Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepahiki
Women's Intuition
Female

Loc: Michigan
First grow advice?
    #20349531 - 07/30/14 12:23 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Hello, and first of all, please excuse my inexperience and ignorance, I'm sure I have an abundance of it. I have read countless threads on many different topics. A lot of information I have absorbed is conflicting, and a lot has also suggested my theory will work. I apologize in advance if there are threads that answer my questions and concerns. With all this being said, I will begin to explain what I think I'm going to do for my first grow.

I am planning to use pint size jars with coco coir and rye berries to colonize my koh samui cubes , then use a small plastic SGFC with perlite once my jars are colonized and ready to birth.

My questions are;
1.) Should I fill the jars with the coir and rye berries and sterlize in a PC? Collectively, I have read it is best to sterilize grains and pasturize coir. But I am not quite sure which is better when using coir and berries. (Maybe I am not utilizing the search function properly?)
2.)I was also thinking of throwing some coffee grounds in there for the nitrogen, but haven't had much luck with finding a majority of success or failures from using coffee while browsing through threads.
3.) When using this mixture, should a casing be used? If so, I was thinking a mix of moisture control potting soil and calci-sand?

I think I have a good grasp on how I'll be doing everything, from the first step to the last. When I get started with this project I'll be sure to take pictures and notes on every step for future reference, so if there is a next time I can see what went right or wrong and figure out what techniques work best for me as I go along. The supplies I have listed are the easiest accessible and reasonably priced, but I am open to use others if need be.

I'd also like to thank anyone in advance for your replies, comments, and criticisms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMdahmer
Aloysius devadander abercrombie
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow advice? [Re: pahiki]
    #20349555 - 07/30/14 12:33 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

You shouldn't mix the coir and rye in your jar..it could work but it's not the best way.

You want to sterilize your grains in qt jars or whatever size, inoculate the grains and when they are done colonizing you spawn (mix) the colonized grains with a pasteurized bulk sub (coir, horse poo, straw etc.)

Search for bulk teks like monotubs or trays. Check out frankhorrigan stuff, I read his hole list of things when I first got on here and it explained and helped a lot

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #20349558 - 07/30/14 12:35 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well I am still newish to this as well but here we go-
1-no. Pc rye in jars with appropriate lids and use those to noc up. They will colonize, THEN you will spawn to your coir which is separately pasturized.
2-I haven't ever (in my limited experience) used coffee grounds. Some people use it, some dont. I say learn how to grow with as few variables involved as possible, then start using things like gypsum and coffee as you get more comfortable...
3-case it or dont. Again, less variables the better to begin with... cubes dont NEED a casing

You can never do enough reading, and keep asking questions.

Good luck!

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: First grow advice? [Re: Mdahmer]
    #20349564 - 07/30/14 12:38 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mdahmer said:
You shouldn't mix the coir and rye in your jar..it could work but it's not the best way.

You want to sterilize your grains in qt jars or whatever size, inoculate the grains and when they are done colonizing you spawn (mix) the colonized grains with a pasteurized bulk sub (coir, horse poo, straw etc.)

Search for bulk teks like monotubs or trays. Check out frankhorrigan stuff, I read his hole list of things when I first got on here and it explained and helped a lot

++1 to frankhorrigan 's stuff!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19792837

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

OfflineIlyana
Stranger

Re: First grow advice? [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #20350344 - 07/30/14 09:15 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Why not follow a trusted PF Tek to learn how it all works, THEN try out a theoretical mix?

--------------------
read, read, and read some more!

Mushrooms & Stone Mandala

OfflineMazz

Re: First grow advice? [Re: Ilyana]
    #20350470 - 07/30/14 10:04 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Folks usually use brown rice flour to make cakes for a SGFC with perlite.  Rye grains are usually spawned to a monotub with coir and verm.  If you're confused on where to start this simple write-up can help point you in the right direction.
The Basics

--------------------
Mazz's Journal

Offlinepahiki
Women's Intuition
Female

Loc: Michigan
Re: First grow advice? [Re: Ilyana]
    #20350630 - 07/30/14 11:12 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks everybody for your replies! I know I'm such a noob for trying to improvise teks that are already trusted to work, but like I said, I'm trying to work with what I got first. I'm considering this my first grow because I did try once before a few years ago with one of those grow kits. I had no idea what I was doing and was trying to follow a crappy tek that the kit came with. I ended up wasting a lot of money, and never got anything edible. I still have some of the supplies needed from the kit, so I figured I'd try to use those first.

With the information I've gathered from you all so far, I think I'll try that monotub tek that is linked above as close to a t as I can. I'll probably need to scale it down a bit because I'm sure I don't have a big enough tub on hand and don't want to be wasteful if I screw up. Later on, when I've got some more money I can spend to do everything with proper equipment, I'll try the SGFC with brf cakes.

Mostly, I was confused about what ingredients to use with which tek, and wasn't sure why I was getting conflicting info, and that was my problem. Monotubs use different ingredients than SGFC! The whole process of each has their differences that I couldn't wrap my head around, making them muddle together. I can't thank you all enough for helping me figure this out even though I'm sure its all so simple.

Now since I have a better understanding of how to do each, will it be okay that I try the monotub on a smaller scale? Or should I just man up spend some dough to do it to a t?

OfflineMdahmer
Aloysius devadander abercrombie
Male User Gallery

#20350709 - 07/30/14 11:39 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yes a monotub is a substrate (what the mycelium eats) and FC (fruiting chamber) all in one. You fill the tub with your grain spawn and bulk sub and it colonizes in the tub then when you introduce it to fruiting conditions, fresh air and direct lighting, the water in your bulk sub humidifies the tub on it's own.

When you do Brf cakes or smaller bulk trays you would use a SGFC which uses perlite for humidification.

THe "standard"  monotub is a 66qt with 5-6qts grain spawn and a brick of coir with 2qt verm. (Or about ten quarts of whatever bulk sub you use)

You can do smaller tubs..mini monos with 2-3qt grain spawn with 5qt bulk sub in a 27qt tub.

It's not an exact science so just keep reading and you'll figure out what it's all about. My suggestion is if you start with grains and bulk you really don't need to go backwards to doing cakes...they can be fun but once you start growing bulk the cakes just seem to be too much work for the yield

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag