Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMandark
Male

Loc: Poland Flag
Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say * 1
    #20465249 - 08/23/14 04:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say
22.08.14 @ 12:40
    By Benjamin Fox

BRUSSELS - A narrow majority of Europe’s youth would ban cannabis, according to new research published by Eurobarometer.

Opinion was divided on whether cannabis should be banned. Forty five percent believed that it should be regulated, while 53 percent felt it should be banned. Meanwhile, more than 90 percent of respondents added that hard drugs such as heroin, cocaine and ecstasy should be illegal.

Eurobarometer interviewed more than 13,000 15-24 year olds across the bloc in June for the survey, which was released on Thursday (21 August). It focused on levels of drug use, perceived risk of certain substances, as well as opinions on regulating drugs and dealing with drug problems in society.

Although a majority called for tougher action against drug dealers and traffickers, they were divided on whether drug users should be punished or receive more medical treatment.

One in three stated that treatment and rehabilitation should be offered to users, while one in four called for tougher sanctions including jail-terms.

Possession and distribution of cannabis and other drugs is illegal across the EU, although most national authorities turn a blind eye toward possession and personal use of small amounts.

More than two thirds of young Europeans surveyed claimed never to have smoked cannabis. Just 31 percent of respondents admitted to having used the drug, while less than one in five said they had used cannabis in the past year.

Youngsters in France, the Czech Republic and Ireland appear to be Europe’s most likely marijuana smokers – more than 40 percent of respondents in all three countries had used cannabis, while one in six in Ireland said they had smoked it in the past month.

For their part, fewer than one in 10 Maltese, Romanian, and Cypriots said they had tried cannabis.

Meanwhile, the use of so-called legal highs – new substances which imitate the effects of illicit drugs - hit 8 percent, up from 5 percent in a similar survey conducted in 2011. Twenty two percent of respondents in Ireland said they had tried new ‘legal highs’.

The EU has little competence over drug policy, with national governments solely responsible for how they classify substances.

However, the European Commission has taken aim at legal highs, tabling plans last September aimed at making it easier to detect and ban the new drugs.

The legislation, which will need the approval of MEPs and governments, seeks to cut the time needed to ban a substance under current procedures from two years to 10 months. Seventy three new substances were identified by EU governments in 2012, up from 24 in 2009.

Three in 10 people surveyed said that they had not received any information about legal highs over the past 12 months.

Data collected by the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction suggests that drug-taking and alcohol abuse starts during school years.

The Centre estimates that one in five 15-16 year olds have used drugs, with lower rates in Europe’s south-eastern and Nordic countries.

Source: http://euobserver.com/news/125321

:/

--------------------
"One might ask why tobacco is legal and marijuana not. A possible answer is suggested by the nature of the crop. Marijuana can be grown almost anywhere, with little difficulty. It might not be easily marketable by major corporations. Tobacco is quite another story." - Noam Chomsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelvnthalife
Stranger

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: Mandark] * 3
    #20465306 - 08/23/14 04:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Sometimes I wonder if things like this are real or if they make up some of the statistics to further their own agenda.

--------------------

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: lvnthalife]
    #20465385 - 08/23/14 04:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What type of people actually waste the time to do those surveys?  I know I hang up on people that I don't want to talk to...

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: fapjack] * 1
    #20465603 - 08/23/14 05:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

they'd rather have drugs like alcohol and speed around so they can decend into another world war

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: Konyap]
    #20465729 - 08/23/14 06:08 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Whats up with OP? OG poster with less than 200 posts? Weird

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

OfflineJeeze
Stranger

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: bloodsheen]
    #20465887 - 08/23/14 06:41 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Fuck these surveys I'm from germany and almost every young person is for the legalization of cannabis. Here is alot of propanda going on in the media about cannabis and drugs in general. They can see the legalization and are trying to stop it but in the end we will win. It's ridiculous how you get criminalized for cannabis possesion and everybody is like "y u do dis drugs lead you to the bad" and they look at you like you killed somebody for smoking some herb. What the fuck? But I guess times are always hard before the major shift occurs.

OfflineStemhead

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: Jeeze] * 1
    #20465961 - 08/23/14 06:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

legalise mary jane, ban the legal highs that send you insane. That's how governments should play the game ... POW! Tooooooo easy  :bigblunt:

:dancingbacon:

--------------------
:dancingbacon:

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: Stemhead] * 1
    #20466091 - 08/23/14 07:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The actual data is interesting and telling, and can be found here.

To what extent do you think using cannabis once or twice would pose a health risk,
48% - Medium or high risk.

To what extent do you think drinking alcohol once or twice would pose a health risk,
23% - Medium or high risk.

To what extent do you think using cannabis regularly would pose a health risk,
88% - Medium or high risk.

To what extent do you think drinking alcohol once or twice would pose a health risk,
92% - Medium or high risk.

Here's an interesting tidbit about our responders,
How easy would it be for you to obtain cannabis in 24 hours,
24% said impossible or very difficult.
29% said very easy.

How easy would it be for you to obtain alcohol in 24 hours,
2% said impossible or very difficult.
81% said very easy.

How easy would it be for you to obtain ecstasy in 24 hours,
48% said impossible or very difficult.
7% said very easy.

How easy would it be for you to obtain legal highs in 24 hours,
44% said impossible or very difficult.
7% said very easy.

Have you used cannabis before?
69% said no.

So they asked a bunch of possible drinkers what they thought about drugs they can't get a hold of even if they are legal and got the party line from them.

Ironically 43% also thought that the best way to prevent drug use is more information about it.

OfflineShroomMane420
Cultivator
Male

Loc: US of A Flag
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: StygianKnight] * 1
    #20466270 - 08/23/14 08:03 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The only people i know who want bud to stay illegal are people who sell it. Legalization would put them out of business. Look at the prohibition of alcohol. People still drank, but they had to do it illegally. And criminal organizations sold it, made money and killed anyone who got in there way. Now the prohibition of weed. People still smoke, but they have to do it illegally. They have to go to someone who sells and get it, and that person might also sell cocaine, heroin, pills etc. And that's how they usually start using other drugs, NOT because weed is a gateway drug. And most of the drugs (including weed) in the US come from the cartel, and they just make money and kill anyone in there way. Legalization would help (if not stop) the war on drugs, make the government money, and keep innocent people out of jail. I think its pretty crazy people are still trying to keep it illegal. Legalize Marijuana! :jah:  and shrooms! :grin:

Offlinefluffy clouds
Male

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: ShroomMane420] * 1
    #20467228 - 08/23/14 10:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Marijuana should be legal, young Europeans say

OfflineAEL1911
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Japan
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: fluffy clouds] * 1
    #20467817 - 08/24/14 12:46 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Mainstream news agencies around the world twist, contort, sensationlize and spew half truths. Everyone should learn to be skeptical. First thing you should do is critical thinking and ask questions.
69% of the respondents never tried marijuana...their responses should be thrown in the toliet or grouped as "inexperienced and possibly naive."
When I was in the lower age range of those surveyed I might have responded the same.

--------------------
Check out some fungi in Japan!

OfflineDeckard_Cain
Mystic
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: AEL1911]
    #20468061 - 08/24/14 01:59 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Common core at work. You forget that the great brainwashing machine never stopped turning.
Note the stats for Question 2. How did the kids learn about drugs?

Through a school prevention programme : %32
Through media campaigns : %33
From the Police : %9
From the net : 37%

That's for all of EU average. In BE the story is worse with kids getting info from media and school both at %42 while only %35 from the net. A third of the kids there did their own research. I wouldn't expect them to vote for legalization or decriminalization considering who does their thinking for the majority in BE.

The kids are being spoon fed info by folks who wanna keep it illegal.

That being said I've seen my share of fake or faulty stats - how far do I trust that survey ?

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: Deckard_Cain] * 1
    #20468577 - 08/24/14 05:52 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think teens want to admit to smoking weed on a survey. I know I don't like doing this surveys.

Edited by XTCentral (08/24/14 05:53 AM)

Offlinestanski
Stranger
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: XTCentral]
    #20468700 - 08/24/14 07:06 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I will say that European countries are very polarized in their support of marijuana. In countries like portugal, spain, france, czech republic and many others there seems to be very strong support for legal marijuana and it is very common to find smokers.

In nordic countries like denmark, norway, sweden, the support is just not there at all. My observation of swedish people has led me to believe that people actually think (and this is somewhat true for them really) the government is generally doing a good job and is looking out for their best interests. When there is very little poverty and a high trust of their government and the government/schools have programs that equate all drug use as the same thing, people will just go with what they are told.

This is obviously different from the preceding countries i mentioned that support marijuana, where there is very little trust for their government and many people just assume the whole world is corrupt etc.

It is really perturbing just how backwards swedes in particular about weed though, even mentioning the word too loud will get people scared/looks of fear that are similar to what happens when you mention doing heroin or meth in the u.s. Its so absurd since it is such a liberal country and they drink like fucking fish, I really really hope it changes in the future but it seems like a long dark road and that things really won't change for a long while. Luckily its lib cap season!

Invisiblemisterogerz

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: stanski]
    #20468710 - 08/24/14 07:16 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

only drug dealers and alcohol/tobacco/pharmaceutical companies and ignorant people want to keep marijuana illegal, also industries that compete with hemp products

OfflineMandark
Male

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: stanski]
    #20469075 - 08/24/14 09:37 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

stanski said:
I will say that European countries are very polarized in their support of marijuana. In countries like portugal, spain, france, czech republic and many others there seems to be very strong support for legal marijuana and it is very common to find smokers.

In nordic countries like denmark, norway, sweden, the support is just not there at all. My observation of swedish people has led me to believe that people actually think (and this is somewhat true for them really) the government is generally doing a good job and is looking out for their best interests. When there is very little poverty and a high trust of their government and the government/schools have programs that equate all drug use as the same thing, people will just go with what they are told.

This is obviously different from the preceding countries i mentioned that support marijuana, where there is very little trust for their government and many people just assume the whole world is corrupt etc.

It is really perturbing just how backwards swedes in particular about weed though, even mentioning the word too loud will get people scared/looks of fear that are similar to what happens when you mention doing heroin or meth in the u.s. Its so absurd since it is such a liberal country and they drink like fucking fish, I really really hope it changes in the future but it seems like a long dark road and that things really won't change for a long while. Luckily its lib cap season!

While this holds true for certain countries, notably Sweden, it's not universal. I looked through the data from StygianKnight's link and the highest support for cannabis prohibition is in Romania, where the state is certainly very weak and corrupt. I think outside the Nordic countries the reasons behind attitudes towards drugs can't be explained that easily. And even in Scandinavia Denmark seems to have a different, more progressive attitude than Sweden.

--------------------
"One might ask why tobacco is legal and marijuana not. A possible answer is suggested by the nature of the crop. Marijuana can be grown almost anywhere, with little difficulty. It might not be easily marketable by major corporations. Tobacco is quite another story." - Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mandark (08/24/14 09:40 AM)

Offlinewortiesbo
Male

Loc: new vegas
    #20469492 - 08/24/14 11:20 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bloodsheen said:

some of us prefer to lurk :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineMandark
Male

#20469566 - 08/24/14 11:33 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bloodsheen said:

I'm not very talkative :P What does OG mean?

--------------------

OfflineJacksonMetaller
Stranger

Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: ShroomMane420]
    #20469588 - 08/24/14 11:37 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomMane420 said:
And that's how they usually start using other drugs, NOT because weed is a gateway drug.

To be fair, i think the gateway affect is more prevalent than dealers promoting other drugs. Most of my pot dealers never sold anything else. That said i do think the gateway theory is misunderstood. Most people take it as some sort of "conveyer belt" where once you're on you're on for the ride. It's more like "hey i opened this gate... pretty cool... not sure if i want to go through another gate or not, but maybe". And the rest just depends on personality and intention for the use of drugs. For me weed was definitely a "gateway" but i don't blame it for my use of harder drugs because obviously some people only smoke weed. I was just naturally curious and adventurous of brain states while also looking for something in particular which started with weed and was left unfulfilled.

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Marijuana should stay illegal, young Europeans say [Re: JacksonMetaller] * 1
    #20469909 - 08/24/14 12:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well that's it guys.

Let's ban weed, because the great European Youth has spoken :facepalm:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale