Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineleon trout
Estimated Prophet
Male

Loc: The Timbers of Fennario
Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement
    #20277914 - 07/15/14 06:03 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

KUTV) Tensions between the Rainbow Family and law enforcement in Wasatch County have risen as more than 100 members of the group that celebrates peace, love and freedom have been arrested in the weeks since the gathering began.

Wasatch County Manager Mike Davis said the crimes are draining county resources. The 100-bed jail is filling up, and a mobile courtroom in the mountains is even handling appearances for Rainbow Family members charged with federal crimes.

"It's amazing. We're booking somebody in the jail almost every 40 to 50 minutes," Davis said. "We're doing about eight arrests per day."

The U.S. Forest Service, the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office and other assisting agencies are making the arrests.  Davis said dozens of members of the group have surrounded individual officers at times.

On Thursday, 2News captured the arrest of a man accused of interfering with police during an operation between local and federal agencies, in which officers searched a bus the group drove into the mountains. Several members objected to the authorities' "excessive" measures.

At the beginning of the gathering, 80 of the Rainbow Family occupied the jail, forcing county officials to transfer state prisoners elsewhere.

Wasatch County has a contract with the state to hold some of its prisoners, and losing them will cost the county, Davis said.

But a Rainbow Family member who goes by "Pua Mana, or "Flower Power," believes officers are harassing the counterculture group.

"If the jail is full, it's because law enforcement has been trying to go after anybody they can find for any little thing," she said.

Many offenses are drug-related. Some are felonies for possession of LSD and acid, Davis said.

Officers also hand out an average of 20 to 30 citations daily, Davis said.

One Rainbow Family Gathering attendee, Leilani Novak Garcia, known as "Hitler," allegedly stabbed a man at the event. She was arrested and charged with attempted murder.

Other members of the Rainbow Family said the incident has given the group a bad name.

"You're going to have mentally disturbed people in any sector of society," said Jonathan Keen, who traveled from Prescott, Ariz.

Two others have died during the event under circumstances that are not suspicious.

All vacations have been canceled for Wasatch County Sheriff's Office employees, Davis said, to handle the extra security. One employee canceled his honeymoon to help out. Most deputies are taking on an extra
20 to 30 hours of overtime per week. Davis expects a price tag of about $75,000 to $100,000 for all law enforcement costs related to the event.

Davis does not expect a sizable economic boost due to the thousands of visitors, but said some have been shoplifting at local businesses.

The gathering culminates in a July 4 "Prayer for Peace." An expected 8,000 visitors will then slowly leave the forest for the various parts of the country whence they came.

"It's just been so beautiful connecting and loving with my family here," Pua Mana said.

Davis said the group has been cleaning up after themselves well, although many local businesses are noticing an increase in their trash.

By: Christine McCarthy

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineleon trout
Estimated Prophet
Male

Loc: The Timbers of Fennario
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: leon trout] * 7
    #20277927 - 07/15/14 06:05 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

"It's amazing. We're booking somebody in the jail almost every 40 to 50 minutes," Davis said. "We're doing about eight arrests per day."

damn, math is tricky...

Quote:

Some are felonies for possession of LSD and acid

i long for the day i can have LSD & acid at the same damn time... lol...

--------------------
ā€œI read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, Iā€™m more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.ā€ 
  ~ St. Jerome of Marin
:gd_icon:the bus come by & i got on, that's when it all began:gd_icon:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: leon trout]
    #20277945 - 07/15/14 06:08 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Heh. Yeah, I went "huh?" when I read that too.

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Down South Flag
    #20278112 - 07/15/14 06:39 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leon trout said:

KUTV) Tensions between the Rainbow Family and law enforcement in Wasatch County have risen as more than 100 members of the group that celebrates peace, love and freedom

Quote:

leon trout said:

One Rainbow Family Gathering attendee, Leilani Novak Garcia, known as "Hitler," allegedly stabbed a man at the event. She was arrested and charged with attempted murder.

hmmmm
She doesn't seem too into the whole peace love and respect thing

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Absent Minded]
    #20278174 - 07/15/14 06:53 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't mess with anyone with the nickname "Hitler". :eek:

InvisibleAchuma
Aluminium Fedora
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smegmaguay
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Le_Canard] * 5
    #20278216 - 07/15/14 07:05 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

There is a Rainbow Task Force which follows the Rainbow Family around.  They consider the "group" to be a terrorist organization.  It's silly.  It's a bunch of people who get together and build kitchens.  Then they cook food in the kitchens and give the food to whoever shows up at the time the food is ready.  People are encouraged to donate food to kitchens.  When you plug in to a kitchen, you may find yourself digging a compost hole, or building an oven from rocks and mud. 

It's definitely not about breaking laws, disrespecting one another, or taking advantage of people.  It's about sharing resources and communing temporarily and intentionally.  Anyway....law enforcement really gets a boner for Rainbow Family because they suspect everyone of carrying drugs and walk around with dogs randomly searching people.  Occasionally they find drugs, and arrest people.  Just like anywhere else, except they know there's not a whole lot of cameras in the woods, so they're much bigger dicks about invading your space and initiating a search.

--------------------
Achuma's Psilocybe Extraction Pictorial

Pictured: crystalline extract derived from Psilocybe Cubensis.  See link for detailed instructions, as well as a lengthy discussion on the properties of light.

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Down South Flag
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Le_Canard]
    #20278229 - 07/15/14 07:10 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
I wouldn't mess with anyone with the nickname "Hitler". :eek:

you ain't kidding... what kinda nick name is that?
For a lady, no less?
heheh

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

Invisibleclockwork228
Perpetual Student
 User Gallery

#20278295 - 07/15/14 07:29 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

My rule is one or the other. I would never do both at the same time. Could be neurotoxic.

--------------------
Om Mani Padme Hum

Om Ah Hum Vajra Guru Padma Siddhi Hum

OfflineLSDreams
Contemplative Stoner
Male

Loc: Stuck in 3rd Dimension
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: leon trout] * 1
    #20279471 - 07/16/14 12:58 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leon trout said:
Quote:

damn, math is tricky...

Quote:

I think we should all be more worried that there are now only 6 hours in a day. :tinfoil:

--------------------

Plants of Interest ~ Lemon Balm, Cannabis, Ayahuasca, Datura, Salvia divinorum, Tabernanthe iboga, Opium poppy, Kratom, Khat, Coca, Ipomoea tricolor, Psilocybin mushrooms, Peyote ~ :peace: 

OfflineShortknight
Male

#20279931 - 07/16/14 06:14 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Good for these guys for doin this every year... Gotta show the country we can gather for any not so special reason in big numbers:yinyang:

--------------------
Did I say it too loud? Big heart? Or a little misleading!:musicnote:

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Shortknight]
    #20280169 - 07/16/14 08:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Fuckin' Utah man.

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Shroomopotamus] * 3
    #20280555 - 07/16/14 10:33 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

The Rainbow "Family" is just a way for a bunch of junkies to travel around together claiming they are fighting for world peace in order to avoid any negative attention. Really they just sit around shooting each other up. The "Families" were tainted long ago and will never be the same, they do not stand for the same thing they once did.

--------------------

InvisibleInto The Woods
Quarantine King
Male

#20280569 - 07/16/14 10:37 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:wellthatsweird:

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: MHbound]
    #20280586 - 07/16/14 10:40 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:
The Rainbow "Family" is just a way for a bunch of junkies to travel around together claiming they are fighting for world peace in order to avoid any negative attention. Really they just sit around shooting each other up. The "Families" were tainted long ago and will never be the same, they do not stand for the same thing they once did.

:lol:
I stopped by some van not too long ago since it was pulled over on the side of the road. Thought they may have needed a jump or something, but they were trying to find their way up to a mountain town on their way out to Utah.
I gave them directions & they guy was like "I should give you something for helping, want some smack? It's like ecstacy".
:facepalm:
No thank you.

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Shroomopotamus]
    #20280638 - 07/16/14 10:59 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomopotamus said:
Quote:

MHbound said:

I stopped by some van not too long ago since it was pulled over on the side of the road. Thought they may have needed a jump or something, but they were trying to find their way up to a mountain town on their way out to Utah.
I gave them directions & they guy was like "I should give you something for helping, want some smack? It's like ecstacy".
:facepalm:
No thank you.

--------------------

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: MHbound] * 2
    #20281493 - 07/16/14 02:18 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah these people are so earthy that they trash the woods and parks that they have their gathering in every year. The movement had a point in the 70s when it started but now its just bullshit.

--------------------

InvisibleAchuma
Aluminium Fedora
Male User Gallery

Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: 2859558484] * 1
    #20281803 - 07/16/14 03:36 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Rainbow keeps the Krusty Kids on the outskirts of the gathering.  If you ran into junk, speed, or alcohol, then you spent too long kicking it in "Hobo Alley".  Interesting that one single encounter with an individual is what you have chosen to characterize the entire rainbow family, Shroomopotamus.  Individuals in no way may represent the Rainbow Family, as it is not an organization and it does not consist of members or non-members.  Everyone is welcome to plug in in any way at any time.  It only makes sense that some small percentage of "anyone" would be into doing opiates.  Opiate use is by far NOT something that characterizes Rainbow Gatherings.

MHBound, your statement is without value.  It's hateful generalization and it is clearly based on no evidence.  I will point out that while in Utah, the authorities brought a bunch of needles to the woods, under the assumption that people would be using them.  It was nothing more than a PR trick to raise bad press for the Rainbow Family, which is used to paint a picture justifying the law enforcement officers who harass citizens who legally gather.  As far as I know, that donated box of needles was donated back to the city of Heber.

And wowitch17, you should do some research.  The US Forest Service annually publishes a cleanup report of the Rainbow Gathering sites.  No evidence that an event has occurred is present after 3-5 years (this means the trails people made by walking around in the woods are entirely composted and the disturbance in plant growth has been overcome by regeneration).  All the trash is gone within the month of July.  Rainbow Family has an excellent (and publicly available) track record with the forest service.

I plug in with the Rainbow Family sometimes.  I am not a junkie, and neither are 99.99% of the people I run into at gatherings.  In fact, I am a Shroomery member, and I find just about the same open minded nature there as I occasionally find here.  It surprises me that anything bad would be said about the Rainbow Family here on the Shroomery, since the two groups share much of the same core values.

[sarcasm]I'm curious as to what would happen if I called Dead Fam a bunch of junkies!  Jer-bear did the junk, that's for damn sure!  Of course, all their acid is laced with Fentanyl, cuz they luv the junk!  Don't eat steal-your-face blotter, it's microgram-active opiates![/sarcasm]

Please don't interpret what I just said as what I believe.  It's an example of blind speculative hatred which I observed in this thread and had to say something about.

--------------------
Achuma's Psilocybe Extraction Pictorial

Pictured: crystalline extract derived from Psilocybe Cubensis.  See link for detailed instructions, as well as a lengthy discussion on the properties of light.

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Achuma]
    #20282112 - 07/16/14 05:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Achuma said:

And wowitch17, you should do some research.  The US Forest Service annually publishes a cleanup report of the Rainbow Gathering sites.  No evidence that an event has occurred is present after 3-5 years (this means the trails people made by walking around in the woods are entirely composted and the disturbance in plant growth has been overcome by regeneration).  All the trash is gone within the month of July.  Rainbow Family has an excellent (and publicly available) track record with the forest service.

Its never okay to litter and disturb the ecosystems of national parks,  but when it happens under the guise of a pipe dream which doesn't benefit the general society in a tangible way its just stupid and almost offensive. Stop being a scumbag hippy.

--------------------

Edited by 2859558484 (07/16/14 05:05 PM)

InvisibleAchuma
Aluminium Fedora
Male User Gallery

Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: 2859558484] * 1
    #20282171 - 07/16/14 05:15 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

National parks?  Stop trolling!  Imagine Rainbow Family trying to build kitchens at Yellowstone...HA! 

btw I don't litter.  I pick up trash that I see on the ground, and it is not uncommon to do this.  It's so common that there is no trash left on the ground at any Rainbow sites.  You would know this if you looked into it.  Rainbow Family is also not the only people who use National Forest sites.  Go to a more frequented National Forest location and you will see, from the amount of litter, that assholes really do come in all walks of life, and they leave more trash in the high-population camp grounds than they do at the Rainbow Gathering (being that they leave any at all). 

I can see that you are not interested in doing the research; you would prefer to be ignorant and hateful than to be educated, and that is your own personal problem.  Just don't spread misinformation (opinions which are represented as information are also misinformation) at a website that is about access to information and the prevention of misinformation.

I would like to see your opinion about Burning Man.  There's so many people there interfering with the ecosystem of the desert, and what's worse, they go to the same place every year and re-interfere with it!  Plus they charge money for admission, and you need to bring your own water.  All these people, bringing water, pissing it onto the playa, making it muddy....

Edited by Achuma (07/16/14 05:19 PM)

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: Tensions Rise Between Rainbow Family And Law Enforcement [Re: Achuma]
    #20282178 - 07/16/14 05:16 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Achuma said:
MHBound, your statement is without value.  It's hateful generalization and it is clearly based on no evidence.  I will point out that while in Utah, the authorities brought a bunch of needles to the woods, under the assumption that people would be using them.  It was nothing more than a PR trick to raise bad press for the Rainbow Family, which is used to paint a picture justifying the law enforcement officers who harass citizens who legally gather.  As far as I know, that donated box of needles was donated back to the city of Heber.

You got me, it is "based on no evidence". I don't know anything, I don't know people who go to these things. I don't know how old you are but it is not the same as it was. It has been fucked up by a bunch of junky hippy wannabes. There are still those people who believe they are doing good but mostly it is just a way for people to go to the woods, trade drugs, have sex, and trash the environment. There are people who offer to clean up and keep the peace etc etc but mostly it is not that way I don't care what you say.

Instead of saying there are always those people in any group causing trouble, now it's more like there are always good people in any group keeping the peace of a bunch of monkeys. The bad outweigh the good now.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order