05:54 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I've been to rehab twice and yes 12 step program is a psuedo religious program.  "God as you understand him" <--- That is a religious statement.  It works if you work it tho.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineAllGreyThumbs
Storage Container Aficionado
Male

Loc: Some savage little planet...
    #20727717 - 10/20/14 06:03 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

my3rdeye said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. Someone caught with meth once is no more a "drug addict" than the guy who just bought a 6 pack is an "alcoholic". Maybe it was his first time buying it and he had never done it.
I consider terms like meth head or doper the same as a racial slur, I am fucking militant. All drug laws are a violation of my human rights and I refuse to accept any sort of "soft drugs are treated more softly" excuse about the scumbag justice system imposed on us. It's a garbage system not worth defending

I agree.  It is imposed morality.  The forcing of belief systems upon people.  This is better than that an you will be punished until you agree with me.

Furthermore it is sometimes even necessary to make "mistakes" in life in order to learn.  It may well be that some individuals have to go through periods of drug "abuse" in order to eventually explore different ways of thinking.  The behavioral issues and tendencies that lead using drugs in a harmful manner may need to be exposed sometimes in order to resolve them.  People sometimes do have to see the error of their ways (if their are even errors) for themselves.

You can attempt to force people to adhere to ways of doing things, you can suppress whatever issues they may have, but that does not mean that those issues are resolved.  Like forcing a man not to steal still leaves you with a man that would steal if he could.

--------------------
I only use drugs medicinally.  If I don't my knees hurt from kneeling down.

Invisiblerusshroom
Plateful of Grateful
Female

Loc: Colorado
Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: tripologist]
    #20728070 - 10/20/14 09:05 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tripologist said:
Hopefully he doesn't spend that money on more drugs.

Why would it matter if he did?

--------------------

Offlinefatdabs420
Stranger

Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: Gorlax]
    #20728708 - 10/20/14 12:13 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Gorlax said:

Yet that meth head actually did something substantial for himself, for other people, took a lot time doing so, and got great results out of it. All you have to brag about so far is your debts that you have to owe back.

InvisibleJvells
Unity
 User Gallery

Loc: East coast Flag
Re: Atheist Jailed 100 Days for Refusing Religious Drug Rehab Wins $2 Million Settlement [Re: fatdabs420]
    #20728771 - 10/20/14 12:26 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Now imagine if he put a good chunk of that into some charity...then id really like the guy but i dont see that happening. Thats some shit id do

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom