Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Loc: PNW
First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please.
    #20712716 - 10/16/14 07:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Just moved up to Mendocino county and went on my first hunt. Haven't eaten any Amanita lanei in almost 2 years, a little rusty, so I would like some confirmation as well as a couple other IDs please. After seeing some other ones I got a little spooked at my A. lanei IDing skills.

I saw this guy 99% sure it's Amanita lanaei, all the familiar characteristics...

Then saw these ones. Margin not as striate, universal veil is more warty. Is it A. lanei as well or something else?

Then there were these guys. I got excited at first that I found more A lanei, but then upon closer inspection of the warty cap got a bit spooked they were something else. I'm guessing Amanita gemmata?

I am guessing Amanita vaginata

Not a clue.

Guessing Suillus caerulescens. These things were EVERYWHERE

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: WildernessMedic]
    #20712735 - 10/16/14 07:30 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

There is no Bluing on your Suillus, so it isn't caerulescens. Definitely a Suillus though.

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: Rhizohunter]
    #20713709 - 10/16/14 11:23 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bump...

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

#20713722 - 10/16/14 11:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with your Amanita vaginata to the point where I would eat it

I don't know about your other Amanitas though

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: Rhizohunter]
    #20713803 - 10/16/14 11:56 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. I have no desire to eat any Amanita other than muscaria and lanei. But after today I don't know if i'd even eat a lanei! At least without a positive ID from someone on here...

Offlinechaka333
mountain grunt.
Male User Gallery

Loc: on a hill in a pasture.
    #20713823 - 10/17/14 12:06 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Nice pictures! Hey hey from a fellow mendo dweller.

--------------------
If you want to achieve greatness
Stop asking for permission.

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: chaka333]
    #20715723 - 10/17/14 01:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks! Hello! Hwy 20 hunt! Been seeing pics of the king boletes from friends down in Sonoma cover, haven't seen any here :frown:

What happened to the shroomery? I remember the last few years posting an ID request and having someone come along and bust out numbered IDs like lightning. Too busy out hunting? :p

Offlinemountainplayer
Worm Dehydrator
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #20715782 - 10/17/14 02:14 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Your Agaricus is likely A. meleagris (I think it changed names, but can't remember how to spell the new one!). This is one of the phenol smelling agaricus.

I think your first mushroom is Amanita calyptroderma, or lanei, whichever name is right. 

Some day, I'm going to eat an Amanita. Maybe even this season. I've been a big chicken so far.

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: mountainplayer]
    #20718463 - 10/18/14 12:03 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bump. Has every trusted identifier died?

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

#20719968 - 10/18/14 11:53 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bump................

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

#20721691 - 10/18/14 07:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Did Shroomery die.....Are the trusted identifiers dwindling....did I do something wrong? Need more information? Hello? :frown:

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

#20721952 - 10/18/14 08:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bump...........................

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

#20725666 - 10/19/14 06:08 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bump....

OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Loc: Church of the SubGenus
    #20725745 - 10/19/14 06:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Compare your Suillus to S. sibiricus. #4 is Agaricus sp., compare A. perobscurus. #3 A. vaginata. I'm not so sure about your first couple of Amanitas, A. lanei seems promising, but get someone who lives out there to confirm.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is a work of fiction, provided for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual persons or events, past or present, is strictly coincidental. All celebrity voices are impersonated. If you begin your ID request with, "I just ate a bunch of these mushrooms…should I not have done that?" I'm just gonna sit back and watch Darwin at work.:mushroom2:

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: BittrBuffalo]
    #20725797 - 10/19/14 06:37 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reply... I can't believe no ones stopped by and done a quick confirmation...on the other thread either....I give up on this one, these mushrooms have long since passed and turned to goo...the next batch isn't far off either...

OfflineHookerWithAPenis
Sub sniffer
Male

Loc: NZ Flag
    #20725853 - 10/19/14 06:46 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WildernessMedic said:
Thanks for the reply... I can't believe no ones stopped by and done a quick confirmation...on the other thread either....I give up on this one, these mushrooms have long since passed and turned to goo...the next batch isn't far off either...

No one has any obligation to ID your mushrooms. If you get an ID confirmation, consider yourself fortunate. Just because there are TI's doesn't mean their sole purpose is to satisfy your every ID demand. Whining gets you no where. Just be patient and someone with some knowledge will chime in.

--------------------

"Shine on forever, shine on benevolent sun. Shine on upon the broken, shine until the two become one."

OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Loc: Church of the SubGenus
    #20726156 - 10/19/14 07:36 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

You could also throw them up on Mushroom Observer with a guess as to what they are, someone will likely change your observation if necessary. Sometimes people just put "fungus" when they have no idea.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is a work of fiction, provided for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual persons or events, past or present, is strictly coincidental. All celebrity voices are impersonated. If you begin your ID request with, "I just ate a bunch of these mushrooms…should I not have done that?" I'm just gonna sit back and watch Darwin at work.:mushroom2:

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: HookerWithAPenis]
    #20726189 - 10/19/14 07:43 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HookerWithAPenis said:
Quote:

WildernessMedic said:

No one has any obligation to ID your mushrooms. If you get an ID confirmation, consider yourself fortunate. Just because there are TI's doesn't mean their sole purpose is to satisfy your every ID demand. Whining gets you no where. Just be patient and someone with some knowledge will chime in.

Never said anybody did, or that was their sole purpose. Nor did I whine. I asked what happened, because I don't remember it being anything like this. I have been patient, I didn't go off saying people owe me an ID, i've been patiently waiting and bumping it when it's disappeared. But at this point, they are mush anyway, so it doesn't really matter as far as IDing to eat the now

Quote:

BittrBuffalo said:
You could also throw them up on Mushroom Observer with a guess as to what they are, someone will likely change your observation if necessary. Sometimes people just put "fungus" when they have no idea.

Thanks, i'll give that a try. I couldn't remember the name of that site.

Edited by WildernessMedic (10/19/14 07:44 PM)

OfflineHookerWithAPenis
Sub sniffer
Male

#20726440 - 10/19/14 08:30 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WildernessMedic said:
Quote:

HookerWithAPenis said:
Quote:

WildernessMedic said:

Never said anybody did, or that was their sole purpose. Nor did I whine. I asked what happened, because I don't remember it being anything like this. I have been patient, I didn't go off saying people owe me an ID, i've been patiently waiting and bumping it when it's disappeared. But at this point, they are mush anyway, so it doesn't really matter as far as IDing to eat the now

You bumped your thread 5 times within 3 days. I wouldn't call that patient. Of course you didn't explicitly say that you were owed an ID, but "I can't believe no ones stopped by and done a quick confirmation" more or less implies it. I'm not trying to be harsh, but TI's aren't intentionally ignoring you, maybe they're just not sure and so see no point to comment. It sucks you didn't get an ID but such is life. If it's any consolation, I think you took some pretty photos.

--------------------

"Shine on forever, shine on benevolent sun. Shine on upon the broken, shine until the two become one."

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

#20726459 - 10/19/14 08:34 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HookerWithAPenis said:
Quote:

WildernessMedic said:
Quote:

HookerWithAPenis said:
Quote:

WildernessMedic said:

You bumped your thread 5 times within 3 days. I wouldn't call that patient. Of course you didn't explicitly say that you were owed an ID, but "I can't believe no ones stopped by and done a quick confirmation" more or less implies it. I'm not trying to be harsh, but TI's aren't intentionally ignoring you, maybe they're just not sure and so see no point to comment. It sucks you didn't get an ID but such is life. If it's any consolation, I think you took some pretty photos.

Ok see that's why I asked, I didn't mean to be pushy. But if I remember correctly 2 years ago i'd post an ID request and have several TIs come by and slam them out, just curious if there has been a decline in them or what.

5 times in 3 days is a lot? I figured once it was off the first page it was going to get overlooked and lost in the back. My bad

OfflineHookerWithAPenis
Sub sniffer
Male

#20726495 - 10/19/14 08:41 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Shroomery's giving me this
Quote:

You have too many nested quotes in your post. You can only have 4 subsequent nested quotes.

so I'll just start fresh..

I haven't been here for that long but I still see plenty of TI action. Some have dropped off a bit inevitably but they're certainly still around. Very often mushrooms do get ID'd within seconds, but remember Amanitas are notoriously difficult to ID down to the species.

I would have thought it was a lot. You might not be wrong, but I'd figure that after the first bump or two it would be a losing cause and you'd may as well create a new thread. Maybe you should do that.

--------------------

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

#20726668 - 10/19/14 09:21 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HookerWithAPenis said:
Shroomery's giving me this
Quote:

You have too many nested quotes in your post. You can only have 4 subsequent nested quotes.

so I'll just start fresh..

I haven't been here for that long but I still see plenty of TI action. Some have dropped off a bit inevitably but they're certainly still around. Very often mushrooms do get ID'd within seconds, but remember Amanitas are notoriously difficult to ID down to the species.

I would have thought it was a lot. You might not be wrong, but I'd figure that after the first bump or two it would be a losing cause and you'd may as well create a new thread. Maybe you should do that.

Thanks for the advice. I did start noticing that TIs like Alan were still knocking out other peoples posts, and fairly quick, which is why I asked if I did something wrong or needed to provide more information. I've already figured out the Amanita in this hunt were half gemmata, it just took me a while to realize that. I knew something was off and they weren't lanei even though I wanted them to be lol.

As for the new thread I already created one and it looks like I just got a TI to confirm. Hooray!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #20726740 - 10/19/14 09:41 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

1) Amanita calyptroderma
2) Amanita “pseudobreckonii” (undescribed)
3) Amanita constricta
4) Agaricus "praeclaresquamosus" (undescribed)
5) Suillus ponderosus

Quote:

WildernessMedic said:
Did Shroomery die.....Are the trusted identifiers dwindling....did I do something wrong? Need more information? Hello? :frown:

There aren't many TI's from Northern California, and most TI's from the rest of the world are probably scared to answer Northern California ID requests because they correctly assume that someone from NorCal will come along and have completely different names for everything.

I didn't see your thread until now, maybe I have been spending too much time in the field or maybe you didn't bump it enough.

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #20726817 - 10/19/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
1) Amanita calyptroderma
2) Amanita “pseudobreckonii” (undescribed)
3) Amanita constricta
4) Agaricus "praeclaresquamosus" (undescribed)
5) Suillus ponderosus

Quote:

WildernessMedic said:

There aren't many TI's from Northern California, and most TI's from the rest of the world are probably scared to answer Northern California ID requests because they correctly assume that someone from NorCal will come along and have completely different names for everything.

I didn't see your thread until now, maybe I have been spending too much time in the field or maybe you didn't bump it enough.

Alan there you are :smile: Thank you for the IDs and explanation of why no one may have replied.

it seems like names are sure changing a lot. I notice two TIs now have said A calyptroderma?? That's what I was used to calling it but saw it changed to lanei?? I did some brushing up on some other species to and they seemed to change as well.

Let's make it more confusing!

Edited by WildernessMedic (10/19/14 10:02 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #20726933 - 10/19/14 10:39 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Amanita lanei is an newer synonym and therefore is an incorrect name.  A. calyptroderma is an older and more correct name since they are the same taxon.

A. lanei is from 1925 and A. calyptroderma is the same, described in 1909.  When two people describe the same thing, the first person wins. 

You shouldn't complain about this name changing since it hasn't changed since 1909.

It's not that the names of the mushrooms you found are changing - our understanding is improving.  This makes it less confusing, not more.  A bunch of people have been using the incorrect name A. lanei and even published books using that name.  Fuck those people.  Now we know the correct name and we can use it.

OfflineWildernessMedic
Forager

Re: First Mendo hunt Amanita and Boletus ID please. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #20727026 - 10/19/14 11:08 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Amanita lanei is an newer synonym and therefore is an incorrect name.  A. calyptroderma is an older and more correct name since they are the same taxon.

A. lanei is from 1925 and A. calyptroderma is the same, described in 1909.  When two people describe the same thing, the first person wins. 

You shouldn't complain about this name changing since it hasn't changed since 1909.

It's not that the names of the mushrooms you found are changing - our understanding is improving.  This makes it less confusing, not more.  A bunch of people have been using the incorrect name A. lanei and even published books using that name.  Fuck those people.  Now we know the correct name and we can use it.

You'll get no argument from me. Amanita calyptroderma it is.  I guess wikipedia is the last place I should be going to correct information. Maybe someones edited it since I last looked,  or just more people like you said have been publishing the wrong names leading me to believe it changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_lanei

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies