Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! * 1
    #20662045 - 10/05/14 03:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

...if you live in Germany.

This Country Just Abolished College Tuition Fees

I suspect conservatives on this board would argue that somehow this makes German citizens less "free", and that they'd rather bear a crushing tuition debt rather than allowing their freedom to be "taken away".  Or am I wrong about them thinking this is a bad thing???  :shrug:

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #20662076 - 10/05/14 03:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Most people don't need college educations this push to shove more people into college is a leftist ploy to make debt slaves of the average american. And if it was free SHIT taxes would skyrocket fuck that. College degrees don't fix the economy.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 1
    #20662197 - 10/05/14 03:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure what you mean by "Most people don't need college educations..."  Statistically, you're likely to earn close to twice as much money with a college degree:

I guess most people don't "need" to earn twice as much, but I suspect most people want to.

As for taxes, people who don't go to college statistically won't make enough money to pay taxes anyway, so they wouldn't get hurt.  And people who do go to college only pay in proportion to what it earned them, so they'll come out ahead too.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20662220 - 10/05/14 04:03 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Think Progress calls it free.  It isn't free.  Somebody is paying for it

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20662228 - 10/05/14 04:04 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Not sure what you mean by "Most people don't need college educations..."  Statistically, you're likely to earn close to twice as much money with a college degree:

I guess most people don't "need" to earn twice as much, but I suspect most people want to.

As for taxes, people who don't go to college statistically won't make enough money to pay taxes anyway, so they wouldn't get hurt.  And people who do go to college only pay in proportion to what it earned them, so they'll come out ahead too.

You are going to have to do better than that to show that it is college that is causing the increased earning

--------------------

Offlinesweeper54
Male User Gallery

Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #20662299 - 10/05/14 04:18 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

No, EVERYONE is paying for it. It's a commitment to advance the nation.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: zappaisgod]
    #20662312 - 10/05/14 04:20 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Duh.  :facepalm:  If anyone here is too dumb to understand that (which I doubt), I've already discussed it above.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
You are going to have to do better than that to show that it is college that is causing the increased earning

I've shown correlation.  If you don't believe there's causation, then please feel free to tell us all why college educated people, on average, make double.  :popcorn:

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#20662381 - 10/05/14 04:36 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

So are the teachers and staff workung for free etc? 
Object to your use of the word "free" and its a glaring example of your lack of wisdom.
I

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20662450 - 10/05/14 04:48 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Duh.  :facepalm:  If anyone here is too dumb to understand that (which I doubt), I've already discussed it above.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

I've shown correlation.  If you don't believe there's causation, then please feel free to tell us all why college educated people, on average, make double.  :popcorn:

I do not bellieve they do make double but number one I would start with selection bias and also note that any metric that comes close to that includes my generation.  Idiots were not admitted to college back then.  Now let's talk about the number of people who are starting college and not finishing. 

My thesis is that for the vast majority of people if you are smart enough to complete a rigorous college program, which does not encompass any social science or grievance study, you are smart enough to do so without it.  The only university education worth a shit anymore is the hard sciences.  The rest is bunk that is being sold to shmucks in order to enrich a bunch of bureaucrats who contribute exactly nothing to education.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: sweeper54]
    #20662453 - 10/05/14 04:49 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

sweeper54 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

No, EVERYONE is paying for it. It's a commitment to advance the nation.

Not true.  Only the few who pay taxes are paying for it.  What's your tax bill?

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: Shins] * 1
    #20662485 - 10/05/14 04:55 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
Object to your use of the word "free" and its a glaring example of your lack of wisdom.

Sigh.  :rolleyes:

Let me repost what I previously stated since some of you don't bother reading:

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

Taxes will never go away, so we just need to better prioritize how our money is spent and vote corporate cronies out.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20662545 - 10/05/14 05:06 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Shins said:

Sigh.  :rolleyes:

Let me repost what I previously stated since some of you don't bother reading:

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

Taxes will never go away, so we just need to better prioritize how our money is spent and vote corporate cronies out.

We need to get rid of the corporate tax entirely and either tax all income the same or all consumption the same.  It will end corporate cronyism and corporate welfare.  :And get rid of the fucking death tax as well.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: zappaisgod]
    #20662617 - 10/05/14 05:22 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
We need to get rid of the corporate tax entirely and either tax all income the same or all consumption the same.  It will end corporate cronyism and corporate welfare.

I'd be fine with getting rid of the corporate tax and making up for it by restoring capital gains tax rates to at least match the income tax rate.  The poor currently aren't paid enough to tax them at the same rate.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
  :And get rid of the fucking death tax as well.

It's not a death tax, it's an estate tax, as it only has to be paid under certain circumstances, such as inheritance.  Why should rich kids get taxed less on unearned income than poor kids who work their ass off for the same money?  Besides, the first $5,000,000 of inheritance is currently tax free, so quit whining.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20662809 - 10/05/14 06:00 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
We need to get rid of the corporate tax entirely and either tax all income the same or all consumption the same.  It will end corporate cronyism and corporate welfare.

I'd be fine with getting rid of the corporate tax and making up for it by restoring capital gains tax rates to at least match the income tax rate.  The poor currently aren't paid enough to tax them at the same rate.

I agree wiith getting rid of corporate and cap gains
Quote:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
  :And get rid of the fucking death tax as well.

It's not a death tax, it's an estate tax, as it only has to be paid under certain circumstances, such as inheritance.  Why should rich kids get taxed less on unearned income than poor kids who work their ass off for the same money?  Besides, the first $5,000,000 of inheritance is currently tax free, so quit whining.

There is no reason why there should be an estate tax at all.  Should you pay a tax every time you give your kid  a present?

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #20662843 - 10/05/14 06:07 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Student loans are one of the main ways that people build a good credit history from scratch, if not THE main way. Creditors LOVE to see someone who paid back their student loans, for two reasons. First because they have good credit obviously, but second because it means they went to college which normally means a higher lifetime income, statistically. And banks and creditors are all about those kinds of statistics.

If you want a house, get a student loan first. Student loans are really good for the people who pay them back. It's one of the easiest and best ways to build a quality credit history.

Edited by nooneman (10/05/14 06:08 PM)

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
    #20663194 - 10/05/14 07:06 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
...if you live in Germany.

This Country Just Abolished College Tuition Fees

I suspect conservatives on this board would argue that somehow this makes German citizens less "free", and that they'd rather bear a crushing tuition debt rather than allowing their freedom to be "taken away".  Or am I wrong about them thinking this is a bad thing???  :shrug:

hey, college tuition is free in many universities throughout the US, if you are a

'person of color' or 'underrepresented' or 'an undocumented immigrant'.

:smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: starfire_xes] * 1
    #20663319 - 10/05/14 07:34 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I think you're talking out of your ass.  Please cite a source showing a college offering full ride scholarships to undocumented immigrants.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: Enlil]
    #20663486 - 10/05/14 08:14 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
I think you're talking out of your ass.  Please cite a source showing a college offering full ride scholarships to undocumented immigrants.

Heres rhe turd for ya

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/11539/

If just 1 illegal immigrant gets a free ride, then my statement is correct.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: starfire_xes]
    #20663530 - 10/05/14 08:26 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Actually, no...You said, "many"....one does not many make.  Thanks for the link, though.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: College Tuition is now FREE for the entire County! [Re: nooneman] * 1
    #20664250 - 10/05/14 11:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
Student loans are one of the main ways that people build a good credit history from scratch, if not THE main way. Creditors LOVE to see someone who paid back their student loans, for two reasons. First because they have good credit obviously, but second because it means they went to college which normally means a higher lifetime income, statistically. And banks and creditors are all about those kinds of statistics.

If you want a house, get a student loan first. Student loans are really good for the people who pay them back. It's one of the easiest and best ways to build a quality credit history.

:facepalm:

There's other ways to establish a decent credit history without drowning oneself in student loan debt.

To suggest that student debt is some sort of good thing is ridiculous, who sold you on this concept? A college?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order