Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineCaddilac
(*'
Male

Loc: WY. Flag
Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: morrowasted]
    #20286013 - 07/17/14 11:39 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

damaged. Unlike cocaine and alcohol abusers, marijuana abusers appear to produce the same amount of dopamine with methylphenidate as people who aren’t users, Science

Replace appear with appeal. But put the first and last word together
And only that is fact.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaddilac
(*'
Male

Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: Caddilac]
    #20286025 - 07/17/14 11:41 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineCaddilac
(*'
Male

#20286038 - 07/17/14 11:43 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

damaged. Unlike cocaine and alcohol abusers, marijuana abusers appear to produce the same amount of dopamine with methylphenidate as people who aren’t users, Science
Replace appear with appeal. Put the first word with the last word here.
And only that is fact.

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#20286179 - 07/17/14 12:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse

Tells me all I need to know about the "study"

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: MrGiraffe] * 1
    #20286694 - 07/17/14 02:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

But as Volkow explains to Science, not being able to tease out cause and effect “is a limitation in a study like this one.”

This last sentence in the article means a lot. Super-biased articles normally don't have even one sentence revealing how limited the study might be.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #20287583 - 07/17/14 06:07 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:

What's wrong with NIDA?

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: 404]
    #20288197 - 07/17/14 08:36 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StateOfMind404 said:
Quote:

MrGiraffe said:

What's wrong with NIDA?

Nothing

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
    #20288492 - 07/17/14 10:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

also lol@pun in article title

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#20288589 - 07/17/14 10:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
also lol@pun in article title

Oh snap! I didn't even see that! :lol: Do you think that was intended?

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#20288614 - 07/17/14 10:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

StateOfMind404 said:
Quote:

MrGiraffe said:

What's wrong with NIDA?

Nothing

Per wikiwpedia
Medical Marijuana Monoply

NIDA has inside the US a government granted monopoly on the production of medical marijuana for research purposes. In the past, the institute has refused to supply marijuana to researchers who had obtained all other necessary federal permits. Medical marijuana researchers and activists claim that NIDA, which is not supposed to be a regulatory organization, does not have the authority to effectively regulate who does and doesn't get to do research with medical marijuana. Jag Davies of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) writes in MAPS Bulletin:[29]

“ Currently, the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has a monopoly on the supply of research-grade marijuana, but no other Schedule I drug, that can be used in FDA-approved research. NIDA uses its monopoly power to obstruct research that conflicts with its vested interests. MAPS had two of its FDA-approved medical marijuana protocols rejected by NIDA, preventing the studies from taking place. MAPS has also been trying without success for almost four years to purchase 10 grams of marijuana from NIDA for research into the constituents of the vapor from marijuana vaporizers, a non-smoking drug delivery method that has already been used in one FDA-approved human study. ”
NIDA administers a contract with the University of Mississippi to grow the nation's only legal cannabis crop for medical and research purposes,[30] including the Compassionate Investigational New Drug program. A Fast Company article pointed out, "Based on the photographic evidence, NIDA's concoction of seeds, stems, and leaves more closely resembles dried cat brier than cannabis".[31] An article in Mother Jones describes their crop as "brown, stems-and-seeds-laden, low-potency pot—what's known on the streets as "schwag""aka "Bobby Brown"[32] United States federal law currently registers cannabis as a Schedule I drug. Medical marijuana researchers typically prefer to use high-potency marijuana, but NIDA's National Advisory Council on Drug Abuse has been reluctant to provide cannabis with high THC levels, citing safety concerns:[30]

“ Most clinical studies have been conducted using cannabis cigarettes with a potency of 2-4% THC. However, it is anticipated that there will be requests for cannabis cigarettes with a higher potency or with other mixes of cannabinoids. For example, NIDA has received a request for cigarettes with an 8% potency. The subcommittee notes that very little is known about the clinical pharmacology of this higher potency. Thus, while NIDA research has provided a large body of literature related to the clinical pharmacology of cannabis, research is still needed to establish the safety of new dosage forms and new formulations. ”
Speaking before the National Advisory Council on Drug Abuse, Rob Kampia of the Marijuana Policy Project criticized NIDA for refusing to provide researcher Donald Abrams with marijuana for his studies, stating that "after nine months of delay, Dr. Leshner rejected Dr. Abrams' request for marijuana, on what we believe are political grounds that the FDA-approved protocol is inadequate."[33]

In May 2006, the Boston Globe reported that:[34]

Then again, it's not in NIDA's job description-or even, perhaps, in NIDA's interests-to grow a world-class marijuana crop. The institute's director, Nora Volkow, has stressed that it's "not NIDA's mission to study the medicinal use of marijuana or to advocate for the establishment of facilities to support this research." Since NIDA's stated mission "is to lead the Nation in bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction," federally supported marijuana research will logically tilt toward the potential harms, not benefits, of cannabis

Ricaurte's monkeys
For more details on this topic, see Retracted article on neurotoxicity of ecstasy.
NIDA has drawn criticism for continuing to provide funding to George Ricaurte, who in 2002 conducted a study that was widely touted as proving that MDMA caused dopaminergic neurotoxicity in monkeys.[35] His paper "Severe Dopaminergic Neurotoxicity in Primates After a Common Recreational Dose Regimen of MDMA ('Ecstasy')" in Science[36] was later retracted after it became clear that the monkeys had in fact been injected not with MDMA, but with extremely high doses of methamphetamine.[37] A FOIA request was subsequently filed by MAPS to find out more about the research and NIDA's involvement in it.[38][39]

Alan Leshner, publisher of Science and former director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), has come under fire for endorsing the botched study at its time of publication... Leshner did help NIDA bring home the bacon: NIDA's budget for Ecstasy research has more than quadrupled over the past five years, from $3.4 million to $15.8 million; the agency funds 85 percent of the world's drug-abuse research. In 2001, Leshner testified before a Senate subcommittee on "Ecstasy Abuse and Control"; critics say Leshner manipulated brain scans from a 2000 study by Dr. Linda Chang showing no difference between Ecstasy users and control subjects. But NIDA insists it is independent from political pressures. "We don't set policy; we don't create laws," says Beverly Jackson, the agency's spokesperson.

—Village Voice 2004

I take any info that comes from any organization funded by the government with a grain of salt (especially any that deal with marijuana), just like people who get elected only have one goal in mind (do whatever it takes to get re-elected), any organization funded by the feds only want to secure more funds from the feds.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#20291690 - 07/18/14 02:13 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I quit smoking pot 4-5 months ago and I feel way more satisfied with life than when I was toking up multiple times a day

I can relax when I want to, I can think way more clearly, I have more energy, and in general I feel much happier and find it much easier to laugh.

Pot is not all happy good fun, abusing that shit is bad, I am so glad I quit smoking pretty much all together. I'll take a hit or two every so often but I will never smoke that shit on a daily basis again

InvisibleMrGiraffe

Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: Uzziel]
    #20291783 - 07/18/14 02:29 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I havent smoked in a few months, but even when I did, I had got to the point of just taking a quick 1-2 tokes off a little wooden pipe about 3x a day, not enough to be walking around blazed out of my gourd (or even really enough to feel "high"), just enough to slow my mind down so I could focus on the task at hand (whatever that task was).  When I was younger, it was 3-5 blunts a day minimum (never to the head, social smoking mind you).  The last 2 years, I could probably count the blunts I've smoked on 2 hands, I don't know how I ever smoked as much as I did, and still don't know how some of the people I know smoke as much as they do.  All that being said, fuck the government, MJs benefits far out weigh any drawbacks (especially when used responsibly).

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#20292375 - 07/18/14 04:36 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I think "too much is too much" and it is ultimately up to the individual to decide what "too much" is. There is often a fine line between use and abuse. I don't have any kids but feel that when someone has a child, this fine line moves as your ability to be responsible is compromised by any habits.

I also feel that as with any substance, it might be for some but not for others, and some do fine being high all day every day while others prefer 1 or 2 tokes. In my 20's, I felt like I was wasting my time if I wasn't high every waking moment! Now, at 31, I prefer to get high usually once per day and if I miss a day or a week, it's not a big deal. Either my tolerance has dropped because I've smoked less or I've smoked less because my tolerance has dropped...not sure which, lol. I have noticed that strangely enough, my tolerance feels higher in social settings, especially when I smoke with people who have high tolerances.

I just know that it would behoove everyone to find their own balance.

--------------------

Edited by dwnlw2slw (07/18/14 04:39 PM)

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #20293789 - 07/18/14 09:28 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Obviously it's going to be bad if you intake multiple times a day, the science is showing that and it's not all just from NIDA. When i smoked, i never really did it more that a few times a week or at the most, once a night for a week straight. I noticed that i would get irritable after couple days of not smoking. I also noticed i would just feel hazy and burnt if i smoked more than once per day (or before whenever i went to sleep - sleep seems to reset everything.)

Last time i smoked was early march last year so it's been well over a year and i don't have mental fog or any other strange psychosis stuff going on like magical thinking.

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Marijuana Abuse Blunts the Brain’s Response to Dopamine [Re: 404]
    #20294107 - 07/18/14 10:29 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

If someone likes to intake multiple times per day, then that's their choice, even if all the studies in the world prove that they technically should not be able to enjoy it as much as they do, that they should be feeling anxious, and that their neuro-chemistry needs more time to re-balance itself. Depending on many changing factors in a person's life, including age, metabolism, work and family environments, etc, that person's cravings and capacity (and more) will also adjust according to their values, responsibilities, ethics, and so-on. So, when that person feels the need to adjust to a current/future situation that in non-conducive to being high, they will usually begin to not enjoy it as much, as frequently, or not at all. That said, yes, it's rare that a person will go their entire lives totally enjoying being high multiple times per day everyday.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds