Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: MonkeyJesusFresco]
    #20537019 - 09/08/14 09:35 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

wtf is going on here?
When did I say this stuff I'm being quoted on? :confused:
Why is all this is 36' ancient thread?
what's inginuitive about shitting in a TC's thread?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

Loc: South East USA Flag
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: spacechildo]
    #20537033 - 09/08/14 09:41 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

uh oh! quote editing error! :rofl: sorrrrrry! :rofldrunk:

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: spacechildo]
    #20537061 - 09/08/14 09:51 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:laugh2:

now it makes a bit more sense! I couldnt for the life of me figure out
what the hell I have been writing :lol:

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
    #20537245 - 09/08/14 11:01 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:canthelpbutlaugh:

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20634949 - 09/29/14 12:09 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I finally figured this out! And I didn't even have to keep growing to do it!

Apparently I was having the same problem as Frank, with hidden contams. I gave my cultures and most of my equipment to a close friend. He let some 100% colonized (to the edge and farther) plates sit around in the fridge for a while and after probably 4-6 weeks he pulled them out to find them growing the same mold I was getting before on top of my Cubensis myc.

I'm thinking that my schmuvbox was just fucked, since it was about 4 years old and had been in several houses with several very heavy smokers, dragged around while I mostly lived in my car on tour for a couple years and generally kind of neglected unless I was using it. All my original agar work (master plates) was done in it, which would explain why it transferred through to my future plates/jars/tubs even doing clean work in my SAB. I'll have to buy another once I can grow again and see if that fixes it.

So for all the haters, it wasn't the schmuvbox that fucked me, it was my schmuv in particular being old as piss and not well taken care of. My advice is to store it how I used to, inside a new trash bag each time, inside the box it came in. When I quit doing that, I got problems shortly after.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlinetombosley8
Full on... Bossley Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #20635131 - 09/29/14 12:59 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:patriot:  :cheer:  :congrats:  :hairmetal:  :headbang3:  Hells yeah good to hear I've been hoping for a break through here as i've been having similar issues. I think either i am fucking my sterile procedure up somewhere or my flowhood is fucked. I had some ok success until just recently. I have worked in a sab with the same horiible success rate but i think all cultures were started or were at some point in front of the hood. Although i can't see the contam everything goes green once in bulk... I'm going to get a shmuv and start fresh again with spores in there and a sab and see if i can get a clean culture. Apparently nothing i do right now is clean and it baffles me because i have had success with the same technique.
Do you think that taking clones from this contammed culture will carry the contam as well? Would i be better off just to start from spores? And would taking spore prints be better than taking clones in possibly getting away from the contam?

and for the shmuv what exactly am i looking for when buying the air purifier? Would the desktop or smaller models work? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-HEPAClean-Compact-Air-Purifier-HHT-011/16563555 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Holmes-Aer1-HEPA-Desktop-Air-Purifier/37617658 ?
edit:been looking around and i think that first link i gave is the best choice....

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (09/29/14 04:17 PM)

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #20635139 - 09/29/14 01:01 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Great 36, either was your spawn or your schmuvbox, im glad you found your problem :smile:.

InvisibleGhatti
Totally not a Federal Agent
 User Gallery
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20635267 - 09/29/14 01:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Why are you going to basically a positive pressure mostly sterile work area  over what I assume to be a functional flowhood?

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: Ghatti]
    #20636272 - 09/29/14 04:43 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Alien said:
Great 36, either was your spawn or your schmuvbox, im glad you found your problem :smile:.

It was the spawn because of my dirty schmuvbox.

Quote:

Ghatti said:
Why are you going to basically a positive pressure mostly sterile work area  over what I assume to be a functional flowhood?

Because apparently his flowhood isn't that functional.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20636579 - 09/29/14 05:39 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
I finally figured this out! And I didn't even have to keep growing to do it!

Apparently I was having the same problem as Frank, with hidden contams. I gave my cultures and most of my equipment to a close friend. He let some 100% colonized (to the edge and farther) plates sit around in the fridge for a while and after probably 4-6 weeks he pulled them out to find them growing the same mold I was getting before on top of my Cubensis myc.

I'm thinking that my schmuvbox was just fucked, since it was about 4 years old and had been in several houses with several very heavy smokers, dragged around while I mostly lived in my car on tour for a couple years and generally kind of neglected unless I was using it. All my original agar work (master plates) was done in it, which would explain why it transferred through to my future plates/jars/tubs even doing clean work in my SAB. I'll have to buy another once I can grow again and see if that fixes it.

So for all the haters, it wasn't the schmuvbox that fucked me, it was my schmuv in particular being old as piss and not well taken care of. My advice is to store it how I used to, inside a new trash bag each time, inside the box it came in. When I quit doing that, I got problems shortly after.

yeah i keep my shmuvbox in the box it came in and i wrap it from airflow in a draft free area away from everything. i only use it for clean work so its only being used a few times a week. i did have one filter last 6 years. but i just replaced it recently. so far this year i have no contams from clean work inside it. ive got tons of grows and clones to show the clean work is growing perfectly and there is no contamination or dirty spawn. maybe its time to replace it. living with smokers is difficult and im surprised that you actually had success with it while living with smokers. i definitely religiously keep mine in a draft free area. i don't wrap it in a bag but keep it in the box closed.

i can see where your situation has caused you not to be able to keep the shmuv clean. if you leave it sitting in the garage or a hot area in perfect conditions for mold to grow. i can see how the inside can get contaminated with mold. hey, i still have mine for going on 11 years but, i keep it very clean.
at least you figured it out. thats great. and hopefully things will be steady so you won't have that situation again.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

InvisibleBig Bear
Earf Child
Male User Gallery

Loc: In love, On time
    #20637770 - 09/29/14 09:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet read.

--------------------
Need help growing? Ask AMU for hassle free answers.

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time...

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: Big Bear]
    #20638270 - 09/29/14 11:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Do you think that taking clones from this contammed culture will carry the contam as well? Would i be better off just to start from spores? And would taking spore prints be better than taking clones in possibly getting away from the contam?

It depends on how you do it. If you're trying to isolate from hidden contaminants don't transfer a piece of agar. Instead scrape some mycelium fragments from the top of the colony onto a blade and inoculate the new plate with that.

--------------------

Offlineshroomindia
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: Kizzle]
    #20639173 - 09/30/14 08:35 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Wow! So glad to know this is solved! I was having the same issues. I just started fresh culture by grain to agar as I had no spores left. :grin:

Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: shroomindia]
    #20639178 - 09/30/14 08:42 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:header:

InvisibleGhatti
Totally not a Federal Agent
 User Gallery
Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: pawnzy]
    #20639278 - 09/30/14 09:24 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

If you have a ride along contam then going colonized grain to agar won't likely help much

Offlineshroomindia
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: Ghatti]
    #20641414 - 09/30/14 05:54 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Oh! :confused: I was planning to make a few transfers as well. Won't help? What if I put a pin from the jar on agar ?

Offlinetombosley8
Full on... Bossley Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: shroomindia]
    #20641510 - 09/30/14 06:07 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

i tried using grain to agar from a culture with hiding contam and it still stayed hidden so i'd say if you want to put your effort where it counts get some new spores. I Am able to fruit my hidden contammed myc on brf cakes so i can take clones or spore prints but i am afraid somehow even the inner stem tissue will carry the contam. I almost think prints will be more safe as it's not live mycelium and the hidden contam is not sporelating so germinating spores should give me clean myc if i take the print correctly... So i will try both and compare.  Anyone have a good print taking tek? Do i just sterilize an easily accessable jar with tinfoil on the bottem then place a cap with an unbroken veil(?) on in sterile conditions and wait for it to drop spores. Then remove cap? and how do i let them dry?

--------------------

Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

Re: Cannot, for the life of me, figure out my contamination source. [Re: tombosley8]
    #20643574 - 10/01/14 08:40 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tombosley8 said:
i tried using grain to agar from a culture with hiding contam and it still stayed hidden so i'd say if you want to put your effort where it counts get some new spores. I Am able to fruit my hidden contammed myc on brf cakes so i can take clones or spore prints but i am afraid somehow even the inner stem tissue will carry the contam. I almost think prints will be more safe as it's not live mycelium and the hidden contam is not sporelating so germinating spores should give me clean myc if i take the print correctly... So i will try both and compare.  Anyone have a good print taking tek? Do i just sterilize an easily accessable jar with tinfoil on the bottem then place a cap with an unbroken veil(?) on in sterile conditions and wait for it to drop spores. Then remove cap? and how do i let them dry?

Take a pyrex baking dish, and a sheet of tinfoil. Cut your caps off with razor blades and place them on the foil under the dish. voila

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract