Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

Help me finish with this pc build "Updated"
    #20361386 - 08/01/14 05:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Here's what I have in mind so far. I don't know if I'm missing stuff like thermal compound or I won't need it. I added a CPU fan but the CPU ships with one already. I've heard some that are shipped with CPUs are really bad. I don't really plan on overclocking unless my games won't run smoothly. I'm also not sure about the case or power supply. Power supply looks good but I don't know how many plugs I'm going to need. 

Do I say fuck it and get windows 8.1 or just go with 7?

Without windows operating system and things I may of missed the price comes out to be $1,380.

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148910

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card 02G-P4-2776-KR
Thinking of getting the one with 4gb memory for future use.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130946

Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

MSI Z97 MPOWER LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130766

Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54690
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116989

Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators (Value 4-Pack)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248

--------------------
It's all for the :lol:s

Edited by Eggtimer (08/19/14 08:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Help me finish with this pc build [Re: Eggtimer]
    #20361525 - 08/01/14 06:08 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You may miss some rubies in the rough but windows 8 makes your nVidia card get a couple dozen more frames for some reason, i think your card could even do 1140p

OfflineKonyap

Re: Help me finish with this pc build [Re: Konyap]
    #20361535 - 08/01/14 06:10 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

the power supply is fine by my intuition the mobo connectoer is 20/24 and there are three pins that are 8/6 for a GPU

mine is only going to be 550-600watts though

your nvida and intel should keep the power usage low, as long as it's bronze rated semi modular and 12v rail

Edited by Konyap (08/01/14 06:16 PM)

OfflineKonyap

#20361556 - 08/01/14 06:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

some one else will have to talk about the mobo

the audio must be nice and the pci feature in the bottem says it's meant for 3.0 or something? I know it will work but
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sKkVmG
the rest of the stuff for my build is right here
the mobo is only 89.99, the cpu,ssd and case were like 350...
as long as the power supply is good and modular I'm not worrying about the graphics yet, ill use the chip as long as I can honestly, it just want the thing to turn on.

i'd get a audio card if it was worth it or maybe someone could say something

Edited by Konyap (08/01/14 06:20 PM)

OfflineKonyap

#20361584 - 08/01/14 06:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

make sure you have a static wristband with a cable that grounds to something

that and the power supply are the biggest reasons people fuck up their build

InvisibleLynnch
Strangerer
 User Gallery

#20361593 - 08/01/14 06:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I use windows 8, once you get used to a few new things its fine as hell. Stable.

CPU will come with thermal compound.

I doubt you'll notice the difference between a stock fan and the other. I'd spend a couple more bucks on the power supply. Check if your gpu needs an additional plug, but if its all gear from the same generation you're probably okay.

Double check the mobo sockets just to be safe, but looks sexy to me.

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

Re: Help me finish with this pc build [Re: Lynnch]
    #20361611 - 08/01/14 06:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
some one else will have to talk about the mobo

the audio must be nice and the pci feature in the bottem says it's meant for 3.0 or something? I know it will work but
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sKkVmG
the rest of the stuff for my build is right here
the mobo is only 89.99, the cpu,ssd and case were like 350...

i'd get a audio card if it was worth it or maybe someone could say something

Quote:

Lynnch said:
I use windows 8, once you get used to a few new things its fine as hell. Stable.

CPU will come with thermal compound.

I doubt you'll notice the difference between a stock fan and the other. I'd spend a couple more bucks on the power supply. Check if your gpu needs an additional plug, but if its all gear from the same generation you're probably okay.

Double check the mobo sockets just to be safe, but looks sexy to me.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to get a MB with good sound because I play so much CS. Being able to tell where footsteps are coming from is so important in that game. I also want a good card and CPU for things like Dayz, BF4, and Witcher 3 next year hopefully.

I suppose I could put 8.1 on my SSD and 7 on the HD. I have a lot of games I'm not sure would work with 8.1. Switching over is scary :uhoh:
I heard something about windows 8.1 using a better version of directX so you get more FPS.

OfflineKonyap

#20361638 - 08/01/14 06:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I'll probably just play minecraft on my shit :lol:

OfflineKonyap

#20363252 - 08/02/14 01:50 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-171-093 garbage, nice, but annoying ffan

I just bought this one for 90bucks

it's recommended for the gtx 770 at 650watts

it doesn't have any extra PCI connectors though

I'm wondering if I need to power the ordinary PCI slots..

Edited by Konyap (08/16/14 03:17 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #20371296 - 08/03/14 10:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-171-093

Do you mean the PCI-E slots?
Those only need additional power if you are running MULTIPLE high end video cards, to provide more stable power through the PCI-E lanes. If you are running a single GPU, it's not necessary at all. And that was mainly only a concern with the SUPER power hungry cards like 480s and 580s. The 700 series are way more power efficient.

OP - I wouldn't waste your time with an audio card. Just get a motherboard with a decent onboard audio chip and you are set.
also the 770 has its own audio controller, so with an audio card, you would effectively have THREE audio controllers - overkill.
IMO the only reason an external audio card is needed is if you are using your PC as a 'studio' to record music / guitar etc with. Then I could see the need. Or other very specialized needs. For gaming, totally not necessary. The realtek audio on that MSI mobo is perfectly fine.

Get a better PSU. Rosewill is crap. PSU is one area you do NOT want to go cheap.
Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, Antec, CoolerMaster.. can't really go wrong with any of those. Just pick Gold or Platinum certified.

Also keep in mind if you ever want to overclock - you need a K processor. That i5-4690 you picked you CANNOT overclock, even if you wanted to. You would need a 4690K.
If you absolutely DO NOT plan on overclocking at all, then you could go cheaper on the motherboard. That motherboard looks like a pretty good one for overclocking and I have heard/seen good things about MSI's premium boards.

Everything else looks pretty solid.
You are correct the stock Intel coolers pretty much suck ass. Those Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO coolers are pretty decent, but I must say it's kind of a pain in the ass to install, especially for a noobie. But if you take your time and follow the instructions it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If you were planning to overclock, I would recommend stepping up the CPU cooler to a Corsair H80i or something along those lines. But the Cooler Master air cooler is perfectly fine for mild overclocking.

What Windows version is personal preference really. I greatly prefer Windows 7. Windows 8.1 just pisses me the fuck off. For power users it's more of a pain in the ass to get things done especially when you aren't used to the interface.

--------------------

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

Re: Help me finish with this pc build [Re: Shroomism]
    #20372060 - 08/04/14 07:39 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

Illyabo said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-171-093

Do you mean the PCI-E slots?
Those only need additional power if you are running MULTIPLE high end video cards, to provide more stable power through the PCI-E lanes. If you are running a single GPU, it's not necessary at all. And that was mainly only a concern with the SUPER power hungry cards like 480s and 580s. The 700 series are way more power efficient.

OP - I wouldn't waste your time with an audio card. Just get a motherboard with a decent onboard audio chip and you are set.
also the 770 has its own audio controller, so with an audio card, you would effectively have THREE audio controllers - overkill.
IMO the only reason an external audio card is needed is if you are using your PC as a 'studio' to record music / guitar etc with. Then I could see the need. Or other very specialized needs. For gaming, totally not necessary. The realtek audio on that MSI mobo is perfectly fine.

Get a better PSU. Rosewill is crap. PSU is one area you do NOT want to go cheap.
Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, Antec, CoolerMaster.. can't really go wrong with any of those. Just pick Gold or Platinum certified.

Also keep in mind if you ever want to overclock - you need a K processor. That i5-4690 you picked you CANNOT overclock, even if you wanted to. You would need a 4690K.
If you absolutely DO NOT plan on overclocking at all, then you could go cheaper on the motherboard. That motherboard looks like a pretty good one for overclocking and I have heard/seen good things about MSI's premium boards.

Everything else looks pretty solid.
You are correct the stock Intel coolers pretty much suck ass. Those Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO coolers are pretty decent, but I must say it's kind of a pain in the ass to install, especially for a noobie. But if you take your time and follow the instructions it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If you were planning to overclock, I would recommend stepping up the CPU cooler to a Corsair H80i or something along those lines. But the Cooler Master air cooler is perfectly fine for mild overclocking.

What Windows version is personal preference really. I greatly prefer Windows 7. Windows 8.1 just pisses me the fuck off. For power users it's more of a pain in the ass to get things done especially when you aren't used to the interface.

The reason I made this thread is because I put a graphics card and PSU into my current PC and had a lot of trouble. I had to buy a hacksaw to saw off part of the metal bracket on the card so it would fit in the case :lol:. I bought a better PSU last time but I think it was on sale.
I had to take the heat sink/fan off my current pc CPU to get the new PSU and card in. It was a major pain in the ass and I had overheating for a while because I didn't put it back on right.

Thanks for the info about the CPU I may have to think about it. Having the option to overclock seems worth it for a extra 50 or a 100 bucks.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20373055 - 08/04/14 01:31 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You probably won't NEED to overclock with that CPU, it will perform plenty fine on it's own, but if you ever do want to tinker with it, and push out max performance from your CPU, yeah you would need a K processor (which means it's unlocked for overclocking). For me it's always worth the extra because I love to overclock. And you DEFINITELY need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you plan on overclocking. The stock Intel coolers are just barely good enough for running at stock, even still they run too warm for my liking. If you want to overclock you need better cooling than what they can provide.

You cut the metal bracket off your GPU to make it fit? :lol: Let me guess.. you were trying to upgrade a Dell or something?

--------------------

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#20375415 - 08/04/14 10:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
You probably won't NEED to overclock with that CPU, it will perform plenty fine on it's own, but if you ever do want to tinker with it, and push out max performance from your CPU, yeah you would need a K processor (which means it's unlocked for overclocking). For me it's always worth the extra because I love to overclock. And you DEFINITELY need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you plan on overclocking. The stock Intel coolers are just barely good enough for running at stock, even still they run too warm for my liking. If you want to overclock you need better cooling than what they can provide.

You cut the metal bracket off your GPU to make it fit? :lol: Let me guess.. you were trying to upgrade a Dell or something?

Gateway haha. It actually has worked fine surprisingly.

Edited by Eggtimer (08/04/14 10:08 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20375530 - 08/04/14 10:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well yeah.. the metal bracket doesn't serve any function except to hold the card in place correctly.
At least you didn't do what one guy did... once a guy called support and said his card wasn't working. After troubleshooting for about 20 minutes, he said "would it have effected anything if I trimmed the card down some?"

I'm like... uhhh what do you mean "trimmed" the card down??

He's like well it didn't fit in my Dell, it was too long. So I put it on my table saw and trimmed about 3 inches off the end of it so it would fit.
He literally cut through the entire PCB of the card and lopped 3 inches off it. I had him send me pics. Never laughed harder.
Sorry sir you just voided your warranty.

A bracket can be replaced.. cutting the card in half.. not so much.

--------------------

InvisibleNitrous Monkey
selftitled
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #20384333 - 08/06/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I can't wait till I have extra cash to build me my first gaming PC! I'm wanting to start gaming on PC really bad.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help me finish with this pc build [Re: Nitrous Monkey]
    #20386396 - 08/07/14 02:32 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

It's the best :cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#20428042 - 08/16/14 03:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

that power supply i reccomended is bad no wonder it was on sale

has all the parts everything i need and it definitely won't short out the computer or anything cuz its' gold, but the fan makes this whirring noise so you constantly know the computer is on, it litterally sounds like a tiny fan, all of my case fans are ambient.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20431132 - 08/17/14 02:28 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Corsair's lower end PSUs have definitely been going downhill the past few years from what I've seen. I generally would only go with the AX, CX or HX series. But if it's just the fan noise that's not that big of a deal.. I'm assuming it doesn't have any type of fan controller ?

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #20431259 - 08/17/14 03:42 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

i'd probably take the psu out and see if you can replicate the sound outside of the case, use a paperclip to start it up like in this image....

bunch of shit to troubleshoot before blaming the psu, speedstepping settings on bios can make a whining sound from psu for example, depends on if you're accurately describing sound.... but what i've suggested is a good first step.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineKonyap

Re: Help me finish with this pc build [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #20434107 - 08/17/14 07:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

it's the coolerMaster 650m gold, paid like 100$

it's not really a big deal with the headphones on but it just sucks

I think i'd only have to unplug like two things if I wanted to replace it

I don't know honestly what I could do in the BIOS
slow down the fan?

i've never used bios, i pressed del, put in the windows CD and was good to go basically, just the mobo CD and some updates

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20434179 - 08/17/14 07:20 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

no, but sometimes turning off EIST or C states eliminates certain buzzing noises

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineKonyap

#20434197 - 08/17/14 07:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

well the worst thing about that is my computer has an SSD in it

so the bios screen is there probably for no more the a second if it shows up at all

OfflineKonyap

#20435588 - 08/18/14 02:10 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
no, but sometimes turning off EIST or C states eliminates certain buzzing noises

ugh i gotta send it back i hear it with the headphones even

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20435634 - 08/18/14 02:33 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

test it outside of the case before you do

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#20435637 - 08/18/14 02:34 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
test it outside of the case before you do

it sounds like a vibrator

OfflineKonyap

#20438829 - 08/18/14 06:37 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

oh man haha

took out the psu and ran
wasnt that

thought it was the case fan like i did the first time
unplugged that

it was the cpu fan
the fan power wires were supposed to be unwarpped but the way they had it
looked like it was done with

saved me a whole lot of hassle

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20439426 - 08/18/14 08:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#20445009 - 08/19/14 08:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

OK So I finally gathered the cash and credit to buy everything. I spent at least 10 hours researching products and reading about them. Taking some advice and my own need to feel like it'll last me a long time into the future I made some upgrades.
The total came out to about $1,850. I did buy some extra stuff though like a bunch of cables and OS that I could probably just pirate. I'll post the updated item list.

CM Storm Trooper - Gaming Full Tower Computer Case with Handle and External 2.5" Drive Dock with Side Panel Window
This case cost about 10 bucks less and also has a ssd drive dock port thingy. Weighs 30 pounds durable as fuck. Also has a handle so you're not trying to carry all awkward like.

MSI Z97 MPOWER LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Same MOBO but has deal where it comes with $30 steel series mouse for free. This is the mouse you get MSI Steelseries Optical Mouse My current one is better but it's always nice to have back-ups

EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card
Decided to spend quite a bit more on the GPU this was 499. I like the fact that it has 3gb and it's a step above 770. It comes with free Borderlands pre-sequel. Never played any of them but people seem to like it.

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K
This i7 beast starts out at 4ghz and has a lot of OC potential. After spending 500 on a GPU 339 didn't seem that bad for a CPU. My current CPU is i3 2.9ghz dual core which is pretty crap nowadays.

Noctua NH-U14S 140x150x25 ( NF-A15 PWM) SSO2-Bearing ( Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing ) CPU Cooler
Wanted to get a good fan for the CPU. Cost 69 but there was 8 bucks off with code that I think I forgot to enter. :sad:

Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail kit
This seemed like an ok hhd. It seems like no matter what you're buying there's also some people who hate it and get one that is DOA or something. After reading reviews I always have a harder time buying stuff.
This also had a promo code where I saved like 8 bucks. I remembered this one.

Coboc 6 ft. HDMI® A Male to A Male Cable (Black) - OEM
Cheap HDMI cables bought 2 for 8 but saved 2 bucks because they also had promo code.

Logitech Desktop MK120 Mouse and keyboard Combo
Wanted a keyboard for my old PC since I'll be using my current gaming one with my new pc. It came with a mouse that I didn't really want but it was 14 bucks for both :shrug:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11D-8GXM
Faster ram than what I was going to buy cost like 9 bucks more but there was another code so got it for about the same price.

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
I looked at some reviews and according to them I should be able to run my i7 and 780 on this PSU. It's gold certified, modular, and was on sale.
I got 20 bucks off with a promo code so it cost $109 there's also a 20 dollar rebate I can try to get :awesomenod:.

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 1x nm Samsung Toggle DDR 2.0 3-Bit MLC NAND Flash Memory (400Mbps) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
I got another 20 dollars off this with code but it looks like it's over now.

SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE - OEM
Almost forgot to add a disk drive. Maybe not completely necessary it only cost 20 bucks.

BYTECC C6EB-75K 75 ft. Cat 6 Black Color Enhanced 550MHz Patch Cables
Need 50-75 feet of cable to easily plug it in to my current router. I want my net to be wired so there's no delay while gaming. Only costs 15 bucks.

BELKIN F8E089-BLK Mouse Pad
Mouse pad that costs 3 bucks. I saw some for 20+ and lol'd

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) - Download
Went with 8 because it's supposed to take better advantage of directx and might be better for future games. I kept worrying I won't be able to play old games but I really don't play that many old games often. Download version can be burned on iso disk and was about 6 bucks cheaper but still 114 dollars :rolleyes:

I'll update when it gets here. Should be about 3 days but I'll be working I might not even bother to put it together till I get some more days off.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#20445651 - 08/19/14 10:39 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You went nuts on the SSD, Case and mobo hahah

I spent like 700 total because I already had the screen and I don't need a GPU right now

all you gotta remember is...

to just plug the usb 3.0 from the case into the mobo ONLY

leave the mobo on the foam it comes with until you put it in

put the mobo screws in, then the mobo on top, then screw it in with the other screws

there will also be a power/reset cable from the case you plug into the mobo, but you have to read the manual because each mobo has those parts set up differently and they are specific about where they are place

when you put the memory in, the clamps should make a snapping lock sound, it should feel like the memory is going to pop out without

then when you power on for the first time you're going to put in the windows CD first, install then in explorer the driver CD for the mobo

those were really the only things I needed help with

I did the whole thing while standing on a  cardboard box and touching some metal once in awhile

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20445803 - 08/19/14 11:03 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

no he didn't, those 840 evo ssds are cheap and fuckin awesome (i actually got mine for $130 each, i have several of them now.... can't recommend em enough

promo code right now on slickdeals for $119

http://slickdeals.net/f/7144926-amazon-or-newegg-250gb-samsung-840-evo-2-5-sata-solid-state-drive-ssd-119-0-99-shipping?v=1

i'd have bought a corsair case and an asus motherboard w/ that cash, but either way it's quite nice.

--------------------

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#20445880 - 08/19/14 11:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
You went nuts on the SSD, Case and mobo hahah

I spent like 700 total because I already had the screen and I don't need a GPU right now

all you gotta remember is...

to just plug the usb 3.0 from the case into the mobo ONLY

leave the mobo on the foam it comes with until you put it in

put the mobo screws in, then the mobo on top, then screw it in with the other screws

there will also be a power/reset cable from the case you plug into the mobo, but you have to read the manual because each mobo has those parts set up differently and they are specific about where they are place

when you put the memory in, the clamps should make a snapping lock sound, it should feel like the memory is going to pop out without

then when you power on for the first time you're going to put in the windows CD first, install then in explorer the driver CD for the mobo

those were really the only things I needed help with

I did the whole thing while standing on a  cardboard box and touching some metal once in awhile

The biggest thing I'm wondering about is if I can transfer my games/music to the SSD from my old PC then put the ones I don't want on the SSD on the HDD. And do I install the OS before or after I do this if I can do this lol.

OfflineKonyap

#20446108 - 08/19/14 11:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

boot up the system without the hardrive
but just the SSD the first time, like don't even plug the HDD in or anything before you install the OS cd

I just feel like if I use a flash stick it'd bring something I don't want over from the old computer... even though the old ones fine, just to be safe I think I'll buy a new flash and put everything I need in the cloud or something

that's a good GPU though that's  exactly what I want

I feel like you went overkill with the stock fan, I just turned off call of duty mw2 and the cpu isn't even breaking 95degrees F lol

OfflineKonyap

#20446707 - 08/20/14 02:45 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I guess I'll get another SSD when the time comes
it seems all the hard drives get crappy review for like 16% of them

all the mechanics and stuff really isn't worth it when it's supposed to work so fast

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20447102 - 08/20/14 07:15 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
I feel like you went overkill with the stock fan, I just turned off call of duty mw2 and the cpu isn't even breaking 95degrees F lol

He probably plans on overclcocking, stock fan can suck mah balls. And we read computer temps in celsius!!111
Only things I would have done different is spend 20 more and get a Corsair H80i cooler instead, probably a Corsair case. WD HDD

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20447179 - 08/20/14 07:50 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

yah, i have the corsair h80i in one of my rigs, is pretty nice....  but noctuas are pretty respectable air coolers..... hate that color scheme :lol:

This is probably the best article I've ever read on hard drive failure rates by an electronic backup company.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Hitatchi Desktars are the most reliable, but their price might not be worth it (most people aren't running their drives intensively like a backup company, so even a Seagate will likely have a long life in an average user's desktop.)  I'm a big fan of WD Black drives, good performance and 5yr warranty.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#20449243 - 08/20/14 04:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know if that's true, based on the new egg stuff, by the time it shows up 16% of them are defective, both seagate and wd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W19MO?&tag=kotakuamzn-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|kotaku.com[type|link[postId|1624457284[asin|B00E3W19MO[authorId|5856732741879800112

here's a 500gb samsugn evo for 199.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W1726/?&&tag=kotakuamzn-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|kotaku.com[type|link[postId|1624457284[asin|B00E3W1726[authorId|5856732741879800112

and a 250gb for 120

Edited by Konyap (08/20/14 05:07 PM)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20450936 - 08/20/14 09:13 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Where'd you come up with that number? 

These statistics are based on an electronic backup company that has chewed through 35,000 drives....

Apparently the energy efficient "green" drives that aggressively spin down and up take the most wear, like you probably wouldn't want to use them on a torrent server that sees lots of intermittent activity, it depends on what kind of environment you're using them in.

--------------------

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#20485476 - 08/27/14 06:42 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Well I got everything and finished it. Runs great. I couldn't get the fan I bought installed in though. I couldn't get the mounting bracket flush with the back of the mobo because of screws they used to hold it down or something.

I kinda just looked at the specs on the case and mainly want it because preinstalled fans. I had no idea they were so fancy. This one even has a stash box at the bottom.

I know the wiring is a bit of a mess. I did it after work which was a really bad idea. I was so tired half way through I had shit all over and kept misplacing stuff and got overwhelmed. I put everything away and thought I'd get some sleep but was back at it 30mins later :rolleyes:

I put my OS and all the applications/games I use often on ssd and it's working great. Fast boot and no waiting.
Anyways I'm able to run everything on ultra 1080p and get 60fps+ which is what I wanted. Dayz still runs shitty but a lot better than on my old pc. I played some BF4 and it looked really good. I recorded some vid and was still able to maintain highest settings and framerate using shadowplay. I might try to upload some to youtube but my net is slow as hell when it comes to that. Thanks for all the help.
If anyone wants to play I'm counter strike/dayz/bf4/killing floor/know of other good games pm me.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20485750 - 08/27/14 07:44 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Holy shitballs.. that wire management makes my head hurt.

Bro.. your case has holes and a big space behind the motherboard tray for a reason. You should be feeding all the wires through there and hiding them behind the motherboard tray, then coming out where they need to.. like this:

--------------------

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#20486082 - 08/27/14 08:50 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Holy shitballs.. that wire management makes my head hurt.

Bro.. your case has holes and a big space behind the motherboard tray for a reason. You should be feeding all the wires through there and hiding them behind the motherboard tray, then coming out where they need to.. like this:

Part of the reason I didn't bother was because most of the wires hooked up to the case were sorta all over. and there were a lot.  I'm also just really bad at organizing.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20486143 - 08/27/14 09:04 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Let's get them done one at a time, start with the 8 pin connector going over your RAM (it's a PSU connector that is powering your CPU).... Don't feed it through the grommet to the right of your ram, but rather look just above your cpu off to the left, there is gonna be a small hole you can feed the cable through, just above your back fan...

edit: here, I made ya an example:

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (08/27/14 09:19 PM)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20486155 - 08/27/14 09:06 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Also that stock fan gotta go dude, you bought an unlocked processor for a reason...... I'm not sure what the problem with your noctua and the backplate is, can you show me pictures of the backplate against your motherboard and what screw is in the way?

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#20486360 - 08/27/14 09:59 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I did the same thing with the wire's I though it was just as conventional to leave them hanging there with some twist ties

that gtx 780 is nice

that sucks about DayZ

i was hyped about Arma3 like almost 2 years ago and now I don't care that much anymore

you should pick up the next Borderlands that comes out oct 14th
that's why you got the nvidia right?

I hear metro redux is good too

Edited by Konyap (08/27/14 10:05 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20486497 - 08/27/14 10:44 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Eggtimer said:
Part of the reason I didn't bother was because most of the wires hooked up to the case were sorta all over. and there were a lot.  I'm also just really bad at organizing.

All the wires from the case (front panel connectors) and fans I'm assuming.. could all be going through the bottom hole. Fan connectors can just come out wherever you are plugging in a fan at.

And yeah get that 8 pin connector through the hole in the very top left. There should be a hole there that is specifically for feeding that 8pin cable.

And yeah if you plan on overclocking your CPU at ALL.. that stock fan has to go. What was the problem with the noctua that you couldn't install it?

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20487456 - 08/28/14 04:37 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Secondly, looking at his rig it looks like there's a 6 pin going up over the graphics card.... I'm pretty sure that he doesn't need to use it at all unless he's running multiple graphics cards? It looks like it's supplying cleaner power to the PCI-E for like a 3 way SLI setup or something, and that back fan cable should never go over the video card either, you could run it through the back with the 8 pin in that hole in the top left is an ok way to hide it, if you're not using onboard chassis fan headers.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20487578 - 08/28/14 05:54 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I didn't even notice that... that 6-pin doesn't even need to be there. Only for multi-SLI setups with super power hungry GPUs

--------------------

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#20491038 - 08/28/14 09:54 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Let's get them done one at a time, start with the 8 pin connector going over your RAM (it's a PSU connector that is powering your CPU).... Don't feed it through the grommet to the right of your ram, but rather look just above your cpu off to the left, there is gonna be a small hole you can feed the cable through, just above your back fan...

edit: here, I made ya an example:

Thanks.

Quote:

Illyabo said:
I did the same thing with the wire's I though it was just as conventional to leave them hanging there with some twist ties

that gtx 780 is nice

that sucks about DayZ

i was hyped about Arma3 like almost 2 years ago and now I don't care that much anymore

you should pick up the next Borderlands that comes out oct 14th
that's why you got the nvidia right?

I hear metro redux is good too

I just wanted something I wouldn't have to upgrade for a while. The new borderlands came free with the card but I haven't played any of them.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Yeah I didn't even notice that... that 6-pin doesn't even need to be there. Only for multi-SLI setups with super power hungry GPUs

Thanks again.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom