Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedokunai
Cactus, Cannabis, Cubensis

Loc: Hyphal Heights, USA
DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools
    #20484268 - 08/27/14 01:47 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools

http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2014/08/27/dare-is-not-cool-with-weed-decriminalization-in-la-schools

California DARE Coordinator Steve Abercrombie was not pleased to learn the news that the Los Angeles Unified School District had decriminalized small amounts of marijuana at its schools.

"Wow," he tells Toke of the Town. "It seems we keep giving in more and more to different crimes and criminal activity. When does it stop? When do you finally say that you need to follow the rules?"

The district announced more lenient policies in which school police will no longer report students — or issue them tickets — if they're involved in petty theft, most fights, or possession of alcohol, tobacco or marijuana.

The rule changes resulted from two years of talks between lawyers, judges, school police and civil rights groups who aimed to end LAUSD's zero-tolerance policies.

One goal is to reduce the influence of campus police, softening the rules so that kids who typically get into trouble don't drop out.

At issue, in part, is that black students make up about one-third of school police arrests, yet they make up less than 10 percent of the student population.

This, of course, is not exactly in line with the philosophy of the long-running Drug Abuse Resistance Education program.

Abercrombie says it makes more sense to train school police to stop targeting black students than it does to decriminalize weed in schools.

"If it's against the law, it's against the law," he says.

Despite this change, Los Angeles schools are not the most permissive when it comes to this issue. Abercrombie points to Berkeley schools, where most students found with pot are sent to counseling, rather than to the police.

Berkeley Unified School District's Mark Coplan notes that administrators there are concerned about teen marijuana use. But, he adds, Berkeley students have the lowest tobacco use rate in California; apparently parents there condemn cigarettes but look the other way on cannabis.

"I'm surprised they don't hand [cannabis] out when they hand out their workbooks," says Abercrombie, exasperated. "They're so out in space, it's unbelievable."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: dokunai] * 2
    #20484333 - 08/27/14 01:58 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Sure, let's just keep locking the kids up in cages for it and ruining their lives. That'll show the little bastards.

Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: dokunai] * 1
    #20484360 - 08/27/14 02:03 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Fuck DARE and the horse they rode in on.

--------------------
Today while walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish he'd stay away

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: flower_child] * 2
    #20484593 - 08/27/14 03:00 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

When does it stop? - Looks like it just stopped. Just not in the way you wanted.

When do you finally say that you need to follow the rules?" - Looks like there's a new rule....

OfflineDpRwav
Flesh Vehicle
Male

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: wildernessjunkie] * 2
    #20484914 - 08/27/14 04:27 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

DARE is still a thing?

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: DpRwav]
    #20485051 - 08/27/14 04:58 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I honestly wore their shirt for a couple years after highschool at work, it was very comfortable and I don't like violence.

Offlinedokunai
Cactus, Cannabis, Cubensis

Loc: Hyphal Heights, USA
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #20485102 - 08/27/14 05:12 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I had to do a skit during DARE time where another kid offered me like every drug he could possibly name and I had to say no to all of them and give a reason.

I obviously learned many effective ways to deal with such a situation, as demonstrated in the dramatic reenactment of a day in the life of the most dejected drug dealer ever which my partner and I presented in front of the class.  Today though, I wouldn't use any of the ones I learned back then.  It would be more like "That's quite an impressive variety of stock you have there.  Where is the nearest ATM and can we go there together right now?"

OfflineBugler Boy
Cultivar

Loc: In your head
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: dokunai] * 1
    #20485673 - 08/27/14 07:29 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
The mushroom speaks: '"I am old, older than thought in your species, which is itself fifty times older than your history. Though I have been on earth for ages I am from the stars. My home is no one planet, for many worlds scattered through the shining disc of the galaxy have conditions which allow my spores an opportunity for life... How the hypercommunication mode operates is a secret which will not be lightly given to man. But the means should be obvious: it is the occurrence of psilocybin and psilocin in the biosynthetic pathways of my living body that opens for me and my symbiots the vision screens to many worlds"

Offlinelsdkiwi
Student of the Universe

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: Bugler Boy]
    #20486083 - 08/27/14 08:50 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bugler Boy said:

Probably the greatest thing ever :lmafo:

--------------------
"lsdkiwi ignored every person that gave him advice that conflicted with what he wanted to hear.
He's the type of person who blames all his problems on others, and refuses to accept any sort of responsibility for things that take place in his life. This thread was a complete waste of time."

"They hate us 'cause they ain't us" - Kim Jong Un

One day we'll look back on these times and wonder how people could have been so discriminatory against pot smokers during the prohibition era.  This is a fight for the right to explore altered consciousness at will for both spiritual and recreational purposes.

:leaf: :leaf: :leaf:

OfflineMacMerdin
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: The Island of Misfit Toys
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: dokunai]
    #20486124 - 08/27/14 08:59 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dokunai said:

All I have to say to anyone who makes this statement:

It was once illegal for a "negro" to escape captivity (slavery) in the south.  Would you be one of the ones rounding them up for it?

--------------------
MacMerdin's Simple Pan-Cakes

Edited by MacMerdin (08/27/14 09:03 PM)

InvisibleElVatoFirme
The Thread Killer™

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: MacMerdin]
    #20486260 - 08/27/14 09:30 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MacMerdin said:
Quote:

dokunai said:

All I have to say to anyone who makes this statement:

It was once illegal for a "negro" to escape captivity (slavery) in the south.  Would you be one of the ones rounding them up for it?

Of course he would.
If it's against the law, it's a against the law.
What? Did you think that the laws change with the times?  That's preposterous.

--------------------
Did you know the pen
Is stronger than the knife?
And they can kill you once
But they can't kill you twice
Did you know destruction of the flesh
Is not the ending to Life?
Fear not of the Anti-Christ

- Damian Marley -

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: dokunai]
    #20486489 - 08/27/14 10:41 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

it is only considered a criminal activity because that is what our lovely people in the government decided to categorize it as.

--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: zZZz]
    #20486732 - 08/27/14 11:36 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Not reporting theftand violence?(granted petty theft)  Thieves are the lowest scum of the earth. I have more sympathy for criminals of a sexual nature than i do thieves. Fighting's not nearly as bad as theft in my book,but should still be reported. I also hate how they lumped all these things in one act. This is why people think weed goes hand in hand with every crime.:facepalm:

Man kids in ten years won't ever realize how good the have it if these drug laws keep softening up(as they should) but i still say lock up the thieves/fighters.

--------------------
I'm addicted to coke, weed, booze, ludes and speed.
Not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD, it was built by scientists.

I ain't got no demons that gonna get woke.

In erowid we trust.

Just take your damn pills and don't ask any questions, you'll be fine.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: LuSiD enthusiast] * 1
    #20486858 - 08/28/14 12:08 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

too many sports and politicians for that to happen

Invisiblechopstick
nobody
Male

Loc: Chin's Wok
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #20487993 - 08/28/14 08:30 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Nothing like getting first hand knowledge of the Drug War by getting arrested by a "school cop" at your own school. Did they ever maybe consider that kind of thing is unproductive, humiliates the student, harms their education and future, and fosters in them a distrust for authority at a very young age?

Edited by chopstick (08/28/14 08:30 AM)

InvisibleElVatoFirme
The Thread Killer™

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #20488303 - 08/28/14 09:58 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:
Not reporting theftand violence?(granted petty theft)  Thieves are the lowest scum of the earth. I have more sympathy for criminals of a sexual nature than i do thieves. Fighting's not nearly as bad as theft in my book,but should still be reported. I also hate how they lumped all these things in one act. This is why people think weed goes hand in hand with every crime.:facepalm:

Man kids in ten years won't ever realize how good the have it if these drug laws keep softening up(as they should) but i still say lock up the thieves/fighters.

Man, rape is way worse than theft.
Sexual crimes violate a persons body.
Theft just fucks with their possessions.
Sexual crimes are way worse.

And I don't think they "lumped all these things in one act", the just eased up on those situations to "reduce the influence of campus police, softening the rules so that kids who typically get into trouble don't drop out".
DARE is just mad because cannabis is half of their curriculum.

--------------------
Did you know the pen
Is stronger than the knife?
And they can kill you once
But they can't kill you twice
Did you know destruction of the flesh
Is not the ending to Life?
Fear not of the Anti-Christ

- Damian Marley -

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #20489225 - 08/28/14 02:11 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:

That is a pretty reprehensible statement.  How can you possibly believe petty theft is worse than rape?

I hate thieves as well, but these are kids.  Multiple studies have shown that teenager's brains are not fully capable of understanding the consequences of their actions.  With all the raging hormones and still developing brain they often act on impulse.  For petty theft, fighting that doesn't result in significant or permanent bodily injury, and drug possession, I think they are making the right move to decriminalize this.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #20489565 - 08/28/14 03:24 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:

That is a pretty reprehensible statement.  How can you possibly believe petty theft is worse than rape?

I hate thieves as well, but these are kids.  Multiple studies have shown that teenager's brains are not fully capable of understanding the consequences of their actions.  With all the raging hormones and still developing brain they often act on impulse.  For petty theft, fighting that doesn't result in significant or permanent bodily injury, and drug possession, I think they are making the right move to decriminalize this.

"studies have shown that teenager's brains are not fully capable of understanding the consequences of their actions"

Not true, that are just not as capable as someone in their twenties, it doesn't mean they don't understand "the consequences of their actions".

Children by the ago of 5 understand that there are consequences to their actions, they understand the concept of right or wrong, it's not that complicated.

L.A. Schools no longer have any expectations for the behavior of their students, theft and violence are now acceptable actions, disgraceful.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: qman]
    #20489669 - 08/28/14 03:46 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:

"studies have shown that teenager's brains are not fully capable of understanding the consequences of their actions"

Not true, that are just not as capable as someone in their twenties, it doesn't mean they don't understand "the consequences of their actions".

Children by the ago of 5 understand that there are consequences to their actions, they understand the concept of right or wrong, it's not that complicated.

L.A. Schools no longer have any expectations for the behavior of their students, , disgraceful.

Reading comprehension?  I said "...that teenager's brains are not fully capable of understanding the consequences of their actions."  I would love to hear why you think saying "not as capable" is a more fitting description.

Apparently you failed to grasp the intent with the new policy and reached conclusions which were never expressed by LASD officials.  According to the article, they simply decriminalized these things.  No where did they say that nothing would be done to those committing transgressions, just that they would no longer be formally charged with crimes for it.  It does mention ending zero-tolerance policies, which are for the most part idiotic and should never have been instituted in the first place. 
Theft and violence are not acceptable actions and they never said they were.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisiblemisterogerz

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: DARE Is Not Cool With Weed Decriminalization in L.A. Schools [Re: chopstick]
    #20489740 - 08/28/14 04:07 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

chopstick said:
Nothing like getting first hand knowledge of the Drug War by getting arrested by a "school cop" at your own school. Did they ever maybe consider that kind of thing is unproductive, humiliates the student, harms their education and future, and fosters in them a distrust for authority at a very young age?

you can thank nixon and his old moonshine mafia pals for the current policies, dea, and demonizing hippies. starting with anslinger's campaign against marijuana with reefer madness and all that during prohibition.

--------------------
:potleaf: :tendshroom: :potleaf:
:leaf::peyotespectrum::leaf:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate