Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Executing TEKs... Flag
TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Simple Mono Dunk) * 5
    #20710363 - 10/16/14 11:20 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Been a while since I've made a thread, thought I'd make my comeback by posting a TEK that may help tons of people for a long time to come.  Helping people is what I like to do most, just been really tight on time these days.

So, here it is...

In our Tribe, we have found a simple way to dunk our Mono Tubs.  The Tribe always wondered, what would be the easiest way to dunk a mono tub?  Problem was, we could never find a simple TEK on the cultivation boards.  We decided it was time to create our own, our results were beyond acceptable...

The primary point of this TEK is simplicity, with the secondary point being efficiency.  If you follow the instructions, you'll have your mono in and out of dunking, back into fruiting in less than an hour and a half.  You should see pins in less than two days, you may have another flush ready in about a week with a variety like B+; in proper fruiting conditions.  There are many, more complicated, ways to dunk...  Keep in mind, with this method, we'll show you how to do it the quickest and most simple way possible; requiring the least amount of time and work, yet still producing more than acceptable results.

Using this method, we have dunked as many as 6 monos at once; with them all back into fruiting, in less than 2 hours.  All of them produced results consistent to the pictures shown in this TEK.

We use SpitballJedi's CVG substrate TEK for all of our 66 qt mono tubs; also, we like to apply a 50/50+ casing after 100% colonization as well (any type of proven casing method will suffice).  The variety of cubensis is B+, we used 5 qts dunked rye grain spawn.

STEP 1
First, the things you will need to join the tribal way of dunking are as follows:
-Spent mono tub (requiring moisture replenishing for 2nd, 3rd or even 4th flush), our tub was a dunk for 3rd flush.
-1 or more 500mL bottles of room temp water (it doesn't have to be bottled water, I just use the 500mL bottle for reference to the least amount needed).

This is what our tub looked like after pushing out two flushes and sitting around for about 4 days doing nothing:

Now, one thing I would like to point out is usually after our 1st flush, we can get away with a very heavy misting; totally skipping the Tribal Dunk.  When we do this, fairly good results are produced because the substrate still has quite a bit of moisture left in it from the initial preparation.

Another thing to note is that your flushes from misting alone will be much more even and full; although, the mushrooms produced will be a lot smaller.  It will look something like this when your pinset comes out:

Moving back to the TEK...

STEP 2
Step 2 is when we apply our bottle(s) of water to the substrate.  This step is fairly straight forward...  We like to pull the liner back from the substrate a little before pouring on the bottle(s), the reason for that is so some of the water poured onto the substrate can get down underneath it, the substrate likes to get a drink from down under as well as in the casing layer.  I recommend using at least two bottles for sufficient re-hydration, you want the substrate to be submerged 50-75% for best results.

After pulling your liner back, just pour the bottle(s) of water slowly and evenly all over your substrate; just like over-watering a plant (thank you for that tip, spacechildo).  Make sure you leak some down into the liner as well, the substrate really loves to get a drink down under as stated before. 

After completing step 2, your substrate should look something like this:

STEP 3
Step 3 is to let the substrate soak, there are many mixed opinions on how long to let the substrate sit in water to drink around the forums.  In our TEK, we keep it down to 1 hour for the least chance of water logging the substrate.  In step 4 you will see why having a waterlogged substrate is a nono for the Tribal Dunk.

Just set a timer for 1 hour and go watch some TV, have a snack or coffee in the meantime.  After the soak, your substrate should look like this:

STEP 4
In this step, we drain off our excess dunking water.  Again, this is very simple and straight forward, for the sake of being a TEK; we will guide you through it.

Take your mono to the bathtub or kitchen sink (I don't want to see any comments about a dirty bathroom and bringing your substrate in there; at this point, your substrate should be fully colonized, by now you should know that fully colonized substrates are very contam resistant...  Bringing your substrate in a dirty bathroom is perfectly fine for a minute or two to drain it); while resting one side on the bathtub or sink, tip your tub straight up at a 90 degree angle (this is where a waterlogged substrate will be a problem) holding one side of the substrate inside the tub so it doesn't fall out.  Slowly and carefully pour off the excess water out of a corner in your mono tub. 

Some pictures to guide you through it:

Step 5
In step 5, we put our substrate back into fruiting conditions, just as it was before we harvested our previous flush and dunked. 

Get the liner back up against the substrate as best possible before doing so; to prevent side pinning.  After the dunk, your substrate should look something like this:

Results
Finally, here are a few pictures of results the Tribal Dunk has produced; taken between 4 and 6 days after dunking for third flush:

PE second flush.

PE third flush.

PE fourth flush.

Same tub shown in TEK, fourth flush B+.  You can see one mushroom is so tall that it nearly touched the roof of the tub, we actually had a tub where a mushroom was pushing against the lid but never took a picture...

Fifth flush B+...  We don't recommend keeping a substrate around this long, it was just an experiment to see how much endurance our substrates have.  I'm sure the tub was close to having other things than just mushrooms growing when we disposed of it.  You can see how much the substrate has shrunk from the walls due to the mass it has produced...

Step 6
Enjoy your fruits.

Also, don't forget to always keep your mono tubs hydrated during fruiting... 

We really are against the totally unmanned mono tub; although they can produce fairly well unattended, we like to keep a close eye on all of ours and mist as needed; even in the first flush.  Results are always better this way.

By using this TEK, you have just become part of my Tribe.  :rockon:

Have fun, my friends.  As always, stay safe.

Quote:

TheChief said:
I've updated the OP, I added in that you can use more water if your substrate seems to need it.  The amount of water used isn't a big factor, if you submerge your substrate half decently it will only drink what it needs.

I actually do suggest using more than 1 bottle of water, just to make sure you re-hydrate sufficiently for another good flush.  If you only feel comfortable using less, 1 bottle is fine.  The thing to remember that is key to my TEK is not letting your substrate sit in water longer than an hour...  If you let it sit longer, you bring in the risk of ending up with a waterlogged substrate and not being able to drain it the way I do; without having it fall apart.

Quote:

TheChief said:
I've had problems dunking for any more than an hour for a third flush with the way I drain my tubs... The last thing I want is someone to use my TEK and end up dunking longer; then drain the way I do and have their substrate fall apart.  The reason I keep it down to 1 hour is because it works just fine and your always going to be on the safe side of ending up waterlogged.

If you have a look at the pictures, my flush is still outstanding.  I have done this with numerous tubs and it has been proven to work just fine; even with only an hour dunk.  For people to be safe using this TEK, I can't stress enough why keeping it down to an hour is best, there is no reason to dunk any longer if your happy with my results.  I strongly suggest staying on the safe side by sticking to the instructions of the TEK. 

I won't take responsibility for someone dunking longer and having problems with using this method.  Also, I have found my flush was no better with an hour dunk vs any longer period of time; bulk substrates drink the water they want very quickly and are replenished enough for the next flush in 1 hour or less IME.

It takes me 1 hour and the tub is back into fruiting...  I always put my tubs back into fruiting immediately after and see new fruits being produced in less than 2 days; I harvest the flush within a week, no spraying or anything else required.  Like I said before, the point of this TEK is simplicity. I don't get carried away with dunking my tubs.

This is just so fast and simple, the whole reason I posted it is to show people how easy it can be.  There is no reason to over-think it.

-The Chief  :chief:

Edited by TheChief (06/19/16 01:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInflatable Elvis
Walrus

Loc: Sunnyvale
Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: TheChief]
    #20710409 - 10/16/14 11:36 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
    #20710412 - 10/16/14 11:37 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:rockon:

:nothingtoadd:

OfflineBillNyeScienceGuy
Activist
 User Gallery

Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20710789 - 10/16/14 12:56 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

looks great thanks.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: BillNyeScienceGuy]
    #20710811 - 10/16/14 12:59 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:firstladyofapproval:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: cronicr]
    #20711020 - 10/16/14 01:44 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

This might sound stupid, but is the bottle a much better option that 500ml from tap?

--------------------

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: RideAllBears]
    #20711041 - 10/16/14 01:46 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I recently updated the thread just before you said that; have a look now.

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:
"Additionally I did one Armageddon jar with all of the types together."

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

#20711066 - 10/16/14 01:49 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Gotcha. I've definitely waterlogged tubs before. Now I know...

--------------------

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: RideAllBears]
    #20711208 - 10/16/14 02:27 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:manofapproval:

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:

Offlineweaksause
Stranger
    #20711243 - 10/16/14 02:39 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

dont some of those tubs look nasty?
seems not to be a problem, thx for the tek :smile:

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: weaksause]
    #20711308 - 10/16/14 02:54 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Substrates can look pretty rancid yet still produce bountiful flushes of fruits.  As long as it isn't contaminated, your good to go.  :thumbup:

Your very welcome for the TEK, everyone is welcome to join the Tribe.  :chief:

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:

Edited by TheChief (10/17/14 12:46 PM)

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
    #20711349 - 10/16/14 03:01 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

they always look a bit worn out after a couple flushes..because they are! :wink:

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
    #20711355 - 10/16/14 03:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

To simplify, just put another same sized tote on top of your sub when draining  ie: tub in tub.

This will ensure even if waterlogged your sub will stay put. Same idea can be used to easily harvest the bottom of subs if need be.

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: maddchef]
    #20711419 - 10/16/14 03:12 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

maddchef said:
To simplify, just put another same sized tote on top of your sub when draining  ie: tub in tub.

This will ensure even if waterlogged your sub will stay put. Same idea can be used to easily harvest the bottom of subs if need be.

:whathesaid:

However, I wouldn't go as far as saying putting another tub inside your mono is simpler...  The point of my method IS simplicity, in my opinion, putting another tub inside would be more work.  Another thing to take into consideration is we don't always have another same sized tote available at the time of dunking.  We may be able to find something that will suffice for doing it the way you suggested; but, I still think my method would be a little more simple.

Also, the reason I touch the substrate the least amount possible is to avoid stressing it out more or messing up primordia that has already formed. 

You may have no other choice if you've waterlogged your substrate.  I use less water from the get go to avoid waterlogging down the line.  It is easy to replace moisture, not so easy to remove it.

Edited by TheChief (10/16/14 11:04 PM)

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20713366 - 10/16/14 09:48 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

i love dunking subs! its the best. also makes flushing very fast. i don't even wait a few days after harvest just dunk immediately.

or you can fill big water jugs with water to weigh the substrate down.

i use  sink sprayer to clean the gunk off the substrate. also cleans dead fruit bodies or aborts. after 2nd flush new primordia begin. the 2nd flush is usually existing primordia. but with the sink spray it cleans off the surface and opens up new knotting.

ill even do exactly what your doing where i take it to the sink or the tub and rest it on the edge and pour out the water. although i just use the liner to hold the substrate in rather than a glove. and then im not even touching the substrate anyway.

oh and hell i laid a huge fart this morning while i was pouring off the water out of the tub. no contams on 4th flushes....

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (10/16/14 09:56 PM)

Offlinetopsykretts
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: TheChief's Tribal Dunk TEK (Super Easy Monotub Dunk) [Re: eatyualive]
    #20713412 - 10/16/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

What about casing with more pasteurized nutritive substrate after doing this to give it more stuff to eat?

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

#20713417 - 10/16/14 10:03 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
i love dunking subs! its the best. also makes flushing very fast. i don't even wait a few days after harvest just dunk immediately.

or you can fill big water jugs with water to weigh the substrate down.

i use  sink sprayer to clean the gunk off the substrate. also cleans dead fruit bodies or aborts. after 2nd flush new primordia begin. the 2nd flush is usually existing primordia. but with the sink spray it cleans off the surface and opens up new knotting.

ill even do exactly what your doing where i take it to the sink or the tub and rest it on the edge and pour out the water. although i just use the liner to hold the substrate in rather than a glove. and then im not even touching the substrate anyway.

oh and hell i laid a huge fart this morning while i was pouring off the water out of the tub. no contams on 4th flushes....

I farted in my grow room today, was thinking about contamination in the back of my mind afterward when it started to smell...  :lol:

Actually, I don't usually even wear the glove for dunking, it just so happens I had one on before doing the dunk and was too lazy to take it off for the pictures. 

Substrates really are unbelievably resistant to contamination when fully colonized, especially with a CVG substrate being resistant in the first place.

:asianofapproval:

Quote:

topsykretts said:
What about casing with more pasteurized nutritive substrate after doing this to give it more stuff to eat?

I wouldn't try adding any new material to a substrate, once they are in fruiting mode, substrates tend to not colonize much. 

If you added more material on top, you would just be creating the perfect habitat for the mold spores that landed on the surface during fruiting to germinate; underneath your newly added material.

Edited by TheChief (10/17/14 05:10 AM)

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20713493 - 10/16/14 10:22 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

im also glad to see people dunking more often. so im gonna bump your thread to death. imho its the fastest way to revive your flush.

and for people who want to say that dunking causes contams. i can get 3-4 decent flushes out of a bulk sub by dunking it in about 30 days time. with over 12z dry per tub 5 year old multispore. not the best, but fairly decent for CVG with 5 year old genetics and no agar work. i usually don't let my subs go past 2 flushes and just fill the tubs again working off a 2 week rotation. but when theres a gap ill let em go a little longer and flush out. im happy with 2 and only expecting two. but easily 4 flushes can be achieved with good results using dunks. its not making the substrate contaminate any faster than spraying or misting. you may need to properly remove some dead material which i do with a sink sprayer but that ends up cleaning off spores and extra gunk while promoting knotting on the 3rd and 4th flushes.
to me its not worth waiting for 3-4 flushes when i want to refill the tubs with fresh material. it all depends on your situation. but damn if i can get 80-84 grams off 3rd flush its fairly worth the wait if there isn't any spawn ready at the time.

theres dunk teks out there they are just hidden. i hide mine in my journal in my reference signature.

hidden gems.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (10/16/14 10:32 PM)

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
    #20713537 - 10/16/14 10:33 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I've posted this before but I will do so again.

Many commercial operations monitor their final harvested weight, figure 80% ish. (species dependant) and simply add the equivalent amount of water weight back to the sub by misting or saturation.

Aka if you harvest 100g wet mush, most substrates will re-absorb roughly 80g of water. Pour that shit on.

That's if you're meticulous about record keeping and have definable flushes.

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Daid
    #20713543 - 10/16/14 10:35 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Well you'll be happy to know i dunked some tubs today. Haven't tried it in years. I just mist like fuck. But i said hell why not. I actually stuck some dowel rods in my holes to hold the top of the sub at the bottom of the holes and filled up in my shower. We'll see...

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom