Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
alobe's PF Tek journey
    #20686816 - 10/11/14 12:29 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt at mushroom cultivation. I'm using the PF Tek method as described here. I will be inoculating 10 jars with Golden Teacher and 2 with Cambodian strain.

10/10/2014
I have prepared the jars, and will be sterilizing them via pot shortly.

Update: 11:58PM
I covered the jars with foil and placed them in the pot. One thing I wasn't so sure on was how much water to use? Also, is it okay to stack the jars, as seen in the pic below?

10/11/2014
Jars are currently being steam sterilized. I've also constructed a still air box (and my house stinks of burning coffee can :wink:).

Update: 5:23PM
I just finished inoculating all 12 jars, and stored them away. Unfortunately my original intention to have 10 Golden Teacher and 2 Cambodian jars is shot due to my carelessness to separate the inoculated jars by type. So I'm pretty sure I have about 4 or 5 Cambodian and the rest Golden Teacher jars. Ah well...

Now it's all in nature's hands. Wish me luck!! :eek:

10/16/2014
I just checked the jars for the first time. I spotted some tiny mycelium spots around the inoculation points in a few of the jars. I'll take some pictures in a few days when the mycelium has grown enough to be picked up on camera.

10/21/2014
I finally got around to taking some pictures. Unfortunately today I noticed what appears to be a trichoderma contamination in one of the jars. Other than that, all the jars seem to be showing steady progress.

I'm guessing this is trich?

10/22/2014
I decided to start over from square one with the two jars showing no mycelium growth (possibly never inoculated in the first place), as well as the jar with trichoderma. I dumped the contents outside and washed the jars with hot water and soap. I then soaked them for a few hours in bleach. Afterwards, I made another batch of BRF mixture, loaded the jars, and they're being sterilized in a pot at the moment.

11/5/2014
Sorry for the long overdue update..

All the jars are pretty far along in colonization and a few are in the 1 week consolidation period.

Here are the jars I started over on:

However, I noticed two of the jars from the first picture have developed orange/gold spots on them. I'm guess it could be metabolites. Any input?

11/17/2014
The first batch of jars appear to be fully consolidated. Each jar has had more than a one week consolidation period (give or take a few days due to not keeping tracking of consolidation start date for each jar). I'm about to birth and dunk/roll, but I just want to be sure I'm good to go.

Also those two jars (bottom two pics) that I suspected were metabs, or possibly contams, have been quarantined since the last update. They appear to have not gotten any worse, but instead the mycelium seems to be fighting it off (or maybe it's just metabs :shrug:). Is it okay to birth them?

Also, here's a pic of an in vitro pin!

11/21/2014
The cakes have been sitting in the FC for a few days now. I have them inside a closet elevated off a storage container. I'm using a hairspray bottle to mist the cakes, as it seems to have the finest spray. I've been trying to keep the room temperature between 68-75°F, but I've been using a space heater to heat the room up, as there are no heating vents in the closet. Is this okay? Can they still fruit in the mid-high 60s?

So far, I've only seen one pin (the one that's pretty noticeable), is this normal? Also, is it okay for the pins/mushrooms to have vermiculite on them?

11/23/2014
I noticed my first few non-in vitro pins yesterday (bottom pic). The top pics are from one of the in-vitro pins that's grown significantly. Does it look healthy?

The other in-vitro pin. What's up with this guy? It seems to keep growing, but the head doesn't seem to have much color, and it's growing upside down...

11/25/2014

Is this one ready to be picked yet?

Does everything look healthy, and am I getting a normal amount of pinning? It's been almost 6 days since the cakes were put in the FC.

11/25/2014
Happy Thanksgiving!

My first babies. Come out to just over 2g cracker dry after around 12 hours in the dehydrator. :mushroom2:

Edited by alobe (11/27/14 12:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: alobe]
    #20687036 - 10/11/14 02:12 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm only a single step ahead of you, but I've Googled around for many answers for the past 2 weeks straight. You can stack the jars for sure, just don't pack jars in very tightly together.

As far as water, it should probably be right at or just below the jars. I'm not sure where your little rack is at though, but I've heard 1" is a good amount. I steamed half of mine in a standard stockpot and it kept a rolling boil for 90 minutes on simmer without losing any water. I used about 1" or so, so do that and you'll be fine.

Just make sure you're not boiling the water too high or you run the risk of boiling it dry and fucking your shit up.

As a side note, check the link in my signature and type keywords to your question into the search bar. RR is a very trusted cultivator with like 50,000 posts on here. The chances are great he's answered the exact questions you're asking so feel free to search him out ahead of time.

Good luck! I hope we both have 0 contams!

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: stareatclouds]
    #20689720 - 10/11/14 05:16 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, and hope everything goes well for you too!  :goodluck:

On another note, I just started inoculating, but I'm having trouble telling how much is being injected (while I'm doing it). And does the whole needle need to be red hot? Also, when I pulled the needle out, it had some bits of the mixture stuck on it. Is this normal?

Edited by alobe (10/11/14 05:22 PM)

Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

#20689861 - 10/11/14 05:50 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Dont stack the jars you will impede GE

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: pawnzy]
    #20690283 - 10/11/14 07:42 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

pawnzy said:
Dont stack the jars you will impede GE

Too late now. What are the consequences of poor GE?

I'll be happy if I even get a couple good jars out of this batch. This first grow will hopefully be a learning experience for a noob like me. :biggrin:

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    #20690464 - 10/11/14 08:24 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

If you don't have any gas exchange, your growth speed will be greatly diminished and perhaps stall out.

--------------------

OfflineCryokinesis
Exploring the Multiverse
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: TheMustardTiger]
    #20690590 - 10/11/14 08:56 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Good luck my friend! :mushroom2:

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20691216 - 10/11/14 11:57 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MustardTiger66 said:
If you don't have any gas exchange, your growth speed will be greatly diminished and perhaps stall out.

Any idea how much of a problem it'll be (going by what you see in my pic of the jars in the pot)?

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

#20691631 - 10/12/14 06:30 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

alobe said:
Quote:

MustardTiger66 said:

Any idea how much of a problem it'll be (going by what you see in my pic of the jars in the pot)?

Of course I can't quantify your outcome based on your pictures. Just do it right next time and hope for the best this time.

--------------------

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20694836 - 10/12/14 09:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Wait what, why can't you stack the jars in the pressure cooker? I've never heard that? You need GE for uninoculated substrate? Uh...? Why the foil then if GE is an issue?

I think you guys are thinking we're talking about stacking the jars after inoculation?

Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
    #20695042 - 10/12/14 10:06 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

alobe said:

10/10/2014

That verm layer is too close to the top. Leave a little room. Not a centimeter either. Give it about a half an inch

Ebloa, not so clever of a name.

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: djmako7]
    #20695047 - 10/12/14 10:07 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

djmako7 said:
Quote:

alobe said:

10/10/2014

That verm layer is too close to the top. Leave a little room. Not a centimeter either. Give it about a half an inch

Ebloa, not so clever of a name.

It's fine....the more verm the more filter....

Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: PussyFart]
    #20695095 - 10/12/14 10:20 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:

It's fine....the more verm the more filter....

Is my info outdated or what? LOL

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: djmako7]
    #20695101 - 10/12/14 10:23 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:shrug:.....You're only supposed to have a 1/2" dry verm layer, and it usually goes right to the top....not sure where you pulled that info from....

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: PussyFart]
    #20711774 - 10/16/14 04:20 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

10/16/2014
I just checked the jars for the first time. I spotted some tiny mycelium spots around the inoculation points in a few of the jars. I'll take some pictures in a few days when the mycelium has grown enough to be picked up on camera.

Offlineweaksause
Stranger
    #20711838 - 10/16/14 04:31 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

alobe said:
10/16/2014

cool dude :smile: good work!

why cant u simply unstack the jars? or were ppl confused, obviously uc an stack jars in a PC, lol. obviously they dont need gas exchange while PCing. i stack my jars while they colonize, there's gas exchange. maybe i'll stop doing that, tho. maybe a little too little gas exhcnage but i dont notice cuz i've always done it stackd :smile: certainly'll work out fine!! if for some reason u cant unstack the jars (?_?).

and the verm layer look sperfect. looks like well made PF cakes

oh cool so u can heat up a coffee can and melt holes for a SAB?
phew haha i can do that, cool :smile: moving righ talong

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: weaksause]
    #20712017 - 10/16/14 05:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

weaksause said:
Quote:

alobe said:
10/16/2014

cool dude :smile: good work!

why cant u simply unstack the jars? or were ppl confused, obviously uc an stack jars in a PC, lol. obviously they dont need gas exchange while PCing. i stack my jars while they colonize, there's gas exchange. maybe i'll stop doing that, tho. maybe a little too little gas exhcnage but i dont notice cuz i've always done it stackd :smile: certainly'll work out fine!! if for some reason u cant unstack the jars (?_?).

and the verm layer look sperfect. looks like well made PF cakes

oh cool so u can heat up a coffee can and melt holes for a SAB?
phew haha i can do that, cool :smile: moving righ talong

Thanks!

People were thinking I was talking about stacking the jars while they are incubating (which of course I'm not doing). I was actually asking about stacking them while in the pot/PC.

Edited by alobe (10/16/14 05:06 PM)

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20712093 - 10/16/14 05:21 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, they both misread that for sure. You can definitely stack jars in PC, just don't wedge them in tight because the jars expand during the process.

OfflineToolhead
Toadlicker
Male

Loc: Cubensis Country
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey *DELETED* [Re: alobe]
    #20719006 - 10/18/14 04:58 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Toolhead

Reason for deletion: x

--------------------
:mushroom2:Click me to go places:mushroom2:

Is hashiness equal to happiness?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: Toolhead]
    #20730267 - 10/20/14 06:18 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Alobe,

How's it going with your jars? Is the mycelium coming along nicely?

Offlinesupernewfie
some fella
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #20730337 - 10/20/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

yup... they must have misread, they don't need GE while being sterilized, people tape the holes over completely while sterilizing and remove it when finished, in saying that, most advice/info ive seen pawnzy or mustardtiger give people here have been good, toolhead.

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: supernewfie]
    #20733745 - 10/21/14 02:22 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I've updated the OP with a few pics. I do have a few questions though:

Two of the jars aren't showing any signs of mycelium growth whatsoever. I'm considering reinoculating them, as I fear I somehow never inoculated them in the first place. However, I wanted some advice here before I do anything.

Also, about the jar with the contam; I was wondering what I should do with it? I read somewhere that you can dump it outside and plant it in your yard?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20733895 - 10/21/14 02:54 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

It might be glare, but the right one looks to have a small patch of growth on the bottom near the left center side. Does it match with the inoculation hole?

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20734017 - 10/21/14 03:15 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
It might be glare, but the right one looks to have a small patch of growth on the bottom near the left center side. Does it match with the inoculation hole?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's just glare. While I was inoculating, there was a jar or two I wasn't sure had been inoculated, but I took a risk and figured I must have. I guess it goes to show how important labeling (at least temporarily) your jars is.

Would it be okay to reinoculate both? Or should I toss them and start over along with the contamed jar?

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
    #20734140 - 10/21/14 03:38 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

the last pic in OP is fucked. just throw it away outside! not sure if its trich but it sure aint healthy!

rest of them looks pretty good! :thumbup:

Offlineweaksause
Stranger
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: spacechildo]
    #20734197 - 10/21/14 03:52 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

you shouldn't toss them
ur sure they arent inoc'd? then you can re-sterilize or simply re inoculate

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#20734200 - 10/21/14 03:53 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

not inoc'd? last pic in OP is fucking green! throw it out!

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20734240 - 10/21/14 04:00 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

weaksause said:
you shouldn't toss them
ur sure they arent inoc'd? then you can re-sterilize or simply re inoculate

Well that's the thing, I may or may not have inoculated those two. So it wouldn't do any harm to reinoculate?

Quote:

spacechildo said:
not inoc'd? last pic in OP is fucking green! throw it out!

I was referring to the pic in the post I made a few posts up. But yeah, the last one in the OP is definitely going to be dumped.

Edited by alobe (10/21/14 04:05 PM)

Offlineweaksause
Stranger
    #20734244 - 10/21/14 04:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

oh  ur not sure lol
well it can hurt to reinoc. cuz contam possibility and excess water
but if ur confident every things sterile, at this point in the cake it shouldn't make a difference well besides u know it was def. inoculated lol. use MAX 1cc per jar:)

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20734288 - 10/21/14 04:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

weaksause said:
oh  ur not sure lol
but if ur confident every things sterile, at this point in the cake it shouldn't make a difference well besides u know it was def. inoculated lol. use MAX 1cc per jar:)

Yeah unfortunately I probably made the mistake of moving one or two of the non-inoculated jars to the group of inoculated jars while inoculating. Any way to tell if the jars are still sterile? It's been 10 days since the jars were sterilized/inoculated.

I suppose there's the chance the jars have very slow colonization, but I'd think you'd see something after 10 days.

Edited by alobe (10/21/14 04:12 PM)

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#20734296 - 10/21/14 04:13 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

you dont use micropore tape?
easy to see which holes have been stabbed a syringe through.
I dont think I woulda re-inoc'd if nothing is covering the holes. mold spores will have landed on top of your dry verm and chances are you'll push or fiddle them into the moist brf+verm mix with your needle.

Offlineweaksause
Stranger
    #20734307 - 10/21/14 04:15 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

alobe said:
Quote:

weaksause said:
oh  ur not sure lol

Yeah unfortunately I probably made the mistake of moving one or two of the non-inoculated jars to the group of inoculated jars while inoculating. Any way to tell if the jars are still sterile? It's been 10 days since the jars were sterilized/inoculated.

fact they arent growing any thing, lol:)
or rePC it. I think i did the same thing with a jar, didnt inoc it.
i inoculated when the rest of the jars were growing mycelium, turned out fine. it may be worth rePCing, if only for peace of mind
either way though no need to toss them

Quote:

spacechildo said:
I dont think I woulda re-inoc'd if nothing is covering the holes. mold spores will have landed on top of your dry verm and chances are you'll push or fiddle them into the moist brf+verm mix with your needle.

you use micropore tape before u inoculate?

Edited by weaksause (10/21/14 04:17 PM)

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

#20734319 - 10/21/14 04:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

spacechildo said:

--------------------

OfflineToolhead
Toadlicker
Male

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey *DELETED* [Re: TheMustardTiger]
    #20734894 - 10/21/14 06:37 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Toolhead

--------------------

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20739713 - 10/22/14 07:01 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

10/22/2014
I decided to start over from square one with the two jars showing no mycelium growth (possibly never inoculated in the first place), as well as the jar with trichoderma. I dumped the contents outside and washed the jars with hot water and soap. I then soaked them for a few hours in bleach. Afterwards, I made another batch of BRF mixture, loaded the jars, and they're being sterilized in a pot at the moment.

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20748320 - 10/24/14 04:40 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone know how often I should check my jars? I've been checking them once every day, but I read that checking the jars can disturb the dry verm layer, in turn causing a higher chance for contams.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20748336 - 10/24/14 04:43 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Check them without moving them, dude. There's 4 inoculation points and you should be able to see 2 of them if you just toss them on the shelf. I have touched like 2 of mine (beyond moving them to a better spot) and this was very, very carefully.

I inoculated 20 jars and all 20 are growing, 5 of which are almost 100%, and I don't think there's any contams so far. *knock on wood*

Moving them around will do nothing positive and you don't even need to check. Just wait til you see some grey splotches and rest assured, something is growing.

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#20748348 - 10/24/14 04:49 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, you check with your eyes not your fingers!  :poke:

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20748431 - 10/24/14 05:13 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Ah okay, I should've figured my current setup was a bad idea. Right now I have all the jars in a cardboard box, which is on top of a shelf in my closet, so I have to carefully take the box down every time I want to check on them. Guess I'll have to make some more room on the shelf so I can fit all the jars within sight.

Edited by alobe (10/24/14 05:13 PM)

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20748468 - 10/24/14 05:26 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

A watched pot never boils. Do you think you're going to speed them up by messing with them? Just leave them alone and if you don't see anything in like 5 days, maybe turn them or something.

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20797519 - 11/05/14 04:28 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

11/5/2014
Sorry for the long overdue update..

All the jars are pretty far along in colonization and a few are in the 1 week consolidation period.

Here are the jars I started over on:

However, I noticed two of the jars from the first picture have developed orange/gold spots on them. I'm guessing it could be metabolites. Any input?

Edited by alobe (11/05/14 04:44 PM)

OfflineToolhead
Toadlicker
Male

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey *DELETED* [Re: alobe]
    #20800115 - 11/06/14 05:12 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by Toolhead

--------------------

Edited by Toolhead (11/06/14 05:16 AM)

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20801388 - 11/06/14 01:16 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The picture isn't the best quality, so those spots actually look a bit less orange and more yellow. But yeah, I moved those two to another room while I keep my eye on them. I still think there's a chance it could be metabolites because I've seen no growth since I first spotted them. Not to mention they appear to be pooled liquid, also leading me to believe metabolites. I'll definitely keep a close watch though.

Offlinem0nster9
Psychedelic newbie
Male

#20801408 - 11/06/14 01:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

That orange/brown stuff is definitely a contam. Iv had jars with green mold, black mold, red mold, orange mold, brown mold. Metabolites form in beads and dont really clump together like that huge spot at the top of the jar. Can you put your nose close to one of the injection ports and take a sniff? If it smells funky, toss it.

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: m0nster9]
    #20801416 - 11/06/14 01:24 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Yea.. def contam.  Metabolites don't look like that at all.  Toss

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: MikeBearPig]
    #20853717 - 11/17/14 11:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

11/17/2014
The first batch of jars appear to be fully consolidated. Each jar has had more than a one week consolidation period (give or take a few days due to not keeping tracking of consolidation start date for each jar). I'm about to birth and dunk/roll, but I just want to be sure I'm good to go.

Also those two jars (bottom two pics) that I suspected were metabs, or possibly contams, have been quarantined since the last update. They appear to have not gotten any worse, but instead the mycelium seems to be fighting it off (or maybe it's just metabs :shrug:). Is it okay to birth them?

Also, here's a pic of an in vitro pin!

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20853860 - 11/18/14 12:19 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

If your SGFC is ready, birth the one with in vitro pins!  Don't forget the dunk and roll  :cookiemonster:

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20854063 - 11/18/14 01:52 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think in vitro pinning cakes are supposed to be rolled in verm after dunking. alobe, you should Google around for discussion on that.

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20854073 - 11/18/14 01:56 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

No.. You should roll them in verm after dunking.. there is no need.  Its perfectly fine to do it.

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20854080 - 11/18/14 02:03 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Am I good to go for the rest of the jars, and the two suspect ones as well?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20854113 - 11/18/14 02:19 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MikeBearPig said:
No.. You should roll them in verm after dunking.. there is no need.  Its perfectly fine to do it.

Ok, I stand corrected. I've seen people say not to roll if there are pins before, but I just searched around and lots of trusted posters say to still roll in verm with pins. Roll it up!

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20854134 - 11/18/14 02:35 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I birth my jars how i fruit my tubs.  Wait for the jar to become covered in knots, hit it with a 24 hr dunk, verm roll.  You will have mushrooms with in the week.

OfflineYerow
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#20854259 - 11/18/14 04:29 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The reason some say not to roll in verm when pinning is it may cause lots of aborts..
I just birthed my jars a small week ago, dunk and rolled and 5-10 of the cakes showing massive amounts of aborts, while the rest of the cakes are looking just fine. :shrug:

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: Yerow]
    #20854450 - 11/18/14 06:27 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

just be careful when rolling, verm is sharp and pins are fragile!
if you wanna see aborts galore just swipe your hand touching the pins in a tub full and watch them die (dont do that)

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20856691 - 11/18/14 04:09 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Okay so I opened one of the two jars that have been quarrantined (both of which are fully colonized/consolidated like the others) and I noticed this on the dry verm layer. Is it cobweb mold or just fluffy mycelium? Also there's an in vitro pin in that same jar (if that means anything).

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20871293 - 11/21/14 04:25 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

11/21/2014
The cakes have been sitting in the FC for a few days now. I have them inside a closet elevated off a storage container. I'm using a hairspray bottle to mist the cakes, as it seems to have the finest spray. I've been trying to keep the room temperature between 68-75°F, but I've been using a space heater to heat the room up, as there are no heating vents in the closet. Is this okay? Can they still fruit in the mid-high 60s?

So far, I've only seen one pin (the one that's pretty noticeable), is this normal? Also, is it okay for the pins/mushrooms to have vermiculite on them?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20871474 - 11/21/14 05:04 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

alobe said:
Okay so I opened one of the two jars that have been quarrantined (both of which are fully colonized/consolidated like the others) and I noticed this on the dry verm layer. Is it cobweb mold or just fluffy mycelium? Also there's an in vitro pin in that same jar (if that means anything).

I'd love an answer on this as well because I fruited a jar containing the same type of growth. I'm assuming it's just mycelium that ate through the verm barrier, but who knows?

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20871484 - 11/21/14 05:05 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

When you birth it, scrub off that nasty verm layer anyways.  It usually colonizes the verm, no big deal.

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20871622 - 11/21/14 05:38 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Does my FC setup look okay?

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20871625 - 11/21/14 05:39 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

everything looks awesome, those cakes got a good life ahead of them!

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20871671 - 11/21/14 05:49 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Oh that's good to hear.

Any advice for drilling holes next time? I know it's still functional, but those holes just looks so ghetto. :ashamed:

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20871700 - 11/21/14 05:54 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I've noticed that stopping the drill right before you're pulling out of the hole will sometimes clip off the shard for you. Also I had my chamber on a wooden board with a hole in it and I'd just drill right through that hole each time.

The reason mine looked so pretty after is because I went to each hole that was sticking out and took an X-acto to it. It was tedious and boring, but the SGFC looked great after and I'm glad I did it. :smile:

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20879600 - 11/23/14 03:20 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

11/23/2014
I noticed my first few non-in vitro pins yesterday (bottom pic). The top pics are from one of the in-vitro pins that's grown significantly. Does it look healthy?

The other in-vitro pin. What's up with this guy? It seems to keep growing, but the head doesn't seem to have much color, and it's growing upside down. Sorry for the pic quality, it's hard to get a good pic of this pin with my shitty point-and-shoot.

Edited by alobe (11/23/14 03:24 PM)

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20889598 - 11/25/14 04:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

11/25/2014

Is this one ready to be picked yet?

Does everything look healthy, and am I getting a normal amount of pinning? It's been almost 6 days since the cakes were put in the FC.

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20893496 - 11/26/14 02:53 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

So when I woke up today, I had to harvest that one mushroom that was pretty far along (cap was already beginning to flatten). I weighed it, and it comes to the equivalent of 1.25 dry grams. As this isn't really enough for a dose, I'm wondering if I could just put the one mushroom inside the dehydrator?

Here's a pic of that mushroom (I know, I waited too long to harvest).

Is this one ready to be harvested? It looks like the veil is tearing.

Edited by alobe (11/26/14 03:02 PM)

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20896846 - 11/27/14 12:17 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

11/25/2014
Happy Thanksgiving!

My first babies. Come out to just over 2g cracker dry after around 12 hours in the dehydrator. :mushroom2:

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20902101 - 11/28/14 08:13 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Are these okay to harvest? The caps are opening, but the fruits don't seem to be very large. Should I wait and let them grow out more?

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20902126 - 11/28/14 08:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Time to switch to tubs :smile:

Offlinealobe
 User Gallery
    #20902182 - 11/28/14 08:32 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

So that's about normal size for PF Tek fruits? I have a few other clusters with about the same size fruits, some beginning to tear and already torn veils, and I was wondering why they're smaller than that first mushroom I harvested.

And yes, I've been reading up about more advanced methods. I just want to make sure these first few flushes can go smoothly.

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20902235 - 11/28/14 08:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

If you can colonize PF jars, you are ready to take on grain.. Its actually easier.

OfflineAcquario
Experience is Wisdom

Loc: EU
    #20902657 - 11/28/14 10:38 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

alobe said:
Oh that's good to hear.

Any advice for drilling holes next time? I know it's still functional, but those holes just looks so ghetto. :ashamed:

"Pilot" the holes. Similar to when you are going to screw into a delicate material, use a smaller bit to pilot a small hole and do this for your entire chamber. You would then go over the small holes with your 1/4" bit and will see a smoother hole in the end. You can also pre-mark your holes two inches apart with a marker before piloting.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United [AMU Q&A Thread] - Ask any question here!

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: Acquario]
    #20902723 - 11/28/14 10:56 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

While that will probably work, holy shit that's going to take so long. There's already something like 300 holes in the chamber. I ain't making 6.

Invisibleswatt_haze
Mkay
 User Gallery

#20903460 - 11/29/14 06:45 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
While that will probably work, holy shit that's going to take so long. There's already something like 300 holes in the chamber. I ain't making 6.

Yea I didnt realize how long it would take to drill holes in a tote.

OfflineAcquario
Experience is Wisdom

Loc: EU
Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: swatt_haze]
    #20903587 - 11/29/14 08:10 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:

Quote:

swatt_haze said:
Quote:

stareatclouds said:

Yea I didnt realize how long it would take to drill holes in a tote.

Yeah, I know it would take extra time but this is a hobby of patience and since you would be waiting from sterilization and inoculation, you have time  :wink:  Also, I am a bit of a perfectionist :amanita2:

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United [AMU Q&A Thread] - Ask any question here!

Invisibleswatt_haze
Mkay
 User Gallery

Re: alobe's PF Tek journey [Re: Acquario]
    #20903650 - 11/29/14 08:37 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Acquario said:
Yeah, I know it would take extra time but this is a hobby of patience and since you would be waiting from sterilization and inoculation, you have time  :wink:  Also, I am a bit of a perfectionist :amanita2:

...Im slowly realizing this hobby takes time. The first days after inoculation were hell. but the past week has been better.  i still have time so i think im gonna make a new FC and take my time.

Offlineharryskinflap
A Nut Sack
 User Gallery

Loc: a nice place
    #20904271 - 11/29/14 12:12 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:thatsjustswell: I cant wait to see more!

--------------------

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #20904363 - 11/29/14 12:38 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MikeBearPig said:
If you can colonize PF jars, you are ready to take on grain.. Its actually easier.

:headbanger:    Welcome to the shroomery    :headbanger:

***READ THE RULES***

We will like you more :]

Mushroom Growing Videos
BRF Tek by EvilMushroom666

Quote:

Willy Wonka said:
These videos are hands down are the best place to learn the basics really quickly.  The link I posted for you gives you a little sample of what the videos are all about. It is totally worth the money to buy the set as a digital down load.  You will find yourself going back to the videos over and over again as a reference to vital information that you will use throughout your future grows.

AFTER ^ :
Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I recommend learning shit :shrug:

do some reading, look some stuff up, know what you're doing before you do it. finding all this stuff takes a 4th grade research skill.

Preparing grain spawn
What to do with that spawn? Coir prep Tek

Know you want to do monotubs right away?

Frank's 12 steps to shrooms (a mono tek for beginners)

Monotubs/Grain spawn
How to get started

1. Make grain spawn WBS is used in the TEK(I use rye)
Frank's WBS Prep (perfect every time)

2. If you want to expand your grain jars without individual inoculation use G2G transfers
Grain to grain in a SAB
Also
TL's take on G2G with video

3. Now you should have colonized grain spawn, time to make a bulk substrate to spawn to.
Frank's Simple Coir/Verm Tek
I personally use coir
Frank's hpoo substrate, revisited
poo works too

4. That substrate has to be pasteurized, here's some info to clear up any confusion about pasteurization
Frank's Proper Pasteurization Tek 3.0

5. Ok you have spawn and bulk substrate, time to mix them
Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub)

6. Additional monotub info for best results
How to dial in your monotubs like a boss

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Fine vermiculite.  Course verm is better suited as a building insulation, and fine verm is better suited for mycology.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13808466

Teks/Useful Info:

6T WBS Tek (No Simmer/Easy Tek)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
My rye tek:
Measure out your organic rye berries from a health food store, one cup for each quart jar you intend to make. Place them in a large pot. Rinse the heck out of them. Fill the pot with hot tap water, shake and swirl it around and pour it out. Do this three or four times until the water you pour out is clear. You'll be able to see when you have nice clean water to pour off instead of water filled with chaff and dirt.

You want to now cover the rye berries with three times as much hot tap water as you have rye. Use half coffee and half plain water. In other words, if you have two inches of rye in the bottom of your pan, you should have six inches of water/coffee above that, for a total of 8 inches.  Add approximately a 1/4 teaspoon of gypsum per cup of rye. Stir these into the water/grain well. For my large kettle with ten cups of rye and two to three gallons of water, or (coffee/water)I add a tablespoon of gypsum and mix in. Cover and leave this to sit for 6-24 hours.

Stir well and set the pot on the stove. Bring to a boil. Boil for ten minutes, then, WHILE BOILING, drain the contents through a very large colander. (spaghetti strainer) If you're making a large batch, you may need more than one colander. Tip the colander side to side to get the rye to drain as much of the water as you can. Then, shake the colander in order to 'toss' the grain. This will cause a lot of steam to rise from your rye. Great. Do this a time or two, then let it sit for five minutes, then repeat. When all the moisture that will drip or evaporate from your rye has already done so, load your jars. The rye should look and feel dry to the touch when you load the jars. All the moisture you need is inside the grain.

Fill jars no more than 2/3 full if they are to receive grain to grain transfers, or no more than 3/4 full if they are to be inoculated by spore syringe or agar wedge. Use a lid with a synthetic filter disk, polyfill, tyvek or similar. Cover with foil and PC the jars for at least 90 minutes at 15lbs. I use 120 minutes. When the jars are cool, they're ready to inoculate.

This is the procedure that's demonstrated on my DVD.
RR

Dunk Your Grains

Damion5050's Elementary Coir Tek

Mono Holes: 1.5" sides, 2" top.

Principles Of A Monotub (A MUST READ!)

SGFC: 1/4" (6mm) 6 sides.

Principles Of An SGFC (A MUST READ!)

Good idea of the type of sprayer you want

How It SHOULD And SHOULDN'T Look (Pictorial)

Cubensis Pinning Strategies

Cubensis Spore List

PastyWhyte's Easy Agar

Hope these help,

Good Vibes,
:nyan:

- Gyo

Quote:

swatt_haze said:
Quote:

Acquario said:

...Im slowly realizing this hobby takes time. The first days after inoculation were hell. but the past week has been better.  i still have time so i think im gonna make a new FC and take my time.

Read my sig.
You have no idea how valuable of a lesson you just learned. Take that and apply it to LIFE and watch yours change dramatically.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract