Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMushroom Alex
Quiet Enthusiast

LED Strip Lighting question
    #20500382 - 08/31/14 02:19 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Everyone :grin:

First post, woo! :mushroom2:

I would hate to be one of those people who post a question that has already been answered (multiple times...). I did try to search for similar posts and could not find anything even vaguely similar to my question, so I will go ahead and post it.

Back to the issue at hand: I am looking to buy LED strip lighting for the INSIDE of my SGFC. I know that this isn't ideal, and I am aware that CFLs are considered better.

I am doing this for stealth, as I want an opaque SGFC (so that nosy visitors can't see my babies).

As for my question:

I have the option between buying SMD5050 strip lights of the Cool White colour temperature with IP ratings of IP65 or IP67. For an environment as humid as a SGFC, would it be possible to get away with IP65, which is a lot cheaper and has a substantially higher lumen output and W/m than the IP67, or should I be more cautious and buy the IP67?

Here is a link explaining what the different IP ratings mean:
http://www.mpl.ch/info/IPratings.html

Here are a little more details about each strip light:

IP65 - Item Code: 5050E-STRIP-IP65
Coating: DRIP EPOXY
Waterproof: IP65
Applications: Interior / Effect  / Kitchens/Domestic/Low-Medium use
Certificates: CE and ROHS
Type of LED's: SMD 5050
Qty LED's: 60/Meter
Input DC: 12V
Power: 14,4Watts/Meter
Power Supply for 5m - 84Watts
Max. Strip Lights: 5M Strip Light
Working Current: 1.32Amps/Meter
Dimensions: 10mm x 6mm x 5M
Vewing angle: 120 Degrees
Mounting: 3M Double sided Tape
Cutting and or Reconnecting: Every 50mm
Colours: W.W / C.W / R / B / Y
Lumens/m: 700 / 800 / 200 / 150/ 180
Warranty:  2 Years
PRICE: R98/m (~$10)
Link: http://www.ledz.co.za/product/led_strip_lights_5050_waterproof_ip65_5m_reels_60leds_per_meter

IP67 - Power consumption: 12V
LED/m: 60
Chip: 5050
Colour Temp: 5500-6500K
Lumens/m: 300
W/m: 4.8
PRICE: R189/m (~$19)
Link: http://www.oznium.co.za/led-lights/waterproof-flexible-led-strip-light/

(Please excuse the inconsistency in the comparison format, South African websites are very "3rd world" compared to American ones; I couldn't get all the same information from each site...)

Thank you very much for any input!

--------------------
This profile is 100% fictitious and exists only in your imagination.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMushiez
 User Gallery

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: Mushroom Alex]
    #20500401 - 08/31/14 02:29 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You're gonna want a light strictly 6500k not just 5500-6500k

LED are costlier than a regular cheap 26 watt 6500k daylight cfl bulb

light is a secondary pinning trigger so lights don't have to be fancy

InvisibleMushroom Alex
Quiet Enthusiast

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: Mushiez]
    #20500487 - 08/31/14 03:24 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the quick response, Mushiez! :thumbup: :smile:

As far as I understand, 6500K is optimal for triggering fruiting, but the range stated (5500-6500K) will work fine, won't it? I would think it would just not work optimally, but good enough for home cultivation purposes. Is that possible?

I understand that CFLs are cheaper, more reliable and much easier to use. But for my purposes, they will not work. I need something that can go inside my SGFC, and from what I have read on the Shroomery, CFLs are wayyyyyyyyyy too hot to be put in a SGFC and will scorch PF-Tek style BRF cakes to DEATH. Also, if I buy LED strip lights like I plan to, there are added advantages of more durability and extended life over CFLs. And the way I see it, it just saves me the effort of having to devise a lighting rig that isn't a fire hazard...

Wait... Just to make sure, having LED strip lights in my SGFC won't be a fire hazard if I wire and insulate it properly, will it? :eek:

I agree, they don't need to be fancy, but they are still a pinning trigger nonetheless. Better lighting = better pinset, no? :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSanguin3
Optimist

Re: LED Strip Lighting question *DELETED* [Re: Mushroom Alex]
    #20500817 - 08/31/14 08:25 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Sanguin3

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20500843 - 08/31/14 08:37 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mushroom Alex said:
Thanks for the quick response, Mushiez! :thumbup: :smile:

As far as I understand, 6500K is optimal for triggering fruiting, but the range stated (5500-6500K) will work fine, won't it?

That range works fine, but the light is not a primary pinning trigger.

Quote:

Mushroom Alex said:I agree, they don't need to be fancy, but they are still a pinning trigger nonetheless. Better lighting = better pinset, no? :smile:

Not really, but can mean healthier fruits in general.

The problem with lights in a SGFC, even LED, is heat. Although they create less heat than a CFL, they still produce some heat. It may be enough to throw off the humidity and airflow. I've never used them, so I can't so for sure.

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (08/31/14 08:37 AM)

InvisibleMushroom Alex
Quiet Enthusiast

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: Sanguin3]
    #20503638 - 08/31/14 09:38 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sanguin3 said:

I don't know about scorching them to death. They might get a couple degrees warmer

You are right, scorching them to DEATH is a bit of an overstatement, but I am just dramatic like that :tongue: Is it not of utmost importance to keep the environment in the terrarium as close to optimal conditions as possible, i.e. in the correct temperature range of between 24-28 degrees Celsius (75-82 degrees Fahrenheit) (for Psilocybe Cubensis)? I would have thought that even something as mildly hot as a CFL (or even lights that run as cool as LEDs) would be hot enough to make a material difference, but I'm still a newbie... :grin:

Quote:

Sanguin3 said:
I would go with the IP67 just to be safe. Make sure there isn't anything exposed in the SGFC like wires or lights. And yes 5500k would work, it isn't optimal but you already know that.

While it's not what I wanted to hear, thank you for the sage advice :thumbup: I will try and be as professional as possible in my electrical setup!

If it states the range is 5500-6500K, what could I realistically expect the colour temperature to be? Or is it a lottery depending on the light manufacturer?

Quote:

Sanguin3 said:
Personally I would just wait until you don't have to hide your grow and can do things the right way.

I wish... But I'm a long way away from owning my own property and I would rather err on the side of caution until that point.

Thanks for the response, Sanguin!  :regularshroom:

--------------------

InvisibleMushroom Alex
Quiet Enthusiast

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20503724 - 08/31/14 10:01 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

That range works fine, but the light is not a primary pinning trigger.

"The" light as in the 5500-6500K LED Strip Lighting, or light in general?

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Quote:

Mushroom Alex said:
I agree, they don't need to be fancy, but they are still a pinning trigger nonetheless. Better lighting = better pinset, no? :smile:

Not really, but can mean healthier fruits in general.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Once you get the other factors down, light can be the deciding factor between a mediocre pinset and a perfect flush, time after time.

RogerRabbit said:
Bright, intense light is going to stimulate a much better pinset than dim, low light.

I read these RR quotes and just assumed it to be true. Instead of obsessing over a secondary pinning trigger like lighting, could you please direct me to a primary pinning trigger and techniques targeting it that I could put extra effort into to increase my chances of successful flushes?

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
The problem with lights in a SGFC, even LED, is heat. Although they create less heat than a CFL, they still produce some heat. It may be enough to throw off the humidity and airflow. I've never used them, so I can't so for sure.

Do you think that the heating effect of the LEDs is something that I could measure and then proceed to calculate the (approximate) effect on the SGFC?

Can you please elaborate on how it could affect the airflow? Just for interest's sake. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineLumpyNutz
Bad fisH <*))))<
 User Gallery

Loc: Stuck in this dream Flag
    #20503738 - 08/31/14 10:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Just put your FC in like, a big carboard box or something. Hang a regular floro bulb above it. 6500k is ideal.
And just close the lid when you got company! This would probably require more fanning however due to the enclosed quarters and low fae..

--------------------
This is uh... no offence... but you are a robot aren't you?

GET SHPONGLED

InvisibleSanguin3
Optimist

Re: LED Strip Lighting question *DELETED* [Re: LumpyNutz]
    #20503806 - 08/31/14 10:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Sanguin3

OfflineLumpyNutz
Bad fisH <*))))<
 User Gallery

#20503844 - 08/31/14 10:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sanguin3 said:
Quote:

LumpyNutz said:
Just put your FC in like, a big carboard box or something.

And don't do that

Lol sorry im stoned, i thought it sounded kinda dumb when i was writing it :rofl:
I have a spare bathroom I tell everyone I use for "storage". Lttle do they know its my secret grow lab mwahahaha!:drevil:

--------------------

GET SHPONGLED

OfflineDemore1029
Mycologist

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: LumpyNutz]
    #20503859 - 08/31/14 10:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't use LEDs. Your mushrooms will grow just fine just by checking up on them.

OfflineLumpyNutz
Bad fisH <*))))<
 User Gallery

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: Demore1029]
    #20503869 - 08/31/14 10:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Demore1029 said:
I wouldn't use LEDs. Your mushrooms will grow just fine just by checking up on them.

So your saying, just "checking up on them" will provide sufficient light to grow mushrooms? Interesting... :hmm:

--------------------

GET SHPONGLED

InvisibleSanguin3
Optimist

Re: LED Strip Lighting question *DELETED* [Re: Demore1029]
    #20503880 - 08/31/14 10:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Sanguin3

OfflineDemore1029
Mycologist

#20503915 - 08/31/14 10:43 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sanguin3 said:
Quote:

Demore1029 said:

:trollmove:

:manofapproval:

OfflineDemore1029
Mycologist

#20503918 - 08/31/14 10:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

No, seriously. Using lights are a waste of time.

OfflineLumpyNutz
Bad fisH <*))))<
 User Gallery

#20503941 - 08/31/14 10:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

ok this is getting ridiculous now!
:aweshit:

--------------------

GET SHPONGLED

Invisiblestonesun
Sclerotia Aficionado
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 64º08'00"N 21º56'00"W
Trusted Cultivator
    #20504066 - 08/31/14 11:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Demore1029 said:
No, seriously. Using lights are a waste of time.

:archiebunker:

Troll is banned, back to normal.

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: stonesun]
    #20504276 - 09/01/14 12:47 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

In the case of both CFLs and LEDs the color temp is more of a guide, both of these things are trying to replicate that temp to the eye.
LEDs generally spike in the blue and yellow, which mix to appear white.
This is purely guess work but if I were setting up LED lights I would get a strip of white, and either a strip of blue or a strip of blue and one of green to better mimick a cool color spectrum.

As far as a fire hazard I doubt it would be an issue, plastic and substrate don't burn very well.
Put the strip on a surge/short protected outlet and if anything goes wrong the protector will trip before you light anything on fire.

I've worked with similar LEDs and given that one short can sometimes kill the whole roll, I would spend the extra for the plastic coating to be sure they are protected.

InvisibleMushroom Alex
Quiet Enthusiast

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: StygianKnight]
    #20508815 - 09/02/14 12:07 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sanguin3 said:
Cubes grow here in Florida in 90  degree weather, they can grow just fine outside of that temp range that's just what's considered optimal. Lower temps and you get slower growth, higher and your risk of contaminates goes up.

Is this true for fruiting as well? I've heard this about mycelial growth (is that the correct way of saying it? Mycelial growth? :confused:) but I (think I) have also read that once mycelium is established the risk of contamination is a lot lower because any contams that begin to develop are fought off by natural antibiotics and the mycelium itself. :smile: Is that correct?

After following the link you sent me on how the SGFC works, I am wondering is this isn't going to be a problem:

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Condensation forms on the inside walls when the temperature inside the SGFC is higher than outside the SGFC. A properly made SGFC shouldn't have enough of a temperature difference to cause condensation. If it does, then you are not likely getting good FAE. In other words, condensation is not a good sign of proper humidity, instead it's more of a sign of low FAE.

Will this be a big problem?

Quote:

Sanguin3 said:
I hear ya. Not sure what it's like in South Africa but here in the US if you get busted with a grow op everyone in the household can potentially be charged with the crime. Just keep that in mind, you're putting other people at risk. If you live with your parents consider just asking them and explaining why you want to grow, worked for me. :shrug:

I hate that I am putting other people at risk by following a seemingly harmless hobby, but I can see no way around it. I am staying in a rented flat and I have no other place to attempt growing. I am not a druggie who is only here to get shrooms; I genuinely have an interest in mycology (albeit shallow at this early stage of my learning) and I am not willing to wait for up to 10 years before I own my own property to begin with experimentation!

What did you explain to your parents that they understood? :eek: You must be one persuasive person, because if I asked my parents if I could grow "drugs" at home, I'd be one unhappy camper.

--------------------

InvisibleMushroom Alex
Quiet Enthusiast

Re: LED Strip Lighting question [Re: StygianKnight]
    #20509302 - 09/02/14 05:30 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

StygianKnight said:
As far as a fire hazard I doubt it would be an issue, plastic and substrate don't burn very well.
Put the strip on a surge/short protected outlet and if anything goes wrong the protector will trip before you light anything on fire.

This makes a lot of sense. I will try and be extra safe about it anyways. :grin:

Quote:

StygianKnight said:
I've worked with similar LEDs and given that one short can sometimes kill the whole roll, I would spend the extra for the plastic coating to be sure they are protected.

What kind of plastic coating? Could I do it with silicon sealant? Is the short a result of water condensing on the strip light?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract